Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

coconono posted:

ok, I'll just refigure my project specs and see what I can do with PC hardware. I was shooting for the Retro Pi because of the small form factor but I think I can squeeze a PC tower or breadbox in the spot I had laid out.

Thanks for being for the help!

No problem, hit me up if you've got any questions. I've spent 300x more time setting up new emulator systems than I've actually spent playing them. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Medullah posted:

No problem, hit me up if you've got any questions. I've spent 300x more time setting up new emulator systems than I've actually spent playing them. :)

Truly the hallmark of a Pi owner interested in emulation.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Wee Bairns posted:

Truly the hallmark of a Pi owner interested in emulation.

I spent 30 or 40 hours going through and updating my ROM library to remove duplicates, correct game names, and add box art images for everything.

Then I shut down the Pi to pull a backup image to my laptop, and I found the memory card was corrupted beyond repair.

This, too, is the full emulation experience.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Medullah posted:

Id love to do a small form pc emulator for my tv that could run ps2 games or even wii stuff honestly. Is there a guide at there that says buy this and that

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've been in the market to replace my Retro Pi and honestly I've thought more and more about just buying a Series S then plunking down the ten bucks to get a dev kit license and turn it into a Retroarch box. From what I've seen it handles Saturn pretty well and can even tackle PS2 in some places.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

barkbell posted:

Id love to do a small form pc emulator for my tv that could run ps2 games or even wii stuff honestly. Is there a guide at there that says buy this and that

Give ETA Prime's Youtube a shot, he does cheap small form-factor emulation PC builds fairly often.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Drone posted:

Give ETA Prime's Youtube a shot, he does cheap small form-factor emulation PC builds fairly often.

Do not sub to his channel if you are a "buy tons of emulation devices you will painstakingly set up and then never use" person-- ETA Prime will cost you thousands

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RichterIX posted:

Do not sub to his channel if you are a "buy tons of emulation devices you will painstakingly set up and then never use" person-- ETA Prime will cost you thousands

Can confirm.

* Arcade1up Street Fighter Machine
* Raspberry Pi 3 x2
* Raspberry Pi 4 x2
* Rec Room Masters 4 person control panel

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I spent 30 or 40 hours going through and updating my ROM library to remove duplicates, correct game names, and add box art images for everything.

Then I shut down the Pi to pull a backup image to my laptop, and I found the memory card was corrupted beyond repair.

This, too, is the full emulation experience.

A blessed experience.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Policenaut posted:

I've been in the market to replace my Retro Pi and honestly I've thought more and more about just buying a Series S then plunking down the ten bucks to get a dev kit license and turn it into a Retroarch box. From what I've seen it handles Saturn pretty well and can even tackle PS2 in some places.

I saw the original MVG video, but has anyone here actually tried it?

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008
I did, it runs We love Katamari flawlessly (though it's the only PS2 game I tried, so I can't vouch for other games).
I tried a few other GBA, SNES and PS1 games without any problem.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

I saw the original MVG video, but has anyone here actually tried it?

I did it on my Series X and then never used it.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
is it illegal to gently hint where one could find premade images, preferably one for a 128gb card? the arcade punk links never work for me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

John Romero posted:

is it illegal to gently hint where one could find premade images, preferably one for a 128gb card? the arcade punk links never work for me.

Like, you can't download them or you can't get the images to work? I built my own but those are the recommended ones

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hope this is the thread for this. I've been wanting to build a handheld raspberry pi emulater thingie forever. I'm a machinist and also have access to a nice 3d printer. There's so many different examples of this kind of thing I'm not even sure where to begin if I wanted to build my own from scratch. Was hoping someone might have a general direction to point me in.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RichterIX posted:

His videos kept popping up in my recs and I never watched them but now I’ve watched one and I’m thinking about mini PC builds.

I upgraded my Retropie to a Pi 4 about a month ago.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

njsykora posted:

His videos kept popping up in my recs and I never watched them but now I’ve watched one and I’m thinking about mini PC builds.

I upgraded my Retropie to a Pi 4 about a month ago.

I've been thinking about this too, work from home sapped the desire to sit at a PC completely from both me and my wife, but I like to play around with emulators and she likes to play the Sims. Twice a day I'm on Facebook Marketplace eyeing old Lenovo Thinkcentres to put in our living room.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There was a ThinkCentre in a pawn shop round here for fairly cheap and I considered picking it up multiple times and now someone else has bought it. I now very much want to grab a random small PC from one of those places and see what it can do.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RichterIX posted:

I've been thinking about this too, work from home sapped the desire to sit at a PC completely from both me and my wife, but I like to play around with emulators and she likes to play the Sims. Twice a day I'm on Facebook Marketplace eyeing old Lenovo Thinkcentres to put in our living room.

I built a PC, set up Launchbox and bought this magnificent beast. Originally wanted to build a cabinet but this is more versatile.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
get thee behind me, satan

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Speaking of cabinets, does anyone know if someone makes a cabinet designed to hold a tankstick? I got one for free, but I'm on the fence about just selling it and buying a cab and wiring up my own controls or trying to find something that works with the tankstick. I finally have the itch to move the emu PC to a cab now that my Sinden guns showed up

I might just get a pedestal and wall mount the monitor, but a cabinet would be nice to have to go with my pinball machines.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pvt. Public posted:

Speaking of cabinets, does anyone know if someone makes a cabinet designed to hold a tankstick? I got one for free, but I'm on the fence about just selling it and buying a cab and wiring up my own controls or trying to find something that works with the tankstick. I finally have the itch to move the emu PC to a cab now that my Sinden guns showed up

I might just get a pedestal and wall mount the monitor, but a cabinet would be nice to have to go with my pinball machines.

Recroommasters makes one. It's actually the same cabinet needed for my control panel I posted a bit up. They're out of stock with no ETA because getting supplies is a nightmare right now.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Medullah posted:

Recroommasters makes one. It's actually the same cabinet needed for my control panel I posted a bit up. They're out of stock with no ETA because getting supplies is a nightmare right now.

Oh drat, no idea how I missed checking with RRM. I'll wait for this as it looks perfect for what I want to do.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hey fellow masochists.

I have a RetroPie tangent question. I have a USB memory card reader, but for whatever reason it doesn't recognize the MicroSD card I use for my RetroPie in Win32DiskImage. Wasn't a huge deal, I just used my laptop to image it as it had a built in reader.

Well, I sold the laptop, so I need to look into why my PC won't work. Or buy a new card reader. Anyone ever run into this?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
That’s normal, windows gets mad at pi sd cards because of the way it orders partitions, iirc.

There’s some software recommendations here:

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/12806/read-a-file-from-the-raspberry-pis-sd-card-with-windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

I bought a Mister FPGA for my retro gaming needs, so I started wondering what I should do with my old Pi. I decided to turn it into disk drive for my c64:

https://cbm-pi1541.firebaseapp.com

I think I’m going to print out a sweet casing for it as well. Maybe this one:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4611954