Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Milo dusts himself off, brushing the flour from his hands and unrolling his sleeves. With the hard work preparing the kitchen done for the morning - or at least done to the point where the Isa, first scullary maid could handle the rest - now is his chance to make a needed trip into town.

"Isa, take these loaves out when done, I'm going to make orders today." Seeing her dismayed look, Milo smiles reassuringly at her, "You can do it, I promise. Family lunch is set out in the larder, we've done everything together - no surprises. I'll be back for supper and family dinner. Get Torit to give you some of the better "ruined" cheese she keeps for herself for dinner. Don't forget to... "

Not enough time. Only three days to get out just wasnt enough warning. There was no way to get everyone ready before then, most would need to be left behind, but they'd be fine, lot of practice keeping their heads down.

"... and don't forget to give Gerard his usual tea, or he'll pass out during family lunch. You can do this. I promise." he finishes, nodding approvingly at the now steeled and ready gaze of his young protege. Hanging up his messy apron, Milo pats the aged hand of "chef" Gerard, a doddering relic kept alive on fish broth and tea strong enough for him to work up enough to "oversee" the upstairs serving of "his" food. Sweet, harmless old man. After a quick check on the milk maid - her butter was sweet as ever today - and quick note left on the desk of the housekeeper, the oldest and least missed horse carries him onwards towards town, and Greta.

I'll bet Greta knows something, even if she doesn't know yet. I also need to tell gran...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Milo social combat

Milo orders a pint of the weakest of house ales, if for no reason but to do what is expected of him. "Ah Greta, nothing but to bask in your beauty and enjoy your lovely company" he starts , in the same vein of meeting expectations. The equally expected moment of silence as she continues to polish a spotless mug passes. He presses onward, "I've come to get a supply of your finest cider and ake for the Family. Have your suppliers been.. Short recently, of good or poor? We'll need a lot, you see"

The woman nods, and while she doesn't pay much mind to your compliments, she does write down eagerly your order, and you see something that might perhaps be a smile. She waves at an hand, dismissively. "Oh, I get my supplies regularly enough, thank the High God! It's hard enough making an honest living without sudden shortages or famines." You get the impression that she knows what really interests you, and she's tip-toeing around it.

"Of course, of course.." Milo replies, pausing to quaff deeply and think quickly. "Gerard -our Chef, you know- is always worried about being caught unprepared for guests and.." He leans in conspiratorially and continues sotto voce, "I've been hearing rumors that some guests might be coming in soon. Between us, nobles from the big city!"

Crafty Greta might not be able to resist correcting a piece of WRONG gossip, proving her superior knowledge of such things and the status implied.

"Guests!" Greta exclaims. "Your masters haven't entertained guests since I was a wee slip of a girl! What are you trying to pull here?"

"Not all guests are very entertaining, or at all welcome or invited! You know as good as I how nobles are with that kind of thing. Seems like something is going on, the whole town is getting itchy like kingsmen or tax takers are coming "

The woman, not at all impressed with your implications, punches the counter, attracting the attention of several patrons. "Aye, kingsmen! And they're darkening our doorstep because you and those like you wouldn't act like decent folks!"

There are sounds of assent from the patrons of the bar.

Regarding Greta with an even gaze, then looking out to blankly stare down the sudden audience clearly paying more attention to his life than their own business, Milo quietly but clearly audibly returns, "Decent? I work hard day in and day out to provide for my kin, just likke any decent man here. "

"But the rest of these decent men aren't going to drag the kingsmen into Serra!"

"What happens if the start picking up our children and throwing them in those horrible schools of theirs, uh?"

"Don't forget, they're my kin too." Milo snaps, though he manages to keep HIS voice down. He sighs and finishes his tankard. I didn't want to make a scene, but of course I should have known better coming here. "I'm not going to bring kingsmen to Serra, you know that if you stop and think about it. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't come for other reasons, which I think you also know."

She places both arms on the counter and fulminates you with a look. "Don't act all hoity toity just because you work for a noble now! Do you really think that they're coming here for Rufus here, or Zoey, or me? No! Because we're High God fearing people who don't go messing about with magic and its ilk!"

Milo snorts "I'm no gizzard wizard and you know it. They wouldn't be coming for any of us villagers because of magic but because they know that not one of us are their friends. Not like us both here, is from here. Don't act like you don't feel that sting, Greta. "

"You might not be a wizard, but you still tangle with powers that ought not to be touched! Everyone knows how much unsightly passion you put into your cooking! That's dangerous stuff, that's how giants are born!"

"That's not what you said last time I brought you a strawberry fairycake, Greta. What was it you said? 'Perfection on earth, better than...' Well, let's just leave that part out. You know you will miss me when I'm gone." Milo observes wryly.

Red-faced and irritated, Greta lets it slip, amidst a rain of words that we will not repeat for the sake of public decency, that perhaps you should join that bloody caravan once it comes from Ramhorn.

That's interesting because Ramhorn to the east. Far from the sea; which would mean that the caravan will be landbound.

[[presented without edits, outside cleaning ooc material]]

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Milo - Interlude

Leaving the Frosty Barrel with all due speed, Milo drops by the market square quickly to satisfy the supposed pretext for his village visit. With that work quickly disposed of, he stops briefly to consider his next errand - a trip to visit his 'dear grandmother', stout old fishmatron and family... Organizer. Tyrant?

From Ramhorn.. Well, first things first, let me tell gran before she hears from someone else.

[...]

Luckily she was not at home, as Milo hoped. His oblique path from the market seemed to have successfully sidestepped her route to buy the days fresh vegetables. A babysitting cousin left with a note scrawled on the back of a package scrap promised to pass word on, both to grab and to Eldred of he came by. Milo couldn't think of anyone else in the family in Serra who would need particular warning. Hopefully his cousin would already have an ear to the wind, but if not he must be warned to get ready.

Now what? Hopefully Eldred will get my note and meet me at dusk. Until then, I should make ready. If they're coming in caravan they'll need to use a road, I should figure out how to catch them coming. Possibly a yo...

Lost in his plotting, Milo collects his borrowed horse and sets off back through town towards the woods and his kitchen in the manor house beyond.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Milo - The Forest

Seeing no harm in delaying for a short time in the name of fresh mushrooms, Milo stops his mount and tethers her in a small glade at the side of the path. Humming softly to himself he sets off into the trees, eyes down to catch sight of any tasty camouflaged boletes or rarer varieties. It might not hurt to gather a few amanitas either, in a separate sack...

A short time later, just as Milo seriously considers taking his full bags of mushrooms and turning back, he notices something strange. It looks like there are tracks - people tracks - almost invisible in the soft earth of the forest floor. They would have entirely escaped his attention if he hadnt already been lookong intently right at them by pure chance. Actually... right in front fungus eyes that patch of thick moss just finished springing back into shape in front of his eyes, which means that someone must have JUST passe...

And then Milo bumps headfirst into a figure standing stock still behind a tree, staring daggers into the top of his head. Milo yelps in shock!

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Milo - forest chase

Before Milo can regain his composure and hiss even a simple question, the girl - the woman, is already moving on.

Was that the wilder girl, the huntsmans daughter? Patricia... Tarea... Teresa! gently caress wait!

Milo scrambles after Teresa and the unknown 'archer', quickly catching up to the former through the sparse underbrush in this part of the forest. Up ahead, his back just in sight, the archer winds and weaves his way onwards at a rapid clip. Intent on tracking her quarry, Teresa ignores or doesn't notice Milo's attempts to quietly communicate, stymied by the need to keep an eye to the ground and avoid any sudden gullies, roots, or conspicuously loud branches.

Oh no, berry brambles. Surely these 'seasoned woodsmen' will turn asi-no, guess not.

The modest and easily traversed forest undergrowth gradually give a way to a thicket of blackberries. Unlike roses, these bushes don't have true thorns, instead defending their sticky treat with tiny scratching prickles. This is worse, not better. The white underside of each leaf latches onto almost any surface, snagging clothing and skin alike and the tiny hair like spines itch and burn. Milo slows down, taking the time to go around the densest of the bushes instead of pressing through. This proves a good strategy, and on the other side he misses sight of the archer, closer than ever. Looking back, he sees Teresa cautiously approaching.

Keeping his closer position without being detected is easier now, as the dominant tree in this part of the forest are twisty oaks, and the afternoon light had been muted by a sudden cover of thick clouds. The archer seems to be slowing, and Teresa is easily catching up. Hopefully they will not have much further to go.

Suddenly Milo's hairs all stand on end at the same time, and there is a monstrous screeching from just outside the forest, in the direction of the local church. The archer turns towards it. "What the...?" He asks, before nocking an arrow and going to check it out.

Milo shivers, looking back at Teresa questioningly. Without hesitation, she turns and follows the archer, tacking directly towards town. With another, even more colorful series of quiet swearing, Milo comes behind.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Milo

Milo looks over his shoulder with alarm, his surprised face quickly twisting in a sardonic expression. With an expansive gesture, he steps to the side and sweeps an arm out to encompass the scene before him: The giant woman surrounded by a full array of assorted people and onlookers, including the mysterious archer and the slightly less mysterious Teresa.

"Yes, thank you, I did notice." As an afterthought he quickly hisses "and don't mention it!

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Milo

Confronted by the chaos of battle aftermath in front of the church, Milo does what comes most naturally: no time to ask questions, only time to act. The longer the scene persists the more dangerous for everyone the eventual reckoning will be, and with the Axemen caravan so close now is NOT the time.

Milo turns and claps his hands on his cousin's shoulders, giving him a significant look as he says "I'm going to go get some of the medicine you got for me from Gran's house. I'll be back as soon as I can."

I don't know if I can fix this, I haven't had enough practice, what if I make things wor- no. You can. Don't run.

"Do what you can to calm her down, that lightning is probably maddening her. Saving that, knock her out"

With that thought spoken aloud, something occurs to Milo: "Here, lend me your ear, and take this!" he says, holding out an eye to Eldred.

CaPensiPraxis fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 13, 2017

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Milo

Arriving and getting straight down to work, Milo pauses only to nod to the assembled giant subduers and collect his eye, pointedly ignoring the archer and the implied threat of his readied weapon. He smiles as he takes the hand of the chained giant to lead her, trailing her grounding chain behind her, as deep into the wreckage of the church as her tether allows. It is a testament to her weakened state that she not only follows, but does not flinch back from Milo's frighteningly poor attempt at an "comforting smile", a farce he seems committed to. As he lights a small burner drawn from the leather valise he brought with him, the smile thankfully drops away, anxiety and concentration winning over bravado.

[[The transformation effect was a result of Cyprien's magic botch (a roll of 1). Rolled a 7 to fix, success! Cyprien's caster level is 1 so this process takes an hour.]]

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Milo

Clearly there is a sordid mystery here, but the butler is unlikely to divulge now, given that Milo has no leverage to pry with. While it appears that this man would be perfectly happy to discuss in depth the doings of his peers - at least those at arms length - he seems to be willing to go to great lengths to keep his own private life private.

"Alright. I will attempt to recover your letter. First, I need something from you: Write out and address a letter.. actually make that two letters with whatever you use to seal them, just the same as the stolen letter. The contents are not important, copy out a shopping list or the latest edicts, anything." Milo asks, thinking ahead. It could prove useful to have some decoy letters on hand, in more ways than one.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Milo

Followers.. Let's see how determined they are...

Milo slowly picks up his pace, trying to smoothly move through increasingly crowded streets to lose his tail without them noticing him noticing. Weaving back and forth, in and out of storefronts he attempts to get behind the two following him.

Are they after the ink I'm carrying, or my blood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
[[We finished the letter snatching scene on discord, willl post it in this spot once it's cleaned]]

• Locked thread