Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Selkie Myth posted:

Who's that?

You almost got a :golfclap: but then I realized you were you so you get a :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You left out the bit where a big party of how they kill the gods is through applied sociology. :v:

They fall! They die!

Yeah, that's definitely the most interesting part of the setup. They cause gods to completely implode by changing the culture in various ways to undermine their portfolios and some of their ideas get wild. Like their current plan to take out the god with domain over fair competition is to essentially get into the Olympics, cheat outrageously (while also randomly empowering other competitors and crippling others) then blow the whole place up and dedicating the whole thing to him.

They're horrible cultural imperialists and it is fascinating trying to figure out if the insane things they're doing are justified or not, even if they are saving people's souls from being devoured.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hawkperson posted:

I was really curious to read the passage honestly but the extreme online stuff is so distracting, it makes it really hard to get through. The worldbuilding is kinda interesting but the characters are very much…not. Can one of you give me a rough idea of where I can find this particular passage so I can just jump straight to it

quote:

"No problem," I said, accepting the milkshake she handed me. I'd picked key lime pie for my flavor; chocolate was a perfectly serviceable flavor, don't get me wrong, but the sweet tang of lime custard was the best thing ever crafted by human hands.

"And Nicky, I saw this in a youtube video-"

"Oh my god it's a fluffernutter milkshake," Veronica whispered, after taking her first sip. She turned to face Akane, starry-eyed. "I love you," she said, genuine and heartfelt. Apparently that was all it took to get through the royal exterior.

"We all do," I said, reaching up and patting the top of Akane's head. "She's fantastic."

"Gay," Akane said.

"Aren't we all?" I asked, looking around.

"Bisexual, in point of fact," Veronica said, taking a brief break from making love to her milkshake.

"Oh, huh," I said.

it's actually somehow more cringe than i remember because there's some joss whedon stuff before this before it jumps right into whatever this is. nobody in this story talks like a real person, which is actually fine for a super hero story because they're supposed to be caricatures, but they don't talk like that either, they specifically talk like really online people tweeting at each other. chapter 5 if you want. there's not really more context, the story likes to open on scenes that are already in progress so to speak. most of the preceding text is describing Veronica who is apparently a star trek alien

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
normally I wouldn't be irritated this badly but goddamn it i kind liked the ideas before the dialogue revealed itself to be Zoomer Firefly (someone should make this meme YouTube video)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Man. TWI has its faults but Erin straight up making magical drugs is just amazing

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

it's actually somehow more cringe than i remember because there's some joss whedon stuff before this before it jumps right into whatever this is. nobody in this story talks like a real person, which is actually fine for a super hero story because they're supposed to be caricatures, but they don't talk like that either, they specifically talk like really online people tweeting at each other. chapter 5 if you want. there's not really more context, the story likes to open on scenes that are already in progress so to speak. most of the preceding text is describing Veronica who is apparently a star trek alien

oh lmfao I had just so firmly categorized that dialogue into Extremely Online Bullshit that I didn’t even think about what they were actually saying. Well sorry I made you dig it up but yep that’s the exact point where I went “this is unreadable” and stopped.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah lol. It's literally worse than anything else I've read.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hawkperson posted:

oh lmfao I had just so firmly categorized that dialogue into Extremely Online Bullshit that I didn’t even think about what they were actually saying. Well sorry I made you dig it up but yep that’s the exact point where I went “this is unreadable” and stopped.

The author is a Katalepsis fan and hangs out in their discord, looks like they decided that Katalepsis wasn't gay or anime enough and had to write their own book. I'm not sure if the two characters moving in together immediately was a lesbian trope or just bad writing.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Lone Goat posted:

The author is a Katalepsis fan and hangs out in their discord, looks like they decided that Katalepsis wasn't gay or anime enough and had to write their own book. I'm not sure if the two characters moving in together immediately was a lesbian trope or just bad writing.
stop making me want to read this

i have too many things to read, low standards, and am way too online

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

That's a trope. There's even a joke:

What do lesbians bring on a second date?
A U-haul.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Larry Parrish posted:

lol, it is worse than I imagined.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

That's a trope. There's even a joke:

What do lesbians bring on a second date?
A U-haul.

I literally put this joke in an early chapter of Katalepsis. The stereotype is a major staple of lesbian subculture, yeah.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

God drat, that is dire. That excerpt is actually kind of depressing, because it gives the impression of an author who has genuinely lost touch with how not-online (or even more specifically not-"online geek culture fandom stuff") communication works.

edit: Kinda depends on the age of the author, though. If they're at one of those ages where everyone is awkward (which I vaguely define as ~<24, though obviously depends on the person) it's a little less strange.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as someone who was around ~~ queer leftist spaces ~~ in my early 20s I can assure you that kind of speech is absolutely internet brain poisoning and not just confused teen/young adult stuff. so, like, a few years ago lol.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

as someone who was around ~~ queer leftist spaces ~~ in my early 20s I can assure you that kind of speech is absolutely internet brain poisoning and not just confused teen/young adult stuff. so, like, a few years ago lol.

in the elden days of several months ago~

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's just classic whedon/draco in leather pants dialogue in its 2022 form

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Selkie, you are a brave, brave author. Godspeed. o7

I liked the bit about shields.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Selkie, you are a brave, brave author. Godspeed. o7

I liked the bit about shields.

My comments have some angry remarks, and my patreon is at +128, SO.

Like. What some people don't get is the alternative was writing THE END in a less than satisfactory spot. There just was no more story, but I wanted to tell so much more without a lame AF 600 year "And Elaine lived her life happily, slowly leveling" timeskip.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I don't really care either way, but I think the explanation would have been better if you owned it and said it's required to get to where you want the story to go/end and didn't keep repeating that there's no more story. The latter is a little bizarre, because there are multiple plotlines both in motion and setup ready to go.

This also may be me skimming the side stories, but I did not realize they were from a different time period. This in turn meant I thought the world was bigger and more developed than it apparently was.

asur fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 6, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

asur posted:

This also may be me skimming the side stories, but I did not realize they were from a different time period. This in turn meant I thought the world was bigger and more developed than it apparently was.
lol same

was not going to be the first to admit it

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

asur posted:

I don't really care either way, but I think the explanation would have been better if you owned it and said it's required to get to where you want the story to go/end and didn't keep repeating that there's no more story. The latter is a little bizarre, because there are multiple plotlines both in motion and setup ready to go.

I honestly didn't believe there was any *interesting* story that wouldn't be completely forced. Or lame. Or pulling stuff from my rear.

I tried to seed a number of hints in the side story/interludes that this was the far future, but I kept them relatively low-key, to not overshadow the story itself. Two that I remember is that Iona mentioned the "Ancient Remus Empire, long gone" and the dwarven generation being at 525 now, VS Elaine's 94. However, I clearly failed to fully and properly communicate that. My bad!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Selkie Myth posted:

I honestly didn't believe there was any *interesting* story that wouldn't be completely forced. Or lame. Or pulling stuff from my rear.

I tried to seed a number of hints in the side story/interludes that this was the far future, but I kept them relatively low-key, to not overshadow the story itself. Two that I remember is that Iona mentioned the "Ancient Remus Empire, long gone" and the dwarven generation being at 525 now, VS Elaine's 94. However, I clearly failed to fully and properly communicate that. My bad!
I figured that Ancient Remus came before Current Remus (hey it worked for the Holy Roman Empire)

as for the dwarves I just shrugged and figured maybe 94 generations in one place/clan (which doesn't quite square with Night being 1 but it kinda works, I am not very smart)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Can someone state exactly what happened in Selkie's story? I dropped it several months ago(no offense) because the combo of the long switch to another character perspective and the dwarves bored me to tears.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Peachfart posted:

Can someone state exactly what happened in Selkie's story? I dropped it several months ago(no offense) because the combo of the long switch to another character perspective and the dwarves bored me to tears.

Multi-century time-warp where everything else changed but MC did not. Last I checked, content from the new time period had not made it to RR yet.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
“I didn’t really read your story but I didn’t understand the central concept of it” is not a very damning statement, except of yourself I guess. I personally found it pretty obvious that the side stories were from the future.

Silynt fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 7, 2022

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I haven't kept up with dragon moon in forever but didn't the very first side story introduce that the MC's oath thingy became mainstream? Thought that clearly showed her influence in the future.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, the side story stuff has been really clearly the future since the first time it was in the story. Like it really could not have been more obvious without a character turning to the camera and going 'AND THIS TAKES PLACE WELL AFTER THE TIME OF ELAINE.'

Like even if you're actively skimming it you should still pick up on it because there's just so much that says it outright.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

LLSix posted:

Multi-century time-warp where everything else changed but MC did not. Last I checked, content from the new time period had not made it to RR yet.
She just went off to dance with the fairies. It was a brave rescue mission and they did take appropriate precautions, but there's always some level of risk.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

I noticed the time skip in the side story of BTDEM, and stopped reading because of it. Didn't interest me because there's no way the characters would ever interact with the main story, so what's the point ... Oopsie !

Now where here, and with a very mean cliffhanger ! Enough to get me to join the Patreon for a month. There's to many good authors and I'm to stingy, so I like to switch 5$ extra per month around to different authors.

Just wish it wasn't such a pain to do so . Reading 20 back chapters on patreon is so painfull, always scrolling back and forth for each chapter, and the website is crawling because it's trying to show everything at once. Needs a button to reverse the order from a certain point on, why can't extra chapters just be on Royalroad ?

Oh, nevermind - why don't all authors do it like Selkie and have table of content, that makes things so much easier !

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
yeah also chiming in to say it was dead freaking obvious that the sidestory was in a time far in the future, especially with the mention of immortals

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

MonikaTSarn posted:

Just wish it wasn't such a pain to do so . Reading 20 back chapters on patreon is so painfull, always scrolling back and forth for each chapter, and the website is crawling because it's trying to show everything at once. Needs a button to reverse the order from a certain point on, why can't extra chapters just be on Royalroad ?

Oh, nevermind - why don't all authors do it like Selkie and have table of content, that makes things so much easier !

I recommend opening the chapters in tabs. If the author hasn't done a good job indexing their work like Selkie, you can just scroll down opening each chapter in a new tab until you get back to the non-patreon stuff. Then you close the current tab, switch to the far right tab which will be the most recent, and read them one by one.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The Millenial Mage author figured out how to add previous and next links to all his chapters in Patreon. It's been a wonderful improvement https://www.patreon.com/posts/chapter-150-long-67699377.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ar'Kendrithyst's Patreon provides ebooks, which I honestly prefer to reading on a web page.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm the opposite. I actually downloaded a different ebook app so I could turn on infinite scroll because I got real used to it reading serials that now I prefer it to whole page flip.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

So much for pirate’s attempt to scale back chapter length. 8 chapters into volume 9 and out comes a 40k chapter.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
It's annoying because the story would actually be substantially better if it was half as long, and came out twice as slowly. But instead she keeps working herself into collapse to write too drat many words.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Patrick Spens posted:

It's annoying because the story would actually be substantially better if it was half as long, and came out twice as slowly. But instead she keeps working herself into collapse to write too drat many words.

I agree. It's just like with Wildbow where the author's worst tendencies are reinforced by their fan base. The number one thing I see people praise Pirateaba for is not their plotting, their characters, their themes, their use of language etc but that they write 'so many words! look at all the words! look how many words their are!'

Just last month I saw someone on reddit say that Pirateaba was the greatest fantasy author of all time and their #1 point was that they wrote so many words.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/v489y5/pirateaba_and_the_wandering_inn_just_did_the/

I don't even know how to respond to people when they say stuff like this because it's not an argument I ever see with regard to other authors or even other forms of stories. I mean nobody has ever told me that the best TV show ever is the one with the most episodes.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I mean, you've said it before already--if you love it, the massive wordcount is a bonus. There's not much more to it than that. I like the words, and more words that I enjoy is better than fewer words that I enjoy, and the most enjoyable parts of reading chapters are the parts that one might normally cut out if you were to truncate the story for brevity. For what it's worth, I do in fact like the plotting, characters, and themes.

That said, I'm not opposed to (and in fact have suggested) an abridged version of some sort for people who don't have literally all the time in the world to read it, because I do think it's cringey to actually use that as a main selling point for people who don't know what it is (and for anyone who isn't already invested, it's extremely an anti-selling point).

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lot 49 posted:

I agree. It's just like with Wildbow where the author's worst tendencies are reinforced by their fan base. The number one thing I see people praise Pirateaba for is not their plotting, their characters, their themes, their use of language etc but that they write 'so many words! look at all the words! look how many words their are!'

Just last month I saw someone on reddit say that Pirateaba was the greatest fantasy author of all time and their #1 point was that they wrote so many words.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/v489y5/pirateaba_and_the_wandering_inn_just_did_the/

I don't even know how to respond to people when they say stuff like this because it's not an argument I ever see with regard to other authors or even other forms of stories. I mean nobody has ever told me that the best TV show ever is the one with the most episodes.

Pretty sure pirateaba gets praised for the sheer breadth of characters and her ability to maintain distinct voices for all of them, and yes, the huge word count is helpful for keeping all these plates spinning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
pirateaba write too many words because the rodents keep getting bigger