Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to recommend The Dao of Magic, an english xianxia love letter written primarily in a stream-of-consciousness style, about an absurdly powerful "brain" cultivator that is smited by gods down to a lower realm with magic instead of qi. He needs to rebuild his foundation from scratch while preventing a qi-based apocalypse, with the help of some disciples. I think the non-MC characterization is weak, but I still find it to be a gripping series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

The Shortest Path posted:

So do you guys want me putting everything that everyone recommends into the OP, or just the stuff that a lot of people are reading?

I second devildragon that the OP should be curated to only the highest quality/best introductions to web serials. There are definitely popular stories not well suited for that purpose.

Also, a clearly marked division between finished and unfinished stories would be prudent, I think. Some are really picky about not reading anything they don't know will be finished.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 26, 2017

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
In my folly, I have decided to join the legions of the dead serialist. I've near enough written for the first few chapters, since revised several times, but I'm a massive baby. Before I publish anything, or edit it into neurotic oblivion, I'd like some feedback from a goon or two. Not on everything I have written, or even the first chapter. Just the first scene, where I'd like you to answer at least two questions: 1. Did the first paragraph hook you? & 2. Do you have a desperate need to read the next scene?

Please PM if interested. Sorry if I should have posted this request in CC instead, but I figured a section of my target audience would give the most representative answers to those two questions.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

Updated. I'm not going to usually spruik my own updates in here, but I think this chapter is a pretty good indication of the sort of thing I'm going for. It was one of my favorites to write, definitely.

I haven’t read your serial yet, but I noticed you’ve already hit #18 on top web fiction. Good job man!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

If anyone is looking for more webfiction, I blew through Worth the Candle in a few days. The main character gets thrown into a fantasy world based off all pen and paper worlds he created all shoved together, it's not a happy place. https://archiveofourown.org/works/11478249/chapters/25740126

I'm not sure how quite to describe it, but I think the author is getting worse at telling his own story over time.

I mean, there are a lot of things I could complain about, but overall it's not the worst thing I've read. 11th rated on top web fiction. Yet, I think I'm witnessing a story-specific brain degradation in author as he converges every character towards his hyper-rationalist ideal. Net result is a downgrade in story telling as it goes on, because everything loses weight when the characters spend heavy amounts of time on disgustingly far-fetched (and often meta) hypotheses that invariably turn out to be true because they're oh-so-smart. I mean, it was always a 'rationalist' fic, but the author is clearly 'learning' how to write 'rationalist' fiction 'better' over time.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed Pact more than Worm, even though its pacing was set to "acceleration". Part of that is my own bias towards fantasy over science fiction, but I felt another part of that is the significantly smaller scope. The setting was very intentionally small, and there was always this pushing sense of things much bigger in the world, and you knew it wasn't a story about winning, but survival. For all its flaws, that one factor made the story a lot easier for me to enjoy.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I think I’d agree with the interpretation of non-work WoG stuff being essentially marketing, although in the way additional works in the same universe are marketing. It promotes the initial work primarily by having people who are already fans ‘hold’ their fan status for longer, by receiving additional content they crave. I think it can also be fun for the author because a lot of work does go into writing that you don’t get to use, so it’s a convenient way to recycle that while also creating new content.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 4, 2018

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
New MoL is up and it looks like there are probably only a few chapters left!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

TheRagamuffin posted:

There's another word I could think of for that... :v:

Ambled? Dawdled? Moseyed?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I would prefer TWI a lot more if it had stuck to its initial premise of running a growing inn in a video game fantasy world.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Affi posted:

I want loving time to read mother of learning now! Goddamn it. The spoilers are killing me.

Do you want to get stuck in a time loop? Because phrasing things this way is how you get stuck in a time loop.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Worth the Candle suffers from the author having the basilisk brain bug and so every standard-fantasy trope is Cthulhu in disguise and only our extremely rational protagonist can see and prevent these existential terrors.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
MoL is just fantastic and I appreciated this chapter's ending.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Huh, spurred on by this publishing conversation I decided to check what Wildbow was making in patreon dollars and it's currently less than the Wandering Inn author to the tune of 1k (5k to 6k per month)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

A big flaming stink posted:

pages upon pages consisting of nothing but stat blocks aren't books!!!! :mad: :mad:

Denial +10!

[A big flaming stink has leveled up!]

<Unlock more posts?>
<Y> / <N>

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Why have any other rules. We've run popularity contest right here on the forums - straight voting 1 player out per round, majority vote, no other mechanics.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand where some webserial authors get their energy. Some of these people put out 10k+ updates multiple times per week. How do you even have that many ideas to write about.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I made a discord for discussing web novels but you can also talk about web serials

https://discord.gg/RJfqep

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
You have to remember the author of WtC is from the group of people who spawned from HPMOR