Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
What is this fervent need for the Tick to be manifested from Arthur's subconscious? Seriously, it's starting to get silly.

Why is it so hard to imagine that a show called the Tick, based on a comic called the Tick, based on the adventures of the very real and titular Tick, might actually just have a character called "The Tick" in it that wasn't magicked out of the imagination of his sidekick? OK, I get that they toyed with that notion early on. But then they dealt with it in about as clear a way as it could be dealt with. How is that not enough? Were some people so convinced of their early theories of the Tick's nature that it can't be let it go once the show goes out of its way to say "No, that's not what's happening, duh!"?

A superhero suit designed to counter a real superhero's supernatural, superhuman powers is standard fare--it'll allow the wearer to fly, and survive gun shots, and a bunch of other stuff. But the same suit somehow being able to bend reality so that it can create an apparently sentient being out of thin air? That's not a small leap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tarlibone posted:

Why is it so hard to imagine that a show called the Tick, based on a comic called the Tick, based on the adventures of the very real and titular Tick, might actually just have a character called "The Tick" in it that wasn't magicked out of the imagination of his sidekick? OK, I get that they toyed with that notion early on. But then they dealt with it in about as clear a way as it could be dealt with. How is that not enough? Were some people so convinced of their early theories of the Tick's nature that it can't be let it go once the show goes out of its way to say "No, that's not what's happening, duh!"?

Mostly that we still don't know *anything* about the Tick's origin or background before he meets Arthur; even Danger Boat doesn't seem able to identify his background. Every other iteration has made some gesture towards a backstory, whether just "assigned to the City by a superhero panel" or "escaped from a mental hospital" or even just "came from a bus station."

That kind of blank background lends itself to two explanations: either he's amnesiac or he was literally born yesterday. There's also the odd connection Tick seems to have with Arthur, to the point he thinks more coherently when Arthur's merely nearby.

I mean hell of course you could be right and maybe Tick's backstory is just meant to be ineffable, but it's not unreasonable to toss explanations at the wall either.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 4, 2017

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Tossing explanations on the wall, I get. Tossing the same ludicrous one on the wall again and again when the show's writers have dealt with this exact possibility and said, "Nope, that ain't it" is what's silly, and that's before you consider that this one theory that keeps getting bandied about requires a major break with all things Tick, not just a minor change like from the comics to animated show to live action show to live action show. Being set in a universe where sentient characters can be accidentally willed into existence is a huge, major, off-the-wall change, so it's weird that people keep bringing this particular theory up.

And really, the Tick's origins are never dealt with in any incarnation. Oh, why he's in The City has been dealt with, but not his origin. To wit:

Comic book:
How'd he get to the city: that's where he went after he left the asylum.
Origin: omitted.

Animated series:
How'd he get to the city: assigned to The City by the National Super Institute at Reno, Nevada by surviving the deadliest engine of destruction 1974 had to offer.

First live action series:
How'd he get to the city: after being the hero of a bus station, he finds a ticket to The City and goes there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was glad the show immediately deflated the "he's a hallucination" thing when the sister went i can see him too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
"The Tick is a figment of Arthur's imagination" was a red herring for an episode or two, anyone who continued to believe it after that is Bad At Watching TV.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Arthur was mortally wounded in the first episode and everything since has been his synapses firing randomly as he dies.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
None of the events in the show have actually happened. They are all the creation of a man named Ben Edlund, and all the characters - Arthur, The Tick, etc. - are in reality just actors pretending to be other people. There are a lot of subtle hints about this: the names in the opening credits, for instance, or the fact that none of the events depicted in the show have ever been reported in any newspapers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He did hallucinate the Tick inside of his light bulb as a child, and the Tick becomes confused an directionless when he isn't around(even though it isn't as though Arthur is leading him, usually quite the opposite).

There's definitely more going on. "The Tick is real and is my friend" is absolutely fine, but whatever going on with Arthur having had some interaction with him as a kid, and the Tick being mentally codependent on him is definitely interesting. It's definitely more than "The Tick showed up one day".

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

tarlibone posted:

What is this fervent need for the Tick to be manifested from Arthur's subconscious? Seriously, it's starting to get silly.

A superhero suit designed to counter a real superhero's supernatural, superhuman powers is standard fare--it'll allow the wearer to fly, and survive gun shots, and a bunch of other stuff. But the same suit somehow being able to bend reality so that it can create an apparently sentient being out of thin air? That's not a small leap.

There are enough Goons ruining everything by sussing out plot twists that I'm surprised you've never run into it before.

We'll see, but it's incredibly likely that Arthur made The Tick from his trauma-brain.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

We'll see, but it's incredibly likely that Arthur made The Tick from his trauma-brain.

But I don't want it to be!! (You can't see it, but I'm pouting now.)

To me, one of the unique and beautiful things about The Tick as a bona fide comic book superhero is the unique fact that he essentially has no origin story. It's not a hidden origin story, it's not a farcical one, it's not a pseudo-existential one, it's not one that will be revealed in a flashback... there is no origin. He's just there. He exists. He is a fact. You can't deny him because he's 7 feet tall, 400 pounds, and 100% justice. And what else do you need?

He exists because the comic/cartoon/TV show is called "The Tick" and he's the titular character in it. He's a superhero because the comic/cartoon/show is a show about a superhero called The Tick, and he's The Tick, so he has to be a superhero. His origin is so unimportant to the story that it simply doesn't exist in whatever medium the story is told in.

I get the appeal of understanding a character's origin. Hell, it's what made Season 3 of Venture Bros. so much fun to watch. And I get the appeal of not knowing the origin of a character, and thus having to try to riddle it out before the big reveal. But with Tick, what I love is the notion that there simply is no origin story. "But there has to be an origin! That's the rules!!" Well... this is something unique about Tick. There is no origin. It's not hidden or mysterious. It just isn't there. And I love that because I find it oddly humorous.

"Why is The Tick?"
"Yes, he is!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's his dad. There, I said it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's his dad. There, I said it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tarlibone posted:

But I don't want it to be!! (You can't see it, but I'm pouting now.)

To me, one of the unique and beautiful things about The Tick as a bona fide comic book superhero is the unique fact that he essentially has no origin story. It's not a hidden origin story, it's not a farcical one, it's not a pseudo-existential one, it's not one that will be revealed in a flashback... there is no origin. He's just there. He exists. He is a fact. You can't deny him because he's 7 feet tall, 400 pounds, and 100% justice. And what else do you need?

He exists because the comic/cartoon/TV show is called "The Tick" and he's the titular character in it. He's a superhero because the comic/cartoon/show is a show about a superhero called The Tick, and he's The Tick, so he has to be a superhero. His origin is so unimportant to the story that it simply doesn't exist in whatever medium the story is told in.

I get the appeal of understanding a character's origin. Hell, it's what made Season 3 of Venture Bros. so much fun to watch. And I get the appeal of not knowing the origin of a character, and thus having to try to riddle it out before the big reveal. But with Tick, what I love is the notion that there simply is no origin story. "But there has to be an origin! That's the rules!!" Well... this is something unique about Tick. There is no origin. It's not hidden or mysterious. It just isn't there. And I love that because I find it oddly humorous.

"Why is The Tick?"
"Yes, he is!"

Ok, that's actually a pretty good point

I feel like your earlier

tarlibone posted:

Being set in a universe where sentient characters can be accidentally willed into existence is a huge, major, off-the-wall change, so it's weird that people keep bringing this particular theory up.

Isn't that good an objection because every prior incarnation of the series has been filled with major off the wall bizarre poo poo anyway, from El Seed on down, so 'logic" isn't a particularly good objection here.

On the other hand you've got a point that the Tick's lack of clear origin has always been a cornerstone of the character: this is a universe where entities like The Tick just exist and that's at least somewhat normal. And i just binge-watched the whole 2001 Tick this evening, and they're at least as ambiguous about his origin there (in fact some of the dialogue between him and Arthur even repeats, and there's a whole episode where they try to figure out his background because he needs to get a superhero license, and he ends up just lying on his form because he can't remember his birthday etc).

This particular incarnation though is, at least so far, a lot more "realistic" and darker than the priors, so who knows. There's also a lot more focus on Arthur -- he's the one with the narrative arc, and it seems like Arthur's story more than The Tick's this time around (in the same way that LotR is more Sam Gamgee's story than Frodo's).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 4, 2017

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

withak posted:

Bad At Watching TV.

welcome to TVIV

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This show is clearly more narratively ambitious than any other incarnation of The Tick, and although he doesn't have to be a psychic manifestation or whatever, the show has thrown enough hints about something being weird between Tick and Arthur, most notably the night light thing. Maybe it's pointless to speculate right now, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if they actually go into this at one point more so than The Tick as a property usually does.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
A few articles and interviews I dug up:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/the-tick-amazon-tvs-smartest-superhero-satire.html

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/19/the-tick-amazon-preview/

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-tick-creator-ben-edlund-and-co-showrunner-david-fury-spoon-out-a-binge-worthy-superhero

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Finished the current batch earlier and I'm still loving giggling at "It's like he was looking for some place to keep his knife, and no place was good enough".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MrMojok posted:

What about the Midnight Bomber what Bombs at Midnight?

He's got bombs, baby?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Chokes McGee posted:

He's got bombs, baby?

Surfs up space ponies

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I wish I could have a Dangerboat

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Sash! posted:

BFC has a houseboat thread. It is worth a read if you haven't already.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sash! posted:

You don't have a Dangerboat you room with one on himself.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

You don't have a Dangerboat you room with one on himself.

The fact that dangerboat is both Overkill's roommate and room is one of those weird goofy things I absolutely love about this series.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh, if ya didn't know that's Alan Tudyk doing Dangerboat, apparently he's turning snarky robot voice acting into a bit of a cottage industry.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

zoux posted:

Oh, if ya didn't know that's Alan Tudyk doing Dangerboat, apparently he's turning snarky robot voice acting into a bit of a cottage industry.

He does a TON of VA work.

My favorite is King Candy in Wreck-It-Ralph. They let him do a ton of vocal tics and asides that they added into the animation.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elephanthead posted:

Say what? Link? Totally looking at buying a boat.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I loved the bus scene so much. After all the silliness and comedy, here's this just straight up earnest heroic scene.

My baby!

Loved every version of The Tick so far, but this might actually be my favourite. The extra Adam West in Serafinowicz's performance adds so much.

The timing is good to adapt Night of a Million Zillion Ninjas, what with everybody bitching about the ninja overuse in Daredevil S2.

EDIT - I thought Danger Boat was David Hyde Pierce when he first started talking.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Elephanthead posted:

What the gently caress is BFC

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748155

House Boats! Reading this will not be helpful.

BFC is Business Finance and Careers subforum, but really it is about reading about spending money on bit coins.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also, does anyone else think Overkill might be a rebuilt version of the flag five gunslinger guy who just had his hands crushed in the first episode? That detail about not killing one of them seems like it's gonna go somewhere.

I went a little :aaa: at this comment because I completely forgot about 'the little one, don't kill him, just crush his hands' from the pilot's flashback scene. The closed captions called him 'Shooting Star' and he seemed like the junior sidekick to one of the heroes that was executed, so that makes a ridiculous amount of sense.

I also like how Overkill plays off Arthur and the Tick. When he first showed up, I didn't think he really 'fit' compared to all the goofy characters in previous versions, but I liked random poo poo like 'I thought he was dead until I read your Reddit thread.' and it's implied they were like r/conspiracies buddies.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I went a little :aaa: at this comment because I completely forgot about 'the little one, don't kill him, just crush his hands' from the pilot's flashback scene. The closed captions called him 'Shooting Star' and he seemed like the junior sidekick to one of the heroes that was executed, so that makes a ridiculous amount of sense.

I also like how Overkill plays off Arthur and the Tick. When he first showed up, I didn't think he really 'fit' compared to all the goofy characters in previous versions, but I liked random poo poo like 'I thought he was dead until I read your Reddit thread.' and it's implied they were like r/conspiracies buddies.

I do miss Big Shot's AA level aversion to violence but if we're gonna go full ham with the R rating then Overkill is definitely the right choice.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
During his whole first appearance I thought he was a more traditional Tick character and the swords on his back were actually a giant pair of scissors

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

brocked posted:

During his whole first appearance I thought he was a more traditional Tick character and the swords on his back were actually a giant pair of scissors

Was 100% certain his name was gonna be "Safety Scissors."

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
"No, I'm not teaming up, Tick. Nobody runs with Scissors!!!"

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

QwertySanchez posted:

"No, I'm not teaming up, Tick. Nobody runs with Scissors!!!"

"NO NEED TO GET SNIPPY WITH ME!"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I never really got into the cartoon but I adore the 2001 series, and still watch it on occasion, and have trouble imagining not Patrick Warburton as the Tick. I was really not fond of the pilot, and I'm still pretty hesitant on this whole grimdark "Tick for 2017" thing, but I suppose it wouldn't be possibly or even a good idea to redo the 2001 series. I warmed up on the series a bit after a few episodes though. Danger Boat and Overkill and "No place was good enough" are great gags. Not sure I'll ever be down with the tragic past, ward of his sister mental patient Arthur though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just watched this, and I enjoyed it a lot, especially in comparison with the terrible netflix superhero shows. Maybe my only complaint is that it possibly seemed a little bit too much like Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency in some ways.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

It's really cruel to only put up six episodes and not even say when the second half of the season is coming out. Rude.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

It's really cruel to only put up six episodes and not even say when the second half of the season is coming out. Rude.

It seems really odd from a marketing perspective too. Like, they're relying on the audience still caring enough to come back whenever it reappears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Tiggum posted:

It seems really odd from a marketing perspective too. Like, they're relying on the audience still caring enough to come back whenever it reappears.

Its to stop fans from getting a free month, binging the whole and then never paying for the subscription after it expires if they have no other program to watch.

• Locked thread