Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I wasn't sure where to put this because it involves both a computer and a tablet, but I settled on here.

I have perhaps a bit of an unusual use case. I want to stream what's on a computer screen onto my tablet, but can't use any of the conventional software apps like moonlight or nvidia streaming or whatever, because the machine uses a kind of limited build of linux (I can't do anything about this).

So basically I need some way to get the video from the hdmi/displayport out onto a tablet, either via a cable, or some other streaming method from a separate box.

I'm using a 2013 nexus 7 and i gather it probably isn't up to the job, so is there any kind of tablet or similarly small device that can accomplish this? From looking into it I've seen some talk of Nvidia Shield, but don't know if this requires certain software on the computer side (which I would be unable to install).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

How limited is the linux build? Do you need the solution to be open source? How much interactivity do you need?

The immediate thing that springs to my mind is Chrome Remote Desktop, but it's not open source, and without knowing how the system is limited, :shrug:.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I've kept looking into it and it seems my best bet is to try to get VNC working over USB. Getting it working is turning out to be a pain, but hopefully it can be done if I keep at it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So on the Linux host, you can't install ANY software?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Why computer to tablet? What are you trying to achieve that ssh cannot?

I say your problem is now down to network rather than anything else. My suggestion would be buy a USB to Ethernet adapter or two for the devices, install or build anything you need to on host. Have the host also act as a router so the two are on the same network then VNC the whole thing. I'm positive that no matter how locked down the kernel is you will be able to build something for it.

I don't know enough about android to see if f you could use the tablet as the router, but that might be easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://teradek.com/collections/cube-family

It's not really designed for what you want, but it will work if you can feed it an HDMI source. It's a professional piece of video equipment and priced accordingly.

• Locked thread