Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

3Romeo posted:

Edit 2 - another really great thing - that shot of the WTC under construction. It's a long-rear end shot just broiling with meaning.

When in the episode was this shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I enjoyed the mobster guy just sitting outside reading The Godfather.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I feel like whatever the mobster just promised as "this is your future" has got to set up some serious plot developments or else yeah, show is spinning wheels.

But speaking of The Wire, don't forget that show had like half a season of basically setup and prequel until the actual episode called The Wire really kicked off the plot proper.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Something sounds wrong about the sentence "reading an oral history".

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It's not just in police though. He shows it just as effectively in the school system in season 4 of The Wire.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I like how the "good" pimp who won't put an underage girl on the street himself is still perfectly willing to sell her to another pimp for 2,5k.

Also goddamn that line about how daddies, husbands and pimps are all the same was loving brutal.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

empty baggie posted:

He's not refusing to pimp her because of his moral standards. He doesn't want her because he thinks she's underage and doesn't want any more trouble from the cops.

Oh I'm aware, I was responding to the thread earlier speculating that he'd end up being the most sympathetic pimp.

Dmitri-9 posted:

Do the women get any money from prostitution? They give it all to the pimp but I assume he just takes a large percentage. $300 dollars a night is some serious money in the 70s.

"If you don't give me 100% of the money, I won't give you 100% of my protection"

The compensation of prostitutes with a pimp tends to be things like food, shelter (such as it is) and "gifts" like clothes or jewelry or whatever. Keeps them completely dependent plus feeds into the hosed up relationship where they are led to see the pimp as their benefactor. It's a comprehensively exploitative relationship.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 10, 2017

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I think we can all agree that gently caress Ronald Reagan and we're glad he's dead.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

"Alright let me tell you guys something, I don't gently caress up nearly as much as people say I do."
"Well, on that inspirational note, I'll pretend to be encouraged."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Also given how David Simon has now used the "I just shot a nigga, come pick him up" line in 2 shows now, there's a pretty strong chance this is a thing someone has actually done and said for real and he learned it somewhere during his time as a reporter or working with ex-cops for shows.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

pwn posted:

I watched one episode years ago, I’m sure I’ll get to it some day.

The gently caress kinds of choices y'all even making with your lives?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

3Romeo posted:

At her worst she comes off as a generic caricature, smug in all the wrong ways, but I think that's a fault in the writing. Fair example - I need to rewatch it, but the sequence where she's at the party with Vincent seemed pretty unnecessary; we already knew that she didn't get along with her parents and that she came from money, so it a) didn't add anything to the character, and b) set up a working-class v. upper-class fish-out-of-water sequence that didn't have anything new to say. The show doesn't do a lot that I expect but I expected that, so it was kind of a disappointment. (But like I said, this was a knee-jerk opinion based on one viewing. Really I'm trying to defend why I found that whole thing boring.)

I think that scene wasn't about her background but about her using Vincent to gently caress with her parents and his reaction to being used like this. Also shows how she still cares about her parents.

Also goddamn that article.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

pwn posted:

That’s a perfectly healthy reaction to pure capitalism.

It's actually why I'm rather interested in illicit markets and these types. There's a degree of honesty about relationships and the value of people in capitalism that you just don't see anywhere else. The naked horror is, in a way, refreshing.

• Locked thread