Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Let's Hexplore A Whole New World!

The discovery of previously unknown lands beyond the sea was the big news of last year. Emperor Marcus wasted no time and ordered a settlement to be established there. Now that the colony of Farport survived its first winter, the emperor has outfitted another expedition, bringing supplies and additional settlers to Farport. Among these are six adventure-minded people, tasked with exploring Farport's surroundings and the new world in general:
  • Gregor Giantshield, a halfling fighter who appears to be nothing but a moring star swinging from behind a giant shield to his foes, played by chin up everything sucks
  • Hyacinth, a mercenary gnome ranger probably overestimating the money to be made, played by Comrade Koba
  • Eredain, an elf wizard shrouded in dark robes and mystery, played by AJ_Impy
  • Matdy, a half-elf garbage cleric, played by slydingdoor
  • Riyl, a human druid drawn to the new outermost outskirts of civilization, played by IPlayVideoGames
  • Belafron, a lizardman paladin of Tiamat in search of relics and glory, played by Captain_Indigo
The journey on board the Speedy Servant was anything but. The long and unevenful trip sapped everyone's patience. Even though captain Gobert Fusebrand and most of his crew had made a trip to Farport before, even they were not immune to it. Just as the mood among the crew threatened to turn sour, the sighting of birds in the sky got hopes back up that land had to be nearby. On the next day, the cry of "land in sight" tore any remaining anxiety away. A mountain peak emerged on the horizon and as more of it became visible, the veterans of the Speedy Servant's first voyage started to recognize the mountains of Cape Marcus whose outcropping marked the eastern side of the bay where Farport lies.

By late afternoon the ship sailed into the bay and approached Farport, a small collection of log cabins and a couple of houses built of stone surrounding what seems to be either a large square or a village green. It's protected by a 8' wooden wall with a banquette manned by a handful of crossbowmen. The bay provides a quiet harbor and the town's pier, while almost too small for the Silent Servant, proves adequate. The arrival of your ship had of course drawn the interest of the townsfolk who assemble by the beach to greet you. Only one of them stands on the pier, though, a resolute dwarven woman who you quickly learn is the leader of Farport, one Skornabena Berylview. She greets everyone assembles at the portside railing with a view curt words that are more a reminder that the cargo won't unload itself than a congratulation on a successful journey.

Captain Fusebrand goes on land first, shaking hands with Berylview and leaving the dock to confer with her while you and the settlers leave the ship before the crew and a couple of villagers start unloading the cargo. You have some time to get a better impression of Farport itself. The town is as clean and as good in repair as one would expect from a young settlement. The largest building is the lumber mill which has been working hard providing building material for the houses and the walls surrounding them. The villagers are all friendly and happy the ship arrived safely. You quickly gather that the town has so far been spared from any misfortune. The villagers have kept close to the safety of Farport's wooden walls and can't tell you much about what's going on beyond the town's immediate surroundings. The wildlife is little different from the one at home and so far nobody has encountered anything bigger or badder than a bear. "It's like back home, only better" is a common refrain.

After a while, Fusebrand and Berylview track you down. "There they are - your scouts!" Fusebrand proclaims proudly, but the dwarf seems unimpressed, greeting you with a curt nod. "Better than nothing, I guess. I'm Skornabena Berylview, the town's elderwoman. You call me Lady Berylview. It's Lady Beryl to friends, but you're not." There is no hint of humor in her voice. "I had some guys that thought crawling up Cape Marcus was a good idea. None of them came back. I expect you to do better." She orders you to follow her to your new home, a small, but brand new cabin near the gate. As you settle in, she explains what she expects from you: "The Emperor wants a good account of the lands by the end of the year. For now, I would like to know more about our immediate surroundings. I've ordered the townsfolk to not stray too far until now. We didn't have enough men to spare for getting lost in the woods. Not that I think you're going to get lost. I wouldn't send you out if I didn't trust that you've been vetted thoroughly for your skills before being sent here. I'd rather not have you waste time and get exploring tomorrow. I'll leave to getting your things in order. There's a bathhouse on the town square if you need one. You don't need to seek me out before you leave, just tell the guard at the gate how long you expect to be gone when you leave."

If you have any questions for Berylview, ask away. Otherwise, you can either look around town some more, although it's close to dusk already.

You should also plan your trek. Here's a map of what little is known so far:

Hexes are 6 miles from edge to opposite edge or 7 miles from vertex to opposite vertex. There's swampy coast to the southwest of town, a corridor of solid, plain land to the northwest, mountains to the north and forest to the east. The eastern side of the bay is towered by the mountains of Cape Marcus which lower into hills futher southeast. The hexes diretly adjacent to Farport have already been established as devoid of any special features which cannot be said from the known coastline further out, let alone unexplored areas.

The regional climate is temperate. It's mid-spring and temperatures are usually around 60°F/15°C during the day.

For travel rules see the second post. Since not every hex you explore has something interesting in it, you should plan out a route you want to follow instead of deciding from hex to hex. When you find something, I'll "interrupt" to let you investigate, adjust your route etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Microlite20 rulebook

https://donjon.bin.sh/m20/Microlite20.pdf

Mapping and Hexes

At some point, I'll post a map key.

The map hexes are 6 miles from edge to opposite edge and 7 miles from vertex to opposite vertex.

Travel Times

You can travel for 15-18 hours per day. You can go longer, but take a cumulative -1 on rolls if you do unless you rest longer the following day to make up for it. You can expect to cover 4-5 hexes per day.

The following tables list "times to cross" a hex of a certain terrain type. When you're leaving a hex of a certain terrain type that terrain's value is applied regardless of the type of hex you're headed into.

*: see below
**: when following the road, otherwise base hex type applies
***: when travelling on the river via boat without magical assistance or when swimming

"Water hexes" are not completely water and can be entered from an adjacent land hex and traversed into other hexes by following the coast like so:

A weird consequence of the system I'm using for terrain generation is that you never know if a water hex is fresh or saltwater. Just roll (no pun intended) with it.

Food

Each character eats one ration per day. You can go without, but you take a cumulative -1 penalty to rolls for every day you're not eating enough.

If you run out or just want to stock up on food, you have the options of foraging or hunting. You will automatically foraging for a 1 in 6 chance to find enough food to make 1d6 rations every day (unless you specifically don't want to forage). If that's not enough you can forgo that roll and forage more extensively. You can spend 30 minutes per attempt up to your Survival skill times (minimum of 1); success depends on the terrain type you're foraging in.

You can also go hunting for 1 or 2 hours in the morning or evening (or - at reduced chance of success - during the day). Success depends on number of hunters, Survival skill and terrain. Hunters need to have a ranged weapon. Each hunter gets a seperate success roll, but each additional hunter reduces the chance of a real big catch.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 6, 2017

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Reserved for stuff

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Gregor Giantshield

"I don't know about everyone else, but I want to stretch my legs out, maybe sleep somewhere that doesn't smell like fish for a change. I'm thinking we follow the grassland west and see if we can find out how far the marsh extends, unless anyone else has a better idea?" Gregor says with a grin as he cranes his neck to look up at all the unnaturally tall folk.

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 30, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Eredain

When it came to unnatural and tall, the gaunt, robed elf certainly fit the bill, leaning on his weapon of choice. Replying to the diminutive warrior,

"I can go with that plan, gives us a good sense of the easiest line for the colonists to work on, maybe double back towards the coast to the east once we round the marshlands."

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Riyl

Riyl already likes this place. The air even smells better.

"Following the wetlands seems like a good place to start, though we should consider making for higher ground for a better view at some point. But we don't need to break our necks just yet."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Belafron Silvertooth

The lizardman drops his mace to the ground and rests both hands atop the thick handle. His nostrils flare as he surveys the area.

"Way I see it, I'm here to protect those of you with better navigational skills than I. I can give my opinion on journeying when it's necessary, but for the most part, you will be better scouts than I will. If you say that west is the way to go, then I agree."

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hyacinth

"I agree with Riyl, we should eventually aim for higher ground to give us a better view of what's nearby. But as it stands, exploring the marsh and mapping the western coastline sounds like a good starting option."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Matdy
"It is decided, we follow the coastline. Just like eating fruit, peel first."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Fireday, 13th of High Spring (Calendar)

Your quarter in Farport is adequate for a night or a few, but you're not here to stay. Still it's nice to enjoy a proper bed on land even if it's only one night. You rise with the first hint of dawn. You check your equipment and get ready to strike out. The guards wish you best of luck on your journey as you pass the gate. You can see some of the townsfolk are already up and have started working on the fields just north of the town gate.

You turn west, however, following the coastline. You make good pace early on, marching on firm ground near the stony shore. The weather seems to be a fair bit colder than the previous days with a thin blanket of clouds having formed overnight, the sun fighting its way through them. After two hours the shore and the ground beneath your feet changes. The shore becomes more mud than stones and pebbles and the ground is becoming softer. In the distance you can see the high grass and the occasional grove of the marshland you've decided to head into. The soft wind alternately blows fresh, salty sea air and brackish, salty swamp air into your faces. New animal sounds add to the calls of the birds overhead.

Then you hear something different. At first it sounds like the very distant skittering of animals, but it persists, with different voices, almost as if they're carrying a conversation. Something, someone is out there. What do you do?

You marched 3 hours into the first marsh hex southwest of Farport and immediately rolled an encounter. :rolldice:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Gregor Giantshield

"Huh, have some of the townsfolk already explored the marsh? Maybe they can save us time and fill in some of our map"

Gregor is going to cheerily trudge towards the voices to say hi

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Riyl

"That didn't take long. I don't think those are people from the village, Gregor," Riyl warns, taking his crossbow and following.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Gregor moves closer with Riyl close behind. Some 150 yards in the distance you can something move in the tall grass. You spot the tips of long spears moving around. Then you can make out small, hunched-over, grey-skinned humanoids clad in leather vests and caps with large pointed ears sticking out. They seem agitated, yelling at one another, waving their spears around as they walk in this direction then that direction.

Then they spot you. One of them cries out, pointing in your direction. The bickering subsides and they draw together, spears pointed towards you. They're standing their ground, waiting.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Gregor Giantshield

"Huh, halfling-lizardfolk? Wait, I know there is a name for them..." Gregor stares in consternation at the creatures for a moment, before turning to the others. "drat if I can remember the name... do we have any rules on what to do if we find natives? I mean, they aren't attacking us."

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Riyl

"She never mentioned. Maybe we should have asked."" Riyl squints at the creatures. "Lets not start a war or anything. If the village gets raided I bet they'll want to blame us."

He waves towards the spear toting things.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Eredain

Using the haft of his scythe as a walking aid, the elven mage drew level with the forward elements.

"My advice: Attempt peace, prepare for war. Here, hold this a moment."

Handing off his obvious weapon, the caster dropped his hands to his sides, palms open and towards the phalanx of spearbeings. A gesture of apparent non-hostility: The other side didn't need to know the ease with which he could send arcane projectiles through their skulls unimpeded, should that prove necessary.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hyacinth

Hyacinth quietly hangs back, scanning the surroundings for suitable cover should things turn violent. She's prepared to ready her bow, but makes no move to do so yet.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
As Eredain steps forward, the other group begins chittering. Then they stop and one of them hands off the spear they were carrying and starts moving forward, similarly holding up empty hands. In between you is a patch devoid of any of the tall grass that is everywhere which looks like as good a place as any to meet. The rest of the group follows their envoy, staying 30-40 yards behind, weapons still in hand.

You also get a better look at them now.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Riyl

Riyl stands back, letting the heavier armored folk move to support Eredain. He lowers his crossbow to what he hopes is a non-threatening position.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Gregor Giantshield

"Ok, so not halfling-lizardmen... argh, the right name for those is going to bug me for hours. Think these are some kind of goblin? Do goblins count as natives or pests. Wait, that's a speciest question, don't answer that." Gregor muses to himself as he waits for someone else to make the approach.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hyacinth

"From the way they act, I'd say they're looking for something."

Hyacinth hangs back, curiously observing the behavior of the small humanoids.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Eredain

A good sign that they weren't entirely devoid of reason. He continued advancing to the convenient meeting spot, trying to see if he could make any sense of their chittering.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Belafron Silvertooth

After a few moments of thought, Belafron places his war mace on the ground and steps forward alongside Eredain with his shield ready. Back in his home kingdom, goblins make up a protected underclass but he is well aware that in other lands they are little more than vermin who can be slain without question.

"We should really have gathered some more information from Berlyview," he says.

He then lowers his voice and whispers to Eredain from the corner of his mouth, "one word from you and I'll have my weapon back in hand and turn these things to paste."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
As you approach signalling peaceful intentions, the creatures relax a bit. When you enter the meeting place the one that stepped forward starts miming and gesturing. With one hand held above their eyes they seem to mime looking around then they stop and draw an equilateral triangle into the air. They repeat that three times then look at you questiongly.

I think I forgot to mention how many of them there are: 9.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Riyl

"...triangulate? Are they scouting too?" Riyl offers from the back where he's watching. This has already gone much better than he had hoped. "Maybe they can help us."

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Eredain

Looking for something, but what was the triangle they were looking for? A pyramid? A river delta? On a whim, He took three twigs of roughly equal length, sketched a triangle on a flat bit of the dirt, and piled the sticks against one another to form a tetrahedron, pointed at it, mimicked their search gesture and looked at them questioningly, to see if that was it.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
When you sketch the triangle, the creature comes closer, but when you set up the twig pyramid, they take the twigs and hold them up in a triangle that hovers a little bit above the one you drew. They stick a finger up from the hands holding the twigs, perhaps indicating poles or towers if they are indeed thinking of a building, too.

Another one steps forward, too, watching all this. Now they also start gesturing at you. First they point in the direction you came from, then mimes walking, then looking, then points at the structure the other one is still holding up. Then they look at you with a glimmer of hope in their eyes.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Riyl

"A temple? Tower? I'm not good at this," Riyl mutters as he moves forward to look at the stick structure. He's apparently clueless, and looks to Eredain.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Riyl

Riyl steps forward to the creatures to get their attention. "We don't know. I'm sorry?" he tries to impart, pointing at the construct and shaking his head a few times, as well as shrugging.

"Let's keep going. We aren't really getting anywhere with them."

Assuming nobody really knows what to tell them.

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 4, 2017

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hyacinth

Hyacinth shrugs.

"Could mean anything. At least they're peaceful, I suppose that's something. Maybe we can ask Berylview if she knows anything about them once we get back? If they usually move around this close to Farport, someone in town may have seen them."

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Eredain

He tries to see if they can establish a mutually comprehensible pidgin, through the use of the 'point at things and name them' trope. Sustained peace depended upon being able to communicate, and to the mind of the elf, that was worth a moment's consideration.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Gregor Giantshield

"Do you think we should direct them towards town? We might get trading partners and knowledge of whats out here. I mean, we are only a couple hours out..."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Eredain's attempts to establish a more efficient means of communication doesn't work. Maybe it could work, but it would require a lot more time to do so. These guys are not quick on the uptake and are starting to get restless.

Any other ideas or get going again?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hyacinth

Hyacinth impatiently shifts from one foot to the other.

"We should get moving. Whatever they're after, we can't help them. I'd prefer it if we got across the rest of the swamp before sunset."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Gregor Giantshield

"Right, lets move on."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
The other group seems to think likewise and moves around you in a respectful and/or cautious distance, heading in the direction you came from. You get moving again, continuing to follow the coast in a roughly southward direction. The ground beneath your feet becomes ever softer and wetter and soon you decide to keep further away from the coast without losingsight of it as it's easier walking there. The terrain around you changes, too, from a mostly grassy marsh to a tree-covered swamp.

Hours pass as you march when Eredain and Hyacinth spot something in the distance. Through the trees they can barely make out what looks to be a single stone building in a distance of maybe one mile further inland.

First, you all get 1 EL each for the previous encounter.

Second, if you go investigate, one of you should take the lead and make a Mind+Survival roll to find a quick path to the building.

Third, a little more than 7 hours have passed so far.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hyacinth

"Well, this looks interesting."

Hyacinth advances a few feet ahead of the rest of the group, scanning the terrain.

"I could move on ahead and have a closer look. But I'm open to suggestions."

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Riyl

"If you want to scout ahead, I can lead the others through. If nothing else, maybe it can be a good place to sit and rest for a little. Who's hungry?"

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hyacinth

"True enough. It beats camping out in a swamp, that's for sure. I'll go on ahead then, see you in a little while."

Hyacinth unslings her bow and proceeds cautiously through the swamp towards the stone building.

d20 + Mind + Survival = 23

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Eredain

With Hyacinth going to investigate, he keeps watch: With an eye on the building, he follows her progress towards it as best he is able, scythe in hand.

• Locked thread