Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I took yesterday off because traffic was a poo poo show. Today? People I work with have been telling me they can't find gas; when they do find it, the lines are super long. GasBuddy shows almost every station in my zip code is out, and the ones that aren't are raping people on gas prices.

I filled up Tuesday night, and haven't driven at all since getting home (filled up half a mile away, so the car is effectively full). I figure I'll see how the gas situation is this weekend, hopefully I'll get some hours in.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm close enough to the mountains that I could probably just drive up in them if they aren't getting washed away, but if AZ is seeing that kind of flooding, poo poo is going to be hosed.

That doesn't work so well in my home town, which has a similar climate and terrain to Phoenix (not quite as hot though). More evidence. The first link was when El Paso got 6-8" over several days (they normally get that in a year).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like September might be a bad month for doggos too. Mom's dog had stomach surgery a couple of months ago (her dog thinks he's part goat.. he ate a couple of pairs of boxers and some socks from stepdad's laundry basket). Never fully recovered, and he's been a bit incontinent since. Poor guy stopped walking today. :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

My wife filled up Thursday morning with no problem, but by afternoon, her coworker was only able to get 3 gallons. There was no actual shortage, until people started panicking and made a run on the gas stations. One of my coworkers who commutes a ways rode his motorcycle to work, and then found he couldn't buy enough gas to get back home. Fortunately another coworker who lived locally gave him her lawnmower gas.
It's all just stupid, and some stations are gouging. One station actually changed the sign to like $5.99 *while a local news reporter was reporting.* Said reporter then informed the guy changing the sign that they were violating the Texas state law on price gouging. The enforcement agency for that law has been putting out advisories to report anything over $4/gallon.

Fortunately, I filled up last Friday (because I was empty), and my other car has about half a tank as well.

The best part is that most of our gas here in Dallas comes from Oklahoma.

A station out here in Garland bumped their prices up over $8/gal for a bit, until the news showed up:

There's one gas station in my zip code that has gas, apparently.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

38 and not a spot of grey over here.

39 and my temples are totally gray. :fuckoff:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

One of my requirements for our next house, and it is a deal killer, is a separate laundry room. I hate, hate, hate, the damned laundry in my garage, and my wife is not thrilled about all the stuff that happens to the laundry while it's in my garage. Which wouldn't happen if she'd just take the wash out to the machine, wash it, dry it, and take it back, but she's got to sort and then leave poo poo everywhere because she doesn't want to do that particular item or type just then and... Also, she may be tired of me bitching about it.

(replying in this thread instead of terrible car stuff)

Serious question, when did laundry rooms become common in TX houses? I've only lived in one house that had the washer and dryer in the garage, and it was built in the early 70s. One place I was at from the 1920s had them on the back porch, but that was very much added after the place was built. The apartments I've lived in with w/d hookups all had them right off the kitchen or in the kitchen (but the oldest apt I've lived in that had hookups was built in the mid 70s).

Also I'm kinda like your wife there - I'm always sorting everything at the washer, then folding them/putting everything on hangers straight out of the dryer. Things will never get folded/hung otherwise, the moment I'm away from the dryer I completely forget about laundry.

NOPE NOPE NOPE gently caress NOPE. I'll gladly pay someone to deal with that poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm off of 30 and Bobtown, way the gently caress out on the border of Garland/Rowlett/Sunnyvale.

I just didn't drive from Wednesday (aside from grocery store trips) up until today, but Quiktrip's mobile app has real time availability at their stations. I have 3 of them within 15 minutes of me.

I was in your area a few times tonight... wound up driving for Uber Eats for a few hours, kept getting sent to ZaLat and DaLat over on Fitzhugh. Had a pickup from Fadi's over on Knox too. Made $110 in 4 hours (uber threw in a $25 bonus), can't complain too much about that.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 3, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Huh, maybe it's a hyper-regional thing, or a code thing? Every house I lived in in El Paso had its own laundry room (7 houses that I can think of - all 70s houses), and of the.. 5? I've lived in here in DFW, 1 had the laundry in the garage (Garland, built in 1970 according to Zillow). The other houses I've lived in here were 1985 (x2, both in Carrollton), 1994 (Plano), and ~1920-1930 (Dallas). I've never lived on the Ft Worth side of DFW, for that matter I don't think I've ever been inside a house in Tarrant county.

I don't have counters or anything in my laundry room - it's a wide shallow room, barely enough space for the washer on one side, dryer on the other (the dryer's sitting on the baseboards instead of the floor, while the washer, your typical Kenmore/Whirlpool, barely fits). The only real upside to where it's at is it's in a climate controlled room. I've seen some older apartments that stick them in a closet on the patio - no thanks, I don't want to deal with frozen pipes.

e: dad's current house in El Paso also has its own laundry room, built in ~1984, but that's a weird house.. it has both swamp coolers and central ac, plus the garage has full HVAC - it was the model home for that builder.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 3, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So uh, what's "muggy" to you guys? 35%? :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ExplodingSims posted:

Yall need to come to Florida, so you can experience the joy of an 80*/88% morning.

Air is supposed to be drinkable, right?

I call that "Every morning in June/July/August". Also known as every afternoon in October/November/Feb/March.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Unfortunalty last year we had 43C AND 90%. gently caress. that. poo poo. gently caress that with a bargepole in every possible way. Last summer was indescribably awful in whole new ways - Phoenix heat with Florida humidity.

That's loving horrific though. I've experienced the same temps with about 60%, that was bad enough.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Previa_fun posted:

My wife needs a new car and I'm seeing a lot of really cheap newer Hyundai Velosters. What should I be wary of on these cars? How is Hyundai's DCT? Her current car is a manual so that wouldn't be a problem but I guess I'm getting old and boring because I like the idea of having at least one auto car in our fleet.

They're tight in the back seat. Really tight. A friend of mine has a late model one (2015?). I'm 5'7 and can't sit in the back at all.

Don't plan to use the back seat to actually hold people.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

that big crocodiles gonna get swept up with the hurricane. crocicane

CROCKNADO: THE HEART OF CROCKNESS coming this weekend to a 3rd rate tv station and redbox near you

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is amazing.
Some nutjob flies straight into Puerto Rico between hurricane bands, lands for 52 minutes and gets the gently caress out of there before the hurricane hits.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/moments/905487561182908416

How the gently caress does that plane get airborn with balls that big in the cockpit?

BraveUlysses posted:

i had never thought of that but until last week i had a 20 year old water heater and would not have ever considered using it for an emergency

Yeah, if you shut off the incoming water to the tank, and open the hot water taps inside the house, you can drain the tank itself (there's a hose bib meant to drain sediment out of the tank).

If you haven't opened it regularly, be prepared for it to leak afterwards (also you're gonna get tons of sediment).

(crack that thing open a couple of times a year and drain the sediment..)

monsterzero posted:

$3500 is crazy. I have a 2001 1500 with a 4l60e had it rebuilt with a 3yr/50k warranty for $2250 last month. I don't know what the extra 5 is but it seems fishy that it's twice as much to rebuild.

The 65 is slightly beefier, and replaced the 60. Guessing you have an early build 01 if it had the 60 (or Hotrod has their info wrong)? AFAIK the 96+ 60 and all 65s are interchangeable, though there's no reason to use a 60 if you have a 96+ and have a 65 available to you.

From Hotrod Magazine:

quote:

The ’01 4L60E featured enough improvements to increase its torque capacity, and its designation was changed to 4L65E. The main improvement of interest to hot rodders is the 4L65E’s five-pinion planetary carrier that replaced the 4L60E’s four-pinion. More pinion gears help to spread the load, allowing 4L65E transmissions to handle more torque than their 4L60E brethren. Additionally, a better 3-4 clutch, improved input shaft, and a deeper pan for more fluid were added.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 7, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

On the other hand, if it's a gas water heater, that sediment could be the reason it costs a fortune for your hot water heater to run.

Electric tanks typically have 2 heating elements on the side of the tank; gas has it at the bottom. An electric tank won't give a gently caress about the sediment at the bottom; it winds up reducing the volume of the tank slightly. But a gas tank will have that layer of sediment acting as a thick insulating blanket.

If you hear a gas water heater knocking when it's heating, it's because you have a bunch of sediment at the bottom of it.

I rent, and have an electric 40 gallon tank sitting outside (it's in a closet on my patio) in a place that does zero preventive maintenance, so I have zero reasons to give more than zero fucks. If it ruptures, it's not going to flood inside, but it might scald anyone standing on the patio under mine if they happen to be standing right at the edge when it pops. But if I somehow wind up without running water, it'll be the first place I go to get water.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 7, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Luxrage posted:

Any DFW goons going to Denton's Arts and Autos show tomorrow? It rained last year, but this year it's looking like it'll be nice out.

DAMNIT. I had no idea this was happening this weekend. :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's not how it works.

Auto recloser (or a manual reset) probably closed while trees were still tangled up in the lines. Flickering was likely the trees, squirrels, homeless people, etc burning free.

If it'd been off awhile, it was probably a manually commanded reclose. Probably someone trying to burn off whatever's tangled up in the lines (see above) to try and restore power for your area. If a "transformer had been bypassed", you wouldn't have an electrical system left in your house - 120/240 stuff doesn't appreciate getting hit with 4160, 7200, or 13200.

Three Phase would be able to explain it a lot better, of course, but I suspect he's sperging over the best way to extend battery life on his hybrid again. (mostly kidding three phase, you know I love you)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 11, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hah yeah, unless you have a UPS on everything you care about, just turn that poo poo off until it stabilizes. Leave a breaker on for a few incandescent lights (if you still have any.. otherwise sacrifice your oldest CFLs or cheapest LEDs).

also

angryrobots posted:

short
power

:argh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 11, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That hum really makes your hair stand up after the first time you've heard it. You know drat well nothing good ever comes from that hum when it's more than a slight background noise.

How long was it out though? I'd bet a tree limb got caught up in the lines and tripped out the line, and someone finally said "gently caress it, poo poo's hosed anyway, let's reset the breaker and see if we can make a lightshow!". Reclosers usually lock out after a few tries, and those retries are generally within a few seconds of each other.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 11, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamn.. today got kinda expensive.

My LF tire has been known as Baldielocks for too long. I was planning on replacing it this weekend when I get paid.

My LR tire has had a leak for a couple of weeks. Initially it was going flat within a few hours. I did the sinful and used Fix A Flat in it, and it would keep air for a couple of days after that. Went in to see if the leak could be fixed (and yes, I warned them it had fix a flat in it). It had a leak in the sidewall, so it got replaced under road hazard.

Then the "so uh.. we saw your LF. We really don't feel comfortable with you driving on that. We can help you out on price a bit if you're strapped, or we'll let you leave if you sign a release of liability". I opted for the help on the price. It was do it now or do it Friday. My student loan payment will have to wait a few more days.

$136 later... :sigh: And of course they pointed out the RF needs some love soon. That one was replaced under road hazard when the 2 fronts (including Baldielocks) had about 10k (yes they've been rotated multiple times, shush). It's not down to the bars yet, but it's close. So they'll get me for another ~$100 soon. At least I'll have matching tires.. right now the RF is a Falken, and the others are Barums - I'm getting some pretty crazy torque steer now that I have a brand new Barum on the LF and a mostly worn Falekn on the RF. :argh:

The low coolant message has popped up 3 times in the past 3 days too. Looked fine the other day, maybe a tiny bit low (it came on going around a long highway speed curve originally). Tonight it was definitely on the low side. So I guess I need to track down a leak. I'm due for new coolant anyway, I guess I'll throw some dye in and see where it appears.

Some neat news though. One of my best friends had her daughter come out tonight. I mean... friend kinda already suspected (friend is bi, friend has a lot of LGBT in her family), but her daughter made it official. I wish I had the balls to start coming out at 15! They're close to Denton, where I used to live, and the Unitarian Universalist church there not only has an LGBT youth group, but they're also very welcoming of wiccans/pagans. (friend's family falls into all of that).

Fo3 posted:

And every time a car dealer or someone related to their operations posts why they are difficult to deal with, they get ragged on. Buyers suck in general, and sometimes the buyer is you. Of course sellers suck too. Everyone out to make a buck or save a buck sucks.

I know this isn't an option for you, but after my last experience, I'll most likely be selling my cars to CarMax now. They give you the same regardless as to whether you buy from them or not. I was going to post my old car for $1500 on Craigslist, with my bottom line being $1000-1200 (depending on their attitude). CarMax gave me $1200 for it on the spot.

I'll take a little bit of a hit if it means I can eliminate haggling. Detail the car, drive it to them, they spend an hour going over it, they give you a written offer good for a week. Zero stress. Their car buying is similar, though their cars are priced at the high end if you buy from them (warranty, though, which is uncommon on used cars).

angryrobots posted:

Got a call back on my truck, wasn't bad fuel just a dead fuel pump. Eye watering r&r ($700 for delphi fuel pump, filter, and large vehicle flat tow) reminds me why I try to do my own work.

Fuel pumps are one of those things where I go OEM or nothing. I don't like having to do a job twice, and I ESPECIALLY don't want to do that kind of a PITA job twice.

Galler posted:

I won't even buy shipped/sold-by Amazon if it's something that is easy to counterfeit as I don't trust them to keep their inventory separate.

This is a HUGE issue with "fulfilled by Amazon" goods. Up until VERY recently (and I doubt it's 100% now), anything with the same SKU got lumped into the same bins. Even if they were obviously counterfeits and look nothing alike.

It was becoming an issue with even "Sold by Amazon.com" goods for a long time, since hey it's the same SKU therefore it's the exact same product right

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, one of the good side effects of Prime was the USPS doing their last mile and upping their shipping game significantly as a result. A lot of the other stuff I order is quicker now because they can afford to have more freight runs.

AMZL does a lot of the last mile now in major metro areas. I work for a part of AMZL myself (though I do same day Prime Now, Restaurants, and Fresh deliveries - I don't do the logistics side).

Most AMZL drivers don't give a poo poo wipe. You're lucky if your package even makes it to your zip code instead of the driver's house - and of the drivers that do wipe, if your address isn't clearly visible and it's not a super upscale neighborhood, good luck. Their delivery app also doesn't detect mock GPS apps (which has come in handy when I'm running late on a time critical delivery - even 1 second late could mean I get terminated, when a customer isn't going to care about me rolling up 30 seconds late - but a lot of people use it to just "travel" to every delivery and mark as delivered).

DesperateDan posted:

Rather have a phone i can janitor and fiddle with rather than be locked out of such options, but its very true a lot of android users would be happier with ios.

Personally, I have 2 Android devices (Moto X 2014 on stock Marshmallow, Nexus 6P on stock Oreo), and 1 iOS device (5S on 11 Beta). iOS drives me loving crazy. It just feels so.. antiquated.

The Oreo update severely broke Bluetooth in a lot of ways though. In my own experience, I can no longer use BT speakers, my BT glucose meter no longer works, and my BT heart rate monitor is also DOA. They work fine on my work phone (the Moto), but putting those apps on that phone means I can no longer 100% legally write off everything related to that phone as a work expense.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

stump posted:

My wife works in high schools, and I was really surprised when she told me the amount of kids that are out as being gay/bi/trans around that age, and how it doesn't seem to be that big a deal. I mean, I doubt it's easy, it's obviously a big deal to them, and I imagine there lives aren't free of bullying and prejudice, but it seems like a totally different world to when we were at school - I don't remember anybody being openly out and we aren't that old - early to mid 30's.

It's not even as if these are particularly special or progressive schools - they are the not so good schools in not so good catchment areas of Scotland.

It's INCREDIBLY different from when I was her age. I was in high school in the 90s - I started coming out as "bi" around 17, but I was literally using it as a stepping stone to coming out as gay. Bi seemed a lot less... bad. And because of my upbringing, GAY IS BAD, but I knew I was gay when I was 12 or so.

I can't even begin to relate to what kids coming out today go through compared to when I came out (and, well, got outed to my family, thanks to mom "cleaning out my desk for me", which kinda resulted in me being homeless briefly). I grew up in a pretty religious household, and even the bi bit didn't go over well at all. I still tried to cling to "bi" for a long time - until about 25 - partly because of my rather religious upbringing, I didn't want to accept "gay". If you get me drunk enough, some bi tendencies may come out (I'll make out with pretty much anyone, for example), but vagina just grosses me the gently caress out. Boobs and tits are A-Okay for me, but not in a sexual way - they compliment a woman's figure very well, and they make really awesome pillows.

I'm a little older than you, I think - I'm 39, and graduated HS (I guess that'd be secondary school for you? grade 12 is the end of secondary for us if I'm reading it right?) a little younger than most of my peers (I was 17, most were 18), in 1996. Age was more because I have a summer birthday.

I was also very far behind my peers in social skills (and still am, really) while I was way the gently caress ahead in book learning (teachers telling my parents I was reading above a college level while in 5th grade, for example, and always winding up with some weird obsessions). Part of me thinks I'm on the autism spectrum (all of my close friends are either confirmed aspies or functional autists, I show a lot of symptoms myself, and autism runs strongly in my family on my mom's side). Whatever, I dealt with it a long time ago, I'm used to being different, and getting an official diagnosis these days would just be a waste of time and money. But part of my mentality is stuck firmly in typical late 20s/early 30s, while part is firmly :corsair:.

angryrobots posted:

Oh absolutely. I was annoyed when I looked up the Delphi p/n on Amazon and it was $160, but checked it at NAPA where I'm sure they got it locally, and it was $300.

I suppose buying from Amazon for something like this may run into counterfeit issues that you guys were just talking about...

Amazon and Rockauto are my go-to if I don't need the part that day. Even then, Amazon can often have the part to me within 24 hours if I order early enough and it's stocked within a couple of hundred miles - my radiator fan was here less than 12 hours after ordering it, without paying anything extra for shipping - it was expensive enough to qualify for free 1 day shipping (already have prime), ordered around 10pm, was at my door around 8am. Wasn't the OEM part (TYC vs Delphi/Delco, but TYC was $60 vs $200+, and I needed it yesterday), but it came with the harness adapter to make it fit every year model of my car, and it was pretty simple to throw in.

It does help being within 10 miles of the AMZL fulfillment center that delivers to me.

For car parts, counterfeit (ON AMAZON ANYWAY) isn't nearly as much of an issue if you stick with "Sold by Amazon.com" or "Fulfilled by Amazon". Most of them are either so bulky or low volume enough that it's just not worth cranking out a counterfeit. My TYC radiator fan was $60, had a shipping weight of nearly 10 pounds... it's just not worth cranking out some halfass pile of poo poo (.... more halfass than TYC cranks out) when it's something that big and heavy. I've purchased several OEM Delco/Delphi parts from Amazon as well - most recent being an EVAP purge solenoid. Came in the original AC Delco shrink wrap, with the same PN molded in, and looked identical (exact same weight too). But that was "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com ONLY ONE LEFT".

I still have the original fan.. it wound up having a piece of the shroud snap off and get stuck in the blades, so when the lovely TYC one fails, I can swap the OEM back in.

reminds me.. I need to order a new MAF. My MPG is hurting baaaaad now (24 mpg last 2 tanks, down from my typical 30-34 mpg), only codes are MAF and post-cat O2 sensor.

tl;dr rambling more than an amc rambler

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 13, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If it's something I need RIGHT THEN, I hit Google for Advance Auto coupons, then make an online order for in-store pickup. Almost always ready within 15-30 minutes.

They seem to have blocked most coupon stacking :smith: but even little poo poo gets discounted.

For example, I smacked a pothole really goddamn hard last night - enough that both my front passenger low beam and front passenger turn signal called it quits. Walmart had the headlight bulb, but they didn't have 4157NA bulbs (or even 3157NA, which are the same thing without krypton) - they only had the clear versions.

Ordered online for in-store pickup, got 20% off. Sure, it was a $6.99 product before tax (that's loving rape for 2 light bulbs :argh:), but after tax it brought it down to $6.09.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus, today went to hell in a handbasket.

I couldn't sleep, so I did what I usually do.. stay up on the computer. At 9am all hell breaks loose, roommates start ripping me new assholes for being inconsiderate and "typing all loud".

... you guys are sleeping on my loving couch, in my living room, WITH EAR PLUGS. Had you said something, I would have gone to my room. Then they went off about me cooking breakfast at 4am.

And it got even better. Brandon got right up in my face daring me to touch him, started calling me "loving cock sucking human being, you're too loving human being to push me". Made my way around him, opened the door, told him give me the key, which he did. Made the mistake of standing behind the door, fucker mule kicked it. Knocked out a tooth and left a huge knot on my head.

I no longer have roommates. His wife took off on foot when I called the police. He stuck around and tried to press assault charges... except I'm the one missing a tooth, and I have a knot on my head. He went to jail. Cops came up to get his insulin, I told them I wanted him out. They mentioned I may have to evict, I held up his key and said he told me he was moving out immediately, they suggested I throw everything of his in garbage bags and leave it on the porch the day he gets out.

loving christ, Rhyno's luck with friends is rubbing off on me. I have a bitch of a migraine, what's left of my tooth hurts, and my nose hurts.

Mad props to Garland PD though. They saw right through his bullshit, and were nothing but professional with me.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Ahahaha, sorry man but what the gently caress is wrong with TxDoT? Like, I know we all play the game of "OUR roads are worse, no OURS are the WORST" here, but holy diver at potholes of that magnitude. Or were you going 60+ or something?

I was doing about 20. Downtown late at night, think I was on Bryan. It was a hard enough hit that the bottom of the chassis hit the ground. I honestly thought I'd run over a curb, except there was no forward smack, just a sharp downward SLAM.

I was hoping it had put a bubble in the tire... it's the only tire NOT new. No such luck though. No visible body damage, but the subframe looks like it got smacked. :sigh: I'll have to get the alignment checked.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 13, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

annnnd just got a text from his wife saying she's having a miscarriage.

I'm totally sure it's all my fault when she's been bitching for days about "something not feeling right". Third trimester and not a single OB/GYN visit.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 13, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Statutory Ape posted:

It's cool and good to refer to a woman who is miscarrying her baby as 'bitching' in reference to her mentioning she has felt ill prior to said miscarriage

I've been trying to get her to go to the ER for a WEEK. She's also in her third trimester; you get a still birth at that point if things go pear shaped, but not a miscarriage. The baby was kicking just fine last night.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 13, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

This will be his 4th kid... he owes over half a million in child support to 3 other women.

He also refuses to manage his diabetes (sugar regularly over 700, in the hospital a couple of times a month).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I feel for her, I really do (especially for being married to such a shithead husband), and I especially feel for the child (or child that could have been, if the child is stillborn). But she's also done nothing to manage her health, or her child's health.

She's obese, which I understand is hard to control (she's always been big as long as I've known her - she's about 275 now). But she also smokes cigs like a chimney (pack a day all through the pregnancy), smokes weed like Bob Marley, drinks regularly, and still dabbles with meth occasionally. She doesn't eat healthy in any way, and has yet to see an OB/GYN.

The baby was alive and kicking last night, but "didn't feel right" (and hasn't "felt right" in a week).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 13, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ExplodingSims posted:

Is this the same couple you've bitched about in the past and had to kick out before?

If so, why'd you let them back in?

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd guess the obvious $ to assist with rent.

Partly for rent (since they were paying this time... initially), partly "we're pregnant and between places, we move into our place in 2 weeks!". I told them under no circumstances would this be over 3-4 weeks, maximum. 3 loving months later and I've been trying to get them out, but since they'd been here so long, I would have had to go through the legal system, and they knew it. Mostly because I'm too loving nice for my own good.

They would still cough up money now and then, but neither of them were even attempting to work. "OUR DISABILITY CHECKS ARE COMING SOON, AND SOON AS KID POPS OUT WE GET MORE FOOD STAMPS!"

Apparently they freaked out this morning because my typing kept them up all night, followed by my cooking dinner. I'm a night owl. I always have been a night owl. The futon is in my living room, my desk is in the living room. Had they just said "hey, your typing is keeping us awake", I would have gone to my bedroom (no laptop, but I have a phablet), or told them to go to my bedroom. Then it got real personal when he started calling me a "loving human being" (OH NO YOU DINT).

Since he threw the key in my face and told me he never wanted to "see [my] human being rear end again", I'm going to assume that was his move out notice (his wife literally took off running down the road when I called 911; she's on probation from another state). I've already sent a text telling them everything is boxed up and ready to go, and that they have until next Saturday to pick it up before I start charging storage fees (and they're not going to like my storage fees). I'll need to consult a lawyer to see what I can get away with on that front.

I know where one of his ex's lives (right down the road), and he's there frequently; I can easily hand deliver a notice to them to let them know "pick up your poo poo or start paying for storage".

InitialDave posted:

I know it's not going to be an encouraging answer, but what's your situation with dental coverage etc?

nm posted:

Get an ro dude.

I plan on it (also if it's okay with you I might hit you up on PM for info on how to do so). The cops wouldn't trespass him at the time, as he has "established residency" and I would need to file for eviction. However, he threw the key at me while telling me "he wasn't ever coming back to see [my] human being face" and "hoped I choked on a horse dick", so I think it's safe to assume he voluntarily gave up his rights to tenancy. Plus the whole knock on the head violates community rules of the property (not my rules, but the actual property rules - ANY violence is grounds for eviction).

fake edit: the property manager dropped by and told me in no uncertain terms that he's not allowed on the property anymore. I've never had a complaint from a neighbor before - at ANY apartment I've lived in - but since both myself and my next door neighbor called the cops, well, they got wind of it.

He was weeks behind on rent, but was supposed to move out Friday anyway.

The police did bring him back up to get his insulin, and told me he'll be in touch to collect the rest of his belongings. i made it very clear that he was only to contact me via text message (no phone calls, no contact on social media). The officers asked me if I would mind him leaving his things here for now; ex roomie asked if I could just throw everything in trash bags and try not to hurt any photo albums. He was all smiles by then, but I heard one of the cops putting the fear of god into him outside (he's also been arrested by that cop before).

Photos and paperwork are neatly packed the way I'd pack them if they were mine. Everything that was in backpacks/bags has remained in them, though I closed the zippers. The remaining belongings are packed in trash bags, and all of his refrigerated items are in my spare fridge. I walked the apartment with video, focusing on his things, then took another video of everything after I finished packing, plus some photos. I wanted to cover my rear end as much as I could.

Also holy jesus gently caress there was a sea of garbage under the futon. The futon itself is now in 2 different dumpsters - it was a nice futon, but I'm pretty sure it's infested with scabies, HIV, and who knows what else. Plus I'm just sick of how much room it takes up - I have a decent size living room, but already have a full length couch - want to add a love seat or a single chair.

WARNING PORTRAIT VIDEO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AB8swwxZ8Q
"that's flat out stolen" is referring to a folio he found in a road with someone's social security card and several blank checks. He told me he found the guy and mailed it back.

Adiabatic posted:

Lol what the gently caress is going on in here

Apparently I'm a loving human being that needs to choke to death on a horse cock. How's YOUR day? :allears:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seminal Flu posted:

New av title for STR.

Well I AM pretty sick of this one. The pig's cool, the black thumbs is cool, but the text ran its course ages ago.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How the gently caress high did that water get? I see it dripping off of one of the racks. :ohdear:

Enourmo posted:

Someone tell me how to sleep in my car's a/c without dying of random fumes, getting carjacked, running out of gas or getting hassled by cops

Alternately how do I rig up a generator to run on pure rage at the heat

Keep it on ac, NOT max ac (max AC on fords does recirculation, regular ac pulls fresh air). Keep a window cracked. Probably find a walmart parking lot and park kinda out toward the end of it, but still near lighting.

Shouldn't use much gas to idle.

I used to do this all the time when I worked too drat many jobs and didn't have enough hours to sleep. also did it between classes at school.

Just make sure you have no alcohol on you, in case the friendly 5-0 come a-knockin, since the keys in the ignition (even if the car is off) means you can still get popped with a DUI if you've been drinking in most states.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Haven't been able to sleep in 2 days now, except for a 2 hour nap yesterday.

Worked my rear end off last night until nearly 4am, felt good aside from a pounding headache. Felt horrific once the sun started coming up - couldn't think, my normal tinnitus was screaming at me instead of being annoying, kept forgetting where I set poo poo down (I lost my car keys.. while holding them). Got lost inside the grocery store I always go to.

Went to the ER... doc basically said "all I have to do is look at that massive lump on your forehead to know you have a concussion, but let's go through the checklist". And yeah... definitely a concussion. He didn't feel it was bad enough to shove me into a CT scan, but did tell me it's going to take a few weeks for me to feel normal again. :argh: I got a script for Zofran out of it (that poo poo's hella expensive without insurance.. $3 with insurance) to help with the puking.

Making it more fun, the police have called a couple of times today. I've missed the call both times, but I'm not clear headed enough to talk to them today anyway. I'd rather not talk to them at all (especially if they're trying to pin something on me, as ex-roomie is a pretty compulsive liar), but it'll have to happen eventually. Either myself or through a lawyer.

Darchangel posted:

Additional note: you've got a P71, so the ECU should be calibrated for extended idling without damage, not that it would really hurt any modern cars.

I've slept for 6+ hours in my car with the ac on (... when the ac worked). Also with the heat on.

Car gave no fucks. Gas gauge barely moved.

Enourmo posted:

Apparently just the 10 buildings on the back road of my complex are on a different line, and require a replacement fuse instead of flipping a substation breaker or whatever. So since it needs a replacement part, I can probably expect power back around.... oh, February maybe? (They say by Sunday but it's a long 4 days)

FWIW, at least around here, power companies overestimate repair times. They'd much rather get it back on a lot sooner instead of missing the "should be on by" time/date and having their phones blow up.

Should be a part they have on hand or can get from a neighboring utility if it's just a fuse, but there's always the logistics of getting it there.

Rhyno posted:

I cleaned the mirror with one kind and the counter and sink with another. Woosh, whipped my rear end.

I've done that. Saw that little puff of smoke and hauled the gently caress out of there, opening every window on the way out.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 14, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My car has a vent under the steering wheel for the sole purpose of cooling your balls.

It's one of the best things about the car on a hot day, even if your AC ain't poo poo you can make sure your balls are cool.

GM had that poo poo on larger American cars in the 70s and 80s. Maybe even the 60s.

I wish my 00s GM had it. :( Even though my ac no longer works, it'd be nice to have the air flow to make the car reek of ball sweat cool my man bits a bit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Isn't a 2 "hold my beer" territory?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

LoL, my identity got thefted.

Happened to me a few years ago. Somehow VZW approved them for financing whatever the latest and greatest iPhone was at the time with $0 down.... with a credit score somewhere between "you poor gently caress" and "you poor bastard". I found out when the first bill showed up... with 0 minutes used, 0 bytes used.. it'd obviously never even been turned on in the US. Took about 2 weeks to get that fixed, and another month to get all the other inquiries removed. :argh: (and that was with the "help" if the identify theft monitoring poo poo Target and Home Depot paid for after their haxings).

They applied for a shitload of CCs too, but none of those got approved. :v:

hey wait where'd your FB go

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cage posted:

Last year I got a legit email from paypal about paying $200 for some phone from ebay. Somehow someone bought an ebay item (not my account) and used my paypal to pay for it. No one was able to explain how. It was being shipped nowhere near me to some company that buys things in the US and then ships them overseas. Luckily my bank was able to get my money back.

Had that happen too. They got a leather coat and tried to get an iPhone 7.

Thank gently caress I only had a debit card on PayPal, and not my actual checking account. Only the coat charge went through, and I got ahold of the seller before they shipped it to let them know it was fraud.

Paypal was a bag of dicks to deal with about it, but that shouldn't surprise anybody.

NEVER link your ebay and paypal accounts.. if someone gets your ebay password, they're into your paypal account too. :argh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I loving swear to every loving diety that does or doesn't loving exist, this loving car is cursed. But only the front left corner. THIRD GODDAMN TIME I'VE BEEN CLIPPED IN THE SAME SPOT.

Dude started to take off too. Had to chase him down. He admitted he took off because he doesn't have a license. He's insured though (?!?).

It looks like pretty much all rubber transfer from his tires (he had wide tires/wheels on his Explorer), and we both want to handle it outside of insurance (I have 2 not at fault claims in 3 years, another will definitely affect my rates despite not being at fault). Gonna go get a quote from a body shop to do it "right", then get a quote from a detailer to just buff it and make it look, well, the same as the body shop would. I don't see any paint damage, and the clear is still in good shape on the bumper and left fender (... they were repainted last October from a similar incident :fuckoff:). He's agreed that if it winds up being more than he can afford, we'll go through his insurance (and if it winds up not being valid insurance, well, I have UM/UIM, both property and medical). I'm also concerned it'd be a write off if I go through insurance - it's a Saturn with nearly 200k, book value isn't exactly a lot.

Dashcam caught it, I have his info, the phone # he gave me was real (talked to him when I got home from work), so if he'll play ball with having someone get the rubber transfer off, I'll be happy. Part of me wants to call his insurance anyway since he started to run, but I won't be pissed off enough to do that until he flakes out.

Corner light is sitting kinda funny, so is the headlight, but the hood lines up fine, hood latches fine, fenders line up with the hood fine, bumper and lights line up fine on the other side, so I think maybe the bucket that they attach to got pushed over slightly. That's something I can deal with myself.

There was zero damage to his Explorer. Even his wheel didn't get a scratch. there was a questionable dent on his rear quarter (I was the one to point it out, not him), but I mentioned it seemed too high for my car to cause it (and going back and looking at dashcam, I'm right, it was there before we met).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 23, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ordinarily, I'd agree.

The neighborhood this happened in, though... it's mostly by the minute hotels and the worst of the bad strip clubs. It's not a good area at all. (Dallas goons - this happened down the street from Cole Manor, on Empire Central - closer to 35 than Harry Hines, but we all know nothing near Harry Hines is remotely "good"). I'm just glad I got him to stop at all, and without winding up with bullet holes.

I just got back from the grocery store, and got a decent look under their parking lot lighting - the damage really is minor, aside from the wheel. The corner light might need to be replaced. There's zero body/paint damage, all of the black poo poo just scrapes off with a fingernail (much of it comes off with just a light brush of a finger). The wheel is kinda hosed, it has a few small chunks taken out of it.

I have a copy of his insurance card. I have the whole thing on dashcam (including me chasing him down, and the first few seconds of our face to face interaction). I have no idea if the name he gave me is real or not, but it matches what's on the insurance card he handed me. The phone number he gave me is his. The dashcam video is good enough to make out the license plate and identifying marks on his vehicle (stickers + dents). If he won't play ball, I'll absolutely involve insurance and police, but at the moment, I'm fine with giving him a chance to make it right. I'm going to have a body shop quote within 12 hours (which will be $lol$), and I'll hit up a couple of detailers to see what it'll take to make it look right (most likely just a buff + wax on that corner).

Also, I have 2 claims in the past 3 years. Both are not at fault claims, but I know another one will hurt my rates even more.

If I didn't have the existing claims, I'd be going straight to making a claim. But this is a buff + used wheel (and maybe :10bux: corner light) away from being fixed.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 23, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Double post, but... a coworker just retired one of his cars, and I'm kinda considering it for a second car.

2006 Prius. It's whatever trim has leather, the smart key, navigation, etc. Does not have automatic headlights or a sunroof, has regular halogen headlights. I guess it's whatever the mid tier was?

Good things: HV pack is only ~2 years old. New shocks/struts all around. New drive axles. New suspension bushings all the way around. Full maintenance history since he got it at 100k, and he's always taken it to the dealer for everything, including oil changes every 5k. New tires. New brakes in the past 30k. New master cylinder/brake accumulator/whatever the gently caress Toyota calls it, it's expensive as gently caress. AC is ice cold. CVT fluid has been changed religiously every 50k since he's owned it. All maintenance is up to date. New tires. He's absolutely OCD about maintenance. 50-60 mpg depending how angry you are. No rust. No warning lights.

Bad things: 300k. Always dealer serviced. The battery pack may be 2 years old, but that's still 150k in this case. Touchscreen on radio is dead (it comes back to life for a week or so if you disconnect the 12V battery), so you can't use navigation or change the presets. It keeps eating drivers side half shafts, likely related to the motor mounts being basically gone. Steering has some play (dealer says it needs a steering rack, but he says the tires are wearing evenly). Says it burns about a quart of oil every 1000-1500, but can't find any leaks (I work with a few other people with Priuses, they complain about similar oil consumption). Clear coat is basically gone. Headlights will either need to be polished or replaced, they're nearly opaque.

He's asking $2000, but admits some wiggle room, and he's upfront about issues. It'd be nice to have a 2nd car for work (especially one with so much more room than what I have now). And given his OCD about maintenance, I'm sure it has another 200-300k left in it.

Should I think about jumping on that, or run away? I would probably just ignore the steering rack, and tackle the axle + motor mounts immediately.

(also he replaced it with a 2017 Prius 2.. he's already bitching about the cloth seats and having to use a key again :laffo: but managed to get it for $21k out the door :stare: - that makes his 3rd hybrid, 1st was a Honda Insight that got taken out by a drunk driver)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 23, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Elsa posted:

I was under the impression your insurance company doesn't care about not at faults.

they don't... until you have 2-3 of them in a few years. I don't think they can drop me for them in my state, but they can raise my rates.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Jump on this poo poo right away if you can afford it. Can you get it for $1500-1600?

I think so.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seminal Flu posted:

Can you afford to pay double insurance?

Adds $30/month to have it on my policy, with comprehensive ($250 deductible) and UM/UIM (property and bodily injury).

So... not terribly painful.

e: OTOH I can't cough up $1500ish right now, so I'll probably hold off. More that likely it's just going to sit in his driveway for the next year or two (he tends to do that when he gets a new car, driving the sitting car once a month for a day or so), so it'll probably still be there when I do have the money. His BMW (98 325i, nothing special before you guys get pissy) sat for 4 years, only getting driven when the Prius was in the shop or his wife's car was in the shop, and he finally sold it to another coworker a couple of months ago.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 23, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

Is there a reason you don't buy it and sell the Saturn for whatever you can get? Or do you want 2 regular cars for some reason?

The Prius would just be for work; the mileage and cargo room are the main reasons I'm considering it (also the price). It's also a smoker's car (he hasn't smoked IN the car, but he smokes enough that the inside of the car smells like smoke) and needs some mechanical work. Also needs either new headlamp assemblies or needs them polished. I don't like driving CVTs in general (though I know Toyota's implementation is a bit different), and the lack of power would get to me. They're a lot quicker off the line than you'd expect, but a dog otherwise.

Also, I kinda like the Saturn. It doesn't need much work right now aside from the AC... though it also has about 117k less miles on it.

It's just an idea at this point anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mariooncrack posted:

More to think about : can you afford to do maintenance on both vehicles? Are you allowed to have two vehicles at your apartment?

Maintenance, yes. From what I gather it just needs more frequent oil changes than what I'm used to, CVT fluid every ~50k if you're feeling spendy, and uses a bucketload more coolant than the Saturn?

I thought my original lease limited me to 1 vehicle, but I just went over my current lease, and there's no limit mentioned. They don't do permits or visitor parking here, parking is plentiful (26-28? spaces for my 12 unit, all 1 bedroom building, I've never seen more than 12 occupied), and the areas I park in are well lit. Yeah, it's a unicorn property in that regard. I've only seen one car get slapped with a tow sticker, and it was an obvious stolen car that had been dumped here. Basically, so long as your car isn't pissing rivers of fluid, has all of the wheels on it, doesn't appear abandoned, has air in the tires, and you can park between the lines, you're good (essentially the same things the city would care about if you were parked on the street, except you can leave your car in the same spot for months here). There's also nothing mentioned prohibiting car maintenance, though I do all of that after the office is closed just in case they're showing someone around the property.

There's a lot of poo poo I hate about this place, but parking is not one of them - I feel like I struck gold in that regard. The potholes, OTOH, can eat a dick, but they've been slowly patching them this summer.

• Locked thread