Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Obduction is an adventure game in the same style as Myst. So instead of pointing and clicking and hunting pixels it's more about intuiting puzzle solutions from various environmental clues or obtuse notebooks.

When I was a kid I played through all the myst games, even beating most of them without the use of guides (except Riven which I remember as being the hardest of the series) though nowadays I'm a filthy cheater who only has the patience to be stuck for 10-15 minutes before looking up the answer.

My goal here is to display the game's strengths and present the puzzles and atmosphere of the game as cleanly as possible, so my co-commentator and I will not be talking over the game when their dialogue is playing and most of our discussion will be about general game stuff. I'll be explaining how to solve the puzzles, how the developers expected you to figure that out, what clues and tricks lead to the solution, etc. Mozic, my co-commentator, will be staring vapidly at the pretty colors and asking what that button does. It should be great.

Episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoBYcLCG9qs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpMiID4KR2E

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Yep, this looks like a Myst-esque game. Given how Agent showed off the way La-Mulana's puzzles were supposed to be figured out, I'm totally on board with this LP.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 1, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The current video is missing the last 6 minutes or so and I had to re-encode a fixed version, it'll be posted in the morning. Quality out of the gate folks.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

This game looks really nice.
Looking forward to the rest of the LP.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

New video is uploaded but still processing (should take like 20-30 minutes or something, standard youtube poo poo). Link in the OP now goes to the new one.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I tried to play this game a while back but I got stuck when a barrier failed to load in until I was on the wrong side of it. :eng99:

I should give it another shot sometime.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 2!

I'm tired as poo poo or I'd make a banner for it. I'll get to it tho, we must beautify the thread.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 7, 2017

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Generally, if there's an item you can pick up that doesn't do anything, it's one of the backer items.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
This is cool and interesting, watching this

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
I really wanted to like this game, but later on the loading times while trying to solve puzzles become absolutely prohibitive if you're not running the game on an SSD. Looking forward to seeing how things go!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I think we'll settle into a nice Monday/Thursday update schedule for this LP. I have another LP that will be updating Fridays (starting tomorrow) so I should be able to keep them both going as long as they all update on different days!

We get alot more backstory for the world at the beginning of this episode so people who like to read all the books are going to have to pause the video a fair bit. I summarize the important parts in the video but I simply don't have enough time to expound on all the lore while also talking about the puzzle solutions, which is a shame as I enjoyed reading through the books and figuring out the world lore when I played through myself.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I love, that they put in all this old tech for their puzzles. I was grinning like an idiot about the casette player, especially after Agent showed you could switch the MC to side B.

Either Cyan Worlds knew the age of their target audience very well or they just thought "Eff you kids and your digital technology, We are old school."

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 7, 2017

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I backed this game immediately at the height of impending Kickstarter Cynicism and have never regretted it, even though I still haven't played it because I don't have a capable PC and there's no word of console ports.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The O on the compass is probably because it's French: Nord, Est, Sud, Ouest.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Why yes, I do agree that we can totally trust Sirrus - I mean C.W.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

Fedule posted:

I backed this game immediately at the height of impending Kickstarter Cynicism and have never regretted it, even though I still haven't played it because I don't have a capable PC and there's no word of console ports.

At least you can have the pride of making a genuinly good kickstarter descision, I never kickstarted it myself but very much enjoyed playing it to completion.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Fedule posted:

They just released it for PS4 with a PS VR patch coming soon. They were showing a demo of the PS VR version at PAX West.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
With this game's inconsistant frame rate, I don't know how easily it can translate to VR.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Seems to work OK with Oculus Rift. I haven't tried with PS VR but apparently they've done a bunch of optimizations with the PS VR version that are going to make it back to the PC version "soon." (I didn't get to talk with the guy at PAX West for that long.)

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I remember the puzzle about the compass, "Under the first mayor" made me look all over the place including his grave. It never occurred to me that his name was on the compass case.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Our first look at the inside of the 'book' equivalent in obduction.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 13, 2017

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Not a native speaker here, but unless there's a colloquialism or slang I'm missing Заниматься бессмысленным делом should mean "to do/to busy oneself with a useless thing".

Also, great choice! I love the Myst games and, although I had to cheat to finish it, I also love Riven! I really love the idea of 'figuring out objects' function without context', which was basically all of Riven and I believe one of the cleverest, most brilliant underused ideas out there, so I also love this!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Would you believe I had to look up a guide because I didn't notice the crank behind the first bridge structure? I solved the rest of the puzzles after that no issue though.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Agent355 posted:

"This is a Let's Play, not a Walkthrough!"

Then why are you walking everywhere? ;)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

berryjon posted:

Then why are you walking everywhere? ;)

:rimshot:

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Did anyone else own the Myst guidebook that had a narrative journal from the point of view of a protagonist working out the puzzles? That was probably the first LP I ever read.

This game looks neat, too. Glad Cyan is still doing things!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Forgot I said I was going to update this Thursday, i actually had the video done but for some reason thought I was doing fridays. Oh well here it is now!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Ultimate best true fact: The linkingbook you found in that offside area is actually a real thing. Heres a webpage talking all about it: http://www.riumplus.com/mystbook/ .

Also there may be a few plot details you didn't mention but I can't remember if they get brought up at this point, but there is a reason why people write in blue.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I assume they had to make their own ink?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Slaan posted:

I assume they had to make their own ink?

I would guess the Mofang can't see blue.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Here is a 'I am too lazy to make a banner' update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoBYcLCG9qs

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Xenoveritas posted:

They just released it for PS4 with a PS VR patch coming soon. They were showing a demo of the PS VR version at PAX West.

Why does nobody tell me these things. I didn't even check this thread again until just now.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I never did figure out the number system for this, I was stuck one one of these bridges for ages.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I really liked the base 4 puzzles, I especially like how badly lovely click bait walkthroughs understood them.

Notice that these solutions work because the last entered code is just 33,232 or something. In some cases the 2s are incorrectly drawn so the console will autocorrect them just like the one in Hunrath does.

Of course in reality it's so simple once you understand how the consoles actually work. Since you're really just writing out the number 33,333 in base 4, or 22,222 since 2s work as well. It doesn't even require understanding the math, just the relation of the dots to their respective digits. It all leads up to actually needing to understand the math as it appears in the next video. I hope it's clear enough with just my explanation in video but I should probably use a post to explain it as well just for people's satisfaction.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I finished this game and I have Feelings.

I guess we'll get to it in due course but as has been said in videos I think entirely too many of the game's best puzzles were frontloaded, and the swapping puzzles are extremely loving cool in concept but needed to be used much more sparingly because in practice they are rubiks cubes with input lag. If we could replace, say, the entirety of Maray with something containing, say, two more puzzles with solutions roughly as awesome and player-genius-validating as the bit on Kaptar where you swap the bit of house with the minecart tracks back to Hunrath and use it to swap the minecart to Kaptar, that would be swell.

The big thing I really want to see Cyan do again is to bring back game-spanning puzzles of the sort we saw in Riven. I'll still hold that Riven was the high point of the Myst series because it completely embodied the concept that Cyan keep saying is the main draw of their games; puzzles whose mere perception is part of the puzzle. My favourite fun fact to tell people about Riven is that the game only actually had two puzzles in it, really. You could, if you were irritating, boil these puzzles down to two particular input devices in two particular points of the game that themselves weren't particularly hidden. You would, as the Dude said, not be wrong, Walter, just an rear end in a top hat. But coming up with the solutions to these things requires putting together bits and pieces from all over the entire game world. Every single thing you see, do and learn is part of the process of computing one of the solutions. Of course, you don't do these things appreciating this, but the defining moments of Riven are when five or six completely different things suddenly click into place, and you feel less like a genius than like Neo seeing the code of the Matrix. Things like bringing the minecart to Kaplar are the closest Obduction gets to that. And then we go to Maray and it's like someone said "what if we made The Witness - a game that lovingly took great influence from Myst - except without literally any of the things that made The Witness great, or even good, or even tolerable as a puzzle game, and just made a really pretty jungle where you have to solve a bunch of puzzles?".

Anyway, I beat Obduction almost entirely without a guide. I looked one thing up and afterwards felt entirely justified in having done so. It was the clue about "under the direction of our first Mayor". You see, nowhere in the PS4 port is it ever explained that you can turn items over while examining them. You expect, with a gamepad, that you can turn stuff over with the L or R stick while examining, but in Obduction, the R stick just moves the pointer around and touching the L stick at all puts the item down and moves the player. I legit thought that you just could not move items around. So I picked up the compass once (before the hint, actually), and thought, oh, that's cool, I guess the magnetic fields here are hosed. I picked it up again after reading the clue and figured maybe I could interact with it or something. Then I scoured Hunrath for hours. I looked all around his grave. I thought it might be under the list of mayors. I dialed both of his names, because they're both six letters! So I looked it up. It turns out that you have to hold the interact button and then move the stick that I had learned never to move while examining things. Honestly I think that was a pretty cheap puzzle to begin with, because it hinges entirely on a small detail on a single wall that there's no reason to look at, and, unlike Riven, whose puzzles also required you to perceive things in the environment that you might have just looked straight past, gives you nothing concrete to suggest the significance of the location. Also, it strikes me that non-Americans wouldn't associate states with licence plates, but hey.

Also for some reason the Villein input panels look like complete rear end on the PS4 and there seems to be no earthly reason why that ought to be the case.

I would also buy (or back) Obduction 2 in a heartbeat.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I bought this game after watching the first video of this LP and loved it up until the Villien world. I had a heap of trouble only with the Ant world because I missed a path you could take and was never able to find it until I saw you doing it on the LP.

The Villien world is absolute rear end. I didn't work out how to open the bridges, I just played with the screen until it worked. Then I found out you could copy paste that stupid shape and have it work everywhere. It killed me enthusiasm for the game to the point where I just read the plot synopsis and I'll just watch the videos. Such a dearth of content they try to hide away with pointless busywork. Walk a million miles in ant land, loading screens in Villien and etc.

Give me stuff that makes me feel smart for exploring the world. I backtracked for ages once I worked out I could destroy things with my railcraft. I used it on everything and I figured out the puzzles by experiementing. So much fun!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpMiID4KR2E

Another bannerless update because banners are effort.

This is a bit late because Mozic has been in the middle of a cross-country move so we didn't have the ability to record new ones and I decided to stretch these out a bit. Should be back to normal now though.

Those are some good words about obduction a couple posts up too.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
As I understand it, the one door opening is entirely controlled by the one Villein, who absolutely will not open the door until he can be absolutely sure that you know that fake Josef is fake.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

That seems pretty reasonable but it could've been better communicated then, maybe if I was looking at the villein I would've seen him open the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah that's what I got as well, he's warning you about the illusion before opening the door. Maybe he fell for it at first but managed to salvage the situation with some wounds and now sees that you might be falling for it so he does what he can.

• Locked thread