Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
It sorta feels like Liverpool actually 100% think they can just do whatever they want after Suarez and now Coutinho going their way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Brony Car posted:

According to Dominic King, Emre Can's contract situation is stalled because Liverpool do not want to put in a release clause into his new contract.

https://twitter.com/DominicKing_DM/status/905184288513118209

At this point, I think the club should just let him have one. I guess the way transfer fees have inflated, you can never be certain if it's opening yourself up to get fleeced, but if it's a choice between that and letting him go on a free, the former definitely seems preferable.

I think we're likely going to lose him to Juve one way or another. If a release clause is what makes the difference between getting some money and letting him go for free I'm for it.

Definitely seems like Keita and Ox were signed as replacements for him.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/FOXES_Fanly/status/905371238465458176

14 seconds

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

How do you gently caress that up?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Android phone probably.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

blue footed boobie posted:

How do you gently caress that up?

get this: very carefully

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Reminder that Leicester are apparently the ambitions of Arsenals owners/executives/board. :suicide:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There's no way they don't get a pass on appeal but it's still a hilarious cock up.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

pik_d posted:

It sorta feels like Liverpool actually 100% think they can just do whatever they want after Suarez and now Coutinho going their way.

it'll cause some problems here and there but honestly i prefer it that way

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

kcer posted:

Wenger can't win

Not really been paying close attention for years but I remember Wenger won a ton of stuff when he first came along and then it seemed to dry up for a decade. Did he just lose his edge? Priced out of the market? The game changed to where his style wasn't viable anymore?

I remember he was easily baited by mind games and the like.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

BigPaddy posted:

Not really been paying close attention for years but I remember Wenger won a ton of stuff when he first came along and then it seemed to dry up for a decade. Did he just lose his edge? Priced out of the market? The game changed to where his style wasn't viable anymore?

He basically hasn't changed the way his team plays in the past ten years, and it's caught up to him.

Ornstein has been saying a lot about what happened this summer, and it all seems like the club is just terribly managed. As far as I can tell, the club just isn't good at negotiating contracts or transfer fees. There's a bizarre disconnect between the players, the manager, and the club such that no one seems to have a clue what the other is doing. The scouting team is bad. It all sounds very disorganized and like there's no plan for what to do going forward.

Also, Wengy didn't figure out that his central midfield was poo poo until the Liverpool game.

Oh, and the board pulled the plug on a transfer for Kante because agents' fees were too high. Moral Highground trophy.

:suicide:

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

BigPaddy posted:

Hes a bitch

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

BigPaddy posted:

No to all, it's just exaggerated because it's fun to laugh at Arsenal fans. They still win things, just not the things their entitled baby fans want them to win. They also have a tendency to get spanked at least once a season by one of their "title rivals", which doesn't help.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Wengy throwing his toys out of the pram when Tony Adams said he couldn't coach a defense nor manage his way out of a paper bag seems pretty apt as well. Turns out if you have 3 literal world class players at once you can win things. Who knew?

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/Football__Tweet/status/905404028338806784

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
wenger was infuriatingly good at his job for a very, very long time

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Until this summer Arsenal had one man negotiating all contracts and transfers, from the lowest academy level all the way up to the first team. Now we have two!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

José Enrique, the guy who was cool and good and dumb as rocks, retired with a knee injury

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

José Enrique, the guy who was cool and good and dumb as rocks, retired with a knee injury

I liked it when he had a go at Fat Mike on Twitter

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sporting Lisbon are one of my best teams now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

Arsenal built a new stadium that put them under financial constraints for about a decade and it seems that decade broke Wenger's brain. He became obsessed with developing youth instead of buying good players, which was understandable when the stadium cost meant they couldn't afford good players but isn't understandable now that they're raking in new-stadium-money. The big problem was Wenger had this dream of a homegrown team of teenagers that grew up together and played fluid football together and won things together for years and years but then when that dream was finally fulfilled it was fulfilled by Barcelona and not him because it turns out he's garbage at developing youth players and the only successful development he ever had was a kid he poached from Barcelona because English laws allowed him to offer professional contracts before Barcelona could. But his decade-long obsession with spending no money and building a fluid passing team of French teenagers meant he no longer understands how the transfer market works and no longer understands how football tactics work, which means his team are inept at signing players, inept at negotiating with players they've already signed, and inept at adapting to other teams tactically. Also they have bad American owners so they're just generally a big fail club from top to bottom.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

vyelkin posted:

Arsenal built a new stadium that put them under financial constraints for about a decade and it seems that decade broke Wenger's brain. He became obsessed with developing youth instead of buying good players, which was understandable when the stadium cost meant they couldn't afford good players but isn't understandable now that they're raking in new-stadium-money. The big problem was Wenger had this dream of a homegrown team of teenagers that grew up together and played fluid football together and won things together for years and years but then when that dream was finally fulfilled it was fulfilled by Barcelona and not him because it turns out he's garbage at developing youth players and the only successful development he ever had was a kid he poached from Barcelona because English laws allowed him to offer professional contracts before Barcelona could. But his decade-long obsession with spending no money and building a fluid passing team of French teenagers meant he no longer understands how the transfer market works and no longer understands how football tactics work, which means his team are inept at signing players, inept at negotiating with players they've already signed, and inept at adapting to other teams tactically. Also they have bad American owners so they're just generally a big fail club from top to bottom.

This is spot on really. I would also argue that Eduardo breaking his leg really hosed Arsenal up more than it should have and really ramped up the "buying French teenagers" thing since there was no immediate replacement.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Even under "financial constraints" Arsenal still outspent 80% of the league every year so boo hoo.

What team of French teenagers are we on about, anyway? It's his obsession with English youth that has tarnished his legacy.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

You can see that in his transfer “strategy” too, he only ever has eyes for the exact perfect player who fits his system flawlessly, and refuses to identify second choices or adjust his system to fit them, even if it would ultimately make the team better.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
he keeps buying weak-minded pissbabies that crumple under any sign of pressure

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

vyelkin posted:

Arsenal are bad now because Dein left and took any kind of football business skill with him, god knows who negotiates now, probably Wenger fiddling with his zip.

Blaming just Wenger is stupid, there are massive problems with things like oversight, direction and to some extent a culture that fosters the right kind of mentality. Arsenal's players never look like they give a poo poo either way which is the exact opposite of how the good arsenal sides were. All of that comes from above so owned fail arsenal fans.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

wicka posted:

You can see that in his transfer “strategy” too, he only ever has eyes for the exact perfect player who fits his system flawlessly, and refuses to identify second choices or adjust his system to fit them, even if it would ultimately make the team better.

Um I think you’ll find he adjusted his system this year to fit a player.

By moving Hector to the left so the Ox could play.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

fat gay nonce posted:

Arsenal are bad now because Dein left and took any kind of football business skill with him, god knows who negotiates now, probably Wenger fiddling with his zip.

Blaming just Wenger is stupid, there are massive problems with things like oversight, direction and to some extent a culture that fosters the right kind of mentality. Arsenal's players never look like they give a poo poo either way which is the exact opposite of how the good arsenal sides were. All of that comes from above so owned fail arsenal fans.

This is true except that a manager who isn’t out of his drat mind could get quite a lot out of the team Arsenal has.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

kcer posted:

I liked it when he looked like Max Payne.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

wicka posted:

This is true except that a manager who isn’t out of his drat mind could get quite a lot out of the team Arsenal has.

bring in Ranieri for the full Leicester experience

Arsenal players could probably benefit from eating a pizza now and then

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kcer posted:

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/905537400474144768

So this is what an official transfer offer looks like..

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Nah, not buying a picture of a screen with an email on it. Not when Sulllivan and Gold have started a libel case against them. Don't know if I trust Sky Sports News to be as stringent with the veracity of their sources as regular journalists.

Edit: hang on I've got it slightly the wrong way round. West Ham say they made a bid, it got rejected, then Sporting later contacted them again and said they would accept it. Sporting said there as never any offer made either way.

So this is the email that Sullivan says happened and Sporting says didn't. Yeah alright it's probably real then.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 6, 2017

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

fat gay nonce posted:

It goes from top to bottom. Wenger hasn't motivated his team in years, has completely lost the dressing room, and has been identifying lovely transfer targets who become deadweight or want to leave a year after their sold. There's plenty of blame to go around.

E: In hindsight, Arsenal's transfers over the last 3/4 years are pretty hilarious.

13/14
Sanogo (Bad; gone)
Ozil (Leaving on a free)
Flamini (retired tbf)

14/15
Debuchy (Hasn't played in years)
Alexis (Leaving on a free)
Ospina (Couldn't sell him)
Chambers (Couldn't sell him)
Welbeck (Mediocre)
Bielik (Still young)
Gabriel (Gone)

15/16
Cech (Good signing!)
Elneny (Couldn't sell him)

16/17
Xhaka (Okay)
Asano (Dead?)
Holding (Good signing!)
Perez (Gone)

So, basically Arsenal have spent a ton of money to sign Cech and Holding over four years.

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 6, 2017

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/905537400474144768

So this is what an official transfer offer looks like..

That's more professional than I expected to be honest

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

It goes from top to bottom. Wenger hasn't motivated his team in years, has completely lost the dressing room, and has been identifying lovely transfer targets who become deadweight or want to leave a year after their sold. There's plenty of blame to go around.

I think Mustafi, Elneny, and Gabriel were all players identified and bought because of Kroenke's stats company. How much Arsene had to do with those transfers we might never know. However, outside of basically Kosc defenders have been a rotating cast of....ugh. Since Cesc left its hard to identify how the team even plays.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Why would you complain about Özil or Sanchez being bad signings when they singlehandedly kept Arsenal in the champions league spots for years?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

elbkaida posted:

Why would you complain about Özil or Sanchez being bad signings when they singlehandedly kept Arsenal in the champions league spots for years?

Because you don't expect your record signings to leave on a free in their prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Because you don't expect your record signings to leave on a free in their prime.

If you're an obvious #10 you probably don't expect to be played on the wing in a team where you are twice as talented as anyone else, so

• Locked thread