Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

It's not a passing fad, it's a temporary increase in TV rights value, and no one thinks it's a bubble because they hope so, they think it's a bubble because it fits the actual definition of a bubble.

The fact that you are talking about the value of TV rights increasing in concert with the popularity of the sport means you fundamentally misunderstand what is happening.

everyone knows bitcoin is a stupid bubble fueled by idiots and that keeps on going up.

and far more idiots like football than bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

Yeah but F1 just switched ownership.

I know that there are many people that would happily pay a decent amount of money for reliable, official streams from the league that are accessible world wide. WRC does this and it's great, doesn't MotoGP as well?

Yeah, MotoGP does it, why the hell haven't you subscribed? You're gonna miss Dovi's magical triumph!

JFairfax posted:

everyone knows bitcoin is a stupid bubble fueled by idiots and that keeps on going up.

and far more idiots like football than bitcoin.

This is the worst post ever made in a football thread. Why do you think these two things are related at all?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

Yeah but F1 just switched ownership.

I know that there are many people that would happily pay a decent amount of money for reliable, official streams from the league that are accessible world wide. WRC does this and it's great, doesn't MotoGP as well?

MLB, NBA, NHL and MLS all have it too (with the caveat of dumb blackout rules being an issue)

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
By the bubble wicka is actually talking about Wenger's massive hemorrhoid he has been dealing with for years that has slowly consumed his football mind.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

T Bowl posted:

By the bubble wicka is actually talking about Wenger's massive hemorrhoid he has been dealing with for years that has slowly consumed his football mind.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Analysts are saying TV rights are going to increase again both domestically and internationally, which will take the increases until 2022 at least. After that who knows what will happen.

Maybe everything will burst, or maybe £2000 season tickets and Snapchat Gold memberships will make up for any drop in TV rights.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
BT Sport's arrival was the worst thing

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Analysts are saying TV rights are going to increase again both domestically and internationally, which will take the increases until 2022 at least. After that who knows what will happen.

Maybe everything will burst, or maybe £2000 season tickets and Snapchat Gold memberships will make up for any drop in TV rights.

Right, so the situation the Premier League is in money-wise has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with anything but TV rights. Matchday revenue, sponsorship, shirt sales, etc., all basically irrelevant. I mean, yes, there's a lot of money there, but all the huge growth is coming from TV rights, which now makes up about half of most clubs' total revenue. So to suggest "maybe season tickets will fill the gap" is just nonsense, there's absolutely no reason to ever believe that will be the case, you're basically just saying "I don't want to believe there's a bubble, so here's the first thing I thought of."

Any broadcast partner that picks up PL rights after this current situation ends is logically not going to be able to continue doing what the pay TV providers are doing, because the pay TV providers are hugely overpaying for Premier League rights. There's no reason to believe a similar situation just appears out of thin air.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How can TV rights be paying out so much yet Arsenal can't find the money to make signings? That Ornstein tweet can't be right. I'm more inclined to think Arsene is just pennypinching.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

wicka posted:

Yeah, MotoGP does it, why the hell haven't you subscribed? You're gonna miss Dovi's magical triumph!

This is the worst post ever made in a football thread. Why do you think these two things are related at all?

They both involve inflating bubbles for imaginary long term gains? That one actually offers a product isn't really that relevant.

julian assflange posted:

I'll never hear Johnny Vegas say 'Monkeh' again :smith:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Strawman posted:

They both involve inflating bubbles for imaginary long term gains? That one actually offers a product isn't really that relevant.

Jesus Christ

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

julian assflange posted:

This is it - the prices the TV companies are paying aren't because Premier League football is the most exciting and in-demand thing in the world, it's because you have Sky and BT competing tooth and nail for the package TV+fibre broadband market, and BT know that if Sky lose the one thing their model has been based on for 25 years, they're going to be in a very weak position

If that stops being a thing, prices might go back to "more than it's worth for the terrestrial channels and/or two passing Irishmen who own a zoetrope to bid for them, and no more"

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vegetable posted:

How can TV rights be paying out so much yet Arsenal can't find the money to make signings? That Ornstein tweet can't be right. I'm more inclined to think Arsene is just pennypinching.

I kind of buy it. Arsenal have an absolutely huge squad, and all of the bad players are on high wages. I could see them needing to clear players out before they signed more bad players on high wages.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Partly Arsenal having a bloated squad with large wages, partly Arsene not wanting to over pay, partly Kroenke liking his teams to turn a profit and he is building a $2bn stadium in LA.

The plan set out not just by Wenger but the board pre-Kroenke was sound: build a top stadium to increase match day revenue etc but as we have just said, due to the hyper inflation of tv rights money all the other stuff is now loose change. The prize money for finishing dead last is around £100m.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Spurs new stadium is pretty nuts.

https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/905744331776167936

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Spurs are hosed it'll be 3 years before they even begin to recapture their old home form. They'll be a bottom half club within 2.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Why is there a fuckin NFL pitch in london

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

Why is there a fuckin NFL pitch in london

Because you bitches can't get enough

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Congratulations on the NFL field, Tottenham. I'm jealous.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The rights for those NFL games in London are probably worth paying to have that installed, DUH.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

this is insanely retarded i hope its a joke

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

this is dumb as hell i hope spurs sign some huge name player and theres a malfunction in their dumb retractable pitch machinery and the big signing falls in a hole and disappears into the hydraulics forever

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The pitch retracts and out from his vault pops Daniel Levy.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Bape Culture posted:

lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Our retractable pitch is a friend to all players

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Bape Culture posted:

Do you think he pops out Jewishly?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

so much poo poo to go wrong, wonder when the first match will be delayed because their pitch is jammed, or someone manages to fall through the touchline

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cant wait for a star player to blow out his knee after he catches an edge on the "seamless" pitch

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

kcer posted:

so much poo poo to go wrong, wonder when the first match will be delayed because their pitch is jammed, or someone manages to fall through the touchline

Yup, someone's going to get seriously injured here.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
why is the real pitch the one that retracts

keep the plastic one out of the sun spurs

thinks about these things

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

mind the gap

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yes jokes are fun but you guys do realize that probably retracts slower than a snail like the retractable roofs on stadiums like my beloved Indianapolis Colts home Lucas Oil Stadium.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

T Bowl posted:

Yes jokes are fun but you guys do realize that probably retracts slower than a snail like the retractable roofs on stadiums like my beloved Indianapolis Colts home Lucas Oil Stadium.

The clip says it takes 25 minutes to switch. Also the idea that it wont be seamless is pretty silly. Those semi-real turf pitches are already sections of turf put together, this will literally be no different.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Having conquered that sweet EPL money Levy is now setting his eyes on NFL. Pretty ingenious imo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Arsene's gonna be pretty mad he didn't think of it first

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao Wenger

quote:

Arsène Wenger has lost faith in one of his guiding principles and called for financial fair play to be scrapped. The Arsenal manager says clubs have found a way to bluff around Uefa’s regulations and it has effectively rendered them unenforceable. He feels that if the Premier League is to “remain the best league in the world” the decision must be taken to revert to no financial limits.

Wenger reflected on a wild summer transfer window in which he suggested that Liverpool had most likely tapped up Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain before taking him from Arsenal for an initial £35m on 31 August. Four days earlier, the midfielder had played for Arsenal in the club’s 4-0 defeat at Anfield. Wenger said he did not know whether Liverpool had spoken to Oxlade-Chamberlain in the hours leading up to kick-off. He hoped they had not.

Wenger did not make his comments in an angry or accusatory fashion; they were underpinned by realism. In short, tapping up is a part of the modern game. Everybody does it. But Wenger was less willing to shrug off what he sees as the holes in FFP.

He was asked whether he had a view on the complaint made to Uefa by the La Liga president, Javier Tebas, about the summer spending of Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City. PSG broke the world transfer record with their £198m purchase of Neymar from Barcelona while they took Kylian Mbappé from Monaco on a season‑long loan with an option to buy him for £166m. Uefa are investigating PSG but not City, who have threatened Tebas with legal action. Wenger did have a view and it was strident.

“Financial fair play raises new questions,” Wenger said. “I always did plead for it. Today, I am not convinced that we can maintain it. Football is maybe only at the start of a huge financial investment. It has become the most powerful sport in the world. It means do we have to open the door completely to investments? It is a question we have to raise because, aAt the moment, it looks like we have created rules that cannot be respected. There is nothing worse than when you create rules that are not respected.

“Maybe we are at the crossroads and we have to think, do we open it with complete freedom to investment for people like the Chinese and Americans, who want to invest here [in England]? If you want to remain the best league in the world, that is certainly the way we have to go.

“Do I want to get rid of financial pair play? I think so because there are too many legal ways to get around it. The question, at least, has to be raised. At the moment, it looks like you can buy clubs in China and get the players there, and buy them in other clubs, then get them, after, here. You can get around [FFP]. Am I convinced that, at the moment, the rules are strong enough to make it respected? I’m not sure.”

Wenger’s remarks on tapping-up came as he explained why he was in favour of the summer transfer window closing before the start of the Premier League season. “You sit there before the games and in players’ minds, they have no clarity,” Wenger said. “Are they in? Are they out? Are they half in? Are they half out? Are they tapped up in the afternoon of the game by people who want to get them out?”

Wenger was asked whether any player in his dressing-room at Liverpool on the Sunday before last had been tapped up in advance of the game or on the day of it. It was clear that the question related to Oxlade-Chamberlain. “I don’t know,” Wenger replied.

Was it his suspicion? “Have they been tapped up?” Wenger said. “Of course. But on the day of a game? I don’t think so. I hope not. But it’s inevitable. France played against Holland on the last day of the transfer window. Do you really think that not one French player or Dutch player had phone-calls in the afternoon about do they move or not? You’re not naive enough to believe that.”

Wenger insisted that he did not regret starting with Oxlade-Chamberlain in the Liverpool game. “If I am a football player, I can perform even if Liverpool is in my head,” he said. “I don’t think that should stop you to perform. Did it? I think he was not worse than any other player on the football pitch.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/07/arsene-wenger-calls-end-ffp-rules-u-turn-arsenal

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

This seems completely fair tbh.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

This seems completely fair tbh.

Sure but 1) everyone knew FFP was a joke from day one, he was literally the only person who thought it would be a real thing and his club are suffering for it, and 2) he thinks the best future for the Premier League is endless Chinese and American investment.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Wicka is insanely retarded like every post he's made in this thread is wrong

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

straight up brolic posted:

Wicka is insanely retarded like every post he's made in this thread is wrong

also ever in any thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread