Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Waroduce posted:

Am sure glad u guys convinced me to sit out pool spurs after the excellent transfer window by liverpool

- An American

You're welcome, Ayn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
According to Dominic King, Emre Can's contract situation is stalled because Liverpool do not want to put in a release clause into his new contract.

https://twitter.com/DominicKing_DM/status/905184288513118209

At this point, I think the club should just let him have one. I guess the way transfer fees have inflated, you can never be certain if it's opening yourself up to get fleeced, but if it's a choice between that and letting him go on a free, the former definitely seems preferable.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I don't get the Ozil hate either.

I wish my club had some more flat track bullies.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Mourinho's tough love pushed Lukaku out, but Lukaku grew up and went back to being managed by him. Pereira will end up the same way.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
You guys are overhyping Liverpool too much. The defense really needs work so Man City will have some joy too.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Should've just got Big Sam back

Didn't Allardyce insist on calling it a day? It sounds like unless the assignment is an international team, he's not coming back.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

tarbrush posted:

All the lols.

Hodgson's record against Liverpool is pretty strong. I wouldn't be gloating about this.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

PirateBob posted:

Let me get this straight. Palace hired a new manager this summer, and then sacked him now after just 4 games? Did he rape the owner's dog or something :confused:

From what I've read, Crystal Palace's board wanted to see an evolution to a more pleasing style and underestimated how risky that transition might be and overestimated how easily they could pull it off without expensive transfers. The board liked De Boer due to him having a good record with Ajax (which is kind of misleading) and ignored his struggles at Inter.

Hodgson is not a bad call and Palace are better than they have shown this season so far. They will survive and Hodgson will revitalize his career. Everybody except Liverpool fans will be happy.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

sassassin posted:

Took some balls to appeal that. Should have been given some extra matches for frivolous appeal.

So Liverpool should be punished for having balls? Glad to see the SJWs are revealing themselves. :rolleyes:

Der Shovel posted:

Seriously. How the gently caress was anything about that up to debate? What was even their appeal?

Probably something about it not being intentional because Mane didn't see how close Ederson was before going for the ball or something like that.

I think it was a red, but I can see why Liverpool would try to appeal to get the ban down to one match instead of 3, which I believe was the intent of the appeal.

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 12, 2017

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Meat Wagon posted:

You don't get bans reduced because you didn't mean it, come on.

I'm just repeating what I've read.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Im glad Mane got banned and I hope Liverpool lose every match hes out and their fans keep crying about it like bitches

I'm sad that you would feel that way about a team that I, a fellow Portugal fan, support.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

I don't think the marketing department is going to like how the media leaked the identity of Manchester United's new Official Nuclear Weaponry Partner before the press release was prepared.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0UdzTeHdNA

You all might find this pretty funny. Even I had to laugh.

Poor Dejan.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
If Reddit and RAWK are any indication, the bust has come super early for many and I find it weird. One loss and one draw and now so many people want to junk it all and start again.

I wonder if it's because of the fact that Liverpool recently passed the "10,000 days since the last league title" landmark. Or maybe it's the constant stream of internet outrage making people less patient than usual.

Or maybe the ugly truth is that all any group of fans want is their own Abramovich.

EvilHawk posted:

Memes aside this is the issue I have with Klopp. We all know that Burnley are the type of team we struggle with. It was evident when he first came in (even going back to the Rodgers era) and he has done absolutely nothing to fix it in the last two and a half years. If there's no improvement what's the point?

No improvement? This is the first Liverpool squad in a long time that I've seen that has a decent amount of attacking contributors (as opposed to being carried by a Gerrard, Suarez or Torres). The team is more dangerous as a unit and with the addition of Salah, an injury or suspension Mane becomes less of a crisis in itself. Lallana and Clyne come back from injury and both the midfield balance and defensive solidity should greatly improve.

For most of the seasons since Benitez, Liverpool's attack used to be blunt and the defense was still creaky and porous. Rodgers' one great seasom is more like the exception that proves the rule on that front too. Maybe the defense is struggling, but the attack foundations have improved a lot and I don't see how they've peaked yet.

Anyway, Klopp is the first manager since God knows when not locked in some kind of civil war with the ownership over control or funds. He's not perfect, but he's still pretty good. The club have made progress in terms of league finishes and cup finals under him. I don't know why anyone would give up on him at this point, especially after 5 games while dealing with a load of crappy injury issues and transfer sagas..

greazeball posted:

Liverpool will never learn to defend set pieces until we have a player who can actually put in a dangerous ball from a set piece. Imagine training all week against our variety of completely useless dead balls and then having to face a team that actually knows what they're doing.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

james milner is good at set pieces

He's not that great at dead balls. He's a very good penalty taker, though.

Greazeball has a point. I don't think Liverpool have had a consistently decent set piece taker since Suarez and Gerrard left.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

EvilHawk posted:

It's all well and good being dangerous but we consistently shoot ourselves in the foot by giving up cheap goals, and Klopp has not fixed that (I'd argue he's made it worse).

I'm not sure Clyne coming back is going to fix Klavan and Matip going for the same ball and both missing.

I think a lot of problems with Lovren, Matip and Klavan come from them having to make quick decisions under high pressure. From thw articles I've read, Klopp tries to train them for that situation, but it might be beyond the players' ability.

The reason I mention that is that Clyne got some stick for not being the greatest attacker, but he was much better at tracking back and getting to the right place than any of the present fullback options. Yeah, that does not solve the individual errors of others, but the extra cover helps relieve pressure on the CBs and improves the defense overall..

Hopefully Clyne's not permanently broken. TAA and Gomez are both promising, but they have a lot to learn.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Blinkz0rz posted:

There's a lot of words in this thread about how a poo poo team remains poo poo despite fans wishing for the glory days.

I'm sure you have a lot to add!

Serious question, though... what do you think it is about Wembley that is screwing with Spurs' rhythm? Is the pitch bad? Are the acoustics detracting from the atmosphere?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

EvilHawk posted:

One thing that people who have been at the games this season have noted is that nobody in the back five talks to each other. It was so clear for Burnley's goal that Matip didn't tell TAA he had someone on him, Klavan never gave Matip a shout, Can or Robertson didn't alert each other to the attacker coming through the middle, and Mignolet never talks to anyone.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Yeah. Clever if you like stereotypes that sustain the patriarchy.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Maybe the Ox looks good in training? I have no idea how managers and scouts assess a player, but good managers like Wenger and Conte both thought they could work with him and rate him. There's got to be something there.

Or it could be a long term tactical game by chessmaster Wenger to ruin his rivals by tricking them into spending scarce money on bad goods.

He seems to go for a wannabe-Gerrard style no matter which place he is on the pitch, and it makes him look worse. He needs to let go of that idea he can be Gerrard and just concentrate on whatever his position demands.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

PirateBob posted:

Klopp's win rate at LFC is worse than Moyes' at Utd. (52.9% vs 50.5%) :allears:

Well, Moyes did have a better team and only had one season. I bet he could have had a higher win percentage if you guys just stuck with him.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

bewbies posted:

olympiakos and istanbul aside that to me is far more entertaining than rafa's teams setting "most games without conceding" records while grinding out countless 1-0 wins

More like grinding out 0-0 draws.

I love Benitez as much as the next cultist, but some of the memories fans on various forums (especially the Liverpool reddit) are showing regarding his time at Liverpool are getting pretty selective. I know you can try to frame 2009-2010 as a one-off and he definitely deserved more time to see his plan through, but there were some turgid and uninspiring displays (and heartbreaking losses) during his stint too.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Matip and Lovren might both be unavailable for the match against Leicester on Saturday due to injury.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-news-injury-lovren-matip-emre-can-leicester-jurgen-klopp-a7959376.html

Can't wait for Gomez and Klavan to chat poo poo and get banged.

Contrary to what is stated in the report, Can is apparently okay (and Cheese and Vyelkin rejoyced).

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Byolante posted:

Anyone who tries to claim R*fa is a good manager first needs to explain why forcing xabi Alonso out of the club in an attempt to get Gareth Barry that failed wasn't the worst transfer business between ali dia and oxchambo

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/09/19/former-liverpool-boss-rafa-benitez-explains-why-he-wanted-to-swap-xabi-alonso-for-gareth-barry/

The reasoning involved the fact that Barry could play on the left. The whole idea is a bit of a mess and I think trying to make Liverpool a league challenger on a budget screwed up his brain.

quote:

“Barry was perfect: he could play as a central midfielder, of course, but he had some experience as an attacking left-back, which would be a useful option for home games where we were expected to go forward, and even as a left-winger.

“We knew we would have to sell players that summer if we were to raise the funds to bring in the reinforcements – and, in particular, the British reinforcements – we needed,” he wrote.

“That would require parting company with one of our current squad members who would fetch a substantial fee. We decided that the most likely candidate was Xabi Alonso, who had been a great player for us since we signed him from Real Sociedad, but had not quite performed to his best in the last couple of years.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Basically, being a manager is a land of contrasts.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

PirateBob posted:

"Man United want to identify fans who sung Lukaku song at Southampton

Manchester United have accused supporters who continued to sing a controversial chant about Romelu Lukaku at Southampton of "disrespecting the player's wishes."

The club have asked for CCTV footage of the away end at St Mary's to help identify the fans who sang the song, which has been condemned by anti-discrimination group Kick It Out, during the 1-0 win.

A United spokesman said: "Manchester United has a zero tolerance stance on offensive chanting and behaviour.

"The club and player have been clear in asking for an end to the chant.

"The club has worked with relevant bodies and supporters groups in trying to eradicate any offensive behaviour and will take further action against individuals if this continues.

"The club is in discussion with the police and has asked for CCTV footage from Southampton and will try to identify those who disrespected the player's wishes not to sing the song."

Yeah... identify all of them. :rolleyes: It was pretty loving loud.

There is no place at Manchester United for people with large genitalia. :smith:

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

tarbrush posted:

Wijnaldum has not clicked at all this year, but he was our best midfielder for large parts of last year. His regression is mystifying and annoying

Could be the recent baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

Have Everton poached Ed Woodward from United?

Maybe it wasn't Ed Woodward who was pulling all the strings. Maybe it was... WAYNE.

• Locked thread