Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

You own an Apple TV. You like the idea of Plex – roll your own Netflix – but you have taste and find the Plex UI dumb and transcoding a useless hassle. You're streaming over a LAN, so what's the point of a full-on server when you'd rather just direct stream from a cheap NAS? Maybe you have super high quality/bitrate media like Blu-ray remuxes and don't want compression anyway. But you're disappointed with Plex's implementation of direct play. Enter Infuse.

Infuse is a library browser and video player for Apple TV and iOS. It has a gorgeous and deceptively simple UI in front of a rock solid playback core that can stream pretty much any file type you throw at it, including DVD and Blu-ray folders, fast as poo poo. You will be absolutely flabbergasted by how smooth and responsively this baby can play huge files over 802.11ac. It requires a minimum of janitoring to get set up and maintain, and automatically pulls metadata for your files.

Since I got this app I have been screaming at everyone I know about how great it is and why are you still using Plex like some kind of Philistine??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So no offline video playback and it suggests carrying around a hard drive to take movies with me?

Also I have to use a cloud service to stream remotely?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

You're streaming over a LAN,

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

sellouts posted:

So no offline video playback and it suggests carrying around a hard drive to take movies with me?

Also I have to use a cloud service to stream remotely?
This is an at-home solution. Where are you taking your movies?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I also stream off of a LAN with Plex.

But I would take the movies the same place I take Plex?

To my hotel, on an airplane, to my parents house?

Why would an at home solution tie into so many cloud services?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 3, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

You don't need to use a cloud service to stream from it remotely, although I haven't found a need to do so yet personally.

https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000074153-Streaming-Away-From-Home

I would agree that it's primarily an at home solution where it is leagues better than Plex. I use it to stream from a DS216j to an Apple TV / LG B6. Transcoded video is unacceptable under those circumstances!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 4, 2017

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Infuse is similar to MrMC, i.e. what you poor ATV users have to use since you can't get regular Kodi on your platform (easily).

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Kodi's interface is even more poo poo than Plex's, and I find the Infuse playback core more compatible and responsive over LAN.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Kodi has a new default interface, its actually pretty good. Anyways my GF has an ATV, I will check this out sometime for kicks.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Kodi's interface is even more poo poo than Plex's, and I find the Infuse playback core more compatible and responsive over LAN.

Clearly you have strong opinions and, you know, good for you, but that is a pretty bold statement considering just how customizable Kodi's look and feel is, and how genuinely decent the new default UX in v17 is. Not that it matters anyway because getting Kodi on a newer ATV and keeping it up to date is a giant pain in the rear end anyway.

Glad you like Infuse.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Infuse sounds like it solves a very specific problem for a very small set of users and that problem will likely be rectified with the next rumored ATV update to 4k/HDR, but glad you like it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What problem is that? Playing back H265 without having to transcode?

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
Infuse is basically no different from plex. I've tried both and stuck with plex.

That being said this thread will probably make me go back and try both again just to be certain.

So thanks OP. Thanks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have installed infuse on my atv ages ago but never got around to trying it out, this thread has spurred me into action!

Confused there are two apps on the app store, one free with an $8.50 IAP to pro and the pro app is $17.99 (prices CAD). What is the difference other than I think IAP are not eligible from family sharing (I think?).

E: no web front end for watching on a PC is a bit of a bummer too.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The use cases are slightly different. Plex is good for remote streaming/transcoding. Infuse is good for playing high quality media losslessly over a LAN. Most of the people I know are using Plex in situation B, and it is deeply suboptimal for that, in terms of quality, reliability, compatibility, ease of use, etc.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Aha, the $17.99 CAD pro app is lifetime whereas the free one is $8.49 per year for the pro subscription .

Playing on ATV for free seems fine. I just pointed it at my Plex server, easy.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

These are the pro-only features, probably not make-or-break for a lot of people.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

The use cases are slightly different. Plex is good for remote streaming/transcoding. Infuse is good for playing high quality media losslessly over a LAN. Most of the people I know are using Plex in situation B, and it is deeply suboptimal for that, in terms of quality, reliability, compatibility, ease of use, etc.

How is Plex bad for local play? How can Infuse direct play better than Plex? Directly playing media without transcoding should be the same either way.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's not

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

UI, format compatibility, and in my experience, reliability with large high-bitrate files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
This thing doesn't even do music?

• Locked thread