Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Do the amiibo only come in a 2 pack? I want the Metroid but not Samus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Do the amiibo only come in a 2 pack? I want the Metroid but not Samus.

Yes, they only come in the two pack.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mr President posted:

I dont understand what scan pulse is and how it works

Press A and it fills in a bit of the map around you. That's it.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Mr President posted:

I dont understand what scan pulse is and how it works

If you press the A button when it's equipped via the D-Pad, Samus will emit a pulse of energy that reveals part of the map (shown on the bottom screen) in a radius around you. It'll reveal the shapes of rooms on the map, if there's any items there, and when you use the scan pulse, all destroyable blocks will be highlighted on the main screen for a short while. The scan pulse uses a little bit of your aeon energy (the yellow bar under your health and missile count on the bottom screen), and you collect more aeon from melee countering and generally just murdering the hell out of enemies.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

HenryEx posted:

kbm stuff

You're my hero. Just bought myself two more months of games.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know the less we mention it the better, but I spent too much time on this not to post it now that we have a Metroid thread :shepicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCCibFueyLE

"How to Ruin a Character: A Primer"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I need some help in Area 2. I delivered the six Metroid DNA samples I could find to the altar, and it pointed me to the direction of the 7th Metroid. However, I only reached its shell, and the direction I need to progress involves bombs only breakable by bombs. However, there's fans that suck up bombs immediately below the line of blocks, and the slime on the walls that keeps you from spider balling up along the side over the fans.

Can anyone help me out?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

axeil posted:

I'm finally internet famous :v:

It's so much better than the original though. I wrote a review on the ROM hack page of the stuff I liked/didn't like about the changes.

I've also got the full maps and stuff like that. If people want I can post them itt.

This was a good writeup! I might be metroid-ed out for a bit after I finish AM2R and go through Samus Returns, but I'll definitely take a look at redesigned cause it sounds real good from that writeup.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I need some help in Area 2. I delivered the six Metroid DNA samples I could find to the altar, and it pointed me to the direction of the 7th Metroid. However, I only reached its shell, and the direction I need to progress involves bombs only breakable by bombs. However, there's fans that suck up bombs immediately below the line of blocks, and the slime on the walls that keeps you from spider balling up along the side over the fans.

Can anyone help me out?

Explore the area some more, there's a powerup you missed.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

Explore the area some more, there's a powerup you missed.

Can you help me figure out what that is? I have the Wave Beam, Lightning Armor, and Varia Suit...

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Can you help me figure out what that is? I have the Wave Beam, Lightning Armor, and Varia Suit...

Did you get the high jump boots?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

TFRazorsaw posted:

You're mistaken - the block you're trying to break is vulnerable to missiles, if I'm not mistaken. if you have hijump this should be trivial.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

WilliamAnderson posted:

Did you get the high jump boots?

No.

where do I find them?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

You're mistaken - the block you're trying to break is vulnerable to missiles, if I'm not mistaken. if you have hijump this should be trivial.

Iiiii don't think we're thinking of the same place.

Those are the bomb blocks. Missile blocks are red.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So how's the game?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I wish there was a way to disable or unique the scan pulse. I already accidentally hit it once when I went to melee. Thankfully I had already mapped everything that it tried to reveal.

Hopefully the second ability comes soon so I can just set that as the A button function.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

TFRazorsaw posted:

Do you have the Spring Ball yet?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No, I don't.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I'm not liking the free aim

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

after beating 3 or 4 metroids so far I'm enjoying this, I was surprised they give you Ice Beam so quickly....usually it's a midgame or endgame thing. The free aiming is a great addition, but the most radical change has to be the combat. It was always the weakest part of all the 2D metroid games but now enemies are aggressive and WILL come after you for blood. You need to actually take note of enemies now and they managed to make combat a thing that makes sense with the parry.

AdmiralViscen posted:

I wish there was a way to disable or unique the scan pulse. I already accidentally hit it once when I went to melee. Thankfully I had already mapped everything that it tried to reveal.

Hopefully the second ability comes soon so I can just set that as the A button function.

I loving hate it and also cannot wait to remap it to something else. Scan pulse screams "easy mode" to me and feels like it would completely ruin the game if I used it all the time. I have no idea why something like that is in a Metroid game; even with Super Metroid's scan visor you at least had to know WHERE to look and it took time. This thing just flat out reveals way too much.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm gonna be honest; I've always felt that the series' way of hiding paths and making it so even essential areas of the map require tons of testing every weapon against every kind of block has been to the series detriment. It's not really intuitive at all, and if anything it's kept the series too niche. The scan pulse is a god send, as far as I'm concerned.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm gonna be honest; I've always felt that the series' way of hiding paths and making it so even essential areas of the map require tons of testing every weapon against every kind of block has been to the series detriment. It's not really intuitive at all, and if anything it's kept the series too niche. The scan pulse is a god send, as far as I'm concerned.

I can respect that, given that I once wasted hours in Super Metroid not realizing I could power bomb through that one glass tube to make progress

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lessail posted:

I'm not liking the free aim
When they said free aim I didn't know if they meant there was an effective method to free aim while moving, and there's not. Basically you have to choose between moving or hitting anything ever. Super Metroid's L1/R1 to hold the aim diagonally would have been better in that regard.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

DLC Inc posted:

I loving hate it and also cannot wait to remap it to something else. Scan pulse screams "easy mode" to me and feels like it would completely ruin the game if I used it all the time. I have no idea why something like that is in a Metroid game; even with Super Metroid's scan visor you at least had to know WHERE to look and it took time. This thing just flat out reveals way too much.

Yeah the scan pulse is poo poo and I guess it's in lieu of map stations or whatever but I'm not a fan of it at all

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do you ever get a tool that uses the same energy the scan pulse does but does something more useful?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do you ever get a tool that uses the same energy the scan pulse does but does something more useful?

One for each direction of the D-Pad. And yes, more useful too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Veotax posted:

One for each direction of the D-Pad. And yes, more useful too.
So useful that you'll want to use all your energy on them and forgo scan pulsing?

edit: I'm kind of surprised spider ball doesn't consume energy.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 16, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, the rest are combat/traversal tools. They're all in the trailers: rapidfire, slowing time, and a damage barrier.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

TFRazorsaw posted:

I agree with this.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

But seriously, I still need help here.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

TFRazorsaw posted:

you need the spring ball it's located in a hole at the top of the dam in the middle of area 2

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

TFRazorsaw posted:

You need the spring ball. You get it by killing Arachnus near the top of Area 2.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

you need the spring ball, so you need to go back, go exploring the huge cavern with the big ruins in it..

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hrm. Okay, I'll try and see what I can find. Thanks.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Yowza. Area 3 was always massive, even in the origional game, but it feels like they made it even larger. I feel like I might be missing something. Still got five more metroids to hunt down though, so we'll see.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I just found the final metroid in Area 3 myself, but I feel like I didn't find enough upgrades in there... Pretty sure the only upgrade I located was the Grapple Beam.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

XavierGenisi posted:

If you press the A button when it's equipped via the D-Pad, Samus will emit a pulse of energy that reveals part of the map (shown on the bottom screen) in a radius around you. It'll reveal the shapes of rooms on the map, if there's any items there, and when you use the scan pulse, all destroyable blocks will be highlighted on the main screen for a short while. The scan pulse uses a little bit of your aeon energy (the yellow bar under your health and missile count on the bottom screen), and you collect more aeon from melee countering and generally just murdering the hell out of enemies.

It's really good but jesus christ I hate the noise it makes

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I can't tell if I'm supposed to do this but I made it up some high up areas early in area 1 by spamming bomb jump

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

nachos posted:

I can't tell if I'm supposed to do this but I made it up some high up areas early in area 1 by spamming bomb jump

If you can do it, then it is permitted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kinda sucks that the game uses Fusion-style wall jumping. It also seems to just not work in certain places for no reason.
I still managed to find a small sequence break already! Used bomb jumping after finding the second teleport station to get up to a high cliff and get Spider Ball a bit early.

The game definitely feels a lot more stop-and-go than other 2D Metroids. Enemies have a lot of health to encourage you to use counterattacks. Bats in the first area can even eat a missile and keep going. The game seems to be going for more of a "2D Prime" feel.

The music and atmosphere are absolutely on point so far. It retains the alien feel of Metroid 2 but with much more lively compositions.

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 16, 2017

• Locked thread