Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Okay, I finally cleared Area 2. Thanks for your help everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wow the Metroids seem a bit tougher this time around. The first couple in the Game Boy version only took like five missiles to kill.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Raxivace posted:

Wow the Metroids seem a bit tougher this time around. The first couple in the Game Boy version only took like five missiles to kill.
Yeah the third or so Alpha just kicked my rear end over and over again. Well, part of it was that when it's glowing it can't be countered, when I initially saw that as a sign that it COULD be countered.

...that IS the case, right? It's not just some weirdness to the timing that I am not understanding?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If it does that quick little flash of light it can be countered. If it charges energy around itself, it can't.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TFRazorsaw posted:

If it does that quick little flash of light it can be countered. If it charges energy around itself, it can't.
Okay, that's what I thought. It's still tricky though because their charge after the flash is so much slower than other enemies.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

are you using the charged ice beam on it? doing that disables its electrical attack, in my experience.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Also I want to add the the ritualistic altar you offer the Metroid blood to as a sacrifice is way more sensible than the loving random earthquake nonsense in the original.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

pretty much mainlined the game for 7 hours today so I'm taking a well earned break until after work tomorrow. Wish this game had a few more non-Metroid bosses because the ones that are there are extremely cool and fun to learn.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WilliamAnderson posted:

Yes, they only come in the two pack.

RIP to me then.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
I am enjoying this game so far. in area 2? the one that you need to kill 8 metroids. my biggest complaint is how heavy and slow the morph ball is. maybe I wouldn't think that if AM2R didn't make it so fast and snappy, but doing anything with the morph ball feels like a chore.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It seems that they've revised Zero Suit Samus's design a bit in this game. She's taller, has broader shoulders, and has more defined muscles. So basically she actually fits in the Power Suit now instead of somehow losing like 2 feet when she takes it off.

EDIT: here a picture

Augus fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 16, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Augus posted:

It seems that they've revised Zero Suit Samus's design a bit in this game. She's taller, has broader shoulders, and has more defined muscles. So basically she actually fits in the Power Suit now instead of somehow losing like 2 feet when she takes it off.
I didn't think it was actually her body of that shape fitting into the suit. After all, we know the technology can change the shape of the suit and its contents at will, i.e. morph ball. Also that hilarious log entry from Prime 1 about how the space pirates failed to recreate it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Raxivace posted:

Also I want to add the the ritualistic altar you offer the Metroid blood to as a sacrifice is way more sensible than the loving random earthquake nonsense in the original.

Didn't the Chozo make the Metroids though? Why are there blood altars for metroids here

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Raxivace posted:

I like the random earthquakes better. It was mysterious and poo poo

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ventana posted:

Didn't the Chozo make the Metroids though? Why are there blood altars for metroids here
Actual in game answer:

The monuments are there to make sure all the metroids in an area are dead because they seal the stronger metroids below, you can find memory fragments that show the Chozo clogging up the planet with acid so the omegas/the queen don't get out/

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Something neat I found out, if you go back to the weird Metroid blood altar thing before wiping out all the Metroids in an area, it will take the DNA you've collected and then put a marker on your map showing you where to go for the next Metroid. It only takes you to where the Metroid left its skin when it evolved though, you still need to search the area for where it went.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

I'm finally internet famous :v:

It's so much better than the original though. I wrote a review on the ROM hack page of the stuff I liked/didn't like about the changes.

I've also got the full maps and stuff like that. If people want I can post them itt.

As promised, here's the full map.

I found it helpful when playing to actually mark the map as I went since it's pretty easy to lose track of stuff.

Bonus:

hope you enjoy fighting Phantoon in a closet :v:

proof i can still infinite bomb jump:

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 16, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zaggitz posted:

Actual in game answer:

The monuments are there to make sure all the metroids in an area are dead because they seal the stronger metroids below, you can find memory fragments that show the Chozo clogging up the planet with acid so the omegas/the queen don't get out/

Okay that's a pretty good reason. Still need to finish AM2r first but I'm glad to see there's cool lore to find in Samus Returns as well

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Gah I can't believe I have to wait till Sunday to play this.

In the meantime I'm trying to watch some of the Super Metroid Item Randomizer Tournament. Has anyone been watching it? Any good matches?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is it just me or are there screens that if you want to leave from you have to die?

Like I was exploring in Area 2 a bit, and found an elevator. I went down, found some rooms I couldn't progress through, and when I tried to leave I straight up could not figure out how to get back to this platform with the elevator. I couldn't spider ball up it since there was goop on the ceiling, and there was a collapsable platform that I couldn't quite jump onto and if I tried dropping onto it from a clean spot on the ceiling it just collapsed under the morph ball.

I eventually had to die in a nearby lava room, which spawned me back on that elevator platform anyways. It's kind of weird that I couldn't just jump back up there.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The game expects you to have a certain item by that point, but if you find the Varia suit in that section you can reach a teleporter station, go back, and find the Highjump Boots that makes jumping heights like that trivial.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Spazer Beam is a necessary progression item!? Holy smokes that is strange.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Raxivace posted:

Is it just me or are there screens that if you want to leave from you have to die?

Like I was exploring in Area 2 a bit, and found an elevator. I went down, found some rooms I couldn't progress through, and when I tried to leave I straight up could not figure out how to get back to this platform with the elevator. I couldn't spider ball up it since there was goop on the ceiling, and there was a collapsable platform that I couldn't quite jump onto and if I tried dropping onto it from a clean spot on the ceiling it just collapsed under the morph ball.

I eventually had to die in a nearby lava room, which spawned me back on that elevator platform anyways. It's kind of weird that I couldn't just jump back up there.

It expects you to start exploring that area, starting with getting the varia suit. If the game throws you in an area you can't immediately backtrack out of, you gotta go explore that area you're in.

I know some folks here poo poo on it making exploration easier, but really: use the map pulse. Yeah it reveals map squares, but it also reveals nearby blocks you can interact with while it's active. If you find yourself stuck, and looking at a spot where you feel that you really SHOULD be able to go forward but can't figure it out, just use the drat map pulse.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

so far i'm enjoying samus returns a lot more than i thought i would-- though to be clear that's more a "all recent metroids have been bad" and "i don't trust mercury stream" thing than thinking i wouldn't enjoy metroid in general

i farted around with AM2R when it came out but didn't stick with it because i found fighting metroids to be a massive pain. metroids here hit like a truck but imo are more manageable to hit so that's a big plus.

as someone who never clicked with the prime games i'm extremely glad to have an enjoyable 2D metroid again. it's been 13 years since zero mission!!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I am a idiot and cannot figure out this stupid fan thing that keeps eating my bombs :(

I'm also stupid in the regard that I keep activating scan pulse on accident. Like something in my brain just registers it as the jump/shoot button sometimes and I'll just rapid click it only to realize what I'm doing after I get punched in the face.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I am a idiot and cannot figure out this stupid fan thing that keeps eating my bombs :(

These are 75% of the time meant to keep you from entering via the exit. They basically mean "this is where the puzzle ends". The other 25%, they're part of the puzzle itself, but the same idea of "find a way around" generally applies. You don't need to time your bombs or something for them, they're just meant to make you try a different tactic.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Usually you can go around or bust up some blocks in the vicinity to make an easier path. I haven't seen one that would require you to time the bombs yet.

e:f,b

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm enjoying this game but I feel like the parry move kinda makes you fight almost everything the same, and the enemy pool is pretty drat small. in area 3 I feel like I'm basically still fighting the same enemies

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

IronicDongz posted:

I'm enjoying this game but I feel like the parry move kinda makes you fight almost everything the same, and the enemy pool is pretty drat small. in area 3 I feel like I'm basically still fighting the same enemies

Once you get the spazer in area 4 you can start dealing with most enemies without parrying them, this gets even easier once you get the plasma beam. I pretty much only use it for metroids now unless i need to full up my aieon bar.

As for the small enemy pool, you can blame that on og metroid 2 I guess.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I think the parry mechanic has done a good job making the small variety of enemies more fun to deal with at least. As remakes go its a creative way to compensate for a very old/hardware limited design

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Even in area 1 I was often using missiles on random enemies to get them out of my hair without waiting for them to attack. It helps that they're easy to replenish now, every missile powerup restores 5. Power/wave beam still seems sorta underpowered, but shooting through walls is good for weird enemy setups and guys with a vulnerable underside. And I've yet to encounter a normal enemy that wouldn't shatter to ice beam into a single missile.

Parry is still pretty good, but sometimes I almost forget it's there.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
Are there not any map stations in this game a la Super and Prime? I'm also trying to avoid using the scan function to make exploration more interesting, but it seems to be the only way to show areas on your map you haven't visited yet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Scan is there because there's no map stations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zaggitz posted:

As for the small enemy pool, you can blame that on og metroid 2 I guess.

To be fair, that didn't stop AM2R from having good enemy variety, which is just as good as it was in Super/Fusion/ZM.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Holy poo poo, I just figured out that the game automatically fires the Grapple Beam when you free-aim at something that you need to grapple. Practically never need to actually switch to the beam now.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

For anyone having trouble figuring out to do with the long double rows of spikes with no grapple points at the end of them. There's a late game mechanic the game doesn't tell you.

use a power bomb while in spider ball to slingshot yourself through the narrow gap between the spikes.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Glad to see y'all are enjoying Samus Returns, I should have mine early next week if the postal service isn't incompetent. In the meantime, I spent most of last evening playing through a cute little free indie game that might be up your alley.

It's Buntroid! Like Metroid, but with a cute bunny. It doesn't really do anything "new" as far as powerups are concerned, but it's a solid take on the Metroid formula and a good time. Also it's really easy to infinite bomb jump in it, and there's a mechanic where holding a direction after a bomb blast will rocket you forward in ball form. Pretty cool stuff, I cleared it in about 2 1/2 hours but you could do it faster.

So, check that out in between your hunts for Alphas and Betas and all that!

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
every gamma metroid i fought has kicked my rear end so far.

for those who don't know, the little electric balls the metroids drop can be shot for ammo/health refills. i only just found this out and i'm in area 3.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Metroixer posted:

every gamma metroid i fought has kicked my rear end so far.

for those who don't know, the little electric balls the metroids drop can be shot for ammo/health refills. i only just found this out and i'm in area 3.

that feeling when you hit the charged ice beam on a gamma and it falls to the ground for a melee counter. oh baby.

I doubled back to get all the stuff I could currently get and now I'm fighting Omega Metroids with a stacked arsenal and its extremely sick.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I just tried Samus Returns. It took a while to get the bombs back.

But, you know? That long vertical shaft with the insta-crumbling ledges that you fall down to get to the bomb power-up? It felt sooooo good to bomb-jump that shaft back up and say "screw you" to progression for a while. You have no idea how glad i am that infinite bomb jumping is in! :woop: And the pseudo screw attack, even if it doesn't work on many enemies.

Metroid is back!

edit: OTOH, arbitrarily deactivating your wall jump in narrow 1 block shafts so you can't easily wall jump up them is weak. Real weak. :colbert:

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 16, 2017

• Locked thread