Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Durandal1707 posted:

Are the Colts the best team in the AFCS even with a healthy Luck? Because honestly looking at their roster as a whole, I don't think they're better than Tennessee outside of a handful of players. The Texans' o-line sucks out loud but their defense is very good.

No but they would at least be watchable.

People wanting them to get the number 1 pick to take a QB are loving insane for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

No but they would at least be watchable.

People wanting them to get the number 1 pick to take a QB are loving insane for that reason.

I agree on the latter part. Luck is a flawed QB but he carried some pretty lame rosters before he started getting hurt, so he's undoubtedly a very good QB. I don't think the Colts are going to be bad enough at the end to end up with the #1 pick, but if they end up with a top 5-ish one, they should trade down for a boatload of other draft picks. Fire Pagano, bring in a new coaching staff and bone up on some linemen in the draft, and I could see some decent things happening for them as soon as next year.

EDIT: but regardless, they really need Pagano gone after this year.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Durandal1707 posted:

I agree on the latter part. Luck is a flawed QB but he carried some pretty lame rosters before he started getting hurt, so he's undoubtedly a very good QB. I don't think the Colts are going to be bad enough at the end to end up with the #1 pick, but if they end up with a top 5-ish one, they should trade down for a boatload of other draft picks. Fire Pagano, bring in a new coaching staff and bone up on some linemen in the draft, and I could see some decent things happening for them as soon as next year.

EDIT: but regardless, they really need Pagano gone after this year.

Well hopefully the Browns will pick up Pagano. Seems fitting.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well hopefully the Browns will pick up Pagano. Seems fitting.

A Pagano/Grigson reunion? :getin:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

So let's get a cursory list of HC candidates...

Coordinators
Teryl Austin
Dave Toub
Matt Patricia
Mike Vrabel
Jim Bob Cooter

Retreads
Josh McDaniels
Todd Haley
Scott Linehan
Jim Schwartz
Mike McCoy
Sean Payton

lol
Jon Gruden

I'd take Haley or McCoy.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
You take Cooter and run

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
fire John fox, hire Dave toub

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

Coordinators
Teryl Austin
Dave Toub
Matt Patricia
Mike Vrabel
Jim Bob Cooter

Retreads
Josh McDaniels
Todd Haley
Scott Linehan
Jim Schwartz
Mike McCoy
Sean Payton

lol
Jon Gruden

I'd take Haley or McCoy.

We have this......mike shula

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If someone could take a slightly used Dom Capers off us, it'd be great.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Tom Cable is ready to revive his HC career

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

EmbryoSteve posted:

Tom Cable is ready to revive his HC career

How about Bevell too? I havent heard complaints about him yet this year

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Jim Schwartz would be worth a try, I think. The man knows defense inside and out, and his Lions tenure was more mediocre than anything.
Of course, he could be a modern Wade, but it's too early to tell.
Also, didn't the Seahawks current DC interview for a few jobs last off-season. Kris Richard, IIRC? Both of his predecessors got head coaching jobs and one of them seems to be good.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'd take Haley or McCoy.

Lol

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
McCoy is a good OC who has absolutely no business being an NFL HC again.

Haley might be worth a shot again. I mean, he wasn't great with the Chiefs but those teams weren't super talented and he had a pretty toxic relationship with Scott Pioli, so that was always going to end badly. But it's been six years since, he's done excellent work as an OC.. he's worth another look. Of course, i've heard that he might not want to leave Pittsburgh anyway, so who knows.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Did someone say Todd Haley?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Titans haven't reliably beaten the Texans and Colts in a decade so I remain weary and ready to post "welp, same old Titans" until I see different.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Durandal1707 posted:

Haley might be worth a shot again. I mean, he wasn't great with the Chiefs but those teams weren't super talented and he had a pretty toxic relationship with Scott Pioli

That last bit's an understatement. I'd cheer for Haley if he got another chance (well, depending on where that chance was I guess), even though he was part of the darkest Chiefs times since the '80s.

I think he'd probably be hard to pry away though unless someone really wants to throw a bunch of money at him. His dream job is HC of the Steelers, which is isn't. But he's the closest thing to it that will be available for the next decade since they just don't fire head coaches in Pittsburgh.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I like what Cooter's done with the Lions offense (Though it's hard not to after what Joe Lombardi did to it), but I think he's still way too raw to be a good NFL head coach. He's only been an OC for a season and a half, and was only a QB Coach and assistant for a few years before that. I do think that in a couple years or so he could be a good potential candidate, but until then I'd consider him a major reach and pretty likely to flame out.

As to Teryl Austin, I'd like to joke that he's terrible and should stay with the Lions forever so nobody could steal him, but honestly the dude deserves a real shot. Man's been spinning poo poo into... if not gold, then bronze for a couple of years now, and he could almost certainly be a real success if given the chance-and if the Lions do the unthinkable and have an actual playoff run, there's a good chance he will be.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Come home Jim Bob

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

got any sevens posted:

Russell Wilson, of all people, was practically ragging on the offensive playcalling after the Green Bay game

As dumb as this might sound, Vic Fangio would be a really good head coach and it's a shame he's relegated to being the Bears defensive coordinator. Bears please hire Dave Toub and give Vic Fangio an extension.

Emanuel Collective fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 21, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Come home Jim Bob

he'll never go to the state that arrested him for drunkenly climbing into the wrong girl's bed.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Nobody get your hopes up for their team hiring Dave Toub because he is going to be the next HC of the Colts, sorry.

Pagano's not going to be fired during the year because the reasons for doing a mid-season coach firing are irrelevant to Ballard. As far as Luck playing this year, Ballard is only going to let him play if he's 110% healthy and the team has a shot at the playoffs.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Honestly surprised Ballard didn't hire him right away, but maybe he saw how Luck was doing medically and didn't want him to have to start off with a hopeless season.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Honestly surprised Ballard didn't hire him right away, but maybe he saw how Luck was doing medically and didn't want him to have to start off with a hopeless season.

I think it was a combination of "Pagano's still under contract, let's give him a shot to see if Grigson really was the problem all along" and "no sense getting a new coach in when Luck was always going to miss the whole offseason anyway." Now as it turns out Pagano is doing his damndest to prove that he was as much to blame as Grigson for the failures of the past five years, so you can cut him at the end of the season without any of that stupid #ChuckStay nonsense from last year, and greet your new coach with a shiny healthy Andrew Luck and a top 10 draft pick (or trade bounty equivalent).

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

the most important quality in a head coach is they need to be an alpha dog and pack leader

dont worry about was this guy or that guy a good coordinator

hire an alpha

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Ehud posted:

the most important quality in a head coach is they need to be an alpha dog and pack leader

hire an alpha

A schiano man if you will

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
^^gently caress

Ehud posted:

hire an alpha

You could almost say they need to be a certain kind of man

A Schiano man

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Ehud posted:

hire an alpha

Sounds like a job for the most alpha man of them all. One that doesn't speak to the media and believes in "sports science". Only surrounds himself with biggest CBs and knows he doesn't need the most talent, cause his leadership and plans will make the NFL quake with fear. The true alpha male. That man is "Wild Ride" Chip Kelly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Coordinators
Teryl Austin
Dave Toub
Matt Patricia
Mike Vrabel
Jim Bob Cooter

Retreads
Josh McDaniels
Todd Haley
Scott Linehan
Jim Schwartz
Mike McCoy
Sean Payton

lol
Jon Gruden

I'd take Haley or McCoy.
Haley or Payton.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Would have loved to see Payton coach Luck, but not if he's going to want all sorts of crazy personnel control.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

pubic works project posted:

Would have loved to see Payton coach Luck, but not if he's going to want all sorts of crazy personnel control.

Hey now, maybe he could finally find a good DC. Somebody with a strong history of defensive playcalling, who couldn't quite hack it as a head coach but who knows the Indy market well and has firsthand experience with a bunch of guys on the roster.

Payton/Pagano, the winning combination for Indy's future!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

got any sevens posted:

After 2014 I came to the conclusion that Bevell is a perfectly fine OC and Cable is the real problem. I don't want to lose him.

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014
Stay the gently caress away from Austin and Cooter. The lions deserve some happiness for a while

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

curiosity hosed me up posted:

Stay the gently caress away from Austin and Cooter. The lions deserve some happiness for a while

Don't worry I will temporarily imprison them both and forge their refusal letters to any team that wants to hire them away.

Sotar fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 21, 2017

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Jim Harbaugh is going to win the national championship at Michigan and then he's coming HOME to coach for his old NFL team Indianapolis and coach his old QB Andrew Luck and they'll win lots of superbowls.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Jets haven't hired an offensive minded head coach since Rick Kotite in 1995. This probably isn't surprising to anyone who has watched the team in the past 20 years.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Is Scott Linehan a serious candidate this year? Looking back he got a pretty raw deal while he was coaching the Rams and probably deserved another year or 2 and a better GM.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

Is Scott Linehan a serious candidate this year? Looking back he got a pretty raw deal while he was coaching the Rams and probably deserved another year or 2 and a better GM.

I think Linehan is happy and best served as a coordinator.

Besides being a cowboys assistant is probably a better gig than being the head coach of the jets or bears.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Emanuel Collective posted:

Bears please hire Dave Toub and give Vic Fangio an extension.

After the way they kept loving him around there's no way Toub ever sets foot in Halas Hall again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

ShakeZula posted:

Hey now, maybe he could finally find a good DC. Somebody with a strong history of defensive playcalling, who couldn't quite hack it as a head coach but who knows the Indy market well and has firsthand experience with a bunch of guys on the roster.

Payton/Pagano, the winning combination for Indy's future!

My bad, I was half asleep when I wrote this. I meant whatever crazy control Payton has in NO, I don't want him to have that in Indy. Ballard needs to run the show and draft with Payton's suggestions. And I'd be cool with Pagano as DC if he can unfuck whatever is wrong with his cancer brain.

Edit: But my dream is for Harbaugh to leave UM and come to Indy.

• Locked thread