Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

I mean there is a significant difference between a neurosurgeon and a neurologist. He doesn't need to know how it works (which is apparently actually the case), just how to cut. His whole career just consisted of cutting poo poo out of brains. If one really cared, you could probably do a real deep dive into his cases and discover that he is mostly just a charlatan with good fine motor skills.

Neurosurgery is maybe the hardest, longest medical path and basically only the smartest/most insane students get into that residency. it's four years of med school plus 7 years of residency PLUS 2-3 years of specializing. There's a ton of overlap between neurology and neurosurgery, but neurology in a lot of ways is closer to psychiatry.

To put another way, a neuro surgeon learns a lot more about neurology than a neurologist learns about neuro surgery.

Georgia tech and emory do this duel ME/MD program. I met the guy when I shadowed at Emory. He got his undergrad from somewhere, got his masters in electrical engineering from tech, went to med school at emory, and was just starting his neuro residency. loving nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

like cardio surgery is the only thing comparable as far as how loving insane the training is. it's also the coolest drat thing ive ever seen in my life.

i got to watch a bunch of doctors get rid of a heart blockage. basically they run a cath up the femoral artery to the heart and blast dye into it. on the wall is a screen, and the patient is under an x ray machine. when they squirt the dye, the xray machine fires like 10 times a second, so you get to see all the arteries and veins of the heart illuminated for a brief second before the dye is worked out.

then they quickly find the blockage, tell the person (who's just sedated) that they found the blockage and they're just going in to get it real fast.

it was the most amazing thing i'd ever seen and i wish an 18 year old me had gotten the opportunity because it would have no poo poo inspired me.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh yeah i was just telling an inspiring story in my life.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

who does interventional radiology because that poo poo is magic

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Man things worked out well.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

poo poo tie.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think McDermott should count for being under Rivera.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh god

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

reminder that Shula had to have the no huddle explained to him by Cam.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Two people have been too conservative for Alabama.

One is Mike Shula. The other is a pedophile.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

John fox is the king of getting a lot out of a bad roster.

He’s also the king of getting less out of a better roster.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Spring Break My Heart posted:

He got a lot out of Denver and I'd hesitate to consider any of the Panthers teams he had to be stacked

Good lord dude the panthers were loving stacked from 2002-2006 ish

That’s to say nothing of the 2008 playoffs....

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

2008 should have been a much better year before 2015 you could probably argue it's the best team Carolina has ever fielded. Delhomme meltdown :(

Oh no not even close.

Yeah the Panthers had a fun RB duo in 08, but the defense was smoke and mirrors. Also Jake Delhomme had already melted down twice during the season to the two worst teams in the nfl that year.

Best team pound for pound was 2003. Just better across the board.

No one really remembers just how good Dan Morgan was.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Durandal1707 posted:

Morgan was that really good MLB before he started racking up a ton of concussions, right? I remember that Panther front 7 used to get attention because Peppers, Kris Jenkins and Mike Rucker were all really good that season.

Yeah. Brentson Buckner was really good, and Will Witherspoon was on that line as well.

They also had two really good safeties with Minter and Grant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

03 was a hell of a team but you're kind of selling the 08 defense a little short.

Kemoeatu was still a fat tub of poo poo but was good occupying space and Peppers had 14.5 sacks that year.

The corner back trio of Gamble, Lucas and Marshall was solid af too. Beason and Davis were in full flight at the time too.

Still had gross, Kalil and Wharton on the line at that point.

It was a down year overall for the NFL though.

Sure but compare it to 2003.

Peppers only had 7 sacks because that was the year teams were triple teaming him, Rucker had 12, and those two weren't even the best players on the dline; that was jenkins, who the panthers had nothing like in 2008. More important, that was back when Peppers still played every down, so he was a terror on the defensive line even if he wasn't getting to the qb.

Lucas was not a good corner that year, he was clearly over the hill. He never recovered from Smith breaking his nosejob. In fact, he was falling apart all year, and Fox's insistence on keeping him and Gamble on their respective sides of the field is what led to Larry Fitzgerald having 400 yards receiving or whatever it was. I always tell people the Panthers would have lost that game with or without Jake Delhomme, because Fox wasn't going to do anything about Fitzgerald. Or bench Lucas.

Compared to 2003, yeah the Panthers had relatively no name guys, but it was a different game back then. They could press and play defense (unless it was the 2 minute drill against Tom Brady, then it was PREVENT ALL THEW WAY). Plus that team also had ricky manning jr in the slot who was a terror before the rule changes ended his career.

As good as Beason was, he was not Morgan by any stretch of the imagination. And Thomas Davis wasn't Thomas Davis yet. He didn't hit his stride until like his 5th ACL surgery. Certainly not the difference maker between the two defenses.

Gross was on the 2003 team as well. That offensive line was really old, but it had good players on it. As a whole, they were a very good unit, and certainly not that far off from 2008. I mean I can remember who the other tackle was in 2003; I couldn't remember Jeff Otah until I looked it up (that fucker)

• Locked thread