Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I'd be okay with YA if more authors were as openly and unashamedly in it for the money as R. L. Stine is

R. L. Stine posted:

“I always hate when people go to a school and they talk to kids about writing and they say, ‘Write what you know, write your passion, write from your heart.’ That just means those kids will never write again,” Stine says. “Because what does that mean? That doesn’t mean anything! I’ve written over 330 books — not one of them came from my heart. Not one! They were all written for an audience, they were written to entertain. That’s one thing I want to get across. But the main thing is, I just want to say if you do these things, don’t listen to people who say that writing is hard work! It’s not hard work, don’t listen to them.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

"Lovecraft named a cat in one of his stories after his real life cat!" :allears:

"The cat's name is friend of the family-Man!" :magical:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

if only he'd had the good taste to not write any of it down

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Ccs posted:

a compelling reason as to why all of these critics are wasting their time

porfiria posted:

it has time traveling cyborgs and flying saucers and laserguns

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

fez_machine posted:

HMMMMMMMMMMM, I wonder why?

Edit:
poo poo I thought he was on the list signatories for the Vietnam war, but maybe it was before his time.

shocked to see renowned moral authority marion zimmer bradley on the "remain" list smdh

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

no seriously who are these people

:nms: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Zimmer_Bradley#Child_sex_abuse_allegations :nms:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Stuporstar posted:

Serious answer: he was a pulp-era hack who was grandfathered into the SF New Wave in the 60s because he wrote trippy poo poo with sex in it. Abstruse prose is not the same as "literary," particularly when it sounds like a 13 year old with no attention span trying to fill up his creative writing class notebook. Even Alfred Bester damned him with faint praise when he classified Farmer as an Idea Guy, not a good writer.

I can't read more of a paragraph of his awful prose before giving up, it's that aggravating trying to muddle through his incompetent, incomprehensible brain spew.

It's great when you're 18 and fresh off "The Illuminatus! Trilogy" but apart from that yeah pretty much

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And this is why critiquing Sci-Fi and Fantasy is so tiresome. When you treat the text how genre fans want it to be treated, they get all defensive because any non-laudatory comment is seen as reinforcing their own sense of inferiority. Criticism is a dissection of a work, and if you are not comfortable with seeing the guts of your favorite books, do not seek it.

See also: "video games as art"

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

honestly i probably wouldnt give a poo poo about rothfuss and think he was just another lame fantasy writer if it weren't for his unbelievably smug blog posts

isn't he also the one that was like "my editors are allowed to the story but not my prose because i have mastered the craft"?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

BananaNutkins posted:

Problem is, he doesnt like anything

no he just posts about stuff he doesn't like because it's more interesting (also he did like Gormenghast)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i'm begging you people to just read actual medieval literature instead of this poo poo

or poo poo even Herodotus' Histories reads like one of these fantasy doorstoppers except it actually happened (maybe)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

idk what translation that is but i have the robin waterfield one (oxford world classics) and it's a pretty breezy read honestly

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

The writing is definitely clunky in parts, and it suffers more than a little from leaning on the ubiquity of certain technologies that have since vanished (forget "tuned to a dead channel," there's a spine-chilling scene later on involving a row of payphones). The actual cause and effect of the plot is poorly conveyed and the ultimate mystery of the story is one that you cannot figure out from the evidence.

this is like saying Alien suffers because all the spaceships have old 70s-era computer interfaces in them

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

"Ready player one but good" already exists, it's called "zeroville"

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

obviously the pinnacle of 21st century serialized fiction is Homestuck

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

proto-goons then

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

i personally despise Content and think the best posters to probate are the ones who produce it consistently. that is cool, to me

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Worldbuilding as an end to itself without stories to populate it gave us No Man's Sky, a video game beloved by gamers everywhere

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Let's assemble the TBB canon:

Babyfucker
Gravity's Rainbow

uh,

Aquarium I guess.

Bear loving, as a general theme.

Lincoln in the Bardo also
e: doobie's doghouse menu

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 7, 2019

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

reminder that julia kristeva was a literal spy for the bulgarian KGB

cool!!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Mrenda posted:

Imagine thinking you need to have a villain in your story.

doesn't have to be a person, the villain in "the grapes of wrath" was capitalism for instance

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

good to see an adaptation improve on the source material for once

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Nabokov strikes me more as a BYOB day crew type

seems more GBS 1.0 to me

although he may also have been the BotL of his day: http://wmjas.wikidot.com/nabokov-s-recommendations

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

things like harry potter and star wars that were obviously made up as they went along are only made worse by their creators trying to pretend that they weren't after the fact and the fans that believe them.

like say what you will about doctor who but at least the people who make it had the balls to say "we don't give a poo poo about 'canon' and never have"

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

lofi posted:

He likes grinding, I guess.

e: https://www.litrpg.com/ :allears:

“It’s like Rick and Morty were the gods of Game of Thrones!”

LitRPG posted:

What is LitRPG you ask?

It is a genre of scifi and fantasy novels that make you feel like your playing a game while you read.

Specifically, it follows the two Commandments of LitRPG
1) A LITRPG SHALL involve some type of expliticitly stated progression (ie leveling, report of item finds, quests, etc)
2) A LITRPG SHALL involve a game-type world of some kind that the main character has been involved in

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 21, 2019

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Nerdburger_Jansen posted:

I read Borges' Library of Babel and he goes off explaining the geometrical structure of this weird loving series of stairwells, and I just groaned ugh worldbuilding.

Miss me with that poo poo. Unless a novel is set in New York I don't loving care. Why the gently caress would you 'build a world' when you got this one.

I would recommend "Jealousy" by Alain Robbe-Grillet

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

yeah as long as it serves the narrative the more historical facts you can weave in the merrier imo

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

is Edith Finch good bc its on sale on PSN rn

yes

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

man i was really into michael crichton books in middle school but uhhh im glad that one didnt exist yet lmao

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

I report anime in the YOSPOS sci-fi thread as kind of a hobby, like pruning a bonsai

lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Neurosis posted:

Thanks. I'll check out a couple of the essays - although I'm not sure about him being a 'luminary'; looking into it a bit it seems Gould had a garbage reputation among other academics in the field (I know academics get into turf wars all the time so some criticism being out there isn't surprising, but a few articles I scanned through seemed to suggest the negative opinion of Gould went far beyond ordinary academic cattiness). Nonetheless, his writing chops have been lauded frequently enough that something on an uncontroversial topic might be a pleasant read.

Edit: To be clear I think I must've had the controversy about Gould tickling in the back of my mind from reading about him years ago; I wouldn't normally go to such effort to undermine a recommendation made to me!

Back when "New Atheism" was in its heyday in like 2008 i distinctly remember Gould being considered one of the bad guys because Richard Dawkins criticized him in The God Delusion and elsewhere and it just kind of filtered on down from there. He also had the audacity to say that evolutionary psychology is bunk and race science is bad

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Wheeee posted:

, i think botl needs to be de-probed

No way, then we'd actually have some actual content in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

porfiria posted:

BOTL's big problem was that he wasn't very funny so all his shitposting just came off as weirdly aggressive and misanthropic.

that's Finns for you