Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
How much is this piece of poo poo going to cost me if I'm Verizon upgrade eligible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There is no lower price for buying these phones when you have an upgrade available?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

In the US nobody does upgrades anymore. its all payment plans.

That is horseshit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Uhhhhhhhh.....

I knew this poo poo wasn't dead.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

The lack of subsidization is kind of interesting. The raw, unfiltered $1000 buttfuck of actual phone pricing will be difficult for a lot of people, regardless of means.

The hardware of the phone costs probably like 70 bucks. It's really stunning that they think enough people will pay the grand.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

You also just get NOTHING for signing up for a 2 year contract anymore which is also ridiculous.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mahoning posted:

I mean, I'm not sure if anybody has explained this to you, I'm sure they have. So you know the only reason they were giving you like ~$200 off a phone for signing a 2-year contract was because they were baking that $200+ into the plans themselves? When I worked for Sprint like 8 or 10 years ago, an unlimited plan was $99 PER LINE. And that was with lovely 3G data. It was also the cheapest unlimited plan (actually the only unlimited plan for awhile) you could get. Now, you can get unlimited for 2 lines on Sprint for $99 TOTAL. That's how much plans have come down (let's just ignore all the throttling bullshit).

It's why I always laughed at these smug assholes that I tried to get to upgrade their phones that they'd had for 2 years already and they were all :smug: "I'm out of contract, why would I sign another 2-year agreement???" and all I could think was "Because you're paying for the phone anyways, why not at least get a NEW one." Especially since half those things were FREE back then.

Do you know how much wireless service costs in other countries? Cry me a river for these companies who are incurring virtually zero marginal cost in providing their overpriced lovely service. The idea that you think 1,200 dollars a year for loving zero marginal cost cell phone service is a good deal is mind boggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Theophany posted:

£20 p/m for 20GB data and no contractual minimum term. :smug:

That's expensive compared to Korea and Japan too...

• Locked thread