Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Boksi posted:

Of course the monkey would have a Chimchar :allears:

There's quite a bit of that in this game. Pokemon choices even for minor characters can have some serious meaning put behind them, and it'll be pretty nice once we get to said Warlords and Warriors to point it out. As it is, the only important one in this update is the one you point out: Hideyoshi was nicknamed "Monkey" by Nobunaga due to...well, not having the nicest face around, and Conquest follows that by giving him Chimchar.

Anyways, Conquest! This is a game I genuinely like but that has a lot of flaws that really needed fixing. Having a single move per Pokemon, for instance, gets rather annoying later on, and the game can get really slow as shown in the Ignis fight. But it's too early to talk about my issues with it, so for now I'll just happily follow the LP and add to it whenever I can.

Don't think I missed how you didn't give Oichi's historical information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

As I said in my previous post, there's logic in the choices for the unimportant Warriors. This update shows it well: not only are both Warlords joined by their children, grandchild and vassal, but the entire Mori clan uses and is most compatible with Grass types, same for the Chōsokabe and the Water-type.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We're the good guys.

The victors write the history books, after all.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Epicmissingno posted:

I noticed that Motochika's maximum link with Oshawott is 90%, even though it was claimed that it's his perfect link. Is that because its evolutions are the perfect link Pokemon? If that's the case, does the game tell you whether a Pokemon you recruit has an evolved form that's a perfect link when the base form isn't?

That's indeed the case, upon evolution they'll become Perfect Links. I don't think the game tells you though, but 90% is too high a Link for a random Pokemon, so you could guess.

Also this is just adorable.

Look at that grin!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I like how Tadakatsu's armour is based on a shiny Metagross. It's a good way to keep it silver like the rest of Valora while still referencing his Perfect Link.

Also here's a fun choice of the game: Mitsuhide's Specialty is Ice, while Hideyoshi's is Fire. As the update itself says, Hideyoshi was responsible for Mitsuhide's death. Of course he was, he had the type advantage. There's more to this but I don't think I can talk about it yet!

Also also gently caress Nixtorm forever, worst kingdom in the game.

My vote goes for Glaceon because I was going to go for one in my own run before I got bored and decided not to. Nixtorm is just too late in the game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

rannum posted:

Man there was a LOT of suicide and setting mansions on fire in this update, huh?

JapaneseHistory.txt right there. Lots of people kill themselves and make sure nothing remains behind once things go wrong.

You'd think all Warriors would be Fire/Steel.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Congratulations on finishing the fun part of Conquest, Crosspeice. Now, it's time for the repetitive and boring part!

I just dropped the game after doing a few of those so it'll be fun to watch you do them instead.

About the update proper, "Come, Rayquaza, black as night!" is the one line I can never forget about this game. It may be because it's ridiculously hammy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Verant posted:

With all of them having increasing amounts of painful mechanics designed to drive players up a wall, I'm guessing?

Nah. That'd mean they have variation.

They only have a few painful mechanics, repeated several times so they become even more tedious than they already were normally.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

And here we start the awful part of this game. This postgame is bad, bad, bad. You can see three of the reasons why it is bad right off the bat: it's repetitive, it resets your levels (though not your Pokemon, thankfully) and the loving Gabite guy. He can ruin runs and you'll never see him coming.

Let me repeat one point of the update:

quote:

Since we've used Hideaki before, all the Pokemon he linked with are still his, meaning we can use his Whirlipede right out the gate. So even if you see one of your favourites using a Pokemon you never gave them, don't fret, they have everything still, which makes life a lot easier as we recruit more and more people.

This is a gigantic deal for reasons Crosspeice has not mentioned and I, for obvious reasons, will not mention either. But this is the one thing the game is being nice to the player with and it makes several scenarios (well, all, but some specifically) much, much easier. Or at least, much faster, which considering the sheer tedium of this postgame, it's a big deal.

Beyond that, uhh...

quote:

Lady Chacha was the eldest daughter of Oichi and Nagamasa and became concubine and second husband to Hideyoshi

Is there anything you're not telling us about her here? And...

quote:

When a Chinese ship with Portuguese adventures were shipwrecked on the island of Tanegashima

While I'm sure they had their fair share of adventures, these are probably adventurers.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FoolyCharged posted:

So am I reading this right where the scenarios are all functionally just picking a start location/units? No special win conditions or anything?

Just pokemon total war but you have to win from every start location?

You aren't reading it right. The conditions for clearing each story vary (not on each story though, there's very few options that get repeated for several characters). Conquering all is one, there's others which we'll see in time, I'm sure.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kurieg posted:

This only further Cements Staraptor as the best of the route 1 birds.

No doubt. Thus, I have no choice but to vote for Muneshige from list 1. From list 2, I vote for Kai because Darmanitan is one of my favourite Pokemon and Ina just because.

Also yeah, evolving Warlords is a pain and another thing that would've needed a heavy overhaul for a second game, had it happened.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I completely agree with that method, mostly because the postgame is pretty repetitive and you're already too far in to stop, so you may as well make it as painless for yourself as possible. It'll be more entertaining to read too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wait, why does Psystrike point out it deals physical damage in a game where there's no split between Defense and Special Defense? Did they just copy the text from BW? Because that's the only explanation I can find.

Actually, how the hell is Mewtwo even in Feudal Japan? I guess that's just not something I should bother to ask...maybe Dialga brought it there or something, I dunno. Whatever.

These stories are super repetitive and I don't blame you for cheating that hard, Crosspeice. You're doing Arceus' work merely showing them to us.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The postgame is tedious as hell and you're a stronger man than me Crosspeice, because it made me quit the game very quickly.

Just one more to go. I've always been interested in that one, but I was not going to go through all the repetition to get to it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I find it amazing that you could get through that postgame. You are a stronger man than I am, Crosspeice, and great job conquering Ransei for the millionth time.

I definitely do want a Conquest sequel but, two console generations later, I don't think we'll ever get one. Sad, because I can think of a lot of fixes to its issues, and it definitely had a very good concept that was genuinely fun while it worked. Ranger and Mystery Dungeon also had weak starts and became really good games with their sequels, but Conquest didn't get the same treatment.

Oh well, the important thing is that you can now play a Pokemon game that did fix a lot of terrible stuff and became my absolute favourite for a while (until Black and White came out). Though you aren't picking Torchic so your LP is already terrible in my eyes.

Also, !pugulis. May want to fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kikas posted:

Now time for the LP of the mainline Pokemon I missed out on due to never having a GBA. Funnily enough it's my favourite part of the Adventure manga :v: Go with Nobunaga for the Mudkip, show the people it's possible for someone to plow through the entirety of Conquest!

No, no, he's playing Emerald. Everyone's favourite arc (me included!) is Ruby/Sapphire. Emerald is terrible (as an arc and as a character, as a game it's fantastic even if it's nearly unplayable for me now with the changes further generations brought in).

• Locked thread