Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if you love it put a egg on it

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

mcdonalds and hardees have the best biscuits though

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

this is a biscuit fyi

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Here's that Alaskan Salmon Benedict I was talking about. Got it this morning. :yum:

Would

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

scrubs season six posted:

I don't think I've ever made sausage gravy before but I'm gonna make some tonight.

The secret is to brown the roux (the secret to browning a roux is don't burn it)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Idk what the hell he just said but just brown the sausage, drain the grease/oil, then add milk and flour and salt and pepper until you like it. It's that easy.

No

Cook the sausage, then add the flour, turn down to medium/medium-low and let it cook, stirring regularly so it doesn't burn on the bottom, till it browns a bit, 10 mins or so. Then proceed

It's worth it

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Who What Now posted:

French toast is better than pancakes.

Definitely, and here's a french toast pro tip: get some decent bread and slice it so there's continuous crust around each piece- like if you've got a bigass boule or something don't cut it in half. Do the normal thing, eggs, cream, sugar, vanilla and a little salt and lemon zest if you're going all out, and soak them overnight (also make a bit more than usual). Preheat your oven to 350 and get the french toast started in your cast iron pan/griddle or if you don't have one of those (lmao) anything that can go from the stovetop to the oven without its handle burning off. After about 3 mins when there's a good seal on the bottom of each piece, ladel more of your egg custard mix into each slice of toast till they're full to the brim. If it's leaking like crazy out the bottom give them another minute and try again. Move it into the oven for 15 mins or so till the eggs fluff up a bit like a souffle and aren't jiggly in the middle. Serve them upside down w/ the sexy browned side facing up

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 14, 2017

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Garcin posted:

It's really hard to make bad biscuits and gravy.

tbh biscuits and gravy are kind of like grits in that if you just buy them from a random place you're likely to get frozen biscuits and rehydrated gravy powder and walk away thinking it's hot garbage and the south doesn't know poo poo about breakfast. which of course is nonsense

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the new gbs food meme is cool & good & i am loving stuffed, time to go back to sleep

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i cooked the sausage gravy in a cast iron pan w/ a wooden spoon in the tradition of my ancestors

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Seaniqua posted:

excellent

what kind of biscuits did you use?

given that this plan came together at the last possible moment it's grands and jimmy dean sausage from the nearest grocery store to my home

had to spice up the sausage obviously

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Coffee is awesome too.

I take mine with lots of cream and sugar, and idgaf when people who drink it black sneer at me.

Dunks Pumpkin coffee is incredible. If you get that with cream and sugar then you get to ride a caffeine / sugar double-high.

if i go full gay on my coffee i grind the beans w/ cardamom and then brew it w/ a sprinkle of cinnamon and cayenne

no sugar though, I'm not some kind of animal :gonk:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

patties are better than links because they pick up yolk better

e: also, make shakshuka

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 16, 2017

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ok I made some shakshuka for you gently caress men and it was delicious.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Bacon, tomato, and bread are all common breakfast foods so you're good here I think.

would have been no harm in putting an egg on it....

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Corned beef hash is the Pinnacle of human achievement when it comes to canned meat

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

went and got some fresh donuts :black101:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Yaws posted:

why the gently caress are eggs so hard to make properly?

"it's not you, it's me" -- a lying rear end egg that doesn't want you to feel bad

i just made gay gordon ramsey scrambled eggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Tumble posted:

Everybody that watches this video think it makes them qualified to cook eggs in this style, but I'd bet money that most of them end up just making snotty, gross eggs. Ramsey drops the nugget that "if you can make this it means you can cook" but that's a feel-good bit of information designed to make you feel good about your subpar cooking skills. Just being able to make creamy scrambled eggs does not mean you're a good cook, especially if you're inconsistent and your eggs come out boogery; that just means you're an idiot who thinks they can cook because you've watched a few videos on Youtube.

Knowing why the food cooks in the way it does and being able to consistently cook that way makes you a good cook. what's great about this video though, is that you can use some of the "knowledge" in it weed out the idiots whose main cooking knowledge comes exclusively from videos like this - like how Ramsey says you should never add salt to eggs before you cook them? yea that's bullshit, they won't get watery or tough because you added salt to them, the chemistry doesn't work that way; Ramsey is for sure a great chef, but he's wrong about that fairly basic bit of food chemistry so he's not a god.

I sound angry here but I'm really not, my point is that you should read all sorts of ways to cook things and try them all, because you eat a few meals a day so if you spend time learning and practicing your skills you can get pretty good pretty fast

(Oh and here is a bit of knowledge for you guys when it comes to cooking at home: warm up your plates! cold plates sap a TON of heat away from your food. putting your plates in the oven for a few minutes while you're cooking will improve things quite a bit for you, especially when serving eggs)

what i think this guy is saying is just LOL if you need a spatula to flip an over easy egg

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

How did it turn out? Did you do it with the toast and everything or just the eggs and a fork? Were they weird?

I ate it on a roll w/ a slice of tomato, some carmelized red onion and a little boom boom sauce, no chives

It was good but I mean of course it was good, I'm not some kind of amateur who can't cook scrambled eggs

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

An onion roll w/ boom sauce, thick slice of tomato, bacon, and 2 eggs scrambled w/ leftover roasted mushrooms and squash and some cheese :discourse:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

2 12 oz cups of coffee and a pear :effort:

Solice Kirsk posted:

I didn't know there was a breakfast thread! I'm assuming we've already reached the conclusion that corned beef hash, a side of any leftover vegetables cooked in butter, two slices of sourdough toast, two breakfast sausage links, two eggs sunny side up, a mug of coffee, and a small glass of orange juice to chug once you're done is the best breakfast ever?

Yes with the caveat that the perfect breakfast is extremely subjective and depends on the morning in question

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I have a fever dream of a Benedict topped w/ hardcore full cream she-crab soup w/ extra crabmeat and some scallops cooked in it but in practice I think it might come out too sweet as a hollandaise replacement

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe a thick slice of sharp cheddar underneath the soup and left to melt and get gooey would fix that.

I actually just threw together a test batch and it was delicious but the soup needs to be a lot thicker to sit up and look good

Next time I'll just sautee the scallops in butter then roux the scallop butter like I'm making scallop gravy (have those words ever been uttered together? I feel like I'm breaking new ground here) and then add straight shecrab soup. Should work, I reckon, unless combining two rouxes violates some kind of cosmic emulsion law (of which there are many)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Seaniqua posted:

This is the first I've heard of shecrab soup and it sounds incredible. Do you have a recipe you go off of?
Lightly brown a roux w/some bay leaves then add cream, crab base, magic blackened redfish seasoning and Sherry to taste.

Thats my lazyass roe-less restaurant style shecrab soup recipe. Traditionally it gets a lot of sherry and is then ladelled into bowls partially filled with warm sherry so you should get some real sherry not cooking sherry as cooking sherry is full of salt to deter you from drinking it and you'll never be able to add enough without ruining it

Also good luck finding crab base if you aren't friendly with a restauranteur who can order it from Sysco or something

E: oh and canned crabmeat

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 29, 2017

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Jose posted:

Hp sauce is insanely good and its a shame you can't get it in america

quote:

HP Sauce has a tomato base, blended with malt vinegar and spirit vinegar, Sugars(molasses, glucose-fructose syrup, sugar), dates, cornflour, rye flour, salt, spices and tamarind.
So it's British ketchup

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Seaniqua posted:

holy poo poo, my kind of soup

Don't let the spoon fool you, it's a crab gravy cocktail

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the black husserl posted:

you can make your own crab stock by pressure cooking a shitload of crab bodies, shells and roe with some herbs. takes 20 minutes and its cheap as gently caress since you just use the carcasses.

it's insanely, crazily better than that sysco poo poo. ugh.

I don't actually have a lot of crab carcasses at my fingertips tho

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

What? Crabs are probably the single most expensive seafood that you can find.

Expensive in time and effort and space

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's ok to eat whatever you ate for dinner for breakfast so long as you eat it cold or reheat it in a skillet with your eggs

Poach an egg in the stew is what I'm saying

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's also fun to say

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

afaik it has more to do with selling it as a grocery item in a grocery store without having to pay liquor tax or adhere to arcane local laws governing the sale of alcohol, kind of like denatured alcohol

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Once I bought a little bag of Chipotle's from Amazon and they sent me a whole case of them so now I'm set for life

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Jose posted:

what are peoples thoughts about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVgmI-YF16g

:regd08:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I had some coffee and a muffin hours ago but I'm feeling pretty hungry and might have to go for second breakfast

Borrowed Ladder posted:

All these breakfasts sound so intense for a workday. Evey M-F is a shaker cup with almond milk, protein powder, pb powder, Greek yog, maca powder and chia seeds and has been for about seven years.

Artisinal soylent

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Alright I did it:

Eggs scrambled w/ leftover roasted mushrooms, on a bed of spinach sauteed w/ a little red onion and garlic, in a toasted sub roll generously spread w/ shecrab soup (in keeping w/my latest she crab soup as a condiment kick)

It was insanely good. No regrets, will eat again

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

About to eat this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I woke up at 5:40am to a UPS screeching because the power was out. I'm now boiling water for coffee to the sweet hum of dozens of gas generators, contemplating whether I could pull off biscuits in a gas grill

• Locked thread