Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

zegermans posted:

I believe until the day I die that we'll never allow a 50th state for the sole reason that 51 is just a really ugly number

this nation is under the thumb of Big Flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

zegermans posted:

I believe until the day I die that we'll never allow a 50th state for the sole reason that 51 is just a really ugly number
If you added 2 more you'd be playing with a full deck.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Apparently the entire island is without power.

multiple sources says up to 3-6 months without it

some people find it hard to believe but uhh, you haven't lived through hurricane flooding and trees/debris basically hammering infrastructure apart. Also with that unbelievable rainfall record, I can find it easy to believe that there won't be power for a while in a lot of areas just for the simple fact that it's all flooded and there's no access there.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I'd imagine it would take a while to ship and entire islands worth of power poles alone

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Lastgirl posted:

multiple sources says up to 3-6 months without it

some people find it hard to believe but uhh, you haven't lived through hurricane flooding and trees/debris basically hammering infrastructure apart. Also with that unbelievable rainfall record, I can find it easy to believe that there won't be power for a while in a lot of areas just for the simple fact that it's all flooded and there's no access there.

after sandy, the richest part of the richest city of the richest country in the world was out of power for a week because of single blown fuse in a single transformer. i can easily believe a bankrupt us territory will have difficulty restoring any power at all

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
My 55floor luxury apartment building in the heart of the financial center was without power for 5months after Sandy.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

My 55floor luxury apartment building in the heart of the financial center was without power for 5months after Sandy.

humble brag

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

galenanorth posted:

eager for the Hurricane Maria jokes to switch to Hurricane Ophelia jokes

also for people to stop dying

Ophelia lore is steeped in death

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

zegermans posted:

Gotta keep adding states until you get to 69

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Karl Barks posted:

humble brag

I got to live in it one month rent free (I moved in October and never paid rent) then moved out after the building was rendered unfit for habitation, got my full deposit back too.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/911308234660642816

Oh fuuucckkk.

There's 70,000 people downstream of this dam:

https://twitter.com/fox4wx/status/911306497929486337

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
well, gently caress

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
drat.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This thread has less comedy than the old one.

voted 2
/
:smugdon:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Al! posted:

after sandy, the richest part of the richest city of the richest country in the world was out of power for a week because of single blown fuse in a single transformer. i can easily believe a bankrupt us territory will have difficulty restoring any power at all

biking around Manhattan at night when the power was out was a magical terrifying experience i will always cherish

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/AlBoeNEWS/status/911381274220048384

Found some video from earlier in the day.

Looks like the emergency spillway has partially collapsed and the water is cutting away at the dam.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Sep 23, 2017

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-zCI9woGCg&t=60s

Scale model of a dam starting to fail, with water cutting away at the beginning as is happening now

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 04:46 on Sep 23, 2017

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
First time since Andrew one of our NEXRADs got dunked on from what I've been able to dig up

https://twitter.com/NWSSanJuan/status/912088552145645568

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

We worked on the Hurricane document today and there are a whole mess of new PR resources to check out, including ways to get in touch with people who you haven't heard from. (Thank you to everyone who has been helping!)

https://www.fema.gov/hurricane-maria directs you to the American Red Cross Safe and Well Website and Univision created this tool:
http://www.univision.com/univision-news/united-states/find-updated-information-about-your-town-in-this-puerto-rico-search-engine

Repeating this particular snippet of info:
If you are in the U.S. and need to find your family:
Write to Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Administration to maria1@prfaa.pr.gov. Due to the large volume of emails, do not send more than one unless the situation of your family member has changed.
Call the Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Administration: 202-800-3133
Call the radio station WIPR 787-777-0940
Call the Puerto Rico Family Institute at 212-414-7895. They are helping PRFAA because their lines are slammed. Just go through the recorded message and press any key.

I want to point out this opportunity in particular that seems well suited to many goons:

quote:

Tech experts needed
People in the diaspora with a tech-related background who want to donate their expertise are encouraged to fill out the Maria Tech Recovery Effort
Maria Tech Recovery Effort form . This form is being managed by a group organizing through Startups of Puerto Rico who will work to connect key people on the ground in PR with the best talent in the diaspora. In order to partner effectively, they are using the form to create an “inventory” of talent that can be leveraged to help stand up services and share resources.

WrenP-Complete has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Sep 25, 2017

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Do you have a different link to the tech recovery doc? It's not loading for me

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
puerto ricans are technically citizens so they're free to retreat to the continent, right

are there any immigration hoops to jump through

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Do you have a different link to the tech recovery doc? It's not loading for me

Sorry about that! I think I fixed it now.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

WrenP-Complete posted:

Sorry about that! I think I fixed it now.

Thanks a ton, it's working now for me

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Oxxidation posted:

puerto ricans are technically citizens so they're free to retreat to the continent, right

are there any immigration hoops to jump through

no they are literally us citizens, puerto rico just isnt a state, if they live somewhere else they can vote tho

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm glad I'm safely on the other side of the Atlantic now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jose posted:

I'm glad I'm safely on the other side of the Atlantic now

After 70 advisories, enough is enough.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So Hurricane Maria has gone all Katrina on us, except the effects are much bigger?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
the south loves big wet women

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

So Hurricane Maria has gone all Katrina on us, except the effects are much bigger?

Yes also we get to learn that we treat our island colonies much worse than anywhere on CONUS even when we treat people in the poor parts of CONUS hilariously bad.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Yes also we get to learn that we treat our island colonies much worse than anywhere on CONUS even when we treat people in the poor parts of CONUS hilariously bad.

Trump has no hotels in porta rico

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
They're not helping Puerto Rico because they know that it will never rebuild. Climate change has made globally integrated, capitalistic life on that island non-viable and unprofitable. Puerto Rico is doomed; we can't see it now, but the island's population just began an irreversible decline that will last generations.

Until some rich guy buys it and it becomes a billionaire pedophile safari getaway

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

PR news: everyone in all the ICUs has died.

https://twitter.com/NelsonMRosario/status/914220569402281985

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This is one reason why the new Hurricane thread is less fun

So if I ask "why didn't they have aux. generators" is the answer going to be heartbreaking

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

That's not exactly surprising, but just put out there like that is... wow.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

So if I ask "why didn't they have aux. generators" is the answer going to be heartbreaking

They did but there's no more diesel on the island. Landfall was ten days ago now.

Edit: clarifying because someone asked - the tweet refers to one hospital but the information I was reporting on all the hospitals came from an ICU nurse with more information about the situation.

WrenP-Complete has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Oct 1, 2017

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

The answer during the incident response postmortem will probably be "They did and all the fuel ran out"

Our JIT logistics economy breeds infrastructure fragility after all

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

luv2see all the MAGA shitlords crapping on PR in the replies

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Nebakenezzer posted:

dont worry, the media though these stories were too much of a bummer too

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/914896009259610112

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

luv2see all the MAGA shitlords crapping on PR in the replies

fake news, those people aren't dead, they're sleeping peacefully after being healed by the grace of our Lord, donlad tump, pbuh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al! posted:

dont worry, the media though these stories were too much of a bummer too

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/914896009259610112

I spent my lunch watching Brian Williams kill airtime with his idiotic banter about what it must have been like to experience a mass shooting - as if we haven't already heard it a thousand times before.

• Locked thread