Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

STAC Goat posted:

Coraline! That's another one I never got around to. Again. I've owned that DVD for years.

Just watch it today, dude. It's a legit great movie.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

After you finish posting your reviews, please take the time to create another post with a list of every movie you watched, preferably with your rating/review (not written review, just star/spooky/etc.).

Just for you I will add numerical ratings now, but they're gonna be arbitrary and subject to a memory I will not vouch for. 5 point integer scale and no credit is awarded for my expectation that other people would appreciate a movie.

1. The Boxer's Omen - 5
2. The Reflecting Skin - 2
3. Don't Deliver Us From Evil - 3
4. Patchwork - 3
5. The Puppet Masters - 1
6. The Dead Next Door - 2
7. The Mutilator - 2
8. Spider Baby, or The Maddest Story Ever Told - 4
9. The Funhouse - 3
10. Night of the Creeps - 4
11. The Windmill Massacre - 2
12. Shocker - 4
13. Tremors 5: Bloodlines - 3
14. The Abominable Dr. Phibes - 5
15. Dr. Phibes Rises Again - 5
16. Curse of Chucky - 4
17. Demons 2 - 3
18. M - 4
October proper starts here
19. The Love Witch - 1
20. The Seventh Curse - 4
21. Fermat's Room - 3
22. Frankenstein Created Woman - 4
23. Raw - 2
24. Cult of Chucky - 34
25. The ABCs of Death 2 - 3
26. Spirits of the Dead - 4
27. Campfire Tales - 1
28. The Vineyard - 4
29. Remote Control - 4
30. Blade Runner 2049 - 3
31. The Similars - 3
32. Tombs of the Blind Dead - 3
33. A Nightmare on Elm Street - 2
34. Dead of Night - 4
35. Chillerama - 1, +1 for audience reactions
36. Tales of Terror - 3
37. Body Bags - 3
38. The Woman - 3
39. Happy Death Day - 2
40. I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle - 4
41. The Exorcist - 4
42. The Amityville Horror (2005 version) - 2
43. The Darkness - 1
44. Halloween: Resurrection - 1
45. Halloween IV - 2
46. Halloween V - 1
47. Curse of the Demon - 3
48. Carnival of Souls - 4
49. The Beyond (Composer's Cut) - 5
50. My Soul to Take - 1
51. Suspiria (4k with live, non-Goblin score and Jessica Harper intro Q&A) - 4
52. The Devil's Dolls - 2
53. Christine - 5
54. Tag - 2

Favorite movie: The Abominable Dr. Phibes. There is very little about this that I did not love, and it has sufficiently universal appeal that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. If you don't love this movie our friendship wasn't going to work out anyway.
Least-favorite movie: Halloween: Resurrection. I don't care about the franchise and I still felt like this was aggressively insulting.
Biggest positive surprise: Christine. I mean, it's Carpenter so I shouldn't have been that surprised, but it delivered a lot more than I expected from a Stephen King adaptation about a killer car.
Biggest negative surprise: Raw. All the buzz and the trailer had me expecting to really love this, but it mostly left me cold. That was disappointing.
Best theater experience: The Beyond, no contest. Frizzi and his band did such a great job with a movie that I appreciated much more than I have in the past.
Favorite gif I made for this thread: This is like a five-way tie, but since I'm making the post right now and not thirty seconds into the past/future, spiders at dinner takes it.

Miscellaneous other thoughts: It didn't really hit me until I was skimming back to decide on that last self-created category, but I spent a lot more time than I am used to paying attention to faces this month. It turns out they are sometimes fun to look at, which I definitely would not have guessed. I think partial credit goes to Lurdiak and SomeJazzyRat for the unusually high dose of Price. Some of it is because I was explicitly trying to avoid what I'd normally think of as the standout scenes since I didn't want to spoil anything I thought would have more impact without prior knowledge. But looking back at my log, it definitely started with Spider Baby and is much more prominent in older movies - I think Christine is the newest thing on the list that stands out this way. Is this an acting style thing? Did people forget how to shoot faces in the past 30 years?

The live score thing was a lot more fun than I expected it to be. I was really surprised at how much it changed the tone of Suspiria to have all of the movie's audio muted in combination with a completely different score. Would definitely go to this sort of thing more often if I lived in an actual city. Wish I lived in an actual city.

I can't believe I didn't get around to Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein/The Invisible Man (this one I've at least seen before but I remember next to nothing)/Cat People/a bunch more giallo/etc. I can't believe I wasted so much time watching garbage Halloween sequels; hotel cable is terrible.

I miss October.

edit: Decided to check where October actually started in my list, since we opened the thread early. 36 movies in October proper's not bad given that I lost a few days to travel, but I obviously have to quit my job if I'm ever going to make it to the 70s.

edit 2: Cult of Chucky bumped from 3 to 4 the instant I woke up. I think initially I was stuck on how good some bits from the first half of Curse were and how cool the house was, and felt like I needed to differentiate the two. Thinking about Fiona's performance in Cult, I have decided it is okay for two Chucky movies to have the same score even though they are very different Chucky movies.

Irony.or.Death fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 2, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love horror and I loved this thread but I gotta be honest... I'm kinda excited that tonight I don't feel obligated to watch a horror movie and can just watch whatever.

I'll probably catch up on my DVR that's filled with No End House, Supernatural, Van Helsing, Z Nation, Ghost Wars, and Superstition.

I may have a problem.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
My summary post:

I'm really glad I did this! So this year I had a list set of movies to watch, and I watched quite a few of them! But I suffered an injury that, while inhibiting my ability to type at length regularly for a bit (don't click, the upside is due to the bizarre nature of the incident I can now describe in detail what my own flesh and blood tastes like, so in a way the timing couldn't have been better!), it didn't stop me from watching as many flicks as possible from my lists. I say lists because I had one ready to go, but very shortly into October I mentioned earlier in the thread I switched over to this one from Graveyard Shift Sisters. So the final tally is a mix of stuff from two different lists. Here's my thoughts on everything I got around to seeing, thirty-one films in all. In some cases if my thoughts are little longer I made a blog post about it instead, which I plan to do for each of these in the near future for posterity.

Surprises out of the movies I never saw before include Bones, Ernest Scared Stupid, The Blood of Jesus, Sugar Hill, and Q: The Winged Serpent.

28 Days Later 3/5
I saw this movie the day it came out in theaters, loved it, and hadn't seen it since. It sort of holds up and doesn't at the same time. Everything about it is great, but looking at in 2017 it loses some impact because of how influential it ended up being, as you can see the seeds for a lot of how "serious" zombie movies work today in it. I have to say that, like when I saw it in theaters, I still think the way
Brendan Gleeson gets infected has got to be the most bullshit thing ever. Having that character killed before our remaining three survivors enter the compound was pretty clearly a decision made just to put them in a more vulnerable state of losing their heavy hitter while still briefly having our military folks appear to be nice guys. I only saw the movie once, but I actually bought the soundtrack not long after and, like back then, the use of it in the movie holds everything together really well. This is still definitely A Good Movie. As I write this I also realize that I, somehow, still haven't seen 28 Weeks Later.

Abby 4/5
https://gamingdetritus.com/2017/10/2017-october-horror-challenge-vi-abby/

Alien vs. Predator 1/5
Unlike 28 Days Later, this is still definitely A Bad Movie. I just, like, why would you make a cool detailed ancient aliens shifting maze arena set and then use it for like three minutes? I still laugh at the wide-eyed realization of two characters consecutively stating out loud "The enemy......of my enemy.....is...my FRIEND" one after the other in case we don't realize that they figured out the Predators are there to hunt the Aliens. The budget necessitating a single "hero" alien rather than hordes of them feels lazy since you have a single one them clowning on multiple Predators, and at the end Sanaa Lathan, I mean I think Sanaa Lathan is cool honestly but is anyone really cool enough to just be chilling outside on Antarctica in spring/early fall caliber pants and a shirt for who knows how long?

Alien Factor 3/5
This is one of those movies I've seen the first twenty minutes or so of a dozen times. It's like The Blood Waters of Dr. Z but even "better" in its campiness and uh Samurai Cop-esque editing. This movie has my favorite bad creature effects and drama built around those bad creature effects ever. You can see this one on Amazon Prime right now and it's well worth it. It's slow paced but the bad acting and choppy editing gives me a huge smile. It also, due to budget, has a lot of random individual people who just kind of pop up like "whelp I heard a monster is in town, better help out by wandering around aimlessly in the woods without telling anyone!"

Alien Zone 1/5
This is an anthology movie. It's......not very good. It was originally released with the name The House of the Dead which I guess they realized would sort of be false advertising. The framing story involves a guy accidentally getting a ride to the wrong street. He meant to meet his mistress at a hotel but instead ends up at a funeral home in which he takes refuge as it's pouring out. So candles are lit, the undertaker is awake and welcomes the guy in. He then opens up a few caskets for the guy and gives us four story segments, each detailing how one of these people met their end. These segments are like, oh my God. Each probably sounded really intense on paper but we're talking some Norman Checks In caliber moments in regards to cheap looking late seventies/early eighties crap. One segment in particular stands out though. About an American Psycho-esque photographer dude obsessed with filming himself murdering people. It's edited to intercut him being arrested and surrounded by press with him filming himself talking about each woman he's about to murder in the past with the actual final moments where he kills them (also filmed by him). It's unfortunately still goofy as hell and horribly executed like the rest but hey they tried. The cover imagery you see for this movie on Shudder comes from the first story, where a schoolteacher who hates kids comes home from work, starts to take a shower (but not before putting a whole meatloaf in the oven just for herself gently caress yes), but then realizes someone's in the house. It turns out to be a bunch of kids in Halloween masks that then kill her, somehow, it fades into wavy trippy after effects but ends just as it might almost be kind of sort of good. Anyway the kids all have THREE HUGE TEETH instead of the more typical arrangement we'd expect from humans but much like Torgo's knees in Manos: The Hands of Fate they're the opposite of horrifying.

They fit four segments in here but the entire movie is seventy-six minutes long so as you can imagine, there's nothing in the way of any atmosphere or real build up to what's happening, but the movie also isn't graphic in any way (you don't even see the corpses in the funeral home), at all, so it has nothing going on for folks just looking for a movie where people get killed either.

The framing segment has nothing going for it either though I guess the way it ended was fitting, this movie just flat out sucks.

Beyond 5/5
This movie just flat out kicks rear end. This is a long time favorite of mine and but I actually don't re-watch it often. This movie gets brought up a lot in this thread so I don't think there's much I can contribute to it, but I will say I just love how relentless it feels. It's not necessarily faster paced than his other movies but the dream-like logic and haziness to a lot of the film's events are so well done that it never feels like it's dragging. And the incredible soundtrack is of course a big part of that too. I know that, realistically some of this stuff is done for budgetary and stunt limitations, but I love how nightmare-like the opening is with how slowly one of the townspeople strikes our painter/wizard/gate to hell guardian with that chain and how messed up the dude's face gets from it anyway. The bathtub zombie scene (which Resident Evil aped to much less effect) always creeps me out because of the way it doesn't jump or pop out of the tub but is just sort of there. There's so much good in this movie. Like if I had to really nitpick it I could say the spider scene goes on a little too long, to the point where it loses it's effect and just looks super fake, but that's a small thing compared to everything else this movie does.

Blade 5/5
https://gamingdetritus.com/2017/11/2017-october-horror-challenge-xxxi-blade/

Blood of Jesus 4/5
https://gamingdetritus.com/2017/10/2017-october-horror-challenge-v-the-blood-of-jesus/

Bones 3/5
https://gamingdetritus.com/2017/10/2017-october-horror-challenge-xi-bones/

Breeders 2/5
https://gamingdetritus.com/2017/10/2017-october-horror-challenge-xiii-breeders/

Cruel World 1/5
This is some SERIOUS dogshit Oh my Gooooood. Edward Furlong plays someone who feels he was destined to be a huge star (hmm...), but his career in TV is cut short when a woman he had a crush on years prior humiliates and rejects him on a reality TV show. He's so obsessed with this that he basically arranges an entire "fake" reality TV show in which a bunch of people, that woman included, are invited. All of the contests in it/etc. are geared towards getting revenge on this woman. Furlong's character is insanely rich, to the point of like, he could just produce an actual reality TV show and make it go however he wants with whatever cast he wants for real, so this seemed kind of redundant, but hey, I'm not the one who wrote the script for Cruel World. Anyway the entire movie is basically scene after scene of characters kinda sorta figuring out a way to escape, but OH WAIT! He had a contingency planned for that after all! He has a mentally disabled older brother who is super strong and helps him out with everything who is in a few moments where his gullibility almost allows someone to escape but then the character is so stupid that they still manage to anger him.

Demons 4/5
https://gamingdetritus.com/2017/10/2017-october-horror-challenge-x-demons/

Ernest Scared Stupid 4/5
I never saw this movie until now. I loved the show as a kid, but the only movie I had seen was Ernest Goes to Camp which, even as a kid was obviously awful so I went into this with pretty low expectations. Fortunately this movie kicks rear end.

There's some stuff like Ernest's "rapid progression of impressions" from his show that don't really hold up but everything else about this movie is super fun. The various stuff related to the creature(s) is awesome too and it looks really good at times.

I can see how this would be legit terrifying to a little kid too just because of the really primal way the main kids are shown as cool via their canned goods launching treehouse, and then immediately after that the creature is dropping kids left and right with ease I mean the movie foreshadows that the kids can be brought back and whatever but still and no one gives a poo poo - even after everyone is aware of the situation the adults are more upset that no one's respecting authority than they are about the kids that vanished. Like you can tell this was made a year after IT was on TV/the book blew up again.

They do a good job balancing more serious horror movie shots and situations with Ernest's wackiness, I love the steadicam shot of him running down the school hallway stating "Troll, trolls, trolls," over and over again with a legit shaken and panicked face but strutting in the most ridiculous way possible.

Plus there's Eartha Kitt as an insane metal welder artist/local occult history expert!?!?! This movie rules.

One of other reasons Ernest Scared Stupid is so good to me is because of how much it fits squarely into the genre of New England horror. The witch trial at the beginning especially, that could have been pulled right out of any number of 70s movies' prologues before some modern folks start disappearing in the woods. They did a great job making that type of straight story and then inserting the Ernest character into it as the main character instead of the other way around and it really works.

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives 4/5
I saw every Friday the 13th movie at some point as a teenager, but remembered little about them beyond the obvious stuff. Earlier this year I made a commitment to watch them all and, for weird reasons (mostly what people I was hanging out with) I somehow ended up skipping Part VI.....UNTIL NOW.

This movie totally owns, this is basically peak Friday the 13th for me. Everything about the build up to his return is amazing.

Gerald's Game 5/5
This movie is excellent and everyone should watch it. Great performances all around and I couldn't stop watching it despite most of the movie being two people in one room, great job. It must have been interesting to arrange, like the bed/furniture must have had to have been positioned and the headboard set up based on Carla Gugino's height and reach for it to work. So much of the movie is based on her stretching and almost reaching something and it had to be challenging to keep that consistent, since you'd notice if they cheated it ineffectively as we see the bed so much in the movie. I just have one nitpick, and that's that at the very end, they should have had the Moonlight Man just be Carel Struycken sans the extra makeup. It looked silly in the daytime/courtroom lighting and would have been way more thematically consistent if he wasn't made up to be a literal ye olde fantasy gray skinned ghoul.

Girl with All the Gifts 4/5
https://gamingdetritus.com/2017/10/2017-october-horror-challenge-iv-the-girl-with-all-the-gifts/

Gothika 3/5
https://gamingdetritus.com/2017/10/2017-october-horror-challenge-ii-gothika/

Grim Prairie Tales 3/5
Another anthology film. This one isn't readily available unfortunately, and I only know about it because I got a VHS of it for a dollar several years ago. I believe you can watch it unofficially on YouTube though and it's worth checking out.

The framing story is BRAD DOURIF as a well to do city guy on a long journey to reunite with is estranged wife, and JAMES EARL JONES as an insane bounty hunter obsessed with coldness and how cold it gets at night. Jones rides in with a freshly killed corpse slung over his horse just in case you can't figure out from his performance that he's not someone you want to gently caress with. Dourif's a city boy but a perceptive and savvy one, which gives them just enough mutual suspicion/respect to share a fire and shoot the poo poo with each other. That shooting the poo poo makes up the segments of the movie.

The whole movie is cold, we have a wild west here that's dangerous not because it's immediately deadly or harsh or because hordes of bad guys are after you, but because it's isolating and lonely. That's cool.

But...they literally did not need segments in this movie, like they could have just had Dourif and Jones telling the stories and I think this would have been legit incredible, they're both like 110% on point it's awesome. Like I want to see the movie that's just these two actors as these characters meeting up, exchanging tales and travelling a bit together before parting ways.

Each of the segments has a cool moment or two when they embrace some low budget effects and supernatural weirdness, but unfortunately none of them are particularly outstanding. And yet sill I like this movie, corniness and all in the segments. The soundtrack especially is pretty grating and annoying at times.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch 3/5
Franchescanado made a great post about why this movie is cool and unique to me so just read that. All I'll add is that Cochran's plan is that he wants to bring things back to the past, but he can't. Cochran and Challis (Tom Atkins' Dr. character) are two sides of the same coin, they both want return to their normalcy, but that can never happen because the world has moved on. Challis' philandering bullshit does nothing but destroy everyone around him and himself but he continues to embrace it. Cochran wants to return to the days of witchraft, but those days are long dead, it's through high technology and a mastery of modern media dissemination that he's able to succeed. But his success it that every child explodes into a pile of pestilence. No one on earth that survives that is going to think "Wow! I'm so glad witchcraft came back to make my kids explode!" They're two Powerful Men who've doomed themselves and everyone around them by only using that power for themselves. I write a lot about 80s Italian horror movies, the story to this one is kind of reminiscent of them in how it's a bunch of things that were popular crammed into one plot, but Atkins/etc. have enough presence to carry it and it has enough weird/goofy stuff happening regularly that it never gets boring.

Hollows Grove 2/5
https://gamingdetritus.com/2017/10/2017-october-horror-challenge-vii-hollows-grove/

Inferno 2/5
https://gamingdetritus.com/2017/10/inferno/

Maniac (1980) 4/5
I want to say I was about 15 when I was first introduced to this movie. I learned about it through a friend's horror punk band as they would have TVs playing the televised trailers that were set up around Times Square to advertise the film on their stage. This is a hard watch every time. It's not the only depraved serial killer movie told from the killer's point of view, but it's the only one to really use the NYC subway the way among other locations the way it does. I grew up in Brooklyn and would go all over NYC for whatever, and most of the time when I watch stuff like Driller Killer, The Warriors, Street Trash, Basketcase, etc., there's some nostalgia attached to those viewings and how I talk about them and how I view them. But this movie, even more than The Driller Killer just feels so abhorrently filthy to me in a way I was never able to put into words, it's amazing. It's the movie set in NYC ever where anytime I watch it I'm like, my parents wanted to have kids here??? I read there's some lost footage to it, a POV shot from Joe Spinell as the models/manikins are ripping him apart, was that ever found in any form?

Mummy (2017) 1/5
My wife and I like watching a lovely movie now and then and we knew generally what we were getting into, but it's days later and I'm still baffled by how badly written, acted, structured, whatever, basically everything about The Mummy is. Like how do you gently caress that up as much as you did. For all of its badness, The Room has more consistent characterization and tone to it than a $125 million action adventure movie starring Tom Cruise. Also like, wow I'm so glad The Mummy was brought back so she could spend most of her screen time chained to the floor looking angry and how the movie was actually the stealth origin of "there weren't any American people in Egypt in whenever BC but Cruise the star, uh, uhm, OKAY I GOT IT!!!" Like the fast and loose way they played with the rules they set up what the gently caress. Like drat I wish I could spend a few minutes killing like ten birds and then cut my hand once and then effectively become a god. Set/Satan is getting pretty desperate for help.

Also Crowe's usually at least dependable but God drat that was an Edward Norton in Red Dragon caliber "I'm just here for the buffet" performance. With that script I don't blame him or anyone else though.

Hilariously, WayForward is releasing an action game (it's out now but I wrote this a week ago when I saw the movie) in the vein of Aliens: Infestation based on this movie where you play as one of those agency dudes and run around shooting zombies. I mean it was pretty clearly not a Mummy game at the first but they got the license for it. But again it's like, dude, Universal/WayForward/whoever, you have this particular Mummy character design and abilities, like who the gently caress even cares about this secret douchebag monster studying society. Like why the gently caress would you even think "we want to make a universe of all of our supernatural characters" and then make the protagonists of your movies some generic secret agency dudes that want to dissect them?

The entire Dark Universe was dogshit from the second they thought of it but I'd love to see what the gently caress they had in mind for whatever was going to follow this one. Like Tom Cruise is now The Mummy and the earthly incarnation of Satan and wears an idiotic skeletal and accessory over his regularly hand and is able to resurrect people from the dead/whatever like it's no big. Can't wait to see the Gill-Man tangle with this guy.

So now we're on strike three with this in modern times for Universal having a shared monster universe. Van Helsing was the first, then Dracula Untold, and now The Mummy (there was a Wolfman movie in between those but it was always meant to be its own thing). And holy crap this new Mummy movie is so bad, like mummies and everything about mummification is metal as hell and loving awesome and Egyptian mythology is nuts. And yet somehow there are only three Mummy movies that are (possibly, depending on your tastes) worth watching (the one with Christopher Lee, Dawn of the Mummy, and the first Brendan Fraser one).

Opera 5/5
I really love this movie for how far it stretches the giallo formula, and for how Argento wisely has the entire film takes place over a relatively short amount of time so that it doesn't fall apart. The way the entire concept of police is represented by just one person and a voice over, the awesome solution to figuring out who the killer is, all of this stuff works so well. Opera's opening rehearsal -> annoying ravens -> diva getting run over is also one of my favorite openings to a movie ever.

Pieces 3/5
Oh my goodness gracious :laffo: oh man. Excuse me while I just walk down the street in broad daylight slaughtering folks with a chainsaw hidden in my coat and am somehow never caught. This movie rules. Italy's mash-up of a giallo, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc. This is an awesome what the hell are you even watching kind of movie. It's on Shudder.

Q: The Winged Serpent 3/5
This flick :laffo: this movie is a total blast, it's on Amazon Prime and I suggest you all check it out. It does unfortunately have a slow middle act where all the major characters kind of spin their wheels for a bit before actually doing the stuff they're all about to do but the cast really carries this and the goofy as hell special effects are very fun. This isn't Larry Cohen's best movie, but only because he also directed Maniac Cop, Black Caesar, The Stuff, etc. But it's real rad, this is basically my go to movie now whenever someone wants to see a giant monster flick they haven't seen before. Also like Halloween III we get a complete loser protagonist, but unlike Atkins' Dr. Challis, Michael Moriarity somehow manages to get us to root for this complete loser criminal he's playing. David Carradine is in this too which is always a plus.

Raw 4/5
I love this movie. I really like how consistent everyone throughout it is with the revelation at the end without any of it feeling super obvious or thrown in just to foreshadow, it's a perfect twist. It's also refreshingly short and to the point (double checking it's 99 minutes), and I respect the confidence to pack so many chaotic moments into that running time without the movie ever feeling like it's going off the rails or losing the plot. It's refreshing how obvious it is that the older sister is extremely self-destructive except through the eyes of the younger sister right up until the end.

Stendhal Syndrome 2/5
I saw this movie once a long time ago and forgot everything about it besides the CG effects and that it stars Asia Argento. Seeing it now...I kind of understand why, this feels like it was the beginning of the end for Dario Argento's movies being good. It's a frustrating film to me because all of the individual pieces are there for something excellent, but it meanders, and meanders, and meanders, and meanders, and then the movie ends. The soundtrack and the opening scene are awesome. But even Asia herself was critical of the end product. It really does go off the rails, partially from how tense it is at first and how much goes down in the opening act, and then it just grinds to a halt.

Sugar Hill 4/5
https://gamingdetritus.com/2017/10/2017-october-horror-challenge-iii-sugar-hill/

Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight 5/5
https://gamingdetritus.com/2017/10/2017-october-horror-challenge-i-tales-from-the-crypt-demon-knight/

Vampire's Kiss 3/5
I've seen this movie several times in the past, I'm still not sure if I like it or not. I think it's really good and pretty hosed up. At the same time I'm still surprised it's billed as a comedy today. I mean yeah it's a dark comedy but even by 80s standards it's pretty harsh. But I shouldn't be shocked, I actually know very few people who've seen this film, and their only knowledge of it is a YouTube clip of the "I'm a vampire! I'm a vampire! I'm a vampire!" part. But anytime I encounter someone who has definitely seen it, they still regard it as laugh out loud hilarious. On the one hand it's really well made, on the other hand it's sort of 101 level like, yeah, women get treated like this all day all the time.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 2, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Now here's the list/review scores:

1- 28 Days Later 4/5
2 -Abby 4/5
3 -Alien vs. Predator 1/5
4 -Alien Factor 3/5
5 -Alien Zone 1/5
6- Beyond 5/5
7- Blade 5/5
8- Blood of Jesus 4/5
9- Bones 3/5
10- Breeders 2/5
11- Cruel World 1/5
12- Demons 4/5
13- Ernest Scared Stupid 4/5
14- Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives 4/5
15- Gerald's Game 5/5
16- Girl with All the Gifts 4/5
17- Gothika 3/5
18- Grim Prairie Tales 3/5
19- Halloween III: Season of the Witch 3/5
20- Hollows Grove 2/5
21- Inferno 2/5
22- Maniac (1980)
23- Mummy (2017)
24- Opera 5/5
25- Pieces 3/5
26- Q: The Winged Serpent 3/5
27- Raw 4/5
28- Stendhal Syndrome 2/5
29- Sugar Hill 4/5
30- Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight 5/5
31- Vampire's Kiss 3/5

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

1) Get Out: B
2) Witchboard 2: C
3) The Boggens: D
4) Death Spa: B
5) Brain Damage: B
6) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: A
7) The Eyes of my Mother: C
8) Gerald's Game: B
9) Cult of Chucky: C
10) Eden Lake: D
11) The ABCs of Death 2: C
12) The Fog: B
13) Dead & Buried: B
14) Graveyard Shift: B
15) Spirits of the Dead: B
16) Campfire Tales: D
17) Basket Case: C
18) Tales From The Darkside: C
19) Dead of Night: C
20) Puppet Master: D
21) The Invisible Man: C
22) Re-Animator: B
23) 1922: D
24) Opera: A
25) Bride of Re-Animator: B
26) From Beyond: A
27) Night of the Creeps: C
28) Phantasm: A
29) Asylum: C
30) The Beyond: B
31) The Void: D

Best Movie: Opera with Phantasm right behind.
Best Kill: Death Spa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ2jvSuFA6A&t=21s

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Prize Categories:siren:

These are the categories in which prizes will be given out!

Main Prize: A raffle among everyone who successfully watched at least 31 movies

Best Reviews: A prize for the person that consistently wrote quality reviews/write-ups throughout the entire challenge

Most Movies Watched: A prize for the person that watched the most movies during the challenge

Thread MVP: A prize for the most active goon in this thread, who's participation was more than just movie reviews, but also discussion, recommendations, etc.

Winners and prizes will be announced as soon as I can (I have to comb through 50 pages of this thread), so keep an eye out for updates.

If anyone was too busy to post their complete movie lists and final thoughts, please post them. It makes giving out prizes easier, and I don't want to miss anyone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I love horror and I loved this thread but I gotta be honest... I'm kinda excited that tonight I don't feel obligated to watch a horror movie and can just watch whatever.

I'll probably catch up on my DVR that's filled with No End House, Supernatural, Van Helsing, Z Nation, Ghost Wars, and Superstition.

I may have a problem.

My watchlists are actually filled with a bunch of non-horror stuff I've been ignoring all month, so November 1st is always bittersweet. The depression of knowing I'm an entire year away from Halloween season is thankfully offset by having like a whole weeks worth of interesting new releases to check out(Spiderman, Planet of the Apes, Baby Driver, a few others).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

My watchlists are actually filled with a bunch of non-horror stuff I've been ignoring all month, so November 1st is always bittersweet. The depression of knowing I'm an entire year away from Halloween season is thankfully offset by having like a whole weeks worth of interesting new releases to check out(Spiderman, Planet of the Apes, Baby Driver, a few others).

I'm going to make a point of avoiding horror movies and playing around in the Shameful thread. My theater's getting a lot of great stuff this month as well including Loving Vincent, Thor 3, BPM, a Jeff Goldblum festival called JEFF-FEST (Jurassic Park, Earth Girls Are Easy, The Fly), and Amazon Prime just got a bunch of good stuff.

I'm honestly not feeling a horror burnout (I did around the 3rd week in October, but Halloween, Trick 'r Treat and Carrie brought it back), but I have a lot of classics I want to finally watch.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have like five episodes of Twin Peaks I had to put off so I'm looking forward to finishing those

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

I have like five episodes of Twin Peaks I had to put off so I'm looking forward to finishing those

poo poo dude, I'm sorry, I love the October thread, but the new TP would have taken the priority on that one easily

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

recap with scores

Pre-Thread

9/1 Death Note 2.5/5
9/2 Creep 3/5
9/3 Devil’s Candy 2.5/5
9/4 Witch (rewatch) 3/5
9/6Onibaba 3.5/5
9/9 backcountry 3/5
9/10children of the corn 3/5
9/15 IT 4.5/5
9/16 The Nightmare, 2/5 Pumkinhead 3/5
9/19 Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County 2/5

For the thread

1)Ghostwatch 4/5
2)Willow Creek 3/5
3)Mother! 4/5
4)Q 5/5
5)Vampyros Lesbos 3/5
6)Saw the final chapter 2.5/5
7)Trilogy of Terror 3/5
8)train to busan 5/5
9)The living Skeleton 4.5 /5
10)Lights Out 3.5/5
11)Gerald’s Game 3.5/5
12)31 2/5
13)The Monster 4.5/5
14)Little Evil 3/5
15)Friday the 13th 4/5
16)cube 4/5
17)Hocus Pocus 3/5
18)Raw4.5/5
19)black sunday 4/5
20)Hell House LLC 4/5
21)Halloween 5/5
22)Halloween 2 4/5
23 the collector 2.5/5
24)1922 3/5
25)what have you done to solange 3/5
26)found footage 3d 3.5/5
27)the wolf man 5/5
28)rocky horror picture show 4/5
29)noroi the curse 5/5
30)I walked Witha Zombie 4/5
31)Spirited Away 5/5

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Franchescanado posted:

If anyone was too busy to post their complete movie lists and final thoughts, please post them. It makes giving out prizes easier, and I don't want to miss anyone.

Do I have to? I already posted the summary photo, and I don't really want to review any more.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Final movie review; watched this one on Halloween night, been utterly slammed with work.

31. The Serpent and the Rainbow - it had been about a decade since I'd last seen this one, and overall I dug it more than I remembered. The sense that the villain was ever-present and could just gently caress with people at will was effective, although I think the movie lost a lot of its "inspired by a true story" vibe as things got crazier near the end. The first, like, 2/3 of the movie felt fairly grounded but still sufficiently creepy, but then things go off the rails a bit when it turns into a multi-round 1v1 supernatural fight.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Here's the final movie tally, 31 movies watched. I did reviews for each movie upthread but I didn't do numerical review "scores" or anything like that, but I guess I can throw in an arbitrary review system in this post.

1. Hellraiser - great
2. Hellraiser II - good
3. Hellraiser III - meh
4. Slither - great
5. The Sacrament - good
6. Noroi: The Curse - meh/sucked
7. Cult of Chucky - good
8. Pumpkinhead - meh
9. Lights Out - great
10. The Conjuring - meh
11. 13 Ghosts - good
12. The Other Side of the Door - sucked
13. Last Shift - good
14. The Babysitter - good
15. Chopping Mall - good
16. Saw III - good
17. Mimic - great
18. Red State - good
19. Mimic 2 - good/meh
20. Village of the Damned - good
21. Children of the Corn - good/meh
22. Mimic 3 - good/meh
23. Cabin Fever - meh
24. The Faculty - great
25. What We Do in the Shadows - great
26. Re-Animator - great
27. Saw IV - good
28. Phantasm - sucked
29. Split - good
30. The Strangers - meh
31. The Serpent and the Rainbow - good

Scariest movie: 'Lights Out', hands down. Really goddamn creepy, clever use of light and dark, I'm blown away that this wasn't rated-R because there's no way I'd let a 13 year old watch this.

Most fun movie: 'What We Do in the Shadows', easily. Not particularly scary or even thrilling or spooky, but loving hilarious and a blast from start to finish. Honorable mentions to 'The Babysitter' and (surprisingly) 'Chopping Mall'.

Hardest movie to watch: 'The Sacrament'. Not particularly scary or gory, but when poo poo starts going down, it's really depressing and relentless.

Biggest disappointment: 'Phantasm'. I kinda get the appeal of why this is a cult classic, but I thought it sucked out loud. Honorable mentions to 'Cabin Fever' (was much, much tamer than I was expecting) and 'The Conjuring'.

Overall I had a good time, but I started to get a little burned out by the end as my work was ramping up and I had less and less free time to watch movies and stuff. I had high ambitions of watching a bunch more movies (and had a ton bookmarked on various streaming sites, as well as movies from my own collection set aside) but it just didn't happen. But hey, that's what next year is for. :ghost:
I wanted to be more engaged in the thread and comment a lot more on other people's movies, but I was just totally slammed with work and barely had time to log my own stuff, let alone keep up with what everyone else was posting. That was kind of a bummer, and I hope next year gives me more free time to engage with the thread.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 3, 2017

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Talked to a buddy last night. He was one of the handful to have come to the projector night. We tallied the food and drink consumption and I thought it was interesting:

Hotdogs: One kilo.

Buns: One large pack.

Beef stew, homemade: One gallon.

Pumpkin pie: One.

Apple pie: One.

Kettle cooked potato chips: One party-size bag.

Popcorn: One microwave bag.

Apple cider: One gallon plus an orange and assorted spices for mulling and a dash demerera sugar.

Pusser's rum: 375 ml

Scotch ale: One quart.

Brown porter: One quart.

All between seven adults and two children.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That horror night you did was pretty ridiculous, yea. Fran better not let any of his friends find out about it because then they'll be demanding homemade beef stew and spiced apple cider at every horror night.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren: PRIZE WINNERS :siren:

:spooky:MAIN PRIZE:spooky:

This was a random drawing of every thread participant who watched at least 31 movies. Coincidentally, there was exactly 31 participants who made the goal (excluding myself, of course). However, only one can win, and the Halloween spirits chose

Irony.or.Death who watched 54 movies (36 in October proper).

Irony.or.Death posted:

Favorite movie: The Abominable Dr. Phibes. There is very little about this that I did not love, and it has sufficiently universal appeal that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. If you don't love this movie our friendship wasn't going to work out anyway.
Least-favorite movie: Halloween: Resurrection. I don't care about the franchise and I still felt like this was aggressively insulting.
Biggest positive surprise: Christine. I mean, it's Carpenter so I shouldn't have been that surprised, but it delivered a lot more than I expected from a Stephen King adaptation about a killer car.
Biggest negative surprise: Raw. All the buzz and the trailer had me expecting to really love this, but it mostly left me cold. That was disappointing.
Best theater experience: The Beyond, no contest. Frizzi and his band did such a great job with a movie that I appreciated much more than I have in the past.
Favorite gif I made for this thread: This is like a five-way tie, but since I'm making the post right now and not thirty seconds into the past/future, spiders at dinner takes it.

I do not having a picture of the painting right now, but it is a 18" x 24" acrylic painting of Tar Man Zombie, aka Juicy Zombie aka The Best Zombie Ever from The Return of the Living Dead. I hope you like it!

:spooky:MOST MOVIES WATCHED:spooky:

Choco1980 with a whopping 78 movies! You're insane! Sorry your irl friend managed to watch 80 movies, here's your consolation!

To fuel your horror addiction, you won a horror blu-ray provided by MacheteZombie! You have two options:

-You may pick your own horror blu-ray (with a limit of $50). It can be from Vinegar Syndrome, Synapse, Arrow, Criterion, anywhere, as long as it's a horror film.
-If you suffer from buyers remorse or FOMO, you may allow MacheteZombie to choose a surprise horror blu-ray for you. Spoooky! You're in good hands, the horror thread can vouch for MZ's tastes.

You also win a Demons painting!

:spooky:BEST REVIEWS:spooky:

STAC Goat, who watched 60 movies during the challenge (46 of which were in October proper, 31 of which were from 1987-2017 in an insane feat). Not only was your challenge intricately difficult to accomplish, but you managed to write great reviews for all of them. Congratulations! You earned it!

Prize: A copy of The Monster Show: A Cultural History of Horror* and a Critters painting

*if somehow you already own a copy, PM me and we'll figure something out

:spooky:THREAD MVP:spooky:

Basebf555 with 165 posts in the thread, 70+ more than the average poster, all of which were in the spirit of Halloween and the October Thread (which tries to echo the chill and friendly environment of the Horror Thread).

Prize: a Street Trash painting!

I hope everyone is happy with their prizes, and I want to thank every single goon who participated and kept this thread popular! I look forward to it every year, and I already have plans for next year's to make it even better for everyone.

For the prizewinners, I will be PMing you this weekend to arrange a way to send your prizes to you. If you don't have PMs, I will give you my e-mail address.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Awesome! Congrats to the lucky and deserving winners, and thanks for organizing the challenge! Never would've seen that many different horror movies otherwise.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Best challenge yet, by far. Thanks again to all involved!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh my god! Not only did I win something but its a painting of my favoritest childhood horror monsters!?!?! You are awesome and I love you!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like that the painting I won is one of those movies I wouldn't have ever known about if not for the horror thread, that seems really appropriate. Too bad it's not still on Amazon or I'd rewatch it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Really fun event. Got me to watch way more movies that I would have otherwise. had a lot of fun sharing my opinions and reading others reviews. Looking forward to next year.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Next year I'm debating on reversing my "31 Years" challenge and going 1955-1986. I'm always meaning to watch more stuff pre-80s and the bonus is that it will leave me feeling free to watch anything post-86 between now and then without any "save it for the marathon" thinking that always kind of lingers in the back of my mind.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Wow, I can't believe I won! Mostly my contest each year is against myself, and I didn't expect to win anything! This is a huge honor, that I'm definitely still going to try to top next year! Thanks a lot!

And you know what, Machete I'm gonna roll the dice for my prize and let you surprise me. Thanks again!!

(also, I have PMs)

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

I do not having a picture of the painting right now, but it is a 18" x 24" acrylic painting of Tar Man Zombie, aka Juicy Zombie aka The Best Zombie Ever from The Return of the Living Dead. I hope you like it!

I am extremely psyched about this and I'm gonna rewatch return right now. Seems like a good excuse. Thanks for organizing!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks to everyone that participated! Thread was great to follow this year, as always!

Choco, I have pms as well. I'll contact you over the weekend. :)

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

After this is over I learn that there is a black and white release of The Mist! Impulse ordered a Blu-ray so hard to set aside for next October. I havbe such high hopes compared to the color version in which the suckass CG ruined everything.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh man, I hoped the prize was one of your awesome paintings! Congrats, winners!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ooh, Monster Show's a great book. Skal actually came up and taught it as a class at my university one year, it was amazing

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Retro Futurist posted:

Ooh, Monster Show's a great book. Skal actually came up and taught it as a class at my university one year, it was amazing

Whoa, jealous. It's the book that got me into taking horror movies seriously my first year of college. I kinda had a few years in high school where I didn't care as much about horror, then I found that book, and watched The American Nightmare and was like "oh yeah...it was always about the monsters with me..."

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Whoops forgot to post up my last few.

30. It Follows (2015)
I don't know maybe it had been hyped up too much but this nothing for me. I got to say this is my biggest disappointment of the year.
:spooky:

31. Death Note (2017)
Oddly enough this was the opposite I had thought this was going to be a huge piece of poo poo and enjoyed it a lot; making it my biggest suprise.
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

Watched:
1. House 2 (4/5)
2. Little Evil (2.5/5)
3. Cult of Chucky (3/5),
4. Dr. Phibes Rises Again (3/5)
5. Fright Night 2 (3/5)
6. Nomads (2.5/5)
7. 976-EVIL (1.5/5)
8. Lifeforce (3/5)
9. REC 3 (3/5)
10. I Saw the Devil (3/5)
11. Halloween II 2009 (2/5)
12. The Zero Boys (1.5/5)
13. Critters (2.5/5)
14. Wolf Cop (2.5/5)
15. Demon Knight (3/5)
16. Mimic (3/5)
17. Re-Animator (3/5)
18. Pumpkinhead (2/5)
19. Brain Damage (2.5/5)
20. The Seventh Curse (3/5)
21. Phantasm 2 (3.5/5)
22. Waxwork (3.5)
23. Waxwork 2 (1.5/5)
24. Warlock (3/5)
25. Opera (2.5/5)
26. Chopping Mall (3/5)
27. Train to Busan (4/5)
28. C.H.U.D. 2 (1.5/5)
29. Sadako vs. Kayako (3/5)
30. It Follows (1.5/5)
31. Death Note (4/5)

Bonus: REC (4.5/5), REC 2 (4/5), Halloween 2007 (2/5)

My favorite was probably Train to Busan while my the movie I absolutely hated more than any other would be Halloween 2 (2009)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
PM's have been sent to the prize winners! It's time to officially close the thread. Prizewinners, you're more than welcome to PM me about anything you need. If anyone has any suggestions for next year's October Thread, you're more than welcome to PM me as well. Or if you're just lonely, you can PM me, I guess.

314 days until the next challenge!

• Locked thread