Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The SSD thread's archived and there isn't a good one-shot question thread so here I go. I feel kind of dumb posting for just this.

Problem description: I have a 1TB Intel 540 SSD. My computer recently would hang particularly when trying to get to certain folders. The event log was claiming it was reading bad sectors. Intel's own utility claimed the read test was failing. Their support made me update the firmware first, which didn't make the read test pass, so I have a new drive coming. I'm trying to figure out what the cool kids are using these days to copy their disks over in these situations. Assuming the drive has some faults, what's the current utility people are generally using.

Attempted fixes: I was going to see if ReflectFree from the SSD thread was up for this, but I don't know how well it handles a drive that might have problems.

Note that the new drive is already here so all the intermediate bits are over.

Recent changes: No. Arguably I have been using the computer less over the summer due to an ongoing outdoor project.

--

Operating system: Win10 Pro. FWIW I assume I'll just boot into something else to do this.

System specs: home-built:
GIGABYTE GA-B150N
Intel 540 1.0TB SSD
SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
Intel i7-6700K

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Well yeah, but I'm particularly skeptical of google hits for utilities like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
As an update, I can say that ReflectFree is a no-go. My computer locked up on that one.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm trying to figure out what the cool kids are using these days to copy their disks over in these situations. Assuming the drive has some faults, what's the current utility people are generally using.

These are two popular ones that cost some $$$:

https://partedmagic.com/downloads/
https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/

I haven't used any free ones lately but maybe someone else has.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Zogo posted:

These are two popular ones that cost some $$$:

https://partedmagic.com/downloads/
https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/

I haven't used any free ones lately but maybe someone else has.

As a side note, it was possible that ReflectFree actually did it. When I looked at the partition this morning, I appeared to have the same partition map on the new drive and the used/free sizes were about the same. I regret not having booted it just to see. I had disregarded it because it had looked like it had only done a lot of prework before getting into the "real" operation, and it hanged 1% into the overall operation. That was 30 minutes into running it. I imagine you're the type that knows how usual it is for this stuff to drop dead as soon as you walk away from it.

I already started to do a fresh Windows install so I'm dealing with manually copying at this point. So I've moved past doing a deep byte-by-byte copy. I have a peculiar problem I have not seen before. The drive will basically drop dead on a bad sector and I had to cold boot it to get it to show up in the device manager afterwards. Scary. I'm left with a partially-copied directory tree.

I'm going to see if TeraCopy can be made to work with this, but I think it's main thing is that it will attempt to move on. I imagine every transfer after the dud will fail too, so I'm going to be struggling for something.

I'd just write some script, but I have come to understand it's never so trivial--especially with hidden files and various permissions.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have a peculiar problem I have not seen before. The drive will basically drop dead on a bad sector and I had to cold boot it to get it to show up in the device manager afterwards. Scary. I'm left with a partially-copied directory tree.

Yea, that's a definite sign of failure. If you try manually transferring files you'll have to do it trial and error/incrementally while the thing is still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
As a kind of resolution, I just did manual copies and soldiered through it. It looks like I got everything. The drive has long since been RMA'd. As a side topic, I couldn't really wipe it either. What I ended up doing was I encrypted the drive to the point that the drive would shut down on a bad sector and botch the whole operation. A really determined state actor could look past that and skim through all my old Minecraft stuff, so I am going to write it off as "good enough."

• Locked thread