Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

PMush Perfect posted:

Menace losing his poo poo at Loony Tunes was the first, last, and only proper humanizing moment the dude ever got. I remember finding it a little dumb at the time, but in retrospect, I think it could've been a jumping-off point into some really interesting character interaction.

It compares very favorably with the 'can't read his own mind' scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Joe Slowboat posted:

It compares very favorably with the 'can't read his own mind' scene.
"What? You mean I, the mindreader who knows everything about how people think, might have cognitive dissonance???? Sounds like bullshit."

Edit: To be fair, that is exactly how arrogant, insufferable know-everything nerds act, but somehow, I suspect that wasn't the intended takeaway.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

PMush Perfect posted:

"What? You mean I, the mindreader who knows everything about how people think, might have cognitive dissonance???? Sounds like bullshit."

Edit: To be fair, that is exactly how arrogant, insufferable know-everything nerds act, but somehow, I suspect that wasn't the intended takeaway.

Oh the basic idea (that he's got an incredibly weak self-knowledge and his own motivations and ideas aren't subject to the same scrutiny he can subject others to) is fine.

The dialogue and depiction were hilariously bad, though. Like, 'read his own mind' is a terrible way to say 'you don't have a coherent ideology, you just go with what sounds right and because you can't see your thoughts laid out like other people's, you never learned to loving introspect! You dumbass!'

...I could go on but I think we've inflicted enough of this on the thread.

I recently discovered a webcomic I should have not liked, Clown Corps, which is about shounen battle anime clowns. I'm really upset by how much I've enjoyed it so far, because I don't like clowns.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I am pleased to announce that after taking January off for Guest Art month, Chapter 3 of A Distant Sky begins literally now!

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Is that a Newgrounds 'Madness' cross-face guy??? :monocle: haven't thought about that aesthetic in so long; what a nostalgia trip! :regd04: in the best way

vvv i think they were originally marshmallows? who knows. so iconic to the early 2000s internet, tho, very heartwarming that someone cares enough to carry that banner forward even after the death of flash :shobon:

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 1, 2021

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I thought he was just literally a Peanut Man.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Nuns with Guns posted:

A couple webtoons have anime adaptions now, too, don't they? It's interesting seeing webcomics finally hitting a more mainstream vector, though admittedly only because a large corporate aggregator is collecting and farming them out rather than through truly independent developers.

It helps that more and more of the cartoon big shots are former webcomic artists or went to school with them.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PMush Perfect posted:

Menace losing his poo poo at Loony Tunes was the first, last, and only proper humanizing moment the dude ever got. I remember finding it a little dumb at the time, but in retrospect, I think it could've been a jumping-off point into some really interesting character interaction.

You telling me you weren't drawn in by time his mom one-handed Krav Maga crunched a french bulldog's neck?

HookedOnChthonics posted:

crunchyroll optioned freakangels of all things, lmao, but i haven't heard anything about it in a while

That's a bit odd... but I guess Crunchyroll saw how well Castlevania was doing and figured it'd try its hand at a Warren Ellis anime?

Kennel posted:

It helps that more and more of the cartoon big shots are former webcomic artists or went to school with them.

OK KO! Giving a final ending to RPG Quest was pretty amazing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wow. Ian even worked on Venture Brothers.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
https://twitter.com/jephjacques/status/1356232287361396741

I wonder how dudes like that were still even reading QC.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

in b4 "i wonder how anyone is still even reading QC" :v:

Nuns with Guns posted:

That's a bit odd... but I guess Crunchyroll saw how well Castlevania was doing and figured it'd try its hand at a Warren Ellis anime?

witness the glory:

vvv yeah no disrespect, just acknowledging the meme haha

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 2, 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

HookedOnChthonics posted:

in b4 "i wonder how anyone is still even reading QC" :v:

Honestly, quite a few people even here legit enjoy it.

It's never amazing but it's surprisingly easy to just keep reading it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It’s simple and light and cute and not particularly difficult to keep in my rotation, and I admire Jeph’s regular stance of “people are complaining my comic is too gay. Time to make it EVEN GAYER.”

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah QC is the original potato chip of webcomics. There's plenty of better stuff out there but on its own, it's okay. My only problem is Jeph's habit of introducing new cast members all the time rather than even attempt to use one of the 40something characters he already has for a new story. It's like It almost definitely is him just getting tired of a character so they just kind of fade into the void rather than him writing them out for any actual reason. And I've noticed that (for the most part) every character that fades into the void does so when their life hits any kind of stable position romantically and that's annoying. Getting a partner shouldn't equal the end of a character's ability to elicit punchlines.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 2, 2021

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Well hopefully this gross creepy new girl fades into the void right quick.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I did a comic (with my girlfriend):

https://imgur.com/gallery/05l48gu

It's probably not great but it was fun!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

GlyphGryph posted:

I liked it!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

:yeah:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

That's fun and good! You capture a nice condensed slice of that Demon's Mirror tone and outlook, and I very much enjoyed both the banter and the details of that magitech altar powered by moth eyeballs.

(While writing this post I went back to check and yeah, you're the poster who got me to binge-reread Demon's Mirror recently. Awesome! I love recognizing inspirations in stuff and this feels like a little reward for having spent that time.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 2, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Getting a partner shouldn't equal the end of a character's ability to elicit punchlines.
Jeph is very aware that his comic is basically just a series of short romantic comedies, and good on him for recognizing what he likes to write.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PMush Perfect posted:

It’s simple and light and cute and not particularly difficult to keep in my rotation, and I admire Jeph’s regular stance of “people are complaining my comic is too gay. Time to make it EVEN GAYER.”

I finally dropped QC last year. It stopped being good a while before that, when all the robot PDAs suddenly got humanoid bodies and Hannelore stopped being Hannelore.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Jedit posted:

I finally dropped QC last year. It stopped being good a while before that, when all the robot PDAs suddenly got humanoid bodies and Hannelore stopped being Hannelore.

Hannelore was such a weird character. She started out as a super cliche snarky sassy 20something, then completely flipped into a delicate, neurotic mess, then got written out for like two years and is now a weird half way between the two.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

habeasdorkus posted:

"There's no such thing as a transgender person"

:thunk:

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Ague Proof posted:

"There's no such thing as a transgender person"

:thunk:

*My hand starts phasing out of existence like Marty McFly*

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

habeasdorkus posted:

The weirdest thing is that, based on the timing, the thing that finally set this guy off after almost two decades of gay, trans, etc characters was two dudes chastely holding hands.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The weirdest thing is that, based on the timing, the thing that finally set this guy off after almost two decades of gay, trans, etc characters was two dudes chastely holding hands.
stuff that makes them feel tender emotion tends to make these guys panic and freak out

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

These two will be QC's first male x male gay couple, won't they? That's probably no small part of it, considering this is almost certainly a Weird Straight DudeTM we're talking about.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PMush Perfect posted:

These two will be QC's first male x male gay couple, won't they? That's probably no small part of it, considering this is almost certainly a Weird Straight DudeTM we're talking about.

Weird Straight Dudes probably already considered Marten and his trans GF to be the first MM gay couple.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jedit posted:

Weird Straight Dudes probably already considered Marten and his trans GF to be the first MM gay couple.
Fair point.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Saw this in PYF and thought it could be relevant:

Garrand posted:

God this whole thing is a hilarious clusterfuck of drama.

Just to fill in people and so everyone has a complete picture.

Adam Ellis makes this tweet, about some indie film makers who took his comic shot for shot and turned it into a movie without ever asking for his permission. The film makers literally admitted to it in interviews saying they were 'inspired' by a webcomic but never actually crediting Ellis. The movie has basically been pulled from everywhere at this point, but this is only the beginning.
https://twitter.com/moby_dickhead/status/1356347686497218561

Prolific Pen Comics makes this tweet accusing Ellis of plagiarizing a comic of his
https://twitter.com/ProPenComics/status/1356382841517445121

Ellis makes this now deleted tweet saying that it was based on an old comic from 2012

The problem is this comic exists nowhere and archive.org shows only 1 comic on his site from that date and it's something entirely different. Also that comic isn't really in the style he was using at the time. The only explanation is that Ellis inexplicably drew a fake comic and tried to fake a source as an old comic of his.

The thing is, this isn't the first time this has even come up. This tweet is from 2019, where where ProPen mentions Ellis apologizing him and trying to put it behind them.
https://twitter.com/ProPenComics/status/1083063360344608768
Since then, every time Ellis complains about any kind of plagiarism ProPenComics gets in the comments making remarks like this:
https://twitter.com/ProPenComics/status/1106763452779884546

And of course now people are replying to ProPen comics with this comic

That he plagiarised with this comic

Good times

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

The weirdest thing is that if there weren't evidence that the "old" dog comic is fake, I would honestly never believe that it was ripped off, just because of how utterly basic and common that joke is.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Powerup Comics has the real scoop

https://twitter.com/ShadowPowerup/status/1356780752155906057

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It's plagiarism all the way down.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's probably a 'when women do it, it's hot' type of thing.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
There are no trans characters in QC because there is no such thing as a transgender person.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Sounds like this dude had the slowest descent into internet Status Quo Warrior radicalization in history and he’s JUST figured it out now.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'm trying to figure out an old comic I read, and am wondering if anyone here might know what it is.

There was a magical tower, and the basement was like a monster realm and the monsters were also characters with plots, and there was an elevator with an evil demon in it.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm trying to figure out an old comic I read, and am wondering if anyone here might know what it is.

There was a magical tower, and the basement was like a monster realm and the monsters were also characters with plots, and there was an elevator with an evil demon in it.

Mansion of E?

http://mansionofe.comicgenesis.com/

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

That was it, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought it might have been Dungeon, which is very good.