Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The comic ending was fine, whatever, author can do what he wants. The real shitshow was the whole weird performance art thing with taking down the site and burning the preordered books, or however the whole thing went down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know that using these big social media sites is an easy path to get stuck on for budding artists who don't really want to go through the effort of figuring out web design and domain hosting, but Chris Hastings hit the big time, and he's a veteran from way back in 2004, it feels kind of regressive to forego a website like that.

Is this just the way the internet is going where people may not even use browsers, just the aps for their preferred social media sites?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

buy your own website with cheap hosting, sites aint that hard to set up. fans of star trek and moms all did it constantly in the 90s and now theres tools so easy that any dummy anywhere can do them

e: also your website and comics will be less likely to die when venture capital runs out and google and amazon realize they are suspended in midair over the grand canyon and the effects of gravity begin to take place, so to speak

Tumblr is currently owned by Verizon, so I think they'll be alright for a while, but Twitter has been losing money consistently for a while, and I don't know how long that can last. For some reason it just keeps on becoming more culturally significant.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Are Mildred and Linton eventually going to hook up as the horniest of the mystery kids?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also since David Willis isn't really good at handling drama, Raidah's antagonism is expressed by her making supervillain speeches and plotting with her friendgroup like a secret cabal.

There's also the angle where Willis is trying to appeal to shippers by presenting as many potential romantic pairings as possible.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

David Willis has a few consistent issues throughout all his works: He can't stick to a tone so he keeps flipping between jokey fun and the cheesiest melodrama, and he can't ever get away from his precious babies to ever do a new series. Like even his oldest work available on the internet, Roomies, it stars characters that he had been making comics of in high school.

Shortpacked was probably the closest he's ever gotten to a new start with new characters, but even then it starred characters who were in the background his last comic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you've stopped reading Oglaf for whatever reason, now's probably not a good time to get into it.

Unless I guess you find the graphic depiction of an eye being gouged out by a penis arousing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think anyone in this whole sequence of events could be accused of being reasonable or responsible. Sorting out all the blame is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, but the woman from the future who's been willfully sabotaging things is surely mostly in the wrong here (although it does make you think about what original timeline Tim was like).

That barcode on her arm makes me think that there's also some kind of apocalyptic hellfuture involved in this, but it's also possible that this whole thing was just a trick to add another character into the mix without having to wait for Scout to grow up.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Come to think of it, I have no doubt that Lottie and Claire can make some music, because that's just something that naturally occurs with groups of mystery-solving children, but have they ever done anything musical in the comic before?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I caught up on Badnix after falling away for a while, and I forgot how good this comic is. Adventure with practical explorations of the concepts involved with living in a videogame world? And everything is backed up by clever jokes and puns? This is extremely my jam.

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's a Christmas miracle!

Your optimism has been punished.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I did some rereading of 8-bit theater over the holiday, and the early bits certainly don't hold up very well. It is kinda funny to me to see the weird foreshadowing monologues that ultimately don't really get any pay off. I had a buddy who was angry when the comic ended at the lack of resolution to some of those.

At its best, 8-Bit Theater still was mostly dialogue, just a bunch of dudes talking with the occasional explosion. You can really see where Brian Clevinger got enough practice to become a really good writer.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My first webcomic was the garbage pile of Fireball20xl, which if you don't remember what that is, you're probably all the better for it. The guy who ran the site turned out to be a pedophile and all-around bad person, and I think basically the entire site has been purged by this point. There were a lot of webcomics by other people on his site, which I think I liked more (even if they all had a habit of mysteriously going on indefinite hiatus that makes more sense now), but everything I remember about That's My Sonic was uniformly garbage that I only ever tolerated because I was too young and dumb to know better.

I was already reading Foxtrot online beforehand, but that's not exactly a webcomic. Later I would branch out into reading things like Bob and George and 8-Bit Theater (I read a lot more sprite comics than I should've) and then later I started combing the top webcomics list and started reading things like El Goonish Shive and Girl Genius.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Aww, Tilly's getting a happy ending. :3:

Probably an unhappy ending for the space station, seeing as how the plan was to do corporate espionage.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

EGS kinda has exhaustive FAQ interludes to fully flesh out all the details of its weird worldbuilding. It really makes you wonder what Dan Shive could do if he tried making a comic not based on his high school fetishes.

Cat Mattress posted:

You'd get spells that are too high level for a beginner to cast, so you could never become a wizard?

I think that's Sarah's thing, her spells are way advanced, but they also require way more energy than she's supposed to have as a novice.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, spells derived from fetishes? The gently caress?

Well technically that's not how it works in-world, characters just have some kind of aptitude for some spell or another, often based on their personality or whatever.

Just it all comes back into fetishes because being fetish-y and weird is baked into EGS's DNA. Never anything explicit, the comic's probably more PG than ever these days, but it's impossible to ignore once you notice.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 7, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh, I'm sure there'll always be further, more complex revelations to be added further down the line.

More importantly, what on earth is going on with the Sluggy website? There's this huge bizarre parallax-scrolling...thing up top to scroll past, and then a couple overlays blocking things as well. And then I can't even find the next and previous buttons. I always thought I'd binge on what I'd missed to catch up one of these days, but I guess Sluggy Freelance has found a way to stop that from happening. Probably for the best.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I dunno, I'm looking forward towards the narrative eventually introducing his mom.

Dunno who's gonna be Beowulf though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

So, which of the crew pulls a Beowulf and kills Grendel?

Maybe he doesn't die and just gets his arm ripped off.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I sure hope he'll carry around a good metal shield for when a fire-breathing dragon shows up.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There can still be fun moments in EGS, but trying to take the dramatic plot seriously is always going to be underscored by the fact that the whole narrative has drifted a hell of a lot as Dan Shive has matured as a person and shifted his interests. I'm not even sure if you can say it'seven recovered that much of a focus, it was all over the place before Magus and Sirleck came back on their magical road trip to finally move the plot along.

There's a lot of dropped elements, like Grace, Uroyoms (I know I probably misspelled that) Tedd's Dad, Greg, Grace's family, Tedd's mutant cat, that weird alternate dimension skunk girl, most of high school life in general, and even Lord Tedd. When the plot hasn't shown a character for a while, I'm never really sure if they're still supposed to be part of the narrative at all or if they've just been dropped.

Dan Shive has definitely improved greatly as a writer and artist, he just is stymied by his teenage limitations. My recommendation, as always, is that he should cut himself free and do something new.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In his EGS:NP side series, he's generally a lot more concise (when he's not doing an exposition dump) and his stories don't drag on. I think the main thing dragging him down (aside from having to force these old characters and setting into a new shape they don't really fit) is trying to force everything into his old, vague plans for a narrative that he clearly loses interest in at times.

Of course right now EGS:NP is leaning too heavily on the fetishy side of things.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really love Vattu, but whenever I'm fully caught up, I get frustrated on how much more I wanna read.

I really wanna know what Vanni has been doing with Fluter society, and how he became in charge of the colony that the Empire was building instead of one of the earlier contacted tribes. I imagine there's no Hunter because there's no herds to go after, but do they even understand that the empire is trying to get them to farm, or has Vanni just been pulling short-term scams to offer tribute?

I wonder how much more we're gonna learn about Fluter society here too, are we going to finally see the Dead again?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It might be that might brevity is a skill in itself. Some people get started on a project, crank out a bunch of pages, and then it sinks in that what they planned will last them until the end of time, and then start learning to wrap up things into more manageable parts.

Of course, other people steadily build confidence and lose focus over time, putting out longer and longer chapters with more and more disparate elements going every which way.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'll never forget when I was in middle school and browsing the Nintendo Forums, and somebody linked to a website that hosted my first webcomics, not counting how I checked foxtrot online every day.

The guy who ran it turned out to be a massive pedophile, and now that I'm an adult all the faults of the comics are blatantly obvious.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

It's okay, you can say Bleedman.

So far as I know, Bleedman's never gone further than just producing sexual depictions of little girls. I was referring to the guy behind Fireball20xl, who was actively pursuing abusive sexual relations with minors.

In retrospect, it's one of those things that's not much of a surprise when you actually look at his work, but you don't really understand any of that kind of stuff when you're younger.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, Tumblr is just plain bad if you want to do anything more complicated than view an arbitrary smattering of somebody's latest work intermingled with whatever garbage they liked enough to re-tumble or however that works. There are ways that I've seen some people force Tumblr into more workable websites, but the default options are all terrible.

I don't know how it works on its own app, but on on my tablet, it tends to crash the browser by biting off more than it can chew with the whole infinite-scrolling thing. Even the archive page can crash you if it goes on long enough. Last time I had to browse an artist's unorganized work on Tumblr I had to fiddle around with the address bar. It's enough to make you miss Deviantart.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Either that or he's from an Asterix comic.

Literally anything is possible in this comic, but normally the mystery kids and their families are off limits for the supernatural. Although maybe Zebus isn't a full mystery kid yet...Who knows, maybe he could end up being a Thunderbird to show off how the comic is serious business where anyone can die.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He's got that same disease as David Willis, where he can't give up his old characters because he's been with them so long.

At least he tries harder to move on, even if it doesn't work.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess he's at least willing to kill his darlings, but only onscreen.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That bit with the robot cop dating and having a bread fetish was good.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the plot's going fine for now, the biggest complaint I have at the moment is that for some reason the comic's been on pause for the last two weeks and the updates have just been promos for its upcoming card game. It's worse than those paper doll interludes.

The plot's been moving along, even if any sort of eventual conclusion is far away. It's no Sluggy Freelance.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly, the people of his Patreon should know his habits by this point, and if they want their money to go to somebody who'll update more than once a month, they should probably take their money somewhere else.

I forgot about Aaron Diaz for a few years. I'm not really angry at him. I hope if he wants to make a living with his comic he gets good at the key element of putting it out, otherwise I hope he finds good work elsewhere.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sluggy Freelance is a real wild ride. It can be fun when you're following it, but it's absolutely insane when you're trying to follow the long-running plotlines. It's like a soap opera with no editor. It's only really bad when it's going for wacky drama instead of wacky comedy, but I haven't been reading for a few years now, so I don't know how far it's gone down that road.

Did the talking sword ever get a ridiculous backstory? That seems like something Sluggy would do.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At one point, Kell quit her old hunting job where her old boss regularly cannibalized her coworkers in dilbert-style workplace jokes to start up her own hunting business, providing meat for grocery stores. She got the startup capital to do so from the secret rabbit illuminati in charge of all rabbits, because they wanted less competition for resources from non-rabbit species.

There was also a plotline real early on where Kevin's ex-wife got together with Kell's boss and then told him all the rabbit secrets to avoiding being caught and eaten. In order to hide her true rabbit nature from the world, she went through an operation to turn her into a rat, and started eating meat.

The most recent big crazy thing was right in the wake of Charlottesville, where after a bat and a hedgehog had a strange hybrid child with both quills and bat wings, and there was a neo-nazi hate march against them, complete with tiki torches, protesting mixing the races. They ended up being thwarted by a bunch of trees, as the hedgehog is well-loved in the plant world from her plant therapy business. There was also a thing where she collected a lot of the neo-nazis' saliva, did a DNA test, and then doxxed them by publishing their identities along with the fact that they all had some kind of mixed background.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well it's always been part of her, the last time it came up was when Baron Wulfenbach saw her at Sturmhalten, just it hasn't come up because the comic is always getting caught up in the little adventures unrelated to the main plot. It's not one of those Sluggy Freelance asspulls.

Now the asspull that I've been waiting for is the Circus of Payne and all those long-discarded side characters to show up, since Wooster sent them all off to England years ago.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I poked around a little, and put together some numbers. The comic spent:

6 months in Beetleburg
1 year and a little extra on Castle Wulfenbach
1 year with the circus
2 years in Sturmhalten
6 years in Mechanicsburg (3 in the castle)
1 year working out the 2 year timeskip after Mechanicsburg
1 year on the train and at the train depot on the way to Paris
2 years in Paris

Although the numbers before Sturmhalten are probably a little screwy from the fact that the comic was already published on paper before it went online. The writing has definitely been less tight, some of that is decay in writing quality, and some of that is probably just from the Foglios developing less of an attention span. They keep putting a lot of time and development into the arcs and characters unrelated to the central plot. They get caught up in introducing a new setting and the wacky new characters, who all have their own little stories spiraling outward into more settings and characters, and then jumping into a succession of multi-stage bossfights that take forever, and when it's all said and done, they're all left behind, probably never to be seen again.

I still like it, it's just less good without the main plot to hold it together. It's not like it's unusual for a long series to build up a big central plot and then spend forever on sidequests.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The comic wrote the mercenaries into too much success and now it's very clumsily trying to dismantle that success, and jumping between 3 or 4 mostly unrelated subplots to do so. None of the plots are really getting enough attention to get any good, and half of the main cast may or may not be dead so everything's resting on small clusters of newer secondary characters.

And then there's a fifth subplot of some kind of interstellar grand-scale murder mystery, but instead of really providing some kind of intrigue like a mystery should, it's just a bunch of pontificating about a total lack of information.

Maybe everything will finally be sorted out enough to make sense in a couple months.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the narrative's been able to scale down from being too big once or twice before, but they spent so much time on how they had infinity plus one money and had conquered death itself, and they had access to apocalypse level technology.

nimby posted:

I'm mostly confused about why there are galactic mercenaries in the first place. With the level of technology being what it is, the Schlock universe should be a peaceful utopia.

Or a hellscape run by AI or an AI-assisted regime.

Let me weave you a tale about a little thing called human nature...

Although offhandedly I'm not sure what you mean, they're not really in a post-scarcity society. They still get their food out of cans.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

I stopped reading it years ago after the whole Petey Entity and Gatekeeper War stuff where suddenly the koala AI was an unstoppable god-being.

Did things get walked back from that?

Mostly. After the gatekeeper war, he mostly went off to another galaxy to fight a war with mostly invisible antimatter creatures. For a while he'd show up every so often with his near-infinite power and muck around, but after a point, he got tied up enough in his offscreen war that he couldn't fool around in the milky way without it costing him in the war.

And of course, when he left the mercenaries were left with much less, so they had to go out and get employers and do jobs.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nah, I don't think it was Bang's pirates. Something would've come up one of the times that Bang and Zeetha met up. Bands of pirates are just one of those things that you'd expect to find plenty of in some kind of pulpy 19th century setting, just like lost civilizations full of beautiful women.

Of course what's annoying me now is that this current crop of eccentric academics and socialites seem too much like the academics and socialites that the story just left behind in Paris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I didn't notice that, although I wouldn't be too surprised if Youtube unboxers turned out to be reptilian creatures.

That Brexit tattoo though.