Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I dunno, this feels like such a complete jumping-the-shark moment to me. There's been so many teasers about Faye x Bubbles up to this point and it's always shot down emphatically. It became almost a joke at a point because it felt like JJ knew doing it would be complete pandering nonsense, and now it's....actually happening. Despite the fact that Faye has never shown any attraction to women of any kind, has a really serious history with personal relationships, can she not just have a close friend WITHOUT the baggage of "when are they gonna gently caress"? So few female characters in QC can be close friends without the hinting and teasing of getting together and now the best buddy duo in the comic is just thrown into the bubbling cauldron of "now THESE two are together for a year or two!" that QC has been riding ever since Dora and Marten got together. It's not that it's unreasonable that two people like this would develop romantic feelings or anything, but in this setting it just feels like yet another fan service grab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Dora relentlessly flirted with Faye for a really long time, Claire got with Marten almost immediately, Tai got with Dora pretty quickly. My point was that, except for Hannelore (and Emily but she's a minor side character), there's basically never been a female QC character that came in single and wasn't paired up almost instantly, and even though Dora x Faye was fun to watch, they've interacted very little recently. Faye and Bubbles had that fun partnership a lot but that's now gone from "playful hinting but shut down" to "no they're together now too". It's not necessarily a bad thing; it's just the exact same writing and world building QC has had for a decade but with different character archetypes, like a webcomic Friends.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

^ What the hell is the point of this latest plot line? I thought maybe a character would be killed or something interesting like that, but no, she just has a new body and it fEeLs WeIrD and I'm getting the super uncomfortable vibe that he's going for a trans person analogy. JJ has leaned pretty hard into the "the androids are like LGBT people in real life!" angle before and it's kind of gross.

Also what the gently caress is this.

If you told me my eyes would be tainted by awful new Mookie art yesterday I wouldn't have believed you.

eta:

Calaveron posted:

Which also served the purpose of stealing the spotlight from his wife's suffering

Also remember how she completely got over what very little emotion she had over her "great and terrible price" in, like, two comics? I don't even remember if she cried or was upset at all, it was just the big dragon saying "you will never bear children" and then the next thing was her going "yeah it hasn't hit me yet but whatever" and looking like she just smelled a nasty fart.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 21, 2019

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

The entirety of QC has been low-stakes people just coasting through their lives with very minor sci-fi elements, I don't know what's possessed you to think that'd change now.

Yeah, that's on me for expecting anything but the status quo. The only major things to ever happen in QC's entire run so far was, what, Faye's confession about her dad's death, Martin and Dora breaking up, and the Bubbles' memories plot line?

Kinda feels like a Steven Moffat series. The whole time you get dripfed bits that something pretty big MIGHT happen but then nothing ever does.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

GC for me was like the Steven Moffat of webcomics. I loved it for a very long time but eventually being strung along waiting for payoffs to threads that had been ongoing for years and years and being drip-fed new hooks was just becoming exhausting. After the Jeanne thing was resolved my interest just nosedived and I haven't read it really since then. If it resolves at some point I'll go read through and finish it; going through everything since then in one big chunk instead of three pages per week will be a lot more tolerable.

(yes I'm aware I have a GC avatar, someone cool bought it for me and I don't have the heart to change it)

^: This was also a huge factor in my tanking interest. Anthony is a poo poo person and after he showed up the constant "oh he's just ~quirky~, here's some backstory on him and how he met Surma" was borderline unbearable.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 30, 2019

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Jesus the bread thing is loving dumb.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I wonder if this latest arc is signaling the end of QC. Most of the main cast at this point right now seem to be at some sort of big life-changing event, add some closure to some of the side-arcs and minor characters and it'd be a good spot to end things on.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

God I loving hate Roko's accent.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

This dude is cute and I'd like to know where this is from, thank you.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Announcement: webcomics are over, because the Worst Panel Ever was released. Ugh.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

White Rock posted:

God, what is that word salad? Looks like he threw a thesaurus in a blender.

He has never at any point NOT written like that.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

That was from when QC was at the peak of it's "yeah, why not" weirdness. I prefer that to its current "modern life except when it's not" setting.

Remember when Martin's best friend used to be a secret agent? Remember Pizza Girl?

Yeah but then there was the whole invisible alpaca thing or "this side character is now having Serious Emotional Plot Time because another big robot dude just kinda tripped and fell on her and smooshed her with his butt heehee".

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Okay: This was some kind of manga-inspired mashup comic with an ensemble cast. I distinctly remember one of the characters being a Japanese idol android, and a couple :nms: where the man had this fetish where he would feed his girlfriend to excess :nms:. I think it was formatted into chapters with a kind less than obvious way of going through pages rather than the usual "<<first <last next> latest>>" link set that most webcomics used then and still use now.

Wait, this isn't that old comic called Uncle <Something's Something Something> or whatever where one of the characters was a very skinny, very effeminate guy who was a complete weeb who spoke broken Japanese whose boyfriend was a closeted Christian missionary, is it?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Renee proving yet again she's kind of an awful person in literally every story beat she's in.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Recommend me some good gay webcomics, I need something to read and I'm still pissed about how Beastars ended because I'm trash.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Gotta rep Sleepless Domain, although the romance is more of a subplot to the main story.

Yoooo this rules.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

SD also has a thread in this forum, in case you weren't aware! Because we took over this thread too much for a while.

Oh wow, I've been following her CagleCats Twitter account for like two years and I read Let's Teach English years ago and had no idea any of this was connected.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

Sleepless Domain is dope as hell. The death of the team right off the bat is such a wild clash with the Magical Girl theme and the bright colors. A+ work.

I watched and loved Madoka years ago and grew up on Sailor Moon so the whole "let's take magical girls and turn the tropes on their heads" thing is right up my alley.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I stopped reading the thread (and the comic) because it eventually just got exhausting. It's not even constantly reaching new heights of batshit terrible any more. It's just consistently, unrelentingly bad, and there's only so many jokes you can make about that. There are no highs any more, no roller coasters of emotions, just "...yep, this sure is Mookie."

Maybe I'm just too old and tired for mock threads.

And the constant, perpetual speculation and frankly creepy assumptions about his personal life and him as a person. That poo poo got the original DD mock thread closed, surprised it's gone on this long again.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's not, though? We (as in, the current DD thread) only look at the comic and the blogs he publicly posts. We're good about shutting down speculation about his family and never, ever touch the poop.

Two days ago you posted an edit that turned one of the new strips into a rape joke. Multiple people called you out on it but multiple other people thought it was funny as gently caress. Don't try and tell me that thread isn't a shithole.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm not going to look but let me guess, it was a rapehands edit? They were always the most vile part of the old Deegan threads.

Of course it was.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I've avoided Webtoon because the two comics I wanted to read were behind some weird loving paywall where you get one free one a day and it would cost like $30 to read the whole thing, and it was only 100 chapters or so and long completed.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

God the bread thing is stupid.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Jesus, some wierdo fujoshi creep talked to me like that I'd throw up on them. Watch JJ do the thing for the 150th time where he makes a character do something really lovely but then pulls it back the next strip after he gets called on it.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Well hopefully this gross creepy new girl fades into the void right quick.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Jedit posted:

I finally dropped QC last year. It stopped being good a while before that, when all the robot PDAs suddenly got humanoid bodies and Hannelore stopped being Hannelore.

Hannelore was such a weird character. She started out as a super cliche snarky sassy 20something, then completely flipped into a delicate, neurotic mess, then got written out for like two years and is now a weird half way between the two.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

eta: Seeing a bunch of comic artists I liked enjoying and supporting that on Instagram and such. Shame.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

A better solution is to just make him fall down a hole and then every other character forgets he exists and we never see him again.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

All the more reason to ditch the dumb ones like Pintsize.

Speaking of slice of life comics, there was one I read a long time ago that has long since finished that I'm trying to remember. The two main characters were a blonde woman who had an on again off again thing with a taxi driver, and her best friend was a heavier girl who worked at a flower shop and later on gets with an asexual British girl. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

That was it, thank you.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Or he pisses someone off and they just yeet him off a cliff and we never have to see him again.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Neito posted:

I got the Poisoning the food thing, but it seemed early on there was a thing about eating being at least semi-performative?

They do actually eat at the dinner party, the mask mouths open to reveal their real human mouths. Or whatever the gently caress they are or have become, because a normal human head wouldn't be filling up that giant mask as is shown from the exposed brain-like sections with Tom and Charlie.

Also, if you look at the officer's phone when Linda and Bob get red-statused, the numbers don't make sense. One of them is listed as 83 years old, 395 pounds, and over 11 feet tall. When Charlie was red-statused, his numbers looked perfectly normal. Maybe the numbers were counting Linda and Bob as one entity? Cut all 3 of those numbers in half and they're perfectly realistic.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 24, 2021

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

E:it stinks of being driven by asinine web analytics targets rather than artistic merit.

I really, really don't think it's based on nebulous "web analytics" bogeymen more than it's just based on Webtoons being mobile first and the whole continuous scrolling thing works a lot better up and down than side to side for reading on a phone with one hand.

There are plenty of webtoons that make use of the format, where having the continuous scroll rather than broken up panels means you can force the reader to pause for a moment before a reveal or to draw out an uncomfortable silence. Everything Is Fine has a lot of those. It's a control of the flow of time, which comics don't otherwise really have with panels and pages since it can be very hard to control paths of eye movement or how fast the reader goes. With Webtoons the reader is forced to go up to down at a relative pace, going from top to bottom. It does however lose the main advantage of panel/page based comics, which is the page turn giving a sudden shock effect.

Also, you can see when people step out of line their left eye turns red for a moment. I don't think this is the helmet/Big Brother asserting any sort of control or playing back a memory, I think it's a camera showing them their kids at that moment in some way. The more nebulous threat of "well make you see/remember what happened to your kids you know are already dead" doesn't make as much sense to me as "see your kids being happy and healthy out here? We'll throw them off a building if you change the subject." Sam/Maggie and Linda/Bob refer to their kids actively several times as though they're trying to see them again, whereas Charlie's meeting with the rebel woman refers to their kids as already gone. I don't think having it be as formless as "we just want to forget" would be a very good reveal (not to mention a complete and utter ripoff of We Happy Few) or motivation for the characters, who are willing to do terrible things to stay ahead in life. The looming threat of their children's lives is way more concrete and relatable.

There's also something going on with the characters being completely unable to acknowledge death in any way, except for Officer Tom. The most obvious was Winston, but in the little drawing Charlotte did of her and Charlie, there's an angel there too that probably refers to her mother/Charlie's wife. Charlie and the people around him never make any reference to this though. She had to have passed away before all of this stuff started, since we know it's only been a few years at most and Charlie wouldn't have that drawing otherwise.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Neito posted:

Sam as Tom puts something called a "Red Eye ban" on the other two that seems to physically in some way prevent them from reporting something. The mood Bob was in wasn't rational, so I doubt something like that could've stopped him

It didn't physically stop him. He still makes the call, they just shoot him down with a warning. Then after Sam/Maggie plant the body and hammer and tracker thing, Linda calls and gets shot down too.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

And now they threaten to sue people who dare speak critically of them or Homestuck or the garbage fires it was involved in.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I love when a comic puts all the worst characters into one thing so I know I can very safely just skip the next like two weeks.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

is this... just like general life advice?

More like passive aggressively bitching about QC. :v:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Every once in a while I think back on all the webcomics I used to read and check the website to see if they're still around to see some of it again, and so it was today that I learned that Misfile is still going. :psyduck:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Apparently the main story concluded in 2019 (which is still insane, considering it started in 2005) and is now on some side story. But god drat, there's still a new strip every single weekday. I was about to say I can't imagine there's much money in this anymore and how the author is still doing this, but then I looked at his Patreon. $555 (as of posting this) per page upload, which averages to $11k a month before chargebacks/fees/etc. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I think it's kind of sad that a point like "abusing your kid is bad" is "overanalyzing it" and "doesn't match the target audience". Like there's some brain-as-smooth-as-an-egg-shell takes about GK and webcomics in general but oh wow.