Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like Branson Reese's comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm afraid Shelley may be in a pickle.

Lift from your knees!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Somebody mentioned Unsounded a page or two back. I wished to share my opinion of it.

Unsounded is a webcomic where the story is designed for the artist to have fun writing it, often at the expense of the reader having fun reading it. It is pretty, however.

Thank you for reading this post.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you want webcomics to have better art then you should want the artists to do their webcomics more because that is practice that makes them better.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Burkion posted:

Sluggy Freelance would have a word with you on that

Sometimes they only get better at drawing comics that look exactly the same as what they already looked like. Generally speaking these are not the artists who chase art fads however.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gunnerkrigg Court is good, both in general and at this specific moment.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Red Metal posted:

well at least tumblr lets you tag things so you can read all of a single comic in a row, right?

right?

It relies on the poster to apply accurate tags to the posts. It looks like he has not done that yet, but it's still early enough that he might realize that he should do that and tag the comics that have already been posted and then continue to do that indefinitely.

If consistent tags have been applied, then it's pretty easy to see all the posts with a given tag on a given blog. You can even do this in chronological order, not just reverse chronological, I'm pretty sure.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Red Metal posted:

well at least tumblr lets you tag things so you can read all of a single comic in a row, right?

right?

Good news: Looks like he's gone back and tagged all the comics, and Tumblr has a secret chronological view feature. So if you want to read, for instance, all of Magical Merlin, you could open up the "magicalmerlin" tag to view all the Magical Merlin comics (unless he forgets to tag one), and then stick "/chrono" at the end of it to view it in chronological order instead of reverse chronological order, like this.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It seems it's never too late to decide you can actually try to improve.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

When are the big gal and the robot lady gonna gently caress

Sometimes I like to think about that plotline playing out with the robot not being humanoid.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Unsounded is a gorgeous comic, but I eventually dropped it because the story started to feel to me like it was designed to prioritize being fun to write over being fun to read. That's a bit of a vague thing to say but I stand by it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My first webcomic was "Triangle and Robert" and that was an absolute trip.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

This is good but kinda makes me miss Minus, which was much more to the point

Here, have Minus.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

Chapter 2 is twice as long as Chapter 1. Chapter 3 is only a little longer than Chapter 2, but it's clearly only the first half of an arc that would have been a single chapter. Chapter 4 aims to finish the arc started in Chapter 3, but meanders and is mostly about a new character the author is really excited about. By now the events of Chapter 2 feel mythological ages ago even though in-fiction it's only been half a day, so Chapter 5 is all about resolving the epic-feeling sub-plot of a sub-plot of a sub-plot that's become the entire story now -- and it's as long as the first three chapters put together. Chapter 6 started in 2015 and has four pages so far.

Until the last sentence I was going to guess Paranatural.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Frequent updates are good for retention: people come back regularly and make it a habit. Decompressed storytelling is bad for retention: people stop having fun and decide to come back at the end of the chapter, and then they forget to.

Chapters are a made-up idea that don't matter. The pace at which plot elements are introduced and resolved matters. My advice to you is to imitate Hergé - a cliffhanger on every page.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Have a main site for your comic. Make sure the main site has an RSS feed. Set up a a Twitter account and a Tumblr account, containing nothing but the comic itself and possibly very occasional ephemera such as sketches or reader answers (a rule of thumb is that you shouldn't post sketches or reader answers more often than you post the comic itself). Post to social media with whatever resolution is convenient, which may mean a thumbnail, but always always include a link to the real thing. If your comic has a sufficiently catchy name, use a hashtag for it on Twitter. On Tumblr, make sure every post with the comic itself is tagged with the name of the comic and with another tag that you use exclusively for actual comic updates. Retweet/reblog from them on your personal social media accounts if you have any. Depending on the audience you seek, a similar policy on other social media sites will be valuable; Facebook in particular is worth tapping if you seek general audiences. If you are making a stick figure comic with simple art, ensure that it is very difficult to remove your signature.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Oh yeah, have a Patreon too.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm pretty sure he's tagging them properly.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that Aaron Diaz could be a great cartoonist if he can recognize the need to defeat his ego, and then subsequently do it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pokey the Penguin still going strong.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Jeph figured out how to not hate his characters it's a goddamn shitmas miracle

fakeedit: Calling it now, next week is just going to be Steve eating cereal.

His problem was always that he liked his characters too much.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The comic is basically about cute budding romances and close friendships and overcoming minor emotional problems related to them. It's nice people being nice to each other while gradually developing the self-actualization needed to confidently smooch someone. With occasional genre shifts into light robot-lib speculative fiction.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Are they still on Namek?

No, they left, and have completed an entire subsequent arc.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here to celebrate the life of Webcomics and mourn its passing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you want a webcomic about goblins, I can think of nothing better than Goblins Goblins, a single-panel comic about two goblins contemplating the horror of their violent and miserable existence.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My dream webcomic would be a science fiction story with a carefully designed premise that is not pastiche and also with an ending.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I mean, who'd want to read a story about an insular subculture that fears the scrutiny of the mainstream?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nuebot posted:

On the third hand; I find it hilarious how mad people get about it and I hope they just get increasingly more arbitrary about chapter beginnings and endings.

The chapter divisions in Paranatural aren't arbitrary, is the thing: each chapter lasts one day. One extremely eventful day.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Elves deserve to be shunned.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Remember Boulet? I do.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that Jacques' reluctance to let his characters hurt is still preferable to whatever is going on with Willis.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think it would be good for him if he were to do cartooning and therapy separately, instead of combining them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's excellent, and, in a pinch, reading it can be used as a substitute for having a friend with major depression.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Depression is hard to live with and hard to witness. But you shouldn't try to argue with a disease.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Recently, I have enjoyed The Neighbors, a webbed comic about sinister body-snatching aliens living in disguise on earth.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Questionable Content is a heavily ideological comic. I don't mean that as a pejorative - it's actually a good thing for art to commit to what it stands for, and it's not like it's an evil ideology. But that means that there will be a subset of readers who interpret it in an extremely charged way. A difference of interpretation touched on a locally contentious issue, namely the representation of body sizes, and the artist, perhaps not fully realizing that was the story he was telling, was surprised to find himself at the center of the ensuing controversy, which is a difficult situation to endure under the best of circumstances.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Calaveron posted:

It is bland and dull and not really saying anything and it still nets the artist around 10 grand a month

Of course it's saying something. Why would it be a parade of scenarios demonstrating inclusivity, sex positivity, empathy, etc. if it didn't think all those things are important?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Playing with a transphobic meme like is dangerous. Out of context it sounds really bad.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Foglio art doesn't bother me so I've been enjoying Girl Genius steadily since before they went to Namek even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Try Supermassive Black Hole A*.