Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khorne
May 1, 2002

tetsuo posted:

Where'd you get that nugget of a first sentence from? On average, players are rated ~ 1600, men and women. That's the ELO system for you.
Men and women participating in the same ELO system can have different average ELOs it turns out. The average female player has a ~50 higher ELO than a man under some constraints. There's at least one research paper on it. You could argue it's because chess isn't a popular hobby for women and the type of woman to play chess is self-selecting to be better than the average man who plays chess. You could argue women develop faster than men, because I think the constraints were for players in school at some level.

I know there's a huge gulf at the highest level and specifically said it in my post.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Women may not be able to chess-dunk that much, but their chess-fundamentals are really top notch.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Khorne posted:

Men and women participating in the same ELO system can have different average ELOs it turns out. The average female player has a ~50 higher ELO than a man under some constraints. There's at least one research paper on it. You could argue it's because chess isn't a popular hobby for women and the type of woman to play chess is self-selecting to be better than the average man who plays chess. You could argue women develop faster than men, because I think the constraints were for players in school at some level.

I know there's a huge gulf at the highest level and specifically said it in my post.
I'm not arguing anything. I was agreeing with you in the main that the difference is likely not some lovely biotruth. Your edits lead me to believe this paper is youth or young adult focused, which tbh I'm not too concerned about. I'd still like to read it though; I can't find the paper but have access to every paywalled research paper site through my job if you do find it/remember it, hit me up.

I only linked the ratings table to show the gulf at present, not to say you didn't say there wasn't.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

tetsuo posted:

I'm not arguing anything. I was agreeing with you in the main that the difference is likely not some lovely biotruth. Your edits lead me to believe this paper is youth or young adult focused, which tbh I'm not too concerned about. I only linked the ratings table to show the gulf at present.
Yeah, the gulf is huge, and the only woman to crack top dude rating was Polgar before she stopped playing at that level. She was at the tail end of being active when I started following chess. She was at #8 on the top players ranking. And #1 woman by a crazy amount of points. If she were still playing she'd probably still be knocking on the top 10.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 18, 2017

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Klyith posted:

MLM schemes target women because women tend to have bigger and stronger social networks than men. It's a scam that parasitizes social networks, so it goes to the best host.

Cutco / vector marketing by comparison isn't really a MLM. It's a commissions-only sales scam rather than a pyramid scheme. Like, the way to make money with Cutco is to actually sell knives, not recruit other people to be knife sellers with the deluxe home business startup package. Men fall for commission-only sales jobs more than women.

One of the first "job interviews" I got out of school was with Axa Advisors. Commission only sales job slinging really lovely financial products.

In the interview, you get talked up about how good the money is, flexible the schedule, etc etc

I did some googling and it becomes really obvious how lovely the place is. You have to pay for space to rent in the office, for a computer and software only from them, pay for mentorship, etc

I went to the second interview anyways. One of the first things the dude asked me was to list all friends and family I could sell too. I just walked out.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I went to a big ol' MLM presentation once. Well. Not just once. My family were deep in their various grips, bouncing from one to the next. I never bought anything, but I sat through a few different ones just to get them off my back.

The last one was the most memorable.

They had the same presentation about their various double-diamond-superplatinum levels. And the cruises you could go on. The product is great - but, really, it's not about the product. What's really great is the cruise! Say it to yourself. You're going on the cruise!

Then they had a big screen showing their big concert-like parties. It's lot of fun being in an MLM, I guess. Kind of like being a fan of a rock band. Or maybe a cult. Then they played a celebrity endorsement. Famous guy up on that screen, telling us how great the company is. After the celebrity endorsement, the top MLM guy told us all, "See that? That's how you know we're legitimate. Sure, you could go home and 'research' us. But why bother? Don't you think he already researched us better than you'd ever manage to? You know what sort of people he's got working for him!"

That MLM scam was called ACN and their celebrity endorsement guy is the current president. I love our timeline.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Women may not be able to chess-dunk that much, but their chess-fundamentals are really top notch.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KMART THE MOVIE posted:

It's weird how it's the educational systems fault and yet... Men and women attend the same exact school and have the same education, but women are getting scammed at a MUCH higher rate then men....... Perhaps there are other factors involved here
yeah, like how they target women more in advertising

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

And yet Bitcoin participants are overwhelmingly men. :can:

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I went to a big ol' MLM presentation once. Well. Not just once. My family were deep in their various grips, bouncing from one to the next. I never bought anything, but I sat through a few different ones just to get them off my back.

The last one was the most memorable.

They had the same presentation about their various double-diamond-superplatinum levels. And the cruises you could go on. The product is great - but, really, it's not about the product. What's really great is the cruise! Say it to yourself. You're going on the cruise!

Then they had a big screen showing their big concert-like parties. It's lot of fun being in an MLM, I guess. Kind of like being a fan of a rock band. Or maybe a cult. Then they played a celebrity endorsement. Famous guy up on that screen, telling us how great the company is. After the celebrity endorsement, the top MLM guy told us all, "See that? That's how you know we're legitimate. Sure, you could go home and 'research' us. But why bother? Don't you think he already researched us better than you'd ever manage to? You know what sort of people he's got working for him!"

That MLM scam was called ACN and their celebrity endorsement guy is the current president. I love our timeline.

I think that Trump actually used to have his own branded MLM, it was called the "The Trump Network" but it doesn't seem to exist anymore and reading reports it seems to have gone out of business before he ran for president. Must have been during the Trump University era, bloody bizarre how these things end up.

MLM threads at SA used to be a lot of fun and I learned a lot about them, one of my mates fell for one but from reading the old threads I knew how to handle him. I knew that trying to talk sense into him would just make him not want to see me anymore and eventually he'll get to the point where he'll have to give it up (and it seems like at this point no one ever wants to talk about it again). Sure enough, after a year or two he stops talking about it on Facebook, removes any records from it, and quickly changes the subject when I ask him what happened. Seems like the cycle is pretty consistent.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
The girls chess league will start getting their numbers up now that they're letting Transwomen play. :thumbsup:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Women fall for these MLM schemes because they are the ones targeted by them. Men don't fall for them because they are not targeted.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
We all get scammed, it's just not as visible when you're not a SAHM in an MLM. My sucker moment was believing working harder at a corporation would lead to recognition or compensation, or believing that people are fundamentally good. See, we can all be a bit silly!

cnut
May 3, 2016

3 words: Lingerie Chess League

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Duckbox posted:

Lol, why would you have a Women's Chess League? Are the pieces too heavy for their delicate wrists?

Housewives got really into chess because they had nothing to do all day so to protect mens precious feelings from getting checkmated by bored housefraus they split it into mens and womens.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I remember reading somewhere that studies have shown men actually play better when playing against a girl..........

It's probably in that study the op was gonna post........ But since he's probated now I guess we are put of luck as they say......................

a star war betamax fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 18, 2017

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Does having kids make you stupid or do you have to be stupid to have kids? One of life's famous 'chicken and egg' problems

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Weed is the only good MLM scheme

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

univbee posted:

And yet Bitcoin participants are overwhelmingly men. :can:

I remember the story of a camgirl shunning away a bitcoiner by asking him basic economic questions he was unable to answer.

Pivotal Lever posted:

Weed is the only good MLM scheme

Hell yeah.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
My girlfriend is a lawyer for *Big MLM Company* and it's the one thing I cannot talk to her about without it becoming a big argument. Apparently their corporate staff are treated really well, have great compensation and benefits and are contractually prohibited from participating in any of their pyramid selling scams (they do get free samples though).

Her and her friends on the legal team are all career lawyers though, I don't think any of them are like actually in the cult, they just move between companies and that one happened to be hiring. If I bring up the Jon Oliver episode on MLMs are talk about "pyramid scams" in their presence they get really offended and talk down to me like I'm really in immature or don't "get it." They're all otherwise pretty normal lawyers, though and very nice!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I have a relative who does the R&F thing and they must be good at the scamming or whatever because they do alright monetarily it seems

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Ginette Reno posted:

I have a relative who does the R&F thing and they must be good at the scamming or whatever because they do alright monetarily it seems

It's typically ~1% or so that do end up doing well if they have a huge social network that they convince/scam into joining up. So it's not impossible that he actually got really lucky. If literally NO ONE had a chance to be successful, then their house of cards would fall apart. As long as there is a unicorn they can point to driving a brand new Lexus, people believe. It's still a scam.

Funnily enough I've unknowingly infiltrated a girls tupperware party before, as a guy. Girl I was seeing at the time dragged me to one. Thankfully she wasn't the one shilling the products but it was one of her friends. And I was told I was just going to a normal party where a bunch of her friends would be. Apparently the girl shilling it hounded her friends to bring as many of their other friends/acquittances to this party as well. "The party" was filling the whole house with the dumb MLM tupperware and booklets, and then watching the demos. I didn't buy any of that poo poo of course. There was just ONE other dude there. We exchanged sad looks.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 18, 2017

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Anecdotal evidence based entirely on my Facebook feed suggests women are more likely to shill for Plexus and Shakeology, while men are more likely to shill for Herbalife and ItWorks!

Also, OP sucks this thread sucks hth

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I would say this is a sexist assumption except as we speak all the women in my girlfriend's family are dumping tens of thousands of dollars into this poo poo to get "car qualified' instead of just buying a loving car, while all of the men in her family are 'doubters and cynics' because it sounds loving stupid.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

TsarZiedonis posted:

My girlfriend is a lawyer for *Big MLM Company* and it's the one thing I cannot talk to her about without it becoming a big argument. Apparently their corporate staff are treated really well, have great compensation and benefits and are contractually prohibited from participating in any of their pyramid selling scams (they do get free samples though).

Her and her friends on the legal team are all career lawyers though, I don't think any of them are like actually in the cult, they just move between companies and that one happened to be hiring. If I bring up the Jon Oliver episode on MLMs are talk about "pyramid scams" in their presence they get really offended and talk down to me like I'm really in immature or don't "get it." They're all otherwise pretty normal lawyers, though and very nice!

your girlfriend is a bad person if she is actually defending the lovely mlm company she helps gently caress people over

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Inept posted:

your girlfriend is a bad person if she is actually defending the lovely mlm company she helps gently caress people over

he did say she's a lawyer

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

You know what MLM scheme a lot of men get suckered into doing for way too much money?

THAT'S RIGHT.

:biotruths::c00lbert::siren:RELATIONSHIPS:siren::c00lbert::biotruths:

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TsarZiedonis posted:

If I bring up the Jon Oliver episode on MLMs are talk about "pyramid scams" in their presence they get really offended and talk down to me like I'm really in immature or don't "get it." They're all otherwise pretty normal lawyers, though and very nice!

lmao but it is a pyramid scheme. The fact that they get butthurt about it is, if anything, supportive evidence. They're obv trying to convince themselves they aren't defending a shithouse scam company when they are.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yestermoment posted:

You know what MLM scheme a lot of men get suckered into doing for way too much money?

THAT'S RIGHT.

:biotruths::c00lbert::siren:RELATIONSHIPS:siren::c00lbert::biotruths:

I wish I was at the top of the pyramid like Chad.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

COMRADES posted:

lmao but it is a pyramid scheme. The fact that they get butthurt about it is, if anything, supportive evidence. They're obv trying to convince themselves they aren't defending a shithouse scam company when they are.

everybody has something negative to say about pyramid schemes, but they seem to have worked out pretty well for the egyptians!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mozi posted:

everybody has something negative to say about pyramid schemes, but they seem to have worked out pretty well for the egyptians!

Ransacked by whites including having mummy unwrapping parties and having a totally dead language we've had to rebuild from half a surviving document, culminating in being the antagonists in an Assassin's Creed game. Yes, that's a great measure of success.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

call to action posted:

We all get scammed, it's just not as visible when you're not a SAHM in an MLM. My sucker moment was believing working harder at a corporation would lead to recognition or compensation, or believing that people are fundamentally good. See, we can all be a bit silly!

i guess you'll never be the head of that major corporation

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
At my previous job my poor as poo poo immigrant coworker got roped into a dumbass aloe vera mlm by the glorified secretary on front desk duty.
That old bitch had no issues exploiting an obviously vulnerable woman for profit, it was pretty sad.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

COMRADES posted:

Yeah, I think being condescending is just a basic lawyer defense tactic and they rely on most people being intimidated by them.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Are MLMs prevalent outside of America? They seem to prey on uniquely American traits

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

unpacked robinhood posted:

At my previous job my poor as poo poo immigrant coworker got roped into a dumbass aloe vera mlm by the glorified secretary on front desk duty.
That old bitch had no issues exploiting an obviously vulnerable woman for profit, it was pretty sad.

Maybe it was actually good jacking lotion. I'd join a MLM if it had good jacking lotion.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

call to action posted:

Are MLMs prevalent outside of America? They seem to prey on uniquely American traits

Theyre all over China, and most do their biggest business there now.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

call to action posted:

My anecdote doesn't happen in the US but yeah I hadn't seen any MLM irl or on social media before

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Theyre all over China, and most do their biggest business there now.

China is asia's America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

call to action posted:

Mlms are huge in Asia and Latin America

• Locked thread