Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Hello Pet Island

I have some concerns about my oscar fish that i've tried to google many times now without much success.

a little backstory, I had a 20 gallon fresh water tank setup for my daughter with some random $4 tropical fish for a year or so, one day while picking up food at the petco I saw they had a relatively large oscar in one of those generic like 15 gallon tanks with a hand written note that said free to good home. The fish barely fit in the tank, I dont think it could even turn around inside of there, one of the workers told me someone had dropped it off as it had gotten too big for their tank at home. I felt bad, made some calls, salvaged a friends 55galon tank and bought some supplies and adopted the fish.

Well about a year past and oscar just kept getting bigger to the point where the 55g now felt like 15g I found him in. I went to craigslist and found a real nice 90 gallon bowfront tank that had some minor scratches and what not but was cheap... bought all new filters to handle it etc. Its been about a year since then, I finally think hes stopped growing, hes huge now. Bigger than my 4 year old daughters head when she tanks next to the tank. He shares the tank with a pleco and largely ignores it.

In all the time ive had the fish hes not had many issues, once back in the 55g tank he got ick somehow (the pleco has been his only tank mate since Ive had him), but other than that hes been healthy, eats fine etc, a good fish.

A few months back he got a dull white spot on his forehead , between his eyes, maybe half an inch above them. It didnt look like ick, I watched it a few days and it slowly got bigger but he didnt burst out in an infection like ick... google just kept telling me it was ick. I went and got some melafix from walmart and treated the water with that and a few days later the spot cleared up.

Fast forward to the last few weeks and the dull patches are coming back much more frequently. hes in a large tank with a bucket filter under and a back of tank filter, and his only tank mate is the pleco, none of which has changed since the tank was setup over a year ago. I do regular water changes / vacuum the gravel and sand so I have no reason to believe the water quality is poor. Hes still eating, but you can definitely see a change in his behaviour when he breaks out in this dull patches. Hes a large black and red oscar so they stand out and are easy to see, they are always somewhere in between his eyes on his forehead, never more than one spot at once and never more than the size of a penny. They always clear up in a few days of melafix but , Im getting concerned that they seem to keep coming back now once the melafix has been worked out of the tank from water changes. (and its expensive to keep a residual amount in a tank that big).

Any idea what exactly it is? and more importantly whats causing it and how it can be prevented ?

edit: pics

two hazy white lines next to his eye, tho usually its a white roundish spot in between his eyes

Child for scale

Hi fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread