Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LLSix posted:

I moved to Decatur recently. Looks like we picked an exciting year. It'll be interesting living in a blue state. It seems like people around here are pretty conservative though. It's really shocking to hear Rauner talking about how terrible his state is. Does he not think that reflects poorly on his governership?
There's islands of blue and purple - Peoria, Champaign-Urbana, Bloomington-Normal, Carbondale, Quad Cities - basically all the mid-size cities and university towns. But most of downstate is both rural and Republican. It's like an extension of Iowa.

IIRC, Decatur is particularly red, because the only university of any size is the tiny Millikin, and it's mostly been defined by agriculture and ADM.

http://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/map/president/illinois/

Growing up around Chicago, and now living in Blo/No, I have found that the Chicago/Downstate divide is way more bitter than any left/right divide in Illinois. Folks around here across the political spectrum just can't believe that Chicago provides more money for the state than it spends, and dumping on Chicago is a winning strategy no matter which party you're from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Oracle posted:

I've lived in both areas of the state and while in Chicago noone spared a thought for anyone downstate. South of I-80 might as well not have existed. Most of their ire/dumping was reserved for suburbanites who dared claim they were actually from Chicago when they were from like, Schaumburg.

Downstate Christ, its like a jealous ex who moved back home and constantly keeps tabs on what could have been, exulting in every problem and setback and grumbling about every success and how it'll personally cost them.
Yeah, part of the problem is that downstaters know that folks in Chicago and the suburbs spare nary a thought for the rest of the state. :)

I mean, I hardly knew that Bloomington, IL existed until I started at IWU.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bird in a Blender posted:

Chicagoans don't even vacation downstate, we all go to Wisconsin and Michigan. I think that giant cross outside of Effingham (I think that's where it is) scares everyone off.
Mostly vampires

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Oracle posted:

Starved Rock is more west than south.
It's neither? It's north-central, smack in the middle between Quad Cities-Chicago and Rockford-Bloomington. It's only "west" relative to Chicago, and South relative to ... well, techncially it's south of I-80 by a mile or two, I guess? It's not even as far south as Kankakee.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Carlton Banks posted:

I'll never regret moving away from Illinois, except every time I crave some horseshoes and remember it's not a thing in other states :(
Ask for a cheeseburger and fries and tell them to gently caress it up.

"Horseshoe" is a bullshit poor excuse for local cuisine.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dexo posted:

look how many motherfucking carbs can you load onto this plate and cover in cheese and meat for me.

(I am not a big fan of horseshoes, and was confused when my girl had me try one since I hadn't after living down here for a year or so)
I've lived here 20 years and have had two, including from some place in Peoria that was supposed to be great at them.

I think one a decade is plenty.

gently caress that noise.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Heath posted:

Peoria is quiet and boring. Rent is cheap. The food is great and generally cheap. Everyone who lives there hates everyone else but all share a mutual and unified hatred of Chicago, as is the purview of all down-staters.
Seems about right.

It has more cultural options than you might expect, too, and it's not dreadfully far from Chicago and St. Louis.

I live in the municipality next door (Bloomington/Normal) and usually like Peoria when I visit. The folks there remember that it used to be a more important city than Chicago, so have some civic pride.

Either place, don't let them trick you into eating a loving Horseshoe.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Trevor Hale posted:

When I went to school in Galesburg, Peoria was the big city to visit when you needed to impress a date. And that is both sad and heartbreakingly sweet. When I hear "Don't Look Back in Anger", I think of Peoria.
One of my buddies is a music prof in Galesburg. :)

And really, you could pick worse places to see a show. I grew up near Chicago, and it's just more convenient to get around Peoria. I've seen many a show over there.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

I haven't watched it, but the Trib is pretty much saying that Ives crushed Rauner in their debate yesterday. I guess that is going to be the only Republican debate before the primaries. I doubt it makes a difference though, unless Rauner is really hated that much by Republicans.
On and off I hear about the abortion thing, but my sense in Republicanland is that nobody is really that upset at Rauner, save activists.

Then again, they're the ones who vote in primaries so who knows?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It's certainly ONE way for Ives to get her name out....

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

I really don't want our politics to turn into the billionaires only club.
You might want to sit down... I have some bad news for you.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

There aren't that many billionaires in politics. Sadly, I am willing to live with a millionaires only club.
Oh, you were talking about the actual candidates. Yeah, those are mostly 'mere' millionaires. But every billionaire I can think of is extremely active in politics; they just don't actually run for anything. Sorry about that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lager posted:

I'm in the 18th, but in Bloomington so bordering Davis's district. He is pretty much awful and I hope one of them can knock him down just so I don't have to hear his whiny bullshit on WGLT every other loving day. I listened to the debate the other night and have to say Ebel and Jones seem best. Jones particularly, if only because Ebel seems more concerned with bipartisanship for its own sake. Sides seems super lefty, but came off as a kook. She gave what is probably the worst debate performance I have ever heard in my life. She seemed confused the whole time. And yeah, Londrigan seems like the least inspiring candidate in the race.

Hey fellow BloNo goon. I'm in Normal and have been gerrymandered into LaHood's district. Davis is maybe vulnerable but drat, we're stuck with LaHood forever I think.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
That's a pretty wacky poll. I am not sure how Biss's name on the ballot would depress Republican turnout. Their support is even from voters.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow, and I thought it was a little weird that all the Democratic gubernatorial candidates seemed to be running against Madigan more than they are against Rauner, already.

e: Those are incredibly gross mailers. Ugh.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I admit I haven't been paying much attention to the gubernatorial primary, so I listened to a debate the other day. I about lost it when a dude started talking about splitting Illinois into 3 states.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

brugroffil posted:

That guy owns and I'm voting for him for every office
Yeah, when he was talking about legalizing weed, I was like "okay yeah, I dunno if it actually solves all our financial problems, but sure."

When he got to the "you don't have to deal with Madigan because *poof* now he is in another state entirely!" I was ... taken aback.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Uroboros posted:

Thanks again for suggesting good information sources.

I still feel super ill-informed when it comes to commenting on the state's budget problems, but I am doing my best.

When it comes to the Governors race I automatically feel my lip curl when I see commercials for Pritzker, despite knowing almost nothing about him, I am just inherently mistrusting of mega-wealthy running for public office.
As you should be.

But still, come November, there'll be a billionaire who's already wrecked the state, versus - maybe - a billionaire who hasn't, and is at least saying the right things.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I went for Biss and Fairley, myself.

I am in the Republican cesspit of the 18th district, though, so for congress I only got to vote for someone who will eventually lose to Darrin LaHood, even in a blue wave election. My choices were between "Dude who always runs but never wins," "Actually a Republican," and "Dude who doesn't seem to even be running and who might be on the ballot by mistake."

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

dominator posted:

Republican turnout is apparently really bad so far which is bad news for Rauner.
There were Rauner signs suspiciously near to my polling place. The workers thought they were barely legal and around 100 feet away but who even knows.

I will laugh and laugh if Rauner loses though. gently caress that guy, I want him humiliated.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

twice burned ice posted:

From Kennedy's website:

"Chris Kennedy believes that we should legalize marijuana and broaden access to medical marijuana. He believes we should decriminalize marijuana and not prosecute and overcrowd our jails because of possession of a modest amount of Marijuana"

Wrt Biss, is no one else put off by his abandonment of Ramirez-Rosa over BDS?
Good to know.

And it's a field of imperfect candidates. I don't care who's nominated, in the end. I'll vote for pumpkin-head, biss, Kennedy, whatever.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

twice burned ice posted:

Well when you put it that way... I may just vote for Robert Marshall and his three state solution. (not really)
Okay he's probably the exception. Forgot all about him.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
All hail governor pumpkinhead I guess

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

vyelkin posted:

Rauner-Ives is 52-48 right now, that's a lot closer than I would have predicted
I'd say "close, but Rauner wins" is the best possible scenario for ... well, Pritzker I guess ... come November.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Rauner's people have to be piiiiisssseeed right now. He's going to win, but goddamn 52-48 or 51-49 is an embarrassing show of no-confidence for a sitting governor.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

DalaranJ posted:

This Junius Rodriguez guy is so uninspiring. We are completely screwed, per usual.

Real fun feeling to know that the guy who tried to pass a bill that would kill me will have a nice long career.
Yeah. I mean, it's nice that LaHood has an opponent, but I'm pretty sure Rodriguez got like 25% of the vote last time he ran.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zarin posted:

We had a ballot option referendum thing (yes/no) "Do we want to move from an elected auditor to an appointed auditor" and I really didn't know how to answer that one.

Is one option considerably better than the other?
An elected auditor is more independent and serves at the will of the voters. They are accountable to the public, which is a good thing for an auditor to be.

An appointed auditor can be fired by the people they are auditing. This is a bad thing.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
JB, you have my vote, please send me the $120 instead.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I dunno, our house has Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Plex with :filez:

I go weeks without seeing a TV ad unless football is on. Like I literally never saw a Pritzker or Rauner commercial, much less anyone else.

Also, lol, Ives hasn't called to concede yet.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

withoutclass posted:

http://abc7chicago.com/amp/politics/group-pushes-for-state-of-illinois-to-secede-from-chicago/3566099/

I know they're phrasing it like Illinois needs to get away from Chicago but isn't it more likely to benefit Chicago?
Uh yeah. Remember The Map? I think it's in the OP now.

Chicago and the 'burbs are sending more money to the state than they get. And there's a string of counties along the I-74 corridor that can say the same.

Nail Rat posted:

Roll downstate into Indiana but give Chicago (now Illinois) everything in the "Region" up to south bend. Everyone's happier imo.
This Normal resident would not be. :(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

mastershakeman posted:

If there's a policy that could drive Jim oberweis out of the state I'm 1000% for it
One of his combination burger/shake joints opened up in town here.

Those are some monstrously overpriced burgers, I have to tell you.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The Town of Normal's official position is now "gently caress off, you fat orange fascist."

Yeah it's kinda on the late side, but I'm glad to see it publicly from my mayor anyways.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah. I'm just saying rauner is gonna keep getting over ridden so either way the same budget should get passed. Rauner sucks but jb is running just like Hillary did on look at the other guy!! (I say this because I don't believe for a second he's sincere about anything concrete he's put out, which is admittedly a strong platform )
:goonsay:

"One guy is awful and promises to keep being awful. The other guy may or may not be awful, and promises to do some good things. Gosh, how am I to possibly pick between these two things?"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
For real. A few hundred people in Florida, and we would have had a President Gore instead of the skin-suit full of wasps that we ended up with for 8 years.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Big Black Dick posted:

lmao The Perfect Candidate™ doesn't exist. The logical extrapolation of a two party system is literally picking between the lesser of two evils. No one is ever going to tick all of everyone's boxes. That's how democracy works you clod.
No no, a vote is a precious and pure kernel of true democracy, and if you sully it by voting strategically, it's basically a murder and you are a murderer.

Just like virginity you see.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I won't vote for him but I'd take a wad of cash.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hoooly poo poo. This race is considered at least somewhat competitive, too.

"The Field Director for U.S. Congressman Rodney Davis was arrested last night for aggravated battery at a campaign event for Davis' opponent.

According to Lt. Brian Oakes with the Springfield Police Department, the report stated that Levi Lovell was shoving people at a fundraiser for Betsy Dirksen Londrigan at a bar,  JP Kelly's in Springfield. Londrigan is Davis' Democratic challenger in the 13th District race. Police say Lovell was putting his cell phone in other peoples' faces and identifying himself as someone who worked for Davis... "

It goes on from there.

http://www.wglt.org/post/congressman-rodney-davis-field-director-arrested-aggravated-battery#stream/0

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lager posted:

Oh poo poo, that's crazy. I'm in the part of Bloomington that's in the 18th, LaHood's district, and we're not remotely competitive, so I've been living vicariously through the 13th race.

Funny seeing this right after 538 posts their house model.

Edit: hahaha, reading it over more it sounds like the guy got drunk and decided to go try and catch Londrigan's people saying embarrassing things on tape...by loudly announcing that very intention. James O'Keefe, Jr right here.
Yeah I'm in the part of Normal that's in LaHood's district, and it sucks we'll never get rid of that fucker.

I'm hoping Londrigan can unseat Davis, but loving downstate Illinois, man. I mean we're running Rodriguez for the, what, twentieth time or something?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm moving to that guy's district in a few weeks, so as long as I can get that done before October there'll be one more vote against him.
I'm in neighboring LaHood's district so I need to content myself with hoping Davis loses. Thank you for doing your part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
When I'm not watching the Bears predictably crap the bed and snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory, I am usually streaming TV from the various cable channel apps on my Roku. Up until recently there were vanishingly few political ads.

And now I have that wretched lady saying stuff about how she just can't afford another dime in taxes, and lying about that car mileage thing, and how she'll move out of the state (good riddance). And miserable Diana Rauner just completely ignoring how her billionaire hubby decided to bankrupt the state for a few years in order to break unions.

Political ads are the worst.