Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
woops
https://capitolfax.com/2018/02/05/fbi-recording-catches-pritzker-joking-with-blagojevich-god-drat-america/#comments

quote:

“I’m sure you thought of this one, but Jesse White,” Pritzker tells Blagojevich. “Even though I know you guys aren’t like, you know, bosom buddies or anything, it covers you on the African-American thing.” […]

Pritzker notes that elevating White to the Senate would open up another appointment for secretary of state, an office coveted for its patronage jobs. “It’d be a lot less pressure on you. You don’t have to put an African-American in that spot,” Pritzker says. […]

“All I would say is I think that there need to be more, you know, people of color that serve in public office,” Pritzker said. “I mean, I think that’s something, I’ve supported a lot of candidates over the years who are people of color and Jesse White’s, I think, a beloved person in the state of Illinois, so I can only imagine that’s what I had in mind.”

Blagojevich: And how about this one? God, if I knew for sure I wasn’t running again…

Pritzker: Yeah.

Blagojevich: How about Rev. Wright?

Pritzker: Oh, my God! [Both laugh] Bill Ayers!

Blagojevich: How about f-ing sending Rev. Wright there? I’d bet ya he’d take it.

Pritzker: Hilarious.

Blagojevich: Huh? Would that be f-ing funny?

Pritzker: Hilarious. Oh my God. [Both laugh]

Blagojevich: Yeah. [Laughing] Right there on the Senate floor. It’s not ‘God Bless America,’ it’s ‘God drat America!’

Pritzker: God drat America.

Blagojevich: ‘Well now, when Barack was in Sunday school, I used to tell him’…

Pritzker: That’s funny.

not a big deal but it's gonna blow up with huffy journalists talking about how offensive that is

edit:
https://twitter.com/MaryAnnAhernNBC/status/960955989334872064

somehow rauner is going to end up winning from all this. unreal

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Trib story on that newly released audiotape also has some interesting stuff on the top three Dem candidates' efforts to woo black voters.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think the recordings are that bad. Sounds like the stuff you'd expect to hear when people talk politics. But if there are more tapes and they keep slowly getting released, I think that becomes an issue for him. Then people start asking why he was talking to Blago so much and just how close was he to him.

In other news, Raila might be thrown off the ballot. I read that you need more signatures to run for this post than the Governor.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-cook-assessor-ballot-20180205-story.html

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

These tapes make me want to vote for JB even more

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I don't really like the idea of JB sitting around discussing the Senate appointment with Blago given all the felonies surrounding it, but JB has a legalize it ad so

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Niwrad posted:

I don't think the recordings are that bad. Sounds like the stuff you'd expect to hear when people talk politics. But if there are more tapes and they keep slowly getting released, I think that becomes an issue for him. Then people start asking why he was talking to Blago so much and just how close was he to him.

In other news, Raila might be thrown off the ballot. I read that you need more signatures to run for this post than the Governor.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-cook-assessor-ballot-20180205-story.html

Well this would be good for Kaegi, since there's less likely to be an anti-Berrios split.

The Prtizker stuff mostly just seems like "guilty by association" for talking with Blago. I don't think anything he says in there is really damning. My biggest concern is that Rauner has some big bomb he's sitting on waiting for Pritzker to win the nomination.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

The Prtizker stuff mostly just seems like "guilty by association" for talking with Blago. I don't think anything he says in there is really damning. My biggest concern is that Rauner has some big bomb he's sitting on waiting for Pritzker to win the nomination.

Yeah, it's this. It's a couple of people steeped in Illinois politics talking shop. And not even a "locker room talk" kind of way.

At the time, Blago was governor and while insiders knew the sleazy poo poo he was up to, the general public wasn't tuned into it until the marshals started knocking on his door.

Sure, it looks awful in retrospect but nothing was illegal or out of the norm at the time.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

from the AP:

quote:

Democratic Illinois governor candidate J.B. Pritzker is apologizing for racially insensitive comments captured on a FBI wiretap between him and then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

Pritzker said Tuesday he regrets portions of the conversations recorded during a decade-old investigation of Blagojevich, who’s now imprisoned for corruption.

Pritzker is heard suggesting Blagojevich appoint Secretary of State Jesse White, calling him the “least offensive” African American.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Willa Rogers posted:

from the AP:

This is the part that I think impacts him the most. Nothing in there suggests corruption on any meaningful scale, but he sounded like an rear end in a top hat. I'd wager this hurts him more in the primary than anything else, I don't know that it'll have the kind of impact Rauner hopes.

It makes him look tone deaf and ignorant and makes me dislike him more, but I wasn't planning on voting for him in the primary anyway.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lager posted:

This is the part that I think impacts him the most. Nothing in there suggests corruption on any meaningful scale, but he sounded like an rear end in a top hat. I'd wager this hurts him more in the primary than anything else, I don't know that it'll have the kind of impact Rauner hopes.

It makes him look tone deaf and ignorant and makes me dislike him more, but I wasn't planning on voting for him in the primary anyway.

I think this is the relevant point of the Trib story I linked to yesterday:

quote:

In the 2018 governor’s contest, the major Democratic hopefuls are white, and each has picked an African-American running mate. The campaigns also are mapping out themes largely focused on issues plaguing minority communities, such as vows to improve educational and economic opportunities and stem gun violence and crime.

The importance of the black vote can’t be understated. In the March 2016 presidential primary, exit polls conducted for TV and cable news networks found African-Americans made up 28 percent of the Democratic vote in Illinois. It was that group’s overwhelming 70 percent support for former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton that made the difference in her narrow 2-percentage-point statewide win over Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders.

This time around, the governor’s contest has its own set of circumstances involving the core Democratic constituency. Voter turnout generally falls off in non-presidential years — though the party has been riled up by Republican President Donald Trump — and questions remain about whether significant enthusiasm exists for black voters to go to the polls. It falls to the candidates to provide that motivation.

Biss, for one, has already slammed Pritzker for the remarks with Blago, and given that Kennedy is almost singly focused on appealing to black voters he's prolly running with that too.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I'm hoping for a Blair Hull thing here with Pritzker. Hull, in 2004, had way more money than anyone else, ran ads way earlier than everyone else, had good polling numbers because he was the only one advertising for months, but it all came crashing down a couple months before the primary because of past scandals. I don't hate Pritzker, but I really don't want our politics to turn into the billionaires only club.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

I'm hoping for a Blair Hull thing here with Pritzker. Hull, in 2004, had way more money than anyone else, ran ads way earlier than everyone else, had good polling numbers because he was the only one advertising for months, but it all came crashing down a couple months before the primary because of past scandals. I don't hate Pritzker, but I really don't want our politics to turn into the billionaires only club.

I'm really glad I'm not the only one making this comparison.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

I really don't want our politics to turn into the billionaires only club.
You might want to sit down... I have some bad news for you.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't like the billionaire thing either but the other candidates are bad. Kennedy is against legalization and Biss thinks we're getting $10 billion from a financial transaction tax. Pritzker seems like the safest bet and his policies are in line with what I want.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

You might want to sit down... I have some bad news for you.

There aren't that many billionaires in politics. Sadly, I am willing to live with a millionaires only club.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

There aren't that many billionaires in politics. Sadly, I am willing to live with a millionaires only club.
Oh, you were talking about the actual candidates. Yeah, those are mostly 'mere' millionaires. But every billionaire I can think of is extremely active in politics; they just don't actually run for anything. Sorry about that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lager posted:

Oh come on. Not even White gave a poo poo about that conversation.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Oh, you were talking about the actual candidates. Yeah, those are mostly 'mere' millionaires. But every billionaire I can think of is extremely active in politics; they just don't actually run for anything. Sorry about that.

Oh, yea only candidates. I completely understand that every billionaire in the world is trying to influence our politics in some way.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Honestly any billionaire that actively gets into politics is an idiot and/or really vain

If I was that rich I would never ever want to be in elected office. I can pay others a pittance of what running a campaign can cost. To do my bidding.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Is there any semi-unbiased source for information on congressional primary candidates? Specifically district 13 since that's where I'm at and Rodney Davis is a twat and I'd really like to elect someone who can beat him.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

There's starting to be some fallout due to those Blago-Pritzker tapes.

From the Sun-Times:

quote:

A campaign worker for J.B. Pritzker resigned on Tuesday as fallout continued to hit the front-running Democratic candidate for governor over his comments denigrating several African-American politicians during an FBI-wiretapped 2008 conversation with then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

“I will not stand by a candidate who feels that way about Black folks,” staffer Kina Collins wrote in a Facebook post Tuesday afternoon.

“I withdraw my support and endorsement for him as Governor. I apologize to my community for being apart of the campaign, but when you know better you do better,” Collins wrote. “I promise to do better!”

From an editorial in the Daily Defender:

quote:

To Black people, this conversation reveals how some of us are viewed as being “safe” and “conformative” versus others as “militant” and “threatening.” How the privilege and entitled have these conversations everyday—changing the democracy of our nation while viewing us as “useful” for a limited time. On the other hand, it drives home how much our vote matters in putting someone in office. We also have a track record of just how much our community will forgive but not forget. Let’s see how this pans out for Mr. Pritzker.

Also I saw a new Rauner ad today about the tapes; Blago's telling someone (??) that Pritzker offered to raise a half-mil for him in exchange for the Senate seat. It's Blago, fwiw, but it can't be helping JB.

eta from a Trib story:

quote:

The revelations about Pritzker’s conversation with Blagojevich produced no large-scale defections from the candidate, whose willingness to use his personal wealth to self-fund his campaign has resulted in the Democratic establishment coalescing around him.

But three aldermen from the Chicago City Council’s Black Caucus issued a statement saying they were “disheartened” by Pritkzer’s comments to Blagojevich. Roderick Sawyer, Carrie Austin and Dowell said in a statement that they still believe Pritzker is the best positioned to become governor in November but added that “J.B. and all white political leaders must stop looking for ‘safe’ or ‘palatable’ black figureheads, as he apparently sought to characterize Jesse White.”

The three aldermen said they “will maintain our support for his candidacy. But we will also look for clear assurances that his thoughts around matters of race and equity have evolved substantially since those calls were recorded in 2008.” Austin, a co-host of a scheduled Friday rally for Pritzker on the South Side, said she learned Tuesday that the event had been canceled but said she was unaware of the reason why.

vvv Who is? The dude Blago was talking to back in 2009?

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 8, 2018

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Prob a Rauner plant

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The real problem for Pritzker is that he can't even state that there aren't worse tapes ready to be dropped.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Where did these tapes come from? FOIA?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

brugroffil posted:

Where did these tapes come from? FOIA?

someone inside the FBI is sending them to rauner. i 100% believe he's got a bunch more to drop on pritzker come november

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

That doesn't seem extremely shady at all

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Devo posted:

Is there any semi-unbiased source for information on congressional primary candidates? Specifically district 13 since that's where I'm at and Rodney Davis is a twat and I'd really like to elect someone who can beat him.

Hey Devo. Here's Ballotpedia's entry on the various candidates

Article on the recently-held Dem candidate forum from WILL Public Radio

Here's a story about Jon Ebel. He favors moving towards single payer healthcare and more funding for college, former Navy Intelligence, Religion professor from UIUC, relatively unknown, white male. Wants to move back towards 'bipartisanship.' Has 75k on hand as of this article, $206,000 total to date as of Feb. 3rd

Angel Sides is a dark horse candidate, substitute teacher and campaign volunteer (Sanders, Durbin, etc) running from Springfield. Very liberal, no political experience. Popped up out of nowhere at the Dec. filing. Hasn't raised enough to bother filing anything as of Feb. 3rd.

Erik Jones is a lawyer from Edwardsville. One of the two favored to win. Jones is a former policy director and assistant attorney general for the Illinois Attorney General's Office. He also served as counsel to the House Committee on Energy & Commerce and Oversight & Government Reform. He also worked in the Senate, serving as deputy general counsel and chief investigative counsel for the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce. Endorsed by the League of Conservation Voters. Raised $353,000 total as of Feb. 3rd. Favors a Medicare for all kind of buy-in.

Perennial also-ran David Gill, a doctor from Champaign. Mostly healthcare focused. Smart enough, says the right things but this'll be his sixth loving time challenging for this seat, give it a rest, dude, the people have spoken and they say 'meh.' (He did come within 1000 votes in 2012 and blamed an independent liberal candidate for his loss then). Raised $70,000 so far but only has a few thousand in the bank as of Feb. 3rd. Repeal and replace Obamacare with nationalized health care proponent.

Betsy Dirksen Londrigan is the establishment Dem choice and the other favorite. She was a fundraiser for Dick Durbin and her experience here shows in her numbers. Declines to come right out and support single-payer, wishy washy on 2nd amendment, etc etc. Endorsed by Emily's List and Dick Durbin if that means anything to you. Only distantly related to Everett Dirksen the Republican House member from the 60s who the courthouse in IL and Dirksen Bldg in DC are named after. Raised $237,740 as of Feb. 3rd

I'm personally leaning towards Erik Jones in this one, mostly because Londrigan leaves a bad taste in my mouth (typical Illinois politics bullshit) and the others feel like vanity campaigns (as tempting as Ebel's platform is). Also having an experienced investigative attorney on hand on the Dem side with upcoming investigations into Republican malfeasance will definitely come in handy.

brugroffil posted:

That doesn't seem extremely shady at all
Welcome to Illinois; you must be new here!

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

I'm in the 18th, but in Bloomington so bordering Davis's district. He is pretty much awful and I hope one of them can knock him down just so I don't have to hear his whiny bullshit on WGLT every other loving day. I listened to the debate the other night and have to say Ebel and Jones seem best. Jones particularly, if only because Ebel seems more concerned with bipartisanship for its own sake. Sides seems super lefty, but came off as a kook. She gave what is probably the worst debate performance I have ever heard in my life. She seemed confused the whole time. And yeah, Londrigan seems like the least inspiring candidate in the race.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Our Revolution, National Nurses United, and MoveOn.org have all endorsed Biss in the gubernatorial primary.

The BGA did an investigative story on Pritzker's charitable foundation and comes to the conclusion that it was a way to repatriate his inherited wealth and not pay taxes (and the story hints at his using his charitable trusts to buy political leverage and endorsements):

quote:

Pritzker’s largesse is a major selling point of his bid for governor. But a Better Government Association examination shows that charity comes at little real cost to the candidate himself but considerable expense to federal and state treasuries.

Records show Pritzker has funded his charitable giving almost exclusively with inherited proceeds, much of it filtered through offshore tax havens and then deposited in a tax-exempt nonprofit he controls, the Pritzker Family Foundation.

The result is that Pritzker’s philanthropy, and any accolades that go with it, have been bankrolled with what is essentially found money. He did little to earn the proceeds and paid no taxes on the bulk of it before giving it away.

Records of Pritzker’s foundation from 2002 through 2016, the latest year available, suggest a distinct overlap between his political aspirations and his charitable giving.

Pritzker has been a major donor to the two presidential campaigns of Democrat Hillary Clinton and served as national co-chair of her failed effort in 2008. In 2016, he was a Clinton delegate to the Democratic national nominating convention.

Meanwhile, Pritzker’s foundation has donated at least $17 million to the Clinton Foundation, the global charity run by Hillary Clinton, former president Bill Clinton and their daughter, Chelsea.

In 2012, Pritzker’s foundation gave $250,000 to a charity run by Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White which provides scholarships and tutors for at-risk youth.

White was the first statewide office holder to endorse Pritzker’s run for governor and starred in a Pritzker campaign ad in which the secretary declared “JB’s the one I trust for governor.”

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
He's running these legalize it ads nonstop now lol. I think he knows it's going to take a hail mary to get out of this one.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean we blacks do love our weed.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lager posted:

I'm in the 18th, but in Bloomington so bordering Davis's district. He is pretty much awful and I hope one of them can knock him down just so I don't have to hear his whiny bullshit on WGLT every other loving day. I listened to the debate the other night and have to say Ebel and Jones seem best. Jones particularly, if only because Ebel seems more concerned with bipartisanship for its own sake. Sides seems super lefty, but came off as a kook. She gave what is probably the worst debate performance I have ever heard in my life. She seemed confused the whole time. And yeah, Londrigan seems like the least inspiring candidate in the race.

Hey fellow BloNo goon. I'm in Normal and have been gerrymandered into LaHood's district. Davis is maybe vulnerable but drat, we're stuck with LaHood forever I think.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

considering I live in a market that is already being inundated with IL politics ads despite the fact that a good 2/3rds of the viewing area has no interest in IL politics: are there any challenges for Mike Bost? a guy I used to play HS hockey with ran against him last time and lost, which I didn't like.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

A crooked billionaire? Say it ain’t so. Yeah I’m coming down on the Biss train. He’ll drop his dumb tax and come around on legalizing pot and taxing the poo poo out of it and if he’s smart send all the proceeds to paying off all the pension and debt obligations.

Who’s everyone want for AG? I’m leaning towards Renato but that’s just because I appreciate his ability to explain complicated legal poo poo in a way I can understand without making me feel dumb (his twitters a pro follow FYI).

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Go Boss go

Did anyone ever figure out why Lisa stepped down for AG?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

brugroffil posted:

Did anyone ever figure out why Lisa stepped down for AG?

Isn't she the frontrunner for Durbin's seat in 2020? Have to figure the old man will be close to stepping down by then.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

goddammit Democrats this could have been the easiest gubernatorial election ever but

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

goddammit Democrats this could have been the easiest gubernatorial election ever but

Should've been a tipoff when all the state's heavy-hitter elected Dems came out for Pritzker.

Oracle posted:

A crooked billionaire? Say it ain’t so. Yeah I’m coming down on the Biss train. He’ll drop his dumb tax and come around on legalizing pot and taxing the poo poo out of it and if he’s smart send all the proceeds to paying off all the pension and debt obligations.

Who’s everyone want for AG? I’m leaning towards Renato but that’s just because I appreciate his ability to explain complicated legal poo poo in a way I can understand without making me feel dumb (his twitters a pro follow FYI).

Renato looks good. And just lolol that Pat Quinn's running for the office.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Wasn’t there some progressive website that usually endorsed good progressive candidates? I can’t remember what it was called. Something like Illinois Progressives, or maybe it was the Progressive Democrats of Illinois. Someone, maybe Willa, used to talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/JGibsonDem/status/961647210382462977
stop me if you've heard this one before