Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Hey, goons! It's been a long drat time since I've been in TG, but I've returned bearing something potentially wonderful or at the very least O.K. I've spent the last five years— as inspiration and opportunity have permitted— working on my roleplaying setting METAL WORLD (yes, spelled in all caps). I come to you, my fellow goons, to see who among you would be interested in playtesting the rules. After all, however many sessions I run, I'd encounter two problems. First, I'd be running for people I know in person so there's the bias of them possibly not wanting to be brutally honest if something's bad. Second, I know what I wrote and what I mean, but I want it to make sense to others as well. Based on the feedback I get from Facebook, here, Reddit, and wherever else I get it I'll revise the current manuscript (including polishing up the layout) and conduct more testing. Once the game's ready to go, I'll Kickstart its heart and hopefully become an honest-to-Dio game publisher!

Inspired by the sort of fantasy artwork I won at pop-a-balloon carnival games (particularly including Boris Vallejo's Kalevanpojat), I set out to make a world where the amazing was everyday and the things that would impress the people therein are awe-inspiring, like the Dracano. What's the Dracano? Why, it's a volcano made of dragons that shoots lava and more dragons when it erupts! The guiding principle of METAL WORLD is: It doesn't have to make sense. It just has to be awesome. A corollary is that the guiding measurement of anything is "as ____ as it needs to be." Anything you'd see in a Dethklok video or a Ronnie James Dio-related album cover, anything you'd see in a Frank Frazetta or Boris Vallejo/Julie Bell illustration, or just anything that would elicit a "Hell, yes!" can and does coexist in one world. Barbarians? Of course! Warlocks? Sure! Radioactive zombies? Yeah, why not? Cyborg centaurs, where the horse part is normal but the person part is basically a Terminator? They're called Centrons! Once you send your enemies to Hell, you can go there and see them. This is because Hell is a physical place you can go to like Wal-Mart or the DMV, but slightly less miserable because of tours guided by the MegaDevil himself, who's taken up microbrewing as a hobby but still dutifully sees to the torment of the damned. The Neon Knights guard the nation of Prismatica against the forces of The Black as the Silver Mountain stands tall in the distance. Captains are always at the helm to sail across the Sea of Light, but if they make it around to the Midnight Sea something might be down there and brother, it ain't you.

Interested? Good! I've got a playtest kit available via my Google Drive. It has the rules system and a few adventure skeletons along with enough other information that playtesters should have enough to go on to get a feel for the setting too but not so much that I'm giving away the store before it's even open. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to give this labor of love a shot and tell me honestly what you think of it as a game. I think I've made a great setting, but I don't want it to be like HOL in terms of not really being a playable game despite being an absolute blast to read.

Edit: :siren: METAL WORLD alpha test Take 2 is up! :siren:

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I'll give this a read through. I went looking for an RPG in this exact niche a while ago and came up empty, so I think there's definitely potential. I might ask, how married to the METAL WORLD title? Because X World games tend to be Powered by the Apocalypse adaptations (Apocalypse World, Dungeon World, etc).

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'll give this a read through. I went looking for an RPG in this exact niche a while ago and came up empty, so I think there's definitely potential. I might ask, how married to the METAL WORLD title? Because X World games tend to be Powered by the Apocalypse adaptations (Apocalypse World, Dungeon World, etc).

At this point I'm pretty much committed to it. Yes, I've heard of Apocalypse World, though I'll grant I hadn't heard of Dungeon World. Fun fact: there's actually a small continent in METAL WORLD specifically for dungeon crawls, where the dungeons somehow respawn everything as soon as everyone leaves!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Has anyone given this a look yet?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Reading it now, definitely my jam

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

:siren: METAL WORLD alpha test Take 2 is up! :siren:

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I am definitely down for this. No matter the model you use, you're gonna get my money eventually. I'll try and play test and do a more thorough read later, but I'm sold.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I am definitely down for this. No matter the model you use, you're gonna get my money eventually. I'll try and play test and do a more thorough read later, but I'm sold.

Now that's the kind of feedback I like to hear!

Seriously, yeah, if you can do a live playtest that would be outstanding. It's one thing to get feedback based on a reading of rules that can look good on paper, but to actually use them and see how well they work run by someone who isn't me becomes a whole other world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Here's an idea I'm toying with. Should using magic require a Good Thing or should it be a skill like any other except it costs double? That way it wouldn't eat up a spellcaster's initial Good Thing slot, allowing him to have some other defining characteristic other than "wizard" while allowing the double-cost skill to reflect magic use being a big deal.

• Locked thread