Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Problem description: This is really two issues, so please let me know if I need to make two threads.

I recently hosed up and had to reinstall Windows 10 (Education Ed.) from scratch. I have 3 user accounts on the computer, 1 Administrator and 2 Users, none of which have Microsoft accounts linked to them, and they never will. I'm using the Administrator account to set up permissions for the other two.

I would, however, like the Start Menu to look the way I want for this account, and some Settings in the Settings app are greyed out, with the message on top, "*Some settings are hidden or managed by your organization."

I'm also trying to set the folder permissions so that User 1 has read and write permissions to User 2's C:\Users\ folder, and in try to give User 1 those permissions, it repeatedly tells me "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied." It says right in the same dialogue that I have read and write permission for everything in C:\Users\User2, so I truly do not understand, and every fix on the internet also brings up this error.

Attempted fixes: A page on Microsoft's support forum suggested disabling the Group Policy that forbids toast messages from the Start Menu. Bizarrely, this fixed a cosmetic issue in the Settings app (Strings seemed to be mis-mapped, leading to fun links like "Want to help make Windows better? Mixed reality."), but I still cannot change certain Settings.
I'm hesitant to try the fix where I change ownership of a file from 'Administrators' to specifically my Administrator account, because that's screwed over my permissions stuff before? Not sure what I did wrong there.

Recent changes: A hard shutdown zapped something and Windows could not boot ("NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM"), or recover itself using boot media. Had to do a clean reinstall of Windows. chkdsk says the harddrive is fine though.

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 10, 64-bit, Education edition. Got all the latest updates.

System specs: Toshiba Satellite L840D. It's in its maintenance years but I don't think it's done just yet.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Sounds like a failing harddrive, CHKDSK doesn't check drive health, just the layout of filesystem data. Post a screenshot of the Crystal Disk Info (standard edition portable ZIP doesn't have anime or ads) window for your system drive. If it shows Caution or Bad that confirms the harddrive has failed and will need to be replaced.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hi Alereon,

First off, thanks for taking a look at my thread. :)

Here's the screenshot from Crystal Disk Info:

It says everything is 'Good', but unless I'm reading those numbers incorrectly, everything is over the 'threshold'? I can post the entire dump if that would help.

e: also I don't remember it being such a weird size, huh

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 21, 2017

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The harddrive at least looks fine, the SMART attributes start from 200 or 100 and count down as errors are encountered, once they hit the threshold the system reports a failing drive. Did you previously have the same account/permission setup?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yes; the only difference was that previously, my admin account had been around since I used it as my account in Windows 7, and had been brought over using the in-place upgrade.

• Locked thread