Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
In response to the guy who commented on the metroid counter and how it was done "better" in AM2R, Metroid 2's presentation was no different from Samus Returns. It showed you the total number of metroids on the main screen but allowed you to see how many were left on the pause screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Watching people blind-play Super these days the one that strikes me as the most egregious is the missile block from the elevator room to reach Kraid's section of Brinstar. No indicator, map didn't reveal stuff behind it for a hint, the other areas until then (charge beam for example) have been telegraphed, and there's an elevator right there so you're not going to consider it unusual that it's the end room for that area. We're all used to the game so we've internalized that spot to the point of "it's obvious" but there's nothing actually pointing at it or that has yet encouraged the player to bomb every corner just in case. And it's a full-stop on gameplay too; unless you're doing a Hell Run (which is definitely unintended) then the rest of Norfair is locked behind Varia, and anywhere else you could go is locked behind the rest of Norfair.
When I was playing the game for the first time as a kid, I thought the way the wall broke up the pattern it had going, in order to place 3 square blocks at the end of the room, was supposed to be a hint, especially since it was basically player height. It was. They never actually hide important things in "impossible" ways, and for the things that you can't see, that's what they made the x-ray scope for.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Doesn't the map show a room next to that one, though?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

It doesn't work vertically
It works in all directions as long as the spider ball is engaged

GulagDolls posted:

yeah it wasn't frustrating in this game. it's just kind of weird. like I think you could have a metroid game, without the blowing up rocks part, but blowing up rocks is considered integral to the series 4 some reason
Ok, then how do you hide stuff and generate a sense of exploration and discovery without resorting to only invisible walls and putting things up somewhere you can't reach until you get the right doodad? It would feel kind of empty.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I don't know why they'd "keep" scans, those were in prime only. They've never been in a single 2D metroid. It doesn't really go well with 2D games either.

On another note, the tracks in this game are little "remixes" of the tracks in the original Metroid 2. If anything, they've added more music by making the 100% atmospheric tracks into hybrid atmospheric and musical, while all the musical tracks got a bit of atmospheric addons. That and some other things though, really make me feel more like this is a 2D primeish kind of game than a straight played "regular" Metroid game.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Maple Leaf posted:

:siren:Update:siren:

Episode 5: The Ultimate Problem

Apparently the drive I've been saving (but not writing) my files to is starting to tank, so tell me if there are any visual or audio errors that I might has missed.

Metroid 2 definitely does do that. The big open rooms and their respective obstacles and rewards are pretty much copied from the original game's layout. In general, a lot of the map is laid out like the original with only minor changes for the linearity or adding something new.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Well, you can always substitute ice+missile combos. It's probably even faster than waiting for a melee counter.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

The melee counter only does its thing with the click noise and the big white flash coming before the attack.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

It's weird, because I'm pretty sure the whole point was that the matured metroids lost their ice vulnerability, with the only tradeoff being they weren't completely invulnerable to everything else anymore. I guess someone forgot and nobody reminded anyone.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Return of Samus -- same reasons as NES really. There's one part in the mid-endgame where it's very easy to lose track of where you've been and where metroids could still be hiding.
What? The game was linear as hell and as long as you toured around every single area systematically you'd find everything with no effort. Plus, pretty much every area that would contain a metroid had a big metroid shell sitting right outside the section. It's way, way simpler to find your way around than the first game.

Rather, it makes more sense to rate it low because it's too confined and you never have a reason to look around here and there.

Cheez fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 12, 2017

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Maple Leaf posted:

In Odyssey's case, I'm not upset that they exist - I'm upset that they're better. I could climb this pole with the press of a button, or I could wave my arms (or, specifically, my right arm) like an orangutan to climb faster.
Tap Y to do the same thing. Most stuff that has motion controls clearly listed has an alternative, usually with the Y button. Other than those and the few exceptions, the only things that seem to be motion controls only are hidden abilities that don't show in the onscreen control text.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

liquidypoo posted:

Good to know the king of missing the point is still dedicated to his craft.

Oh yeah, I'm totally missing the point by saying the motion controls aren't necessary to do any of the things he's talking about with the same efficacy. What the gently caress is wrong with you? What's wrong with ANY of you? You all seem to be infected with the same disease of being unable to parse anything with sense in it.

Actually I don't know what's worse, how completely dense you're being or that you jumped in to take offense for someone else.

Cheez fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

WFGuy posted:

No, they were specifically trying to fight without doing that. Because it's more fun to do it that way than to just deny half the fight.

MonsterEnvy posted:

But it's not denying half the fight it's making it slightly easier.

I feel like none of this matters when the fight is already being dragged out by refusing to use missiles outside of counter scenes. I don't think you're actually expected to be challenged by the fight outside of the first time you encounter the pattern(s), and using the weak uncharged ice beam and no missiles is creating artificial difficulty.

• Locked thread