Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Thanks Ice Phisherman, because of your writing I ended up staying up until 5am, I hope you feel happy about that. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Maybe the thing happening with Marco and Fuzzy could be related to animal spirits? Not sure what exactly, but maybe fuzzy somehow manages to see one for the first time? I'm not too familiar with SR lore, so I'm just spitballing here.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I think Marco should help Fuzzy find Jesus, because that would make for an interesting and hilarious exchange.

I don't feel like he'd do that, as using your time helping someone learn, who clearly has no frame of reference for it, to evangelize feels pretty scummy. The impression I've been getting is that he'd probably rather give Fuzzy an introduction to the concept of religion without explicitly trying to convert.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Would it change the math significantly if we sneaked up, got a surprise hit in on one of the two bangers and tried to intimidate the other two from there?
A solid hit to the balls plus the new guy bailing might turn this from a 3v1 into a 1v1, which is a ton easier.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

I'd rather not blow our element of surprise to try talking (or yelling, or whatever). If we're sneaky enough, we can land two hits and drop the two true believers with a quarterstaff to the balls or whatever before they even get a chance to react, and then the new guy can either run away or try and take us on. But focusing on just one dude and giving the other two time to get their bearings seems really dangerous.

Also, yeah, trying to film them and threaten them with the video seems like a whole bunch of rolls that could go wrong, I'd rather leverage our good sneakiness to get in a free whack or two. Besides, they're Humanis scumfucks, they deserve their teeth kicked in.

Where do you get the second surprise attack from?

Ice Phisherman posted:

She can either sneak and get a surprise attack or run up on them and try to overrun them.

I figure we should use our surprise attack to get one of them as close to knocked out as possible and then follow that up with some intimidation, I doubt we can take both guys out in the surprise round.

I agree though that trying to record sounds like a bad idea considering our stats.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

I dunno if we'll roll well enough to get two, but apparently it's possible. Also, even if we just get the one dude, we should at the bare minimum keep up the momentum and get the other Human Nation guy before trying to intimidate the new guy.

Ah, skipped over that then. My suggestion definitely wasn't intended to mean that we would stop at one attack if we get two, rather to focus our assault on one guy, then try to intimidate and hopefully only have a 1v1 to mop up.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I agree with the surprise attack, but once they are aware of us after backstabbing one of the gang members we should intimidate the poo poo out of them.

We are a young girl dressed in loving rat leather with multiple knives. We have seen some poo poo in the barrens so we imitate some of that. We should be giggling maniacally and ask if they could spare some blood for our tea party or something that would throw off any normal person.

I totally dig this.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Ice Phisherman posted:

Cyberpunk which we're focusing on tends to focus on the high tech low life. People rebelling against a wildly corrupt and oppressive system. Corporations and governments use technology not to uplift, but to suppress and the high tech low life uses the devil's tools against them. Normally these would be shadowrunners, but I think that we've sort of lost the plot by only for working for Mr. Johnson and not working for the people. Punching upwards, doing more damage to yourself to damage the powerful that is, to me is what Shadowrun should be about.

(Sorry if this ends up being a triple post, phone posting is making this more difficult than it should be)
You know, one campaign theme I would really like to run at some point would be to have the players be a group of anti corporate terrorists that are driven by the desire to tear down the corporate power monopoly. I think it would be a fun experiment to explore what kind of ideology they would develop and how it would fit into the SR world. I'd imagine it would be about bringing back states as the principal actors and restore popular rule, but how could they try to accomplish this, how would they be utilized by other corps to get them to target their rivals, would the corps permit them to actually have much of a real effect even on one city as that would expose how lovely their system is etc.
I'd imagine that if the players were successful then at some point they would transition to a system where they administer the new city state and only occasionally take action themselves and have to deal with more geopolitics, like trying to avoid being completely embargoed by the megacorps, finding allies of opportunity and trying to shift opinions abroad about them.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Ice Phisherman posted:

That seems pretty high level stuff for me though. I want to keep the story grounded at least a little. Power creep ruins stories because a story can become too big to connect to. One of my favorite movies, Wreck-it-Ralph, was just about a video game character fighting in an old rear end arcade. Crazy low stakes to the viewer but all or nothing stakes to Ralph. I like keeping stuff low stakes, or at least if it gets high stakes making what we're fighting for deeply personal so we never abandon that connection.
You know, that's a good point, maybe in order to keep it more grounded you'd start out with introducing a neighborhood in one of the sprawls and make it about cleaning it up, getting rid of the gang bangers, drug pushers etc, that would probably inevitably bring you into conflict with the corporations that supply them or profit from their existence so that you could slowly up the ante while still having the neighborhood and its residents as a way to bring it back down to earth after higher stakes action. So in the end you might get more powerful, but the motivation is still to keep your friends save, make sure the old lady next door gets her insulin regularly and people are able to walk the streets at night.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Hmm, I'm fine with playing any of the three, but I think I prefer playing Fuzzy some more.
Also, I think she knocked at Marco's (switched later) door, as he is big and patient.

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 1, 2017

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm thinking we go crying to Mother Bear if she's around. She gets us. She's probably one of the very few people on campus who really gets what it feels like for us to have our weapons taken away.
yeah, I can dig that, I'll switch my vote to Mother Bear

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh, invisibility, definitely. Good for starting combat off right, good for escaping quick if things go wrong. Plus, if we ever get expelled and have to go back to the Barrens it'll be incredibly useful for hunting.
:same:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

1) Overwhelmed and validated now, which turns somewhat sour later on when someone explains "going viral", but overall still somewhat positive
2) a 4 maybe? Julian knows how to cut deep
3) no to a weapon, Julian knew about the spellbook, so he'll also know about whatever weapon we'll get

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

What the hell is going on with us :stare:
It looks like the dust is what enables Edward to alter his appearance into kenji's and part of the method to create the second personality and hide the original one, apparently the mask literally cracks though in moments of panic or similar.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Also Fuzzy and Sasha are super cute together. That's the important takeaway from all of this. :colbert:
And yet you don't show us, you monster :argh:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

OK, so kenji needs to use the first directive to overwrite the second directive in order to get rid of Mario. Classic Asimov action.
So he needs to not lie in a way that puts the guy at risk. I assume the ACHE has nothing like law enforcement that could crack down on him? Are there any rival drug pushers that could reasonably off him without threatening his mother and Clever's operation in the process or is Mario under Clever's protection?

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 4, 2017

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Hexenritter posted:

poo poo rolls downhill, AKA hierarchy of priority. Protecting mom is highest priority, and if the fulfillment of a lower priority directive would violate this highest priority directive, the higher priority directive wins out.

or something

Yeah, that's what I was getting at, we HAVE to put someone mom cares about in danger if we would have to lie as the alternative, so my thinking was that if we could find a way to get some bangers to ask us for Mario's location or similar, because in that case we can't lie (not sure how much the second rule would force us to deflect, but clearly we can rules lawyer with ourselves, as evidenced by the cookies)

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

CourValant posted:

Yeah, somethings not quite sitting well with me on the interpretation of these directives.

Mario's been dealing to Moms for quite some time, and this recent OD (something tells me its not her first time) definitely puts her in danger. So, if stopping her from taking drugs doesn't constitute 'protecting' her, where exactly does that line get drawn? Knife to the throat, versus, not putting on sunscreen?
I'd assume it's because protecting mom and the people important to her is done in the same directive. If it was
2. Protect mom
3. Protect the people close to her
Then it would be easy peasy, but Edward is an idiot who can't write clear directives and you can't break the directive to follow the directive I'd venture.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

jagadaishio posted:

I don't think the directives have a hierarchy like that. They're numbered, but not in a way that trumps each other.

That's why I think he lost that dust when he found out about Edward's mother. She'd come to harm, so he failed at a directive, so he took the damage.

I think trying to rules-lawyer his way out of his personal ruleset will just destroy him.

quote:

He was losing valuable chat logs, but those were at best a directive five or six orders and so they were being overridden. Protecting Edward's mom was directive two right behind the order not to lie. 

They absolutely have a hierarchy.
I agree that your option is also a possible way to go, but the impression I've been getting has been that mom's addiction is making that impossible.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzzy and Sasha's dad going hunting for the first time should be interesting.
Marco trying to evangelize momma bear would also be a good read.
Sasha coming out to her parents might also be good. Maybe written from her mother's perspective.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Not emptyquoting

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

CourValant posted:

So, full steam ahead on Plan: Mount Marco then? :)

I'll vote for Plan: mount Marco instead.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

It's not Christmas without a rendition of Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol, so clearly we need Christina to star as Ebenezer Scrooge in a private production courtesy of Fuzzy, Kenji and Julie (plus friends).

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

CourValant posted:

This is brilliant. A High School production of A Christmas Carol for the Holidays.

Except Fuzzy has to play Ebenezer Scrooge as 1) its the main character and 2) she's there to learn the true meaning of Christmas.

The rest of the cast:

The Ghost of Christmas Past - Momma Bear
The Ghost of Christmas Present - Some other teacher
The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come - Julian
Bob Cratchit - Marco
Tiny Tim - Kenji
Jacob Marley - Christina
Fan - One of the other mean girls
Belle - Sasha, duh

I'm not proposing they actually put on a play, I'm proposing they prank Christina for being an awful person using the fact that ghosts spirits and magic is actually real.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Also Edward's mom is Christina's older sister. Yup.

I've considered the same, but I think it's unlikely, the age difference between Christina's sister and Christina would be massive. It's not impossible mind, but I feel it's more likely that Edward got into contact with Christina's mom in some other way.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzzy: shocked but not surprised, the strong prey upon the weak in the ACHE the same way they do in the Barrens
Sasha: Horrified disbelief that a Corp would sink this low, but accepting the fact that something really messed up happened to Kenji/Edward
Julie: I'll go against the grain and say that she's genuinely empathetic, for one because she knows Kenji at least somewhat good enough to be able to repress the kneejerk "Elves are all liars" reflex, and two because I think she recognises the victimisation that they were both subjected to:

quote:

She didn't have it in her to say that looking at his aura reminded her of being choked by her father in her hospital bed.
Marco: Helpless rage

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Split the difference: Watch the video and use your one-liners as you watch it happen. Since you know you'll watch it several times, you'll get to use them all.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

VanSandman posted:

I think Julie will stay near the Tex Mex restaurant. It’s hard but it feels like home. I imagine she’ll try and learn more about her hispanic heritage as well as her current heritage because it’s something she desperately needs, though not in the toxic way her father needed it.
Hm, personally I'd go the opposite way. Clearly her family didn't try to stay in touch while Julie was in prison, otherwise she'd know how her abuela is doing. They probably also didn't believe her after her father's death, as they clearly hate and blame her, remember this from her introduction:

quote:

Tried as an adult for second degree manslaughter. No visible wounds to speak of. After all, bruises are the least of what one goes through when goblinizing. She'd killed her father. Guilty on all charges. She didn't fight a one of them though her public defender told her that she had a serious case for getting off the hook. But what was out there? More pain? To see her family and their hateful eyes stabbing her with accusations? No, she didn't want that. She just wanted to stay here and be forgotten. Too scared to live, too cowardly to die.
gently caress them.
I think this is when Julie not only finds a home but also a new family, one of her own chosing now, as well as a purpose. This is why I'd say she sets up her clinic in the south, closest to the people that need her most. I figure she will try to finally reject her family for good and build her new life here.
She will also try to make it work with Marco, even if he does leave at the end of the year, so no to bailing.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

CourValant posted:

Huh? Did we leave things awkward between Fuzzy and Ratman? I thought the last time they spoke was during the first Fuzzy post, when Julian recruited her?

The bridge between Julian and Fuzzy presumably.
But yes, we don't need no comlink, we can just go where we always go to meet him.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Ice Phisherman posted:

All right. It looks like the votes are in. Use as many casters as we can get our hands on. The roll to use the hospital excluded Fuzzy though as they needed to cast at force five to include another sicker person. This is a hospice after all.

It looks like Jagadaishio mentioned how we should tackle Octo's presence. He's going to make as much hay from this as he can, but it will manifest in a strange way.

We don't need to use Christina's method, though she is now extremely interested in talking to Kenji.

Writing now.

Personally I'd like to know at least what Christina is offering and what she wants.
We don't need to take her up on it, but we should at least inquire to see what she is up to.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

re: initiation I'd say we mix shame and healing karma, maybe Julie is able to confront part of her self-loathing and learn something about herself that lets her heal?

re: Marco I'd say Julie takes away that Marco is lonely and tries to break through to him more aggressively (inevitably misstepping at some point)

re: Julian I think that it depends on the initiation and what she experiences there, it would probably make more sense to ask after that.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Yell for Mrs. Maureen, take a bit of time to pump Fuzzy for more information. Yell at Fuzzy that there's no time to explain but for seriously weird magic reasons we're from the past and she has to tell us what happened. Don't take more than a minute or two before running off to find Mrs. Maureen. Sling some stunbolts at the pigs if we can spare the attention, try and ease up the pressure on our newfound friends. That would hopefully reduce the chances of Mrs. Maureen getting into serious trouble and also if the rioters see us helping them we might have an easier time getting to her (they're more likely to listen to us yelling at them to move out of the way as we beeline to her if they like us).

This pretty much, the reason is wibbley-wobbley-timey-wimey. Though I'd say we try not to get involved in the melée, getting our temper up about the violence happening around us is probably going to complicate leaving.
Maybe more concrete questions to ask:
Fuzzy:
Which LeBlanc turned?
Where did you find the evidence that started this?

Edward:
Why did you delete Kenji?

With regards to the broader question of Julie's role I'd say it's something along the lines of "Protect and save lives", which so far she has been doing by using her magic to heal, but seeing this possible future she may have to use violence as well.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

jagadaishio posted:

All of FutureFuzzy's pain links back - somehow - to Sasha's Fuzzy-coupon to win one argument.

I thought it was rather obvious that Sasha used the coupon to force Fuzzy to let her kill herself. We did after all vote that both of them take the coupons very seriously.
What else would Fuzzy be this obsessed about that she keeps the coupon always on her person?
Also:
Julie can now win one argument against Fuzzy

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

pay off the criminal SIN later, get shielding, maximise spirit buddy

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Ice Phisherman posted:

criminal kin slayer

I chose to read this to mean that she slew criminal kin and this makes her a hero :colbert:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

CourValant posted:

Kenji and Christina: Been wondering what the back end was on that 'deal with the devil'? Although, we only owe her for the lead, and not the cure, right?
We won that info fair and square, Kenji doesn't owe Christina anything.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

How about this: Julie summons a spirit that takes the look of her father and acts like him, just without the racism. She was daddy's girl her entire life, so it's born from those positive experiences before she goblinized.
If she can't have a real family, she'll just make her own :colbert:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Dog Kisser posted:

That seems a lot unhealthy!

Because Julie is all about those healthy, wholesome choices? :P

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I think it's time to specialise Fuzzy some more, and I think we should emphasise her Stealth and Survival skills, as that's where she already has solid skills in.
For that purpose I'd propose we pick up Stealth as our next spell

quote:

Stealth makes the subject less audible to normal and augmented hearing. The subject moves in silence, making less or no noise. Things not directly touched by the subject can still make noise, so a character under a Stealth spell would make no noise knocking on a door, but the door would make noise hitting the floor or wall if it was kicked in.
between stealth, improved invisibility and her sneaking spells Fuzzy should become very adept at remaining unnoticed.

I'd propose the following for Fuzzy's Karma:
10 Karma mentor spirit (wolf)
4 Karma Etiquette 2
4 Karma Animal Handling 2
4 Karma Counterspelling 2
1 Karma Or'zet 1
This plugs her etiquette hole a little, develops her magic further and improves her ability to train Puppyy.

Wolf seems like the mentor spirit that most suits Fuzzy's character to me, while still giving solid mechanical bonuses. I'd have preferred a more stealth focused mentor, but the trash panda is more aligned towards thieving and rat is cowardly, which doesn't jive well with Fuzzy. Wolf on the other hand gives 2 free levels of Attribute Boost (Agility) as an adept power and seems to be pretty much right up Fuzzy's alley narratively:

quote:

Wolf is recognized as a hunter and warrior worldwide. He is devoted to the other members of his pack. As the ancient saying goes, Wolf wins every fight but one—the one that kills him. Wolf magicians are loyal to friends and family unto death. They do not show cowardice in battle, and their word is their bond.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Ice Phisherman posted:

Just so you know every time we take a class the magical skills associated with them go up karma free. This is just part of going to school. Looking back, Fuzzy should actually be at ritual spellcasting and counterspelling 2 as well. If we wanted to get to level 3 before year 2 we could do that, but we'll get level 3 for free come year 2 and so on and so forth. All the kids on the island should be at rating 2 for spellcasting in their first year. Julie will always be a step ahead as a prodigy so she's at 3 for spellcasting skills and by the end of the year summoning skills too. Fuzzy could've been at rating 2 for summoning skills but she's focusing on being an adept. Adepts don't tend to advance at the same rates as everyone else because they're jack of all trades casters. So if she wants to catch up she's going to need to spend karma on summoning. She could bump summoning, binding and banishing for 4 karma each or take them as a skill group for 10 karma. This means that she could stay with the class come year 2, or she could focus on being an adept again as there's only so many free skills for being a student that I'm willing to give.

So in short, that's my bad on the counterspelling and ritual casting. She should be a 2 for all of her spell stuff. It's difficult to manage so many sheets.

In that case, if you'll allow going 2 karma into debt, I'd change counterspelling 2 to etiquette 3, so that it comes out to
10 Karma mentor spirit (wolf)
4 Karma Etiquette 2
6 Karma Etiquette 3
4 Karma Animal Handling 2
1 Karma Or'zet 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Toughy posted:

I thought the general consensus was to max out the Ally spirit and wait for more karma for everything else. Also wasn't the thing that stabbed our head the Ally or was that just a random kwnoledge spirit

That was the spirit our teacher summoned for the initiation, not our ally spirit.