Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
90% of any cutting or chopping when I cook is done with a Santoku that my wife got at the dollar store six or seven years ago. This is despite the nice knife block my brother got us as a wedding present, those knives are pretty much only used when the Santoku is in use elsewhere or dirty. Also I use it to crush garlic all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’ve made salsa chicken with chicken breasts and canned salsa. I’ll make it in the future as well.

Hell :same:, but I haven't made it in a good while.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I get way too many new recipes from those quick recipe videos on Facebook (like Tasty). In fact more generally I have a hard time cooking anything good without a recipe open right in front of me or stone-cold memorized.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My wife is Thai and whenever we have people over for dinner we will cook Thai food for them. People are always blown away by our cooking but most Thai food is actually piss-easy to make.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Is it mostly the having of the various ingredients on hand? My friend spend a year in Northern Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, and that general area of the world. When he got back, he started making hella more thai food. Legit, most of it is like. Grill/stir-fry/roast/heat up _______ protein. Add a bunch of shallots, a bit of ginger, some garlic, and lime juice, and sometimes lime leaves. And then throw on a bunch of cilantro because why the hell not. It's so fresh and delicious.

You forgot fish sauce!
Yeah, part of it is finding the right ingredients and knowing what the dish should taste like, but the actual prep and cooking of Thai food is nothing fancy. Curry is basically
-Fry meat and veggies in pot
-Mix in curry paste (just use the canned stuff from Maesri, we do)
-Mix in 1 can of coconut milk and simmer until served. Add lime/sugar/fish sauce to taste.

I taught my 60-year old mother how to make Masaman curry via text message and she blew her friends away with it.

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, coconut is mainly in the southern curries. I don't think tiggum has had much Thai besides green, red and yellow curries from magazine/internet recipes.
There's lots of stir fries and grilled meat recipes from the north, and also they make the same red, green and yellow curries without coconut. If you check out a Thai restaurant here tiggum the usually call them jungle curry

Coconut milk is the base for curry "broth" so yeah any Thai curry you eat is probably going to have some coconut. I'm not a huge coconut fan but honestly I've never really been able to taste it in a finished curry. If you can taste the coconut you either have too much milk or not enough paste. Most noodle-based Thai dishes (pad kee mow, pad see ew, my personal favorite rad nar etc.) don't use coconut, I believe.

Republicans posted:

I got dinner from 7-Eleven twice this week.

Wife and I went on vacation in Florida a month ago and I'm pretty sure we had Wawa food for dinner every night we were there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fo3 posted:

Again, no. That is a southern thing. North Thai curries do not use coconut because there's no coconut growing there.
Jungle, or northen curry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaeng_pa If you find it with coconut then it is probably westernized to make it less spicy. But usually it should be similar herbs and spice to a southern curry, but probably more on the shrimp paste and fish sauce than southern coconut curries.

E: Plus they usually have simpler grill meat, stirfry veg type and add rice recipes.

My wife is from north-central Thailand but whenever I've been over I don't think we've eaten northern-style curries, I'll have to check them out next time. I think we have a a can of kaeng pa paste around here too...

His Divine Shadow posted:

My fiances family come from vietnam and whenever she makes something vaugely asian it's always just crap, sorry to be harsh but that's the truth. Usually it's some random meat and vegetables inna frying pan, then add water, perhaps a bullion cube, fish sauce, then eat with noodles or rice. It's loving disgusting watery blandness is what it is.

Her family makes similarly bad food. When there are holidays at her parents it's usually all vegan, all boring, all long since cold dismal food. Lots of canned fake meat stuff too, which ironically is probably better than most of the other stuff.

I know vietnamese food can be good since I've tasted other vietnamese peoples food (there are quite a lot living here). I've even made better vietnamese food myself from internet recipes! I don't know what it is about them but I never look forward to eating there.

:sever:
Alternatively, make banh mi

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

Same. It's fine, I don't dislike it, it's just not this amazing life-changing thing that some people seem to think it is. I could take it or leave it. There are some foods that I'd be really disappointed if they suddenly vanished from the world somehow, but chocolate isn't one of them.

This but bacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Back in high school before I knew how to cook, I would make microwave cakes sometimes. I forgot what I did to them to make them tolerable - an extra egg maybe? - but they weren't the absolute worst. Pretty bad, though.

I will absolutely eat a bowl of cereal for dinner if I'm completely knocked out from work. Yes, I have frozen tamales, bao, gyoza, and a bunch of other things, but they take longer than 30 seconds to prepare.

Breakfast food is appropriate at any time of day IMO so there's nothing to be ashamed of here.

My tired-as-gently caress food is frozen grocery store-brand meatballs. If I don't know what else to make I'll chop some of them in half and fry them up with any leftover veggies we have. If I'm really tired I'll just microwave them and eat them plain.

E: Wegman's brand, for the curious

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 22, 2017

• Locked thread