Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
AoS is cool because we finally get heavily armored :siren:females:siren: with :siren:giant :siren:hammers:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know someone tried to say AOS was mythic high fantasy but I'm having a hard time finding that "mythic feel" from these descriptions. I guess it's the lack of larger-than-life personalities coming into conflict with each other. When people talk about stuff they remember about myths they remember characters, gods, demigods, and heroes, and all the values the myths' creators instill into their stories and how they resonate with their cultures.

Basically what I'm saying is myths are stories and stories need characters. People who talk about AOS rarely have much of that to talk about besides Nagash it feels like. Ironically the Total Warhams, simply by having access to the Old World's larger-than-life characters and personalities to draw from, feels closer to actual myth. Actually, in a lot of ways, so does Total War Three Kingdoms.

Which isn't that surprising considering the Ro3K is basically China's great cultural mythic cornerstone despite being ostensibly historical fiction.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Xarbala posted:

I know someone tried to say AOS was mythic high fantasy but I'm having a hard time finding that "mythic feel" from these descriptions. I guess it's the lack of larger-than-life personalities coming into conflict with each other. When people talk about stuff they remember about myths they remember characters, gods, demigods, and heroes, and all the values the myths' creators instill into their stories and how they resonate with their cultures.

Basically what I'm saying is myths are stories and stories need characters. People who talk about AOS rarely have much of that to talk about besides Nagash it feels like. Ironically the Total Warhams, simply by having access to the Old World's larger-than-life characters and personalities to draw from, feels closer to actual myth. Actually, in a lot of ways, so does Total War Three Kingdoms.

Man, people are asking for an overview of the world and how the factions work. I don't know what to tell you but go read the actual fiction or something rather than wasting people's time looking for an exciting retelling of it in one post in the video games forum.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Onmi posted:

Really? Cause I quite like seeing part of my culture represented as "Not Evil Undead"

I think the same thing about "da boyz" honestly.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

games workshop got rid of the tomb kings because they were too dumb to realise that the reason people didnt buy tomb kings was that the faction was total trash on the tabletop, not that people didnt like the models or lore for them.

also its now mandatory that i post the picture:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Xarbala posted:

I know someone tried to say AOS was mythic high fantasy but I'm having a hard time finding that "mythic feel" from these descriptions.

Bear in mind, I don't really like AOS, but these descriptions aren't fair to AOS because, honestly? The setting stuff is kicked way to the backside. For example, the bone marines - the Ossiarch Bonereapers, what a terrible name - are loyal soldiers of death in service to a necromancer first, and where they come from other than "Nagash" doesn't really matter that much.

They're models that have evocative designs that tell you what they are clearly. If you don't like the designs, it's all going to feel like dumb toys.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

juggalo baby coffin posted:

games workshop got rid of the tomb kings because they were too dumb to realise that the reason people didnt buy tomb kings was that the faction was total trash on the tabletop, not that people didnt like the models or lore for them.

also its now mandatory that i post the picture:

Is this for real? Like they actually felt it was necessary to establish that Nagash is a rapist? No, I'm not reading the books.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

JBP posted:

Man, people are asking for an overview of the world and how the factions work. I don't know what to tell you but go read the actual fiction or something rather than wasting people's time looking for an exciting retelling of it in one post in the video games forum.

I mean just a couple pages ago people were giving pretty cool summaries of the Great Maw and Ogres and footnotes about the Dragon Emperor of Cathay. People talk about lore poo poo all the time here and it's interesting stuff, hearing about how Tyrion is a furious dumbass or the self-fulfilling prophecy that made Archaon. Or literally all the dumb bullshit skaven get, and get themselves, into.

I can't help it if you think that's wasting people's time but you didn't strike me as the sort who was much into chatting about lore anyway.

Cease to Hope posted:

Bear in mind, I don't really like AOS, but these descriptions aren't fair to AOS because, honestly? The setting stuff is kicked way to the backside. For example, the bone marines - the Ossiarch Bonereapers, what a terrible name - are loyal soldiers of death in service to a necromancer first, and where they come from other than "Nagash" doesn't really matter that much.

They're models that have evocative designs that tell you what they are clearly. If you don't like the designs, it's all going to feel like dumb toys.

I actually mentioned Nagash because he's one of the few things I've run into about AOS that strike me as interesting, he's totally extra and has a huge inferiority complex and he makes up for it with bonesy handicrafts and gumption.

Well the whole "is also now a rapist" thing definitely puts a damper on that though.

Runa fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 3, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

AoS gave us the Gloomspite Gitz so it's good actually

It's a faction of Night and Spider goblins with trolls as well. They follow the Bad Moon, a literal monstrous moon, which travels the realms and turns people into fungi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJhyEHSh9DU

Seriously though, some mangler squigs in TW would be baller

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
This video is awful, and any of these models would have fit perfectly well in the old world night goblins?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

this model is the size of a giant and can lead your army btw

sometimes AOS's gribbly aesthetic works but that's because gloomspite is one of the few factions that runs a significant number of reasonably basic models for them to contrast with. when it's something like ossiarch or fyreslayers (dwarf slayers who are also kinda fire elementals) or stormcast, they all just blur into overdesigned lumps. Warhammer Fantasy Battles and TWW work because there are these masses for the centerpieces to contrast with; you can't have an all centerpiece army.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

This video is awful, and any of these models would have fit perfectly well in the old world night goblins?

Yes, but they came with AoS. Gobbos were always kind of second fiddle to orcs in WHFB I felt

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

Is this for real? Like they actually felt it was necessary to establish that Nagash is a rapist? No, I'm not reading the books.

yes

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

dogstile posted:

I think the same thing about "da boyz" honestly.

Same, never have I seen the deep and rich culture of Leeds and Millwall fans recreated so beautifully on screen. I really like the similarities between Grom the Paunch and a fat guy from Leeds I saw at the train station throwing beer bottles at someone in an away shirt.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Whorelord posted:

I really like the similarities between Grom the Paunch and a fat guy from Leeds I saw at the train station throwing beer bottles at someone in an away shirt.

GET OUT OF GROM'S WAY MOUNTAINS!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Blooming Brilliant posted:

GET OUT OF GROM'S WAY MOUNTAINS!

ALL LEEDS AERNT WE

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Whorelord posted:

Same, never have I seen the deep and rich culture of Leeds and Millwall fans recreated so beautifully on screen. I really like the similarities between Grom the Paunch and a fat guy from Leeds I saw at the train station throwing beer bottles at someone in an away shirt.

Its honestly beautiful. Reminds me of the times when we could go outside and punch eachother for liking a different sportsball team

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
My only exposure to Warhammer Fantasy is this game so appreciate easy to understand things like pharaos are liches now. It being derivative is what makes it work well as a Total War setting. There's also cool details I've read in this thread about how in the lore the biggest demon invasion of fantasy HRE killed 10x less people than Sweden did in the real HRE during the 30 year war.

Marin Karin posted:

this is the only good AoS video if anyone wants a fair look at the lore and its golden boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DMtqizICn0
Also this video is great but as long as ZA/UM isn't making a Warhammer game idgaf about characterization beyond "who punches harder".

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll just lay it out, I learned more about the lore of Warhammer's Old World from this thread than any other source, mostly because the tone of casual conversation makes a lot of it more digestible and interesting than having it told with a straight delivery. And some places like the 1d4chan wiki try to lean too hard into humor while other wikis treat their topics with a scholarly reverence that I find off-putting.

When chatting about lore you don't need to spice it up or make it exciting, you can just give the lowdown and for commentary maybe include why you think that particular bit of lore is interesting. Who knows? Maybe someone else will find it interesting too.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I really appreciated really the Karl Franz short story where it shows how he actually got his votes. It was actual, ya know, Statesmenship of using the tax on the River Stir to twist it in such a way that it benefited Stirland, Ostermark and The Moot, while getting Talabecland to aid in Ostermark's defense of the eastern border essentially making both electors think they were getting the best deal (Ostermark gets more men, Talabecland gets the glory, but also the first dibs on trade with Kislev that didn't go to Ostermark.)

like... it was just interesting to get a look into how he actually got the votes.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

With TWW being a cozy little escape to sate my WHFB nostalgia pangs and GW announcing their return or whatever to the World that Was it feels really hard to gather any interest in investing into AoS. Despite the improvements and actually pretty cool models.

A part of me also thinks transitioning from WHFB to AOS would have been much smoother if the world itself wasn't deleted. There was a steeped in tangibility to Not Earth, but I recognize that might just be my nostalgia and bias speaking.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How is the TT unit cap mod? Does it result is more evenly distributed armies?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Sasgrillo posted:

With TWW being a cozy little escape to sate my WHFB nostalgia pangs and GW announcing their return or whatever to the World that Was it feels really hard to gather any interest in investing into AoS. Despite the improvements and actually pretty cool models.

A part of me also thinks transitioning from WHFB to AOS would have been much smoother if the world itself wasn't deleted. There was a steeped in tangibility to Not Earth, but I recognize that might just be my nostalgia and bias speaking.

No, that's reasonable. I went over once the major issue with the End Times, but ultimately it came down to being pointless.

Back in 2017 I posted this in a discord.

quote:

Okay put it like this. In the end times Nagash is back! Gelt's turned to Necromancy! The Winds of the heavens are bound to mortals! The Skaven are everywhere! Now we know what's up with The Green Knight! Archaon's rolling through the countryside! Altdorf's been shattered! Karl died and resurrected as a Demigod! SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE! SETTRA RULES! Vlad's back! Thorgrim Grudgebearer is dead! Malekith has become the Phoenix King! Lord loving Kroak willed himself back from the dead because he has poo poo TO DO! What's this going to mean for the world going forward?! Nothing, it all gets blown up.

We don't have to continue the setting, we don't have to come up with new interesting spins about what's happened now that everything has changed. We don't have to deal with a new status quo. Wipe the slate clean, everything's dead, start in an entirely new world with Trademarkable names.

Nothing that happened in the End Times mattered at all, if it had been "all of a sudden, the universe exploded" it'd have been just as worthwhile for the lead in to AoS.

Like let's look at 40k now. They recently (I say recently, it was years ago) advanced the timeline, Cadia was destroy, the Ultramarines Primarch is back and in charge, the Eye of Terror expanded, things progressed. But now that things have progressed, it means things have developed from this new status quo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Re: the bone marines, I don’t love those models but it really can’t be overstated how much better a lot of the current GW output looks in person. The studio paint schemes for the past...while now all use garish hypercontrast and pick out every tiny detail for reasons I don’t understand.

Personally real hard to invest in posting AoS lore (In the main fantasy thread at this point to boot) bc it’s just not got as much yet, and everything you post is gonna be interpreted in the dumbest possible way by people still salty about end times (hell ham fans are still salty about a badly managed summer campaign from sixteen years ago). I still prefer the WHFB setting but AoS is fun for what it is and it’s still finding it’s feet. You just have to kinda... shrug and ignore the shitshows that were 7th/8th/end times/AoS launch. And for that matter remember that WHFB was going downhill via mismanagement and terrible pricing long before it got killed. 7th and 8th killed the tournament scene in lots of areas and in 8th it was really hard for me to find a pickup game at all.

Also keep in mind that there’s is loads and loads of absolute stupid poo poo in Warhammer that just gets ignored in this thread in favour of better stories or borderline headcanon. You can do that when there’s forty years of poo poo and dozens of writers. Like, ask about Mannfred in this thread you’re going to get the 8th/End Times version of him. Ask about Vlad people will describe a character from older editions and ignore everything from End Times. Because that’s the versions people decided they liked.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just gonna say AOS wise I love Tyrion and Teclis the gods. I love that Teclis was so keen to make new elves that he hosed up, created soulless abominations and then didn't want to own up to it to his brother lol

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've said it before, but one of my big problems with AOS designs is that the races have become overly homogenized. I liked that Greenskins were an odd coalition of goblins, several Orc varieties, trolls and spiders, now each one is sectioned off into its own faction. Some of those jacked skellington models might be cool, but there's a lot lost when it's a team of all bone marines and none of those Harryhausen little guys to break things up.

I also don't like that they gave everyone and their grandfather giant monsters, eg Stormcasts and Slayers both have dragonoids, part of the appeal of the empire was their relative lack of such things.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

smug jeebus posted:

Greenskins didn't change much for age of sigmar. They still got their heavily armed orcs, less heavily armed orcs, orcs on piggies, savage orcs

Oh and this guy;

If anything it seems like they're developing goblins further since they are so infinitely much cooler than the orcs these days

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 3, 2020

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Sasgrillo posted:

The biggest challenge they will face, imo, will be to make the "world" of age of sigmar tangible. It's really hard to imagine what the world is like at the moment.

In the old world, it was fairly basic. You had basic landmass, mountain ranges and clear regions. Norsca was to the north and they invaded south into the empire etc.

In Age of Sigmar it's like... well it's this;

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Zzulu posted:

The biggest challenge they will face, imo, will be to make the "world" of age of sigmar tangible. It's really hard to imagine what the world is like at the moment.

In the old world, it was fairly basic. You had basic landmass, mountain ranges and clear regions. Norsca was to the north and they invaded south into the empire etc.

Tag yourself I'm Vale of Bulls.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

for some reason they decided to give all the orcs tonka truck armour.

storm of chaos would have been a less embarrassing ending to the old world than the end times. grimgor kicks archaon in the dick and then the world explodes.

the only thing i really like with the end times is that the skaven flat-out won. the skaven under-empire was moved in its entirety to the warp and the horned rat became a chaos god.

but the rest of it was cool characters jobbing to lame characters. the idea that grimgor would lose to archaon in single combat is really dumb. settra gets no justice. the only good thing is throgg the troll king crushes sigvald's head and pisses on his corpse then walks into the warp after being bullied by sigvald for being ugly for like 100 pages.

Zzulu posted:

this is really my biggest problem with age of sigmar. the world is incomprehensible and so any sort of battle or conquest feels meaningless. everything is just like those surrealistic infinite wars that go on in the warp in 40k.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It'd be cool if they kept progressing the story of AoS a few hundred years every now and then like they did recently and each time civilizations get a foothold here and there until there is a semblance of a world with clear territories etc

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Mordja posted:

I've said it before, but one of my big problems with AOS designs is that the races have become overly homogenized. I liked that Greenskins were an odd coalition of goblins, several Orc varieties, trolls and spiders, now each one is sectioned off into its own faction. Some of those jacked skellington models might be cool, but there's a lot lost when it's a team of all bone marines and none of those Harryhausen little guys to break things up.

I also don't like that they gave everyone and their grandfather giant monsters, eg Stormcasts and Slayers both have dragonoids, part of the appeal of the empire was their relative lack of such things.

The skellingtons are still around, they just belong to the SPOOKY faction now

Wouldn't mind Mannfreds mount in Total Warhammer 3 :getin:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So I'm reaching end game of my current campaign, and Chaos has invaded.

Not to worry though, because the Beardtide has well, Beardtided.

Everything's going to be just fi-

It's so beautiful :allears:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

juggalo baby coffin posted:

for some reason they decided to give all the orcs tonka truck armour.

storm of chaos would have been a less embarrassing ending to the old world than the end times. grimgor kicks archaon in the dick and then the world explodes.

the only thing i really like with the end times is that the skaven flat-out won. the skaven under-empire was moved in its entirety to the warp and the horned rat became a chaos god.

but the rest of it was cool characters jobbing to lame characters. the idea that grimgor would lose to archaon in single combat is really dumb. settra gets no justice. the only good thing is throgg the troll king crushes sigvald's head and pisses on his corpse then walks into the warp after being bullied by sigvald for being ugly for like 100 pages.

this is really my biggest problem with age of sigmar. the world is incomprehensible and so any sort of battle or conquest feels meaningless. everything is just like those surrealistic infinite wars that go on in the warp in 40k.

The Orcs all have tonka truck armor for the same reason they added the Sigmarines, make thing more like 40k and thing will sell more.

Honestly, Settra has one of the better showings in the End Times. Unfortunately it does require going places other than the books. In the books he disappears after refusing to serve Nagash and getting blown up and scattered across Khemri. After which the Chaos Gods put him back together and tell him his fight with Nagash doesn't have to end this way, in fact they'll give him everything he ever wants, provided he serves them eternally. This is where the books end, his actions afterwards are pretty badass.

After this he marches from Khemri to Middenheim to meet Archaon and offer to be an ally. Archaon agrees, provided Settra proves himself by slaying Kholek Suneater, as Kholek wouldn't listen to Archaon at all and was thus worthless for his plans; Settra does fight Kholek for 4 days and comes out victorious by decapitation and drags the head to Archaon's throneroom. He then disappears again until the final battle, where he approaches Nagash, calls him usurper and explains the deal the Chaos Gods offered; before promptly turning around and killing a Shoggoth about to attack Nagash. He then once more points at Nagash with his kopesh and explains that he will not follow the Chaos Gods who dared to offer immortality and eternal conquest in return for servitude, because Settra does not SERVE not Nagash and definitely not the Chaos Gods; he calls Nagash a Prince of Khemri (which implies that Nagash serves Settra instead of the other way around). He promises to come back and slay Nagash after slaying the Chaos Gods and then marches into the armies of Chaos to fight them and help hold them off as the world is consumed.

So for the record, he was offered literally everything possible, up to and including becoming a minor god himself and refused because it would require him to serve another. Settra's character withstood End Times better than just about everyone else.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Nagash should have won the end times and become a rival to the chaos gods :colbert:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Blooming Brilliant posted:

So I'm reaching end game of my current campaign, and Chaos has invaded.

Not to worry though, because the Beardtide has well, Beardtided.

Everything's going to be just fi-

It's so beautiful :allears:

It truly is! Stuff like this is why I like Eshin way more than Skryre

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
why do 75% of all AOS models have to be "in the air", which necessitates weird leg attachments and wispy bits

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Possibly because it makes them harder to recast, it does usually look cool too

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

age of sigmar fuckin rocks imo. whfb is good for its concept (take a map of the world and fill it with fantasy 80s racial stereotypes)but AOS's setting is pretty unique. the execution of the concept is not always 10/10 but WHFB really had to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Nah it blows