Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I'm playing an Azhag campaign and I've secured everything down the mountains to Karaz-az-Karak. Unfortunately this puts me in a bad spot. Since Chaos is a joke against AI factions, this means that they use the gap north of me to flood down into my territory rather than getting blunted by Skaven. The vampires are all dead because the Empire is on a roll, so now I've got Skaven, Chaos and Empire all gunning for me.

On top of all this I want to actually put Azhag's unique skills to good use, so I'm using Big Uns as my main infantry and abusing the vanguard deployment to get them into the face of the enemy as soon as possible. I have one dedicated anti chaos army of black orcs and biguns and artillery and my other army is Azhag which is trying to be a general purpose force. Going up against the hordes of the ordertide I need some cavalry. Is it worth going for Mournfang Cavalry mercenaries over the garbage cav the Orcs usually get? Should I ditch the arrer boys and plop some giants or trolls in there instead? Is the magical attack bonus from Aspect of thr Dread Knight worth it?

I have several questions and I'm not sure which direction to aim my next waaagh yet.

Boar chariots are exceptional atm. Def use em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Sharkopath posted:

I think Sodaz, one of the people who backed out of the contract, despite using sfm instead of all-original assets like astartes, had a really great sense of direction and pacing in their animation. Their warhammer stuff is still up, re-uploaded by fans, but GW not doing what they could to keep them on board is a sad mistake, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGNcYm8frrk

This would be the dude harassed by their own fanbase for taking the GW deal, btw.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, there was one person who was approached by Gw, read the contract contract said no, so their channel got demonetized and patreon shut down.

Then there's Sodaz. They did take the offer from GW and ended up facing a mountain of abuse from people claiming they had sold out because they took down their animations per the contract. Now, according to Sodaz, that was one of two things that happened. The other thing was that GW had apparently been very slow in responding to concerns Sodaz had about the contract and eventually they decided to cancel the contract because of said concerns and the amount of abuse they were receiving from assholes.

Either way, what happened was: sodaz takes the contract, gets harassed to hell and back, turns down the offer and now barely wants to do animations anymore because they didn't want to put up with online abuse from jackasses and legal threats from GW.

I know youtube comments are a lovely place to begin with but reading the responses to Sodaz experience also pissed me off. Lots of sympathy immediately followed by "so when can we have the next animation?" Like, the guy just told you they were treated like utter poo poo and now you're all hugs and kisses in exchange for making more poo poo. Someone is hurt and the only thing people care about is when they get their next video to consume.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 26, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Elukka posted:

I think I realized a big part of why the late game tends to be more boring than the early-midgame. The initial state of the world is tuned to be just chaotic enough - not too random, so that you can make meaningful plans, but enough that there is a level of uncertainty in everything and the future is butted. Your plans will have to adjust when you get an unexpected war declaration, or even just an inconvenient horde of beastmen. This applies to all the AI factions too, you get shifting power dynamics, alliances, etc. It feels rich and dynamic.

Later, eventually, a few dominant factions emerge, and will duke it out in a doomwar. This sounds fun on paper, but in practice, that war will likely be very one-sided, and with only a few factions that make a difference any more, there is very little uncertainty left. It would just be an enormously long grind to finish it up with the result known ahead of time.

They really should put more effort into the late game. They've clearly put in the effort to make the world's initial state interesting, but the state which inevitably emerges in the late game is very boring. I think the Chaos invasion is an attempt to slap a band aid on that, but it's not enough. It's just one thing, it's not the significant redesign that would be needed to actually make the late game fun.

Of course, shorter campagins like some of the DLC ones sidestep the issue by not having a late game at all. That works too.
I'm hoping they take a page from Stellaris for game 3's late game and lean into the Chaos Invasion while also adding other major events that could happen, if they can find a way to make them not suck. Stuff like a Skaven invasion from under ground, a Great Waaagh!, or other things that spice things up.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm hoping they take a page from Stellaris for game 3's late game and lean into the Chaos Invasion while also adding other major events that could happen, if they can find a way to make them not suck. Stuff like a Skaven invasion from under ground, a Great Waaagh!, or other things that spice things up.

I wonder how you can implement something like this in a way that doesn't make me feel obliged to have a bunch of defensive armies sitting around just in case. Giving a few turns' warning might help, but also feel a lot less dramatic.

I know this isn't exactly popular but I do think a lot of the solution here is to cap the level of power the player is able to achieve. If for whatever reason the player can only afford like 5 armies, or can only afford to control 20 provinces or whatever, it becomes a lot less necessary for the AI to be able to generate fifteen 20-stack chaos armies at the north pole. That's something they can borrow from classical strategy games like chess, is limiting the amount of resources you can have at one time so you have to do more with less. (This also ties into just having campaigns be shorter and more focused -- I just can't fathom a way to make map-painting even at the level of ME be challenging without being a horrifying slog where you're fighting 10 identical battles per turn).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Muscle Tracer posted:

I wonder how you can implement something like this in a way that doesn't make me feel obliged to have a bunch of defensive armies sitting around just in case. Giving a few turns' warning might help, but also feel a lot less dramatic.

I know this isn't exactly popular but I do think a lot of the solution here is to cap the level of power the player is able to achieve. If for whatever reason the player can only afford like 5 armies, or can only afford to control 20 provinces or whatever, it becomes a lot less necessary for the AI to be able to generate fifteen 20-stack chaos armies at the north pole. That's something they can borrow from classical strategy games like chess, is limiting the amount of resources you can have at one time so you have to do more with less. (This also ties into just having campaigns be shorter and more focused -- I just can't fathom a way to make map-painting even at the level of ME be challenging without being a horrifying slog where you're fighting 10 identical battles per turn).
Yeah its a tough balancing act. I would also like to see CA steal a lite version of EU4's vassal mechanics and tie game goals to conquering your faction's "natural" empire (e.g. Empire confederating or vassalizing all the Elector Counts; some elf on the donut confederating or vassalizing all the HE on the Donut; ect) and then if you want to own land outside of that its more beneficial to have vassals rather than owning it yourself. Then you can have fun marching an army around getting gud fites without needing to worry about conquering allllll the land.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I really would like to see, some sort of mechanic where I can support an ally/vassal in some way militarily without actually having to have an army in range. Even something like paying money to give them an upkeep-free modest stack of my units, or adding units to their RoR pool or idk

I'm sure theres an alternate universe where this exists and I'm whining in this thread about having my turns interrupted by interventions constantly but harrumph

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Tehan posted:

This is petty lore nit-picking that probably isn't really indicative of anything, but I remember reading one of their 'sneak peeks' about it and I was kind of put off by how they're apparently adding a bunch of still-extant Elven city-states to the coastline of the Old World. And the tabletop RPG of Warhammer Fantasy is still going and it's doing things like adding gnomes to the setting and adding new provinces to the Empire.

Wait, new provinces? That's... odd, what exactly did they add? At least gnomes are a super old-school thing that had been retconned away after 1st Edition.

Edit: Nvm, saw the answer above.

Azran fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 26, 2021

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Muscle Tracer posted:

Yeah, this is the problem. Once the player has seen these things happen once, they know to be on guard for next time, and it becomes just another predictable thing to plan for, rather than the sort of reactive, chaotic gameplay you get early on. The first time you get hit with Realm Divide it sucks. The second time you play through you build up a bunch of armies ahead of time and just keep on trucking.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
:tinfoil:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/strategy-game-endgame-design

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Factions like beastmen, orks, and skaven should never be defeated you should be fighting them off through out the campaign. You could easily do this by giving them a settlement that no one has LoS to then have them underway/beast path out of them. Give the AI randomly drawn objectives so it's not super bothersome where they just harass the area they spawn from. Skaven is honestly the easiest because you could just spawn a huge wave of undercities with the vermintide building already built. The goal would be to break up the order tide or force it to look inwards.

Someone should make a chaos cultist mod that's basically undercities for chaos.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
No... no thanks. After a certain point you get sick of your frontlines getting plague'd and Thott stacks diving out of nowhere.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
but ordertide doesn't win every game? also aren't breyherds, rogue armies and savage greenskins exactly that? a random threat in your back lines that you could ignore but will bite you in the rear end eventually

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Are you not putting walls on your settlements? I don't think i've had anything menace my cities late game and i keep everything that's not in my heartland walled which can easily defeat any of the roving threats. The key is to turn things that aren't the players into brush fires that you'd need to put out but then again unless you had the mod that allows you to give settlements back to their owners you'd run into problems.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
In my latest Nakai game, Sylvania took most of the empire. When I got down there from Norsca, Empire was down to 1 province. At the same time, Grimgor had taken practically all of the Badlands, with Dwarfs down to 2 settlements, and the entirety of the area south-south east on the map were ruins, because Queek had taken it. Ulthuan was also halfway taken by Naggarond and CoP.
The only area I didn't have vision on was Lustria, but Itza was sitting on a solid 5 settlements when I finished the campaign.

Honestly, I think people complaining about Ordertide are one of the reasons for why every single new/revamped chaos faction campaign has been a joke difficulty-wise for some time.

Edit: Though I do suspect that the game might beef up the "opposing" factions for whatever campaign you are playing as. So Order factions might seem stronger if you are playing chaos or death aligned factions, and vice versa.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah playing as an order race will do that to the point that you won't have any fights because your allies are killing everything. My strategy as dawi has always been a giant military alliance chain then war decing everything to ensure that when i finally get there it's not all order factions. Another thing to consider is factions you've discovered fight far differently than factions you haven't so discovering lustria and canada is key to ensuring those factions actually become a threat. It's great to have trading partners esp when you need the resources for the forge mechanic but's annoying as hell when you can't find any fights because those french peasants have gotten there first.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the thing with GW ip stuff is that theyre apparently really huge pains in the rear end to work with. very much, we will review every single line you write and throw random fits over how lore appropriate one thing is or isn't. so big or successful publishers don't really want to bother with that poo poo. instead you get the middling and small ones that either are fanboys of the setting (GW's favorite type of contractor / employee since they can stiff them) or are willing to put up with all the poo poo to get access to the GW namesake to sell their stuff.

Always kinda funny to hear how anal they can be about canon because back when I bought Warhammer books (aside from the rare Abnett inquisitor series) there were a lot of authors who played it pretty fast and loose with canon

Also one guy who plagiarised a Vietnam vet's memoirs for his Warhammer book lmfao

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

DaysBefore posted:

Always kinda funny to hear how anal they can be about canon because back when I bought Warhammer books (aside from the rare Abnett inquisitor series) there were a lot of authors who played it pretty fast and loose with canon

Also one guy who plagiarised a Vietnam vet's memoirs for his Warhammer book lmfao

"And always remember loyal men of the Empire to keep your pecker hard and your powder dry."

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: Though I do suspect that the game might beef up the "opposing" factions for whatever campaign you are playing as. So Order factions might seem stronger if you are playing chaos or death aligned factions, and vice versa.

Nah. The people complaining about Ordertide are tilting at a game hasn't been existed for at least a year. Ever since Warden and Paunch, the Badlands get assimilated under Grimgor and the Empire has always collapsed without player control. Hell, my current beastmen ME campaign didn't even require me to fight the Dwarfs for them to be wiped out. Reikland made a decent showing with a convenient confederation each time they were down to one city but got beat down by attrition, and nuking Brettonia was just cleaning up Skaven laziness.

My Beastly Boys sailed off from the Old World to find new targets because I was sick of having to chain-ambush 4-6 greenskin armies every turn.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I feel like even since the first game from patch to patch the game has oscillated between the bearded tide and the greenskin tide. It would be refreshing to see another southern power dominate for once (like a TK for instance).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Acute Grill posted:

Nah. The people complaining about Ordertide are tilting at a game hasn't been existed for at least a year.
This is a little extreme. I just played an unmodded Imrik game where Empire and Dwarfs beat their respective opponents without much involvement from me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The dwarfs got roundly beaten by Grimgor during my Azhag campaign but the Vampires and Skaven burnt themselves out and got swallowed up by Reikland.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arcsquad12 posted:

The dwarfs got roundly beaten by Grimgor during my Azhag campaign but the Vampires and Skaven burnt themselves out and got swallowed up by Reikland.
Stop tilting about a game that hasnt existed for a year

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Arghy posted:

Are you not putting walls on your settlements? I don't think i've had anything menace my cities late game and i keep everything that's not in my heartland walled which can easily defeat any of the roving threats. The key is to turn things that aren't the players into brush fires that you'd need to put out but then again unless you had the mod that allows you to give settlements back to their owners you'd run into problems.

yeah I do and sometimes allies just eat it because their armies were too far from home

my point was that the mechanic you want exists, you just want them turned up. I'm sure mods will help you there

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I feel like even since the first game from patch to patch the game has oscillated between the bearded tide and the greenskin tide. It would be refreshing to see another southern power dominate for once (like a TK for instance).

Really part of this issue is that the whole Badlands are a pretty large part of the map that are only ever really in contention between Dwaves and Orks. There aren't really any other factions nearby well postioned to take advantage of it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vagabong posted:

Really part of this issue is that the whole Badlands are a pretty large part of the map that are only ever really in contention between Dwaves and Orks. There aren't really any other factions nearby well postioned to take advantage of it.
Queek and Sniktch (who I always spell his name wrong) tend to start poo poo there, at least in my experience. It made one of my Kemmler's Awesome Adventures to down there (I migrated to that swamp with the unique building) a real pain because Skaven are more of a pain to deal with as VCounts, compared to Skaven, at least to me.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
that reminds me. Heinrich "The Original Undead Daddy" Kemmler's skill tree has been redone a bit.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Just once I want to see AI tomb kings take over everything. I feel as if they are one of the last things introduced that didn't feel grossly overpowered.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Is the Kadon challenge for the Beastmen bugged for everyone? I got 11/10 of the summons I need for it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Is the Kadon challenge for the Beastmen bugged for everyone? I got 11/10 of the summons I need for it.
They did a == instead of >=
If you get 10 summons after a battle it triggers okay

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Really, the only order faction I never really see lose completely are Brettonia, they always seem to hang around until lategame. Might be the lack of any serious threats nearby.

Vagabong posted:

I often see Queek get big, usually taking out Khalida and Kroq-Gar, confederating Eshin, and settling everything between the badlands and the southern edge of the map. Doesn't seem to start poo poo with Grimgor though, usually just goes directly for what's left of the dwarfs.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Just once I want to see AI tomb kings take over everything. I feel as if they are one of the last things introduced that didn't feel grossly overpowered.

Yeah, I have never seen TKs become a lategame threat, they always fizzle out and die to one of the other LL factions.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Outcomes I usually see in ME over the past few patches:

-Queek takes most of the Southlands, confederates Eshin or sometimes rarely the other way around. Gets stuck around mid way into the bad lands as they rarely war with the Orcs.
-Dwarfs get pushed out of the Badlands, often times losing Karak a Karak. Will instead emergency confederate and end up owning the World's Edge Mountains up to the Chaos Wastes and the areas around Belegar's starting position IF they confederate faster than Ikit can get his poo poo together to claim Tilea before Sartosa can, with Sartosa then usually losing to Dwarfs.
-Either Karl goes beastmode and confederates the Empire factions in like 10 turns or they never make it out of their starting province, in which case another Empire faction (usually one of the northern ones for some reason) will step in to be big dick of the Old World.
-Vamp counts get driven back to a Drachenhof, then will spend the rest of the game sitting there until they're put out of their misery by me.
-Thott refuses to go more south than Kislev, will instead claim the parts of Norsca immediately around Hell Pit. Will sometimes show up inexplicably in Naggarond having swam across from Norsca's most western point if I'm playing a faction there.
-Malekith will either take out Anith Alar and then get stuck fighting a useless forever war against Oxyotl, Sisters of Twilight and/or Tretch while Morathi keeps him from expanding south until Chaos wipes him out, at which point he'll confederate Malus and they sit on their lovely little island chain stuck behind a wall of Queek/Eshin they won't declare war on. Or Anith Alar will take him out before being confederated by Alarielle.
-Mazamundi is either wiped out by Skeggi or confederates the entirety of Lustria's lizardmen factions. Will then fight a useless hellwar with Harkon.
-Tyrion starts a lot of poo poo but never actually sends stacks out. Alarielle will usually claim the Sword of Khaine, stick it on a mage lord and then rampage around some poor minor factions if they confederate Anith Alar as above. Otherwise she gets confederated by Tyrion and they all sit on the big donut rattling sabres.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 27, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
In ME I've seen a pretty even split of factions dominating. I tend to cruise out with small armies and undermine problems factions. One of the most fun aspects of wood elves is I can just pop up and be like "world police motherfuckers!" I parked Findol outside Karaz a Karak on ambush last night and the dwarves are coming back from the brink. Norscans got a foothold in that Lustrian empire area so I went and cleared them out to protect Alith Anar's unprotected backside as he fight dark elves for me. It's fun.

Also lol when Morathi, Malekith and that beast dude show up in the Badlands and I'm like "what are these dudes doing here" before going oh haha.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

SteelMentor posted:

Outcomes I usually see in ME over the past few patches:

-Queek takes most of the Southlands, confederates Eshin or sometimes rarely the other way around. Gets stuck around mid way into the bad lands as they rarely war with the Orcs.
-Dwarfs get pushed out of the Badlands, often times losing Karak a Karak. Will instead emergency confederate and end up owning the World's Edge Mountains up to the Chaos Wastes and the areas around Belegar's starting position IF they confederate faster than Ikit can get his poo poo together to claim Tilea before Sartosa can, with Sartosa then usually losing to Dwarfs.
-Either Karl goes beastmode and confederates the Empire factions in like 10 turns or they never make it out of their starting province, in which case another Empire faction (usually one of the northern ones for some reason) will step in to be big dick of the Old World.
-Vamp counts get driven back to a Drachenhof, then will spend the rest of the game sitting there until they're put out of their misery by me.
-Thott refuses to go more south than Kislev, will instead claim the parts of Norsca immediately around Hell Pit. Will sometimes show up inexplicably in Naggarond having swam across from Norsca's most western point if I'm playing a faction there.
-Malekith will either take out Anith Alar and then get stuck fighting a useless forever war against Oxyotl, Sisters of Twilight and/or Tretch while Morathi keeps him from expanding south until Chaos wipes him out, at which point he'll confederate Malus and they sit on their lovely little island chain stuck behind a wall of Queek/Eshin they won't declare war on. Or Anith Alar will take him out before being confederated by Alarielle.
-Mazamundi is either wiped out by Skeggi or confederates the entirety of Lustria's lizardmen factions. Will then fight a useless hellwar with Harkon.
-Tyrion starts a lot of poo poo but never actually sends stacks out. Alarielle will usually claim the Sword of Khaine, stick it on a mage lord and then rampage around some poor minor factions if they confederate Anith Alar as above. Otherwise she gets confederated by Tyrion and they all sit on the big donut rattling sabres.
It's nice to hear it varies because my last Imrik game (where I was too small to matter, other than taking out Eshin and Malus) had none of this. :v:

Tyrion became the mega-superpower, confederated all the high elves, eliminated all dark elves from Naggaroth, then destroyed Norsca, and by the end was campaigning in the fallen Empire against the vampire counts who had taken over all of it. The Huntsmarshal came along and was last seen destroying Skavenblight with four stacks, and owned most of Lustria save for Itza, Sotek and a lizard minor that somehow ended up surviving and owning a couple provinces. Tyrion and him allied with all the lizards when the Chaos invasion happened.

Couronne was also part of this megacoalition and owned all of Bretonnia, Estalia and bits of the Southlands. The rats had been wiped out everywhere, save for some irrelevant remnants. Grimgor was huge, but some dwarves hung on, and eventually he would have been destroyed by the Tyrionblock.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I started up an Oxyotl campaign, and hopping around being the world police is pretty fun, but what is the end-goal for Oxy's stack at like turn 100? The all chameleon skirmisher strat is fun and effective against early-game armies of 90% slow infantry that can be indefinitely kited, but what do I transition over to when my targets start actually having cavalry and more single entities? Just go towards big dinos that can run in and tie up the mobile elements of the enemy formation? I played a Hexoatl campaign when WH2 first came out and haven't really touched Lizardmen since.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Hargrimm posted:

I started up an Oxyotl campaign, and hopping around being the world police is pretty fun, but what is the end-goal for Oxy's stack at like turn 100? The all chameleon skirmisher strat is fun and effective against early-game armies of 90% slow infantry that can be indefinitely kited, but what do I transition over to when my targets start actually having cavalry and more single entities? Just go towards big dinos that can run in and tie up the mobile elements of the enemy formation? I played a Hexoatl campaign when WH2 first came out and haven't really touched Lizardmen since.

Oracles. You've got stalk, powerful magic, and a pretty absurd ranged attack along with enough speed to kite almost anything. They are ideally pompous to lower enemy leadership as well.

Edit: Skink heroes riding stegadons are also pretty good. You should spam star chambers until you can recruit them at rank 20. Each tier 3 settlement should be increasing your cap by one.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 27, 2021

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve been trying to up my game a little, and part of this means understanding unit stats and making cool armies. But I’m having some trouble evaluating the little guys, and it might help if I ask: what is a “good” amount of melee attack? Or melee defence? When is weapon strength more important than melee attack? What is a “good” amount of weapon strength?

I suppose I should just ask, what’s a nice, solid infantry unit that I could use to compare others to?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
iirc I watched this video and it gave a lot of good info on how stats work: https://youtu.be/GTEq1GdRVmU

I never played a total war game before last year and this helped me understand the underlying mechanics

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve been trying to up my game a little, and part of this means understanding unit stats and making cool armies. But I’m having some trouble evaluating the little guys, and it might help if I ask: what is a “good” amount of melee attack? Or melee defence? When is weapon strength more important than melee attack? What is a “good” amount of weapon strength?

I suppose I should just ask, what’s a nice, solid infantry unit that I could use to compare others to?

You're going to get a million answers here. Expendable melee units like skavenslaves and zombies tend to have stats (MA/MD) in the 10-20 range. Standard infantry tend to be in the 30-40 range. A spearman might have like 20 MA and 40 MD, while a swordsman might be closer to 30/30. 40's and 50's are strong infantry, and anything above that is elite.

Lots of things can modify those, and a lord that is specialized in a certain type of infantry may be able to take even standard infantry to near elite stats.

MA/MD is, in my opinion, almost always the most important of that stats to look at when judging infantry quality.

The high elf spearman is probably the closest to a "regular" infantry unit you can get. A human spearman unit will be slightly inferior. A wood elf spearman will be more "glass cannon" (less armor, no shield, more weapon damage). A dwarf warrior will have better overall stats but lack any sort of punch (no anti-large, less AP). A saurus will be a lot better overall in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Melee defence is probably the strongest skill to have for any unit. Higher melee defence means less attacks land on the unit, which in turn means the unit can last longer in a fight. The exception to this are units with the trait "damage dealer". These units tend to have lower MD and much higher MA in order to rip through other units. These are best used for hitting lower quality infantry where they trade much better and can quickly shred units. Elite infantry vs base infantry is a waste of time, Elites are better off using their AP to take on equal tier enemies or anchoring a line.