Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

genericnick posted:

Haven't really kept up since the pirates dropped. Is there already a date for WH3? Also what was that about an Empire system I've read about itt. Is that in the base game?

Ham 3 is still slated for “Late 2021”, though I wouldn’t be shocked if they bump it to next year.
Every faction from the first game (except Norsca and the Warriors of Chaos) has gotten either a new mechanic or a total overhaul, as a free update. These only apply in game 2; there have been 0 updates to the first game since 2 was released.
The Empire now has this system where you need to try and keep the Elector Counts alive and happy, until they agree to annexation. They also added a special unit for each province, and a bunch more towns in general, and a couple of Wood Elves and Skaven just living in the middle of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Kazzah posted:

The Empire now has this system where you need to try and keep the Elector Counts alive and happy, until they agree to annexation. They also added a special unit for each province, and a bunch more towns in general, and a couple of Wood Elves and Skaven just living in the middle of the country.

Sounds good. Maybe I'll give Gelt another spin.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

it really does make sense, given the existence of wizards, that you would have super powerful heroes tuned up for murdering wizards

i think you probably would end up with either trench warfare or an actual apocalypse if warhammer wizards existed

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Black company does a very good job of realistic wizards, basically you're loving dead unless you got some on your side in which case you're likely still dead but have a chance. One of them builds a flying carpet then drops basically nerve gas on medieval era troops.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like they would probably be quite good against large monsters on the charge.

Like if I don't have a gun, I definitely can't imagine trying to fight a giant with a sword, I would rather have fifty mates with really long sticks so we can all have a go at it.

I can’t have been the only murdering the poo poo out of different opponents in Medieval 2 using Spanish tercios.
Blocking a bridge with tercios and crossbowmen and having Timor charging across the bridge with cavalry and elephants and having them die in droves was fun.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

A 2022 where we get Elden Ring and Ham3 will redeem the 2020s

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

What I'm hoping for Cathay is that we get Eastern dragons (and the Dragon Emperor being a literal shapeshifting dragon because that's loving awesome), terracotta warriors (as mentioned in that one fluff blurb), jade constructs (seriously I want giant jade Chinese-style temple lions loving tearing poo poo up), fire lances, and FUCKLOADS of gunpowder.

They have a completely blank slate, GW is working with them on it, just go loving nuts. Do crazy poo poo. The more insane the better.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Arghy posted:

Black company does a very good job of realistic wizards, basically you're loving dead unless you got some on your side in which case you're likely still dead but have a chance. One of them builds a flying carpet then drops basically nerve gas on medieval era troops.

Don't you go make me reinstall Myth you bastard.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

malazan book of the fallen has good wizards too. armies exist to protect the wizards while they gently caress poo poo up basically.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I can see Cathay being sort of like High Elves but with gunpowder.

Decent to good core units with a focus on strong ranged units, good selection of artillery and a generous helping of higher tier monstrous, and single entity units.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Did a 4 way FFA with some friends. I decided to bring the Wood Elf Air Force and descended upon a couple of necrofexes. After the charge bonus ran out, I set them to take off so I could charge again. The terror caused them to start breaking, until *all* of them were running in terror, straight off the side of the map, causing my entire army to vanish on drat near 100% health.

It was amazing.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

Yes shogun 2 is definitely the proof that wizards are only better than artillery up to a point.

A full fleet naval bombardment probably did more damage than every warhammer spell combined, especially during seiges.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

No wizard is as powerful as Records mode Zhang Fei

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hm, they might have not thought that through. I started a Gelt campaign and now I have two quests that want me to use heroes to do something, yet there's not way for me to acquire one until my town has grown to size 3. I think the Hams 1 campaign would spot you a wizard at least.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

genericnick posted:

Hm, they might have not thought that through. I started a Gelt campaign and now I have two quests that want me to use heroes to do something, yet there's not way for me to acquire one until my town has grown to size 3. I think the Hams 1 campaign would spot you a wizard at least.

As Reikland, yeah, you would get a wizard as part of the ambushing the rebels quest battle. Gelt doesn't get that so you just have to wait until t3.

The quests, especially for WH1 races in WH2, are weird and haven't been revisited. Archaeon has a quest that starts at level 8 that has a second step requiring you to have a t5 horde, iirc. Maybe t4. Either way there is no way in hell you will be close for 30 more turns, and I think the step after that requires you to have researched something you probably did around turn 10. Also you really should leave a hero just sitting around your starting spawn because every single quest requires you to go up there. Most of the WH1 quests have some degree of jankiness or "whyyyy" in them. One way WH2 definitely improved.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I've got a mod installed that just skips all the quest requirements and just gives me the items directly when you reach the required level, because there's no way I'm taking the time to, for example, march Gelt to Estalia when I've got actual enemies that need fighting.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cardiac posted:

I can’t have been the only murdering the poo poo out of different opponents in Medieval 2 using Spanish tercios.
Blocking a bridge with tercios and crossbowmen and having Timor charging across the bridge with cavalry and elephants and having them die in droves was fun.

Be English and just put longbowmen stakes in front of a gate then make sure it’s open so the horsemen run in first and all die.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I've got an extremely basic question about the UI that I cannot find any information about online.

When a unit gets damaged, sometimes a little gray bar, like an input cursor, appears on its health bar - pictured below. What does that indicate? Does it represent the number of units that have outright died as opposed to just taken damage, or the cap that the unit can be healed back to, or something else?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Muscle Tracer posted:

the cap that the unit can be healed back to

This is the one, though unless you have a spell that can bring dead models back to life it's rare you'll ever be able to actually hit it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

I've got an extremely basic question about the UI that I cannot find any information about online.

When a unit gets damaged, sometimes a little gray bar, like an input cursor, appears on its health bar - pictured below. What does that indicate? Does it represent the number of units that have outright died as opposed to just taken damage, or the cap that the unit can be healed back to, or something else?

It's the cap that the unit can be healed to
One thing it does not show that I wish it would somehow do is show you when you are also capped by available models. That is, if you somehow had a unit that had half of its models wiped out without any damage to the other half, you are never going to get the health bar above 50% (because each model cannot have more than the model's starting health) without resurrection magic. I've definitely wasted healing spells on units nowhere near their heal cap who are nonetheless at max health because each model is at max.

I also still haven't figured out if regeneration is 4 hp/second per model or per unit, and if the latter how that health gets assigned to each model.

The only time I've ever hit it are with single entities with good morale and regen. Before they added the cap Sigvald and some vampires could easily solo garrisons by just regenerating faster than they took damage, forever.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

LimburgLimbo posted:

Don't you go make me reinstall Myth you bastard.

Wait i played the poo poo outta myth before i read the books is it the same universe? drat YOUR EYES! Walk here, walk there.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Huh... no wonder I was confused about what it entailed. That's really weird that they wouldn't separate out the healing-based cap vs. the resurrection-based cap. Well, I guess I can safely go back to ignoring it :v:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Well, leaving the Vampie Counts to run rampage in the south while you try to liberate villages in the north turns out to not be a winning strategy. I guess Gelt should prioritize dealing with them? Though I'm not really sure how I should approach the new Empire campaign, I don't there was a start outside of Reikland when I last played.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Did a 4 way FFA with some friends. I decided to bring the Wood Elf Air Force and descended upon a couple of necrofexes. After the charge bonus ran out, I set them to take off so I could charge again. The terror caused them to start breaking, until *all* of them were running in terror, straight off the side of the map, causing my entire army to vanish on drat near 100% health.

It was amazing.

Stupid question, but did you remember to bring a land unit to avoid the steady leadership drain from having only air units? I can't think of how you'd be getting terror routed at near-full health otherwise, since terror only kicks in when morale is on the lower side.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah, I did. I have no idea how it happened - units seem to take a morale hit when withdrawing from combat, and I guess that dipped one low enough to break, and from there it just cascaded. That being said, while I was busy with my air force one of the other players wiped out my dryads that were hiding in a forest, so it may have been unfortunate timing causing that chain of events.

Either way, it's the most entertaining loss I've had.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

Be English and just put longbowmen stakes in front of a gate then make sure it’s open so the horsemen run in first and all die.

Yeah, that as well.
The English was slightly OP in that game with no obvious weaknesses.
The pikemen were iffy to use, and if one wasn’t careful they would drop the piles.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Arghy posted:

Wait i played the poo poo outta myth before i read the books is it the same universe? drat YOUR EYES! Walk here, walk there.

Not the same universe officially but it’s widely thought that the Black Company heavily inspired it and there’s a lot of parallels:

http://myth.bungie.org/legends/relics/blackcompany.html

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

genericnick posted:

Well, leaving the Vampie Counts to run rampage in the south while you try to liberate villages in the north turns out to not be a winning strategy. I guess Gelt should prioritize dealing with them? Though I'm not really sure how I should approach the new Empire campaign, I don't there was a start outside of Reikland when I last played.

yeah, once you have your first province locked down you want to prioritize VC, they are a cancer on the empire.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

I love Joe's stuff but its total schlock :)

This review of The Heroes is one of my favorites because the guy understands the author so well.

That’s got to be one of the best reviews I’ve ever read. Fuckin brutal.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not for nothing, but that Warham mod for Bannerlord seems to be coming along.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 12, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mordja posted:

Not for nothing, but that Warham mod for Bannerlord seems to be coming along.

love it

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the warhammer mod for Warband is also charming

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/519542011297136657/885214617696088084/masque.mp4

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

KHORNE DELIGHTS IN YOUR PROMISING FUTURE.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

"You've changed, Bruce. You're no longer the man I married."
"Screeeech"

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Goddamn, Be'lakor doesn't have cake, he's got the whole drat bakery.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Man, Noctilus's Vortex campaign is so incredibly chill. Just ambling down the coastline with a stack of mortars and handguns putting a cove in every port in Araby, coming back up Lustria doing the same. Eventually firing half my army to replace with Necrofexes, then firing the other half to replace with Promethean Handguns (with Bess and a few mortars for sieges). It honestly feels like the ranged version of Taurox - maybe not quite that insane but just as carefree.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Muscle Tracer posted:

Man, Noctilus's Vortex campaign is so incredibly chill. Just ambling down the coastline with a stack of mortars and handguns putting a cove in every port in Araby, coming back up Lustria doing the same. Eventually firing half my army to replace with Necrofexes, then firing the other half to replace with Promethean Handguns (with Bess and a few mortars for sieges). It honestly feels like the ranged version of Taurox - maybe not quite that insane but just as carefree.

Basically every Coast campaign can be played like this. Fortify your starting place and sail off to gently caress all wherever, who cares, you're a pirate.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

idk why the game starts you off at war with someone who doesn’t have any coastal cities

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah the vampire coast is usually very chill. You don't really need to conquer and hold anything either. Just send a hero up to the elf donut and put a vampire cove in every building so you have infinite income and then just sail around the world with your fleets causing a ruckus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1437415775518826499?s=19

Welp