Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The dark elves fuckin rule. It's fun being in a hard fought battle and then you hit the kill count to go berserk and suddenly all your troops are absolutely nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I've only got a few hours played but this game is almost perfect without mods. It's so good. The only mod I want is more skill points for lords.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Innerguard posted:

Is it just me or is the standard line infantry for Dark Elves utter dogshit? I thought their line of spears and shields was supposed to be hardcore, or am I confusing the dreaded lore (and possible warhammer online blackguard experience?)

They've been fine for me? Some rough battles vs chaos warriors but that's to be expected since chaos mulches opposing infantry. Honestly I've found them to be surprisingly resilient.

But, as mentioned, DE infantry's job is "don't die while the crossbows mow down everyone"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Are lothern sea guard as cool as they seem? I'm running with a black guard/shade/executioner/cold one army on malekith and it seems hard to top this

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Dark Elves are a blast but some minor faction has already stomped out the High Elves? thats disappointing.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't really like the entire ritual aspect of the campaign but otherwise it's fun. Also my 10k gold intervention army got wiped the turn it was created so I'm not sure what the point of wasting money on that was.

nopantsjack posted:

how do black arks work?

It's a horde/city on the ocean, basically. You can build recruitment buildings on it for basic units (dreadspears, darkshards, corsairs, etc) and those can either remain on the ship as a garrison or be recruited directly into armies on land that are within the ark's sphere of influence. There are also buildings in the ark that give armies within that sphere of influence bonuses like more income from raiding and sacking.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
feeling very triumphant launching a 5 stack invasion of Ulthuan with Malekith at the head, Tyrion bout to get wrecked

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I expected to like lizardmen the least but they're growing on me. I started as the fat frog but I don't really use him beyond garrisoning the main area, putting down rebellions and all that. My main army is a Saurus on a carnosaur, with two scar veterans on carnosaurs, like 14 saurus warriors/temple guard, and some token cavalry/monsters for dealing with archers. It's fun to have the saurus warriors pin down the enemy line and then smash into it with three dudes on t-rexes. My biggest regret is that I cannot recruit more scar veterans at the moment.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
A wizard killing hundreds of people with one spell is boring to me. Three guys riding t-rexes killing hundreds of enemies is not.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So something I'm wondering - if they follow the same DLC-pattern with 2 as they did for 1, adding 3-4 more factions (depending on how you count Bretonnia)... who is left for the third game? They've already blown through all the ones I know except for Tomb Kings and they'd be a pretty obvious DLC addition for 2 given the locations in-game.

Tomb Kings, Araby, Estalia/Tilea for this one.

Four chaos god armies, demons, Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Dwarfs for game 3. Maybe Kislev as well? As other people have said there are minor human factions in the east they could get creative with in the form of Fantasy India, China, and Japan.

One thing that I think would be cool would be regiments of renown replacing roaming armies and mercenary companies being a playable horde faction. Maybe your goal would be to hire yourself out to certain people to help accomplish their objectives for X amount of turns. The goal as a mercenary horde would be to earn X amount of fame (like the chivalry function for Bretonnia) and a boatload of gold, rather than smashing cities like the chaos horde factions - although you could do that too to get the gold if you want.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Sekenr posted:

So did anyone find more unique lords like the White Lion elf? This dude is great

he's the only one, some kid had the Make A Wish foundation ask to have a special lord added

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
You can just ignore the ritual and play however you want. The only reason I do it is for the cash influx and free xp from slaughtering chaos armies. You can stop another faction from completing their final ritual indefinitely by winning the quest battle or whatever.

That being said, I'd prefer if it wasn't in the game at all, and I'm a lot more interested in the mega campaign.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Wafflecopper posted:

A "close victory" :psyduck:

Autoresolve had it at 50/50

High elves are such bullshit but it is pretty fun to watch enemy armies get shot to bits trying to get to you.

I usually go something like

code:
     SG SG SG SG SG

SG SG SG SG SG

SM  A  EC  A   EC   A  SM

SH         L           SH
SG - Lothern Sea Guard with shields
SM - Sword Masters
A - Archers (light armor)
EC - Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
SH - Silver Helms
L - Lord

Most armies take hundreds of casualties and are already starting to chain rout before they even hit the first line of Sea Guard, almost none make it to the second line unless I'm insanely outnumbered. You can really swap the sword masters/silverhelms with whatever, I use them to defend from quick flankers basically.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Pierson posted:

Do Temple Guards count as Saurus for the purposes of tech/buffs or are they considered their own thing?

they have their own buffs in lord red lines/the tech tree

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

SunAndSpring posted:

What happens if the AI finishes the last ritual?

you get to fight a battle to stop it, which you can win pretty easily

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Bogarts posted:

Man some of the dark elf names are amazing. Got one that adds +10% damage, frenzy, and "The Hunger" which is the vampire ability that regenerates health while in melee. But some of the others are pretty lackluster.

I wish there was a list somewhere. I know I can look it up in the files or whatever but I don't want to do that. Someone show me the list!

From what I can tell it seems like the names that buff your army are the best. I haven't really gotten anything good from the names that buff your lords individual combat skills. Faction bonuses have been hit or miss.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

thank you

Barbstorm and Shadowdart are nuts

I've gotten Khainemarked before and that was one I liked a lot for holding down the north against chaos, but thats the only one that jumps out at me that I remember.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ravenfood posted:

The Dark Marshall helped a lot early game too. The aristocratic ones seem just a little better overall, but I also tend to build my lords red/blue anyway. On the other hand, a single good martial name might make up for a lot of missing out on yellow buffs.

Black Conqueror sounds familiar to me too actually. That one was actually really great for early game.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
why would you ever use regular corsairs when you can use corsairs with handbows

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
dark elf ranged being "a bit better" than skaven is an understatement

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I feel stupid asking this this far into the game but how the hell do I check the diplomatic statuses between other factions in the diplomacy tab? In the other games you'd just click on them then click on the other factions capital on the map but that doesn't seem to work here.

When you click them on the diplomacy map other regions should change color and that shows their opinion of whatever faction you have selected.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Well it took me about 150 turns, and I could have probably just done this in custom battles for the novelty factor, but I finally have Kroq'Gar on Grimloq with 9 scar veterans on carnosaurs in a single army. Is it optimal? Probably not, but it is insanely bad rear end and fun. Almost every battle goes the same way though. I have 10 units of saurus warriors that hold the enemy in place (and almost always get completely massacred) and then the t-rex crew comes in and slaughters everything while it's nice and grouped up.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
really not a fan of the whole vortex campaign in general, and I'm mostly just looking forward to the mega map. I also wish I could spawn more than one intervention army at once. Even if it was capped at one each of low, medium, and high tiers. One stack just seems so worthless. I know it's basically impossible to lose the game but it'd still be nice if I could consistently shut down the other factions when I have lots of cash to play around with.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

toasterwarrior posted:

My greater mistake was letting the so-called "defensive" elves in the south-eastern islands seize momentum and conquer the poo poo out of Skaven coastline, leaving me under-funded and over-extended.

I hate these guys so much. Tor Elasor, right? They will inevitably declare war on you and it is an enormous pain in the rear end to root them out of their islands. In my last campaign as Last Defenders I spent the majority of turns 20-80 defending the coastline from them and building up enough infrastructure to send a three stack invasion force of their islands (2 stacks or less always lost in naval autoresolve). Taking out their island cities pretty much neutralized the threat (and turned into a nice cash province), but of course they took 1-2 a few settlements on the mainland and Queek decided to be a dick and attacked me while I was doing that, which took me another 10 or so turns to reverse.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty much going to have to secure two fronts with stripped-down armies and send off Kroq-gar to purge the islands eventually. I'm thinking it might be possible to gently caress with their AI some by splitting their empire in two and hoping they recruit new armies in the continent proper instead of the islands, leaving them open to dinosaur rampage.

Their islands are a huge pain in the rear end to take too. You will 100% need someone with lightning strike. What happened when I moved to invade them was they parked an actual army in the settlement and recruited a bunch of lords on each island so that I could only land one army at a time on the beach. This meant I either need to sail to the other side of the island and land on another beach (this is only possible for two of the three islands though) or land one army to face at least two empty stacks, the stack in the settlement, and the settlement garrison. If you sail around they'll bring reinforcements from another island, if you land and you don't have lightning strike, you're in for a tough fight. This was on VH so maybe the AI won't be quite as smart if you're playing on lower difficulties.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Vortex is funner than map painting but it needs tweaking.

Especially Chaos spawning in the inner ring of Ulthuan. WTF is the point of the gates?

I liked the Old World better as a setting/map better, this one has more interesting races/mechanics. The vortex map just feels really big in a way that WH1 didn't, and every faction start feels isolated from the action. Base game vs base game, WH2 is definitely better, but it doesn't feel as fun as WH1 yet. Probably due to the fact that it's still the base game and we don't have all the cool mods and DLC you can get for WH1 yet.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Third World Reggin posted:

I still have no idea how anyone is finding these rituals that hard to deal with unless you are running armies full of dragons and hellbeasts and can't afford to put walls and economy armies far enough out to cover what you should expect

The rituals are easy but stacks with siege weapons that can raze your minor settlements, even the ones with walls, the turn that they're spawned are very annoying.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think my first mega campaign is going to be Dark Elves for raiding/enslaving everything along the coast of the old world. Their roster is a lot of fun against the old world races too. Probably Skaven in the badlands for a three way war with dwarfs and greenskins after that, and then probably the Empire again. Their start is harder every time something new gets added so that should be interesting.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm pretty sure assassinate kills the hero/general unless their immortal, but not every hero can do it. Most heroes have a wound ability which just knocks someone out and makes them unusable for a few turns.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
All the elf factions are cool to me. Its fun to play as them and have an army of super warriors capable of winning battles against impossible odds, and it's also fun to drown them in worthless zombies or rats and burn their cities to the ground. Win-win.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, in the hands of a human player, Skaven are extremely powerful mostly because they get a lot of abilities that you can creatively use to gently caress with the AI. Coupled with an army that encourages a cavalier attitude with the safety of your core units, and you get a dangerous combination.

Yeah Skaven are so fun to play. I'm used to playing Total War as "keep your army as intact as possible" and it's kind of refreshing to play an army that relies on sacrificing your own troops in enormous numbers so a few elites can do the heavy lifting, it feels different than how Vampire Counts were played too. Big fan of the ability that makes your unit explode and damage everything around it, that's a ton of fun.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

William Bear posted:

Also, the people of Araby wouldn't stop rebelling, no matter how many torture posts I built, until I stationed an army there full-time.

natural insurgents, those Arabs

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
radious sucks

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Panfilo posted:

Not getting rites is bullshit but I'm guessing it was because it would take too long for them to come up with 4x rites for the other 8 factions that were unique, useful, and balanced.

Yeah that sucks. Even something generic that most of the others get where you get a random army, or can recruit a special lord, or improved army replenishment or whatever, would have been nice.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bretonnian Errantry war declared and you get a half stack of knights or something. See, this is easy.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Chaos has always been fun but people are bad at playing them.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

botany posted:

scorchingly hot take

we had a bunch of people who didn't know you can sally with the garrison army against a besieging enemy, so saying "lots of people are bad at this game" isn't really a stretch imo

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Still can't decide if I want to raid/enslave the world as Malekith, while simultaneously defending my victims from the Chaos invasion (since DE absolutely destroy Chaos), or if I want to Queek it up in the Badlands first.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Azram Legion posted:

I stopped playing 1 before the Foundation update. How much, if anything, did it change for Vampire Counts? Are the four factions from 2 the only factions that are up to date in ME?

Not much for Vampire Counts. Mannfred got a tweak where he recruits graveguards with more XP off the bat, and Kemmler got buffs that makes him suck a lot less, but that's about it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Mortal empires is fun but I've spent like 50 turns as Malekith consolidating fantasy North America and getting that in a good spot, not enough time raiding the lovely old world races, who I want to annihilate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ammanas posted:

The start of the game is really slow because of the extreme cost of fielding multiple armies. The balance on VH is ridiculous.

Definitely. On VH, what really helped me as Malekith was taking Ghrond right away since that province has a gold mine. It's enough to let you field enough armies to mostly keep things under control. I'm going to continue my campaign tonight and I think once I wipe out the norse factions I'll be read to pirate around the old world.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 27, 2017