Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Now that SFO: Grimhammer 2 is updated, I'd like to start a campaign with it, and I was wondering if more experienced/veteran players could give me some suggestions as to what race I might try and solid stack compositions for that race. I've been suggested to try the Empire, but their combined arms setup and having to customize stacks for the enemy you're facing seems a bit daunting. For reference, even after playing a handful of campaigns I'm still pretty mediocre at the game--- I never have played above Hard, for example, but managing battles can still be rough for me.

In my most recent games as Orks and High Elves I found a single unit composition that worked for me and ran multiple army stacks with a similar comp (a line of black orks and a batch of heroes backed by artillery and monsters, in the Orks' case, and a ton of ranged units with a Lothiern Sea Guard infantry line with their flanks guarded by Dragon Princes and dragons loving up their formations for the elves).

If anyone has any suggestions as to a campaign I haven't tried yet that would be good for someone at my skill level, and the best units to beeline for in that faction (especially pertaining to SFO), it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

So, following up on my last post, I'm narrowing down my SFO campaign to Dwarves, Elves or the Empire. For people who've played SFO recently, what would be a good shell for Empire? Obviously you have to customize some based on who you're fighting. I'd guess a line of Hammerers backed by Thunderers and artillery is still valid for Dwarves and a line infantry of LSG backed by Sisters with elites to break up charges and dragons to gently caress up formations is still valid for elves in SFO, but I haven't touched Empire even in vanilla.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

Can't go wrong with the 4 Halberdiers/4 Handgunners/4 Reiksguard Knights core. Add in a wizard, some Demigryphs, and your arty of choice, and baby you got a combined arms stew going. Even works with SFO's army caps option, for limiting insane doomstacks.
Halberdiers manning the line with handgunners firing into gaps and the knights acting as the hammer, I'd presume?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Zzulu posted:

The Grom campaign is so god drat fun

His cauldron is great. So many ways to make the goblins powerful.
What part of the map does Grom focus on anyway?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I exclusively play ME honestly.

Near Brettonia, though? Interesting. Doesn't that put him fairly close to Ulthuan?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

I've come to realize I like Lizardmen not just for giant dinosaurs as giant dinosaurs, but because their giant dinosaurs are readily distinguishable even when I'm zoomed out and taking a strategic view of the battle. So many other factions have fights where I just feel like I'm watching specks mosh with other specks or maybe shoot grey lines at specks, but with Lizards I can see my cool stuff fighting and smashing while still keeping an eye on the bigger picture. I even like Nakai as a lord just for being huge.

What other faction should I play for lots of Really Really Big Men?
I had a run of Grimgor recently that eventually crescendoed into a hyper-Waaagh against the Dwarves with each of my four stacks having a frontline of black orks and black ork big bosses, an orc shaman and river hag, a handful of doom drivers and four araconoks, and it was fun as hell

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Welp, I think a glitch might have ruined my SFO campaign. I confederated Yvresse in my SFO Tyrion playthrough, and Eltharion's character info says he should have the talisman of hoeth, but the item doesn't seem to be anywhere. And without the talisman Eltharion doesn't get half his stuff.

(and for the record, I didn't inherit the quest for it when I confederated him either. He was wounded when I confederated, maybe that borked something)

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 12, 2020

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Welp, I think a glitch might have ruined my SFO campaign. I confederated Yvresse in my SFO Tyrion playthrough, and Eltharion's character info says he should have the talisman of hoeth, but the item doesn't seem to be anywhere. And without the talisman Eltharion doesn't get half his stuff.

(and for the record, I didn't inherit the quest for it when I confederated him either. He was wounded when I confederated, maybe that borked something)
So good news: this quest popped after Eltharion was in the field for like 5 turns

Bad news: it’s against like 3 full stacks of chaos, and in SFO that’s a giant problem

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Jimmy Noskill posted:

Is there a goon consensus on SFO? I've always been of the "less is more, vanilla+" philosophy when it comes to modding, but I like the idea of many of the rebalances and changes that differentiate the factions. Does it actually work out in practice? Are the changes seamless and well-polished, or are things super janky and stick out like a sore thumb?
It's very well made and adds a number of features that make combat more dynamic, and the campaign is as a rule more in-depth and balanced than vanilla.

It's also, at times, frustratingly difficult, and it most definitely progresses more slowly and fights drag longer than in vanilla. I get it if that's not your cup of tea, it's not for everyone--- I like SFO and I still alternate in vanilla playthroughs.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Isabella is generally considered the better start. Play her with one of the "confederate defeated legendary lords" mods imo

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

My personal favorite Greenskins lineup abandons traditional archers entirely in favor of an orc shaman, river hag and Black Orc Warboss (for the Warboss' Training and the other ones' magic), a frontline of Black Orcs (who will virtually never break, especially when led by Gromgar), 2-4 Doom Drivers and like 6 Arakonoks (to sorta-be archers but mostly to gently caress up the morale of the enemy frontline) and it shreds through most stuff

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Most Elves in the levees of Ulthuan aren't thousands of years old, they might be 100 or 200 tops. Pretty sure Tyrion and Teclis aren't even over 500. Elves are always getting into so many fights that most of their older folks are either at home wounded or dead.
Many of those fights with themselves because of petty politicial drama!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

dogstile posted:

It's amazing how the elves think they're so superior when they seem to be just as bad as humans on the whole diplomacy thing.
Elves are great at diplomacy. Unfortunately they spend 95% of that diplomatic effort crafting sick burns on eachother

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

While the Wood Elves needed a rework, their needed changes were probably less extensive than the ones needed by Beastmen and Chaos Warriors.

If I was to describe Naggaroth as “Like North America, it all of North America was ____,” what would be the funniest and/or most accurate answer to the blank be? Nova Scotia?
Dakota

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

personally i think the demons should have chaos titties AND chaos penises
:hai:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Bloodletters should have huge swinging dongs imo
also the dong is a sword and they attack with it

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

There's probably some more weird trees they can dredge up.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

why does it take him so long to realize that the Druchii are following the true phoenix king
Because he's the leader of a group of elves from Nagarythe who never bowed to Maleketh and they took it real personal when he cursed their homeland to become a hell-waste for eternity by loving up the Vortex

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Creative Assembly need to stop being cowards and give us a historical Total War game game but with outrageous mythical units and magic based on belief systems of the time

Let me play Alexander the Great and he's as busted in melee combat as Grimgor

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Give me a Total War game but it's like Civilization and every area of the map is represented by a crazy, magical version of the most prolific society to historically live there

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

isn't that basically Warhammer?
well yeah, but even more explicitly

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I really hope that they do come up with something so that they can force the AI to not have abominable armies of like 10 Empire artillery pieces & 10 Greatswords; 16 Bwettonian cavalry; 15 Skaven Weapons Teams; a smattering of VCount top tier units that they raise from a site; and so on.
but I like having Orc hell-armies of 8 black orcs, 6 arakonoks and 3 doom drivers

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Think about using the underway as a form of looted transportation. Instead of stealing a busted up land raider and slapping some pointy bits all over it, they found a dwarven tunnel entrance and slapped some pointy bits all over it.
Yeah, the underway is so dense and useful in the World's Edge Mountains and surrounding areas compared to using it elsewhere in-game (goes further) because Dwarves started mining out everything beneath cities they used to own.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Why is the AI so bad at levelling up legendary lords? Just look at this poo poo. It took forever to get him to confed and by the time he agrees he's just garbage.

The Respec Lords mod is at this point mandatory for any playthrough I do

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean, that's on Epic. It is a bad platform.
Doesn't the Epic Game Store give a substantially beefier cut of game sales to the devs?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Yeah Orcs confederate super-easy now, it's a big reason why Dwarves is a hell-playthrough now

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Yeah having a hero with training just passively improves the quality of the troops in that stack, there's really no reason not to

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I haven't had a successful run with Skaven yet, which faction has a combination of the easiest start and best access to war crime poo poo? I've tried a couple times but was having trouble even winning the turn-1 fight because of Skaven's low leadership. But then, I'm generally pretty bad at the battle part of this game either way.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

No more? Skaven!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

So, I've never actually done a Skaven playthrough before. I figure with the DLC out I'll give Ikit Claw a whirl, because that campaign is broadly considered pretty easy and I'm pretty bad at the battle side of this game. Any tips for a solid start? Any ideas on what the new Skaven doomstack (especially one for Ikit) would be with the new units? It feels like the new armored training hero they got would contribute to the "several single-model units tarpitting enemy lines and weapon teams/artillery fire into the melee" strategy I've seen mentioned.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

So, something along the lines of the Lord, a Warlock Engineer/Plague Priest/Chieftain (4), 5 artillery pieces, 4-5 weapons teams/jezzails (17-19) each, a warpfire thrower and poison wind globes to fill out what's left would work?

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 3, 2020

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

So I'm having a weird thing happening in my very early Clan Skryre game: Skavenblight has a -5 corruption public order malus, even though it's 100% Skaven Corruption. Is that normal?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

My Ikit Claw game is going great. Running a lord, 2 plague priests, 2 warlock engineers, a frontline of 4 Ratlings with a Warpstone Thrower in the middle, 4 Plague-Wind Mortars, 3 Jessails, 2 Catapults and one Cannon. The warlock engineers amp the weapon team firing speed to an insane level, every battle looks like the invasion of Normandy. I got the Priests kinda late so I haven't gotten them their cauldrons yet, which means they aren't as survivable as I'd prefer yet especially for the role of going ahead of the front line and tarpitting with their summons, but I can see their potential already.

Got two fully-geared up doomstacks to that spec and I can almost afford a third by turn ~80. I've completely infiltrated the entirety of the Wood Elf forest and a good chunk of the southern Empire with undercities. Haven't touched the Border Princes yet because I wanted to gently caress up members of the ordertide a bit first before I expanded, and food's getting to be a bit of a problem.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 5, 2020

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

POV: You Are Grimgor Ironhide, And You Have A Huge Rat Problem

"Close Victory"

Clan Skryre is fun as hell.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

JT Jag posted:

My Ikit Claw game is going great. Running a lord, 2 plague priests, 2 warlock engineers, a frontline of 4 Ratlings with a Warpstone Thrower in the middle, 4 Plague-Wind Mortars, 3 Jessails, 2 Catapults and one Cannon. The warlock engineers amp the weapon team firing speed to an insane level, every battle looks like the invasion of Normandy. I got the Priests kinda late so I haven't gotten them their cauldrons yet, which means they aren't as survivable as I'd prefer yet especially for the role of going ahead of the front line and tarpitting with their summons, but I can see their potential already.

Got two fully-geared up doomstacks to that spec and I can almost afford a third by turn ~80. I've completely infiltrated the entirety of the Wood Elf forest and a good chunk of the southern Empire with undercities. Haven't touched the Border Princes yet because I wanted to gently caress up members of the ordertide a bit first before I expanded, and food's getting to be a bit of a problem.

JT Jag posted:

POV: You Are Grimgor Ironhide, And You Have A Huge Rat Problem

"Close Victory"

Clan Skryre is fun as hell.
The campaign these two posts are referencing has gotten kinda wild. The Vampire Counts all got wiped out super early, like by turn ~30 and I presumed that'd be super bad news for me, but as it turned out the Dwarves and Empire both scrambled to claim their territory, giving Grimgor plenty of time to eat a ton of the Dwarven underbelly. But while Grimgor was doing *that*, Clan Eshin and Clan Mors were eating huge chunks of the Badlands. As I finally finished eating the Border Princes, Eshin/Mors confederated, which told me I needed to kick it into overdrive and eat as much of the Dwarves' and Orcs' territory before they could. Now I'm rank 4 and Mors is rank 1 and combined we own more or less the entire bottom right corner of the map, soon the dwarves and Orcs will both be dead and I'll be in position to shank the Empire (who is 90% infiltrated by my undercities at this point) and the elves.

Tragically, Eshin/Mors got to Karak Eight Peaks before I did. But I got the entirety of Silver Road and most of Black Crag. I imagine that's kinda gonna be the DMZ between us until I decide to make them submit to me as the endgame superboss.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 7, 2020

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

EthanSteele posted:

There's definitely some units that feel like they're not great until you hit a critical mass and suddenly they're the best thing in the game.

For me that's bats and vargheists. They feel useless if you have like 2 of each, but when you have 4 bats and 3 vargheists they can crash into dwarves and then 10 seconds later they fly off and there's a shattered unit there like a skeleton left behind by looney toons piranha. Obviously pretty much any combo of 7 units will do that, but it's fun when its flyers! And that was before Isabella got the move to turn them into amazing shock... cavalry?? I guess the better term would be hammers cos that's 100% of the Vamp lineup, either anvil (zombie, skelton, armoured skeleton, skeleton hero) or hammer (literally everything else).

Wish I didn't need a tier 5 building for +1 banshee, but maybe they are that good and I don't know how to use them properly because I'm bad.
The fact that Skaven need a tier 5 building to get +1 Warlock Engineer is busting my balls in my campaign

I'm currently running two warlock engineers to juice up my weapons teams and two plague priests to tarpit in my Ikit Claw doomstacks but it's so much easier to boost the plague priest cap that I might switch to 1/3 next campaign

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 8, 2020

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I know Okoii uses a mod to remove the hero cap from armies but I've been messing around with a Grimgor + Blorc Big Boss stack and they are super good hero units. Their melee defense and armour stats are insanely good and they're great at killing undead or stubborn armies by just mulching through infantry and ganking monsters. Plus it's very easy to boost your hero cap for them so you'll have plenty running around smashing poo poo up.
when I play Orcs I run two big bosses, a troll hag and an orc shaman, with like 6 black orcs, and the bosses/blorcs make a mostly unbreakable frontline that let you do basically do whatever with the other 6 slots that aren't doom drivers.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So reading people's game experience with legendary chaos invasions a running theme seems to be the dark elves being wiped out within a few turns of chaos showing up, to the point it's a meme

Has anyone tried very hard chaos invasions? do the dark elves still get wiped out? does kislev easily hold back a very hard invasion?
I imagine it's something that'll end up patched by the next major bug fix patch with just how consistently they get destroyed in such a short time of them showing up.
Hell, I did a normal invasion and Malekith went from being the biggest faction in my game with like 30 settlements to being a secondary power with 10.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

So I had a battle yesterday that only amounted to a close victory despite it being an ambush. Granted, they were a bunch of human pirates with muskets, musket calvery, and cannons.

Still, I think I need to ask at this point: How do I Rat? As far as I can tell, Clanrats should be my backbone, though I do have Night Runners unlocked, though they seem rather expensive comparatively.
Which Big Rat are you playing? The answer will vary radically depending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

Do the Nightwatch buildings help detect undercities only in their little region or the whole province?
Are they even worth building? So far I've never encountered an undercity in the wild, outside of the very early one playing Tyrion. That is probably scripted to always be there.
WH2 is pretty brutal even on normal compared to the first one :unsmith:
I'm not positive, but after playing skaven I suspect the nightwatch buildings give the public order negation for corruption (the real reason to get it) for the whole province but only helps detect undercities in that one settlement.