Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Kainser posted:

Really hope Tyrion doesn't have the same issue that many factions had in warhammer one where you spend 2/3 of the game punching one race. Same with Morathi and Malekith for that matter since they are also surrounded by factions of their own race.

From the look of things there's nothing stopping you from completing your starting province and then sailing of to grab distant provinces.

For the Morathi start this seems optimal.
You need to get your starting province[1] and the Ritual resource site east of that[2].
The next closest Ritual resource sites are in Ulthuan[3] and northern Lustria[4], not very far from your starting position.
Or you can head west and fight Beastmen and Skaven. But there does not seem to be a Ritual resource site that way.

Fighting other Druchii serves little purpose beyond killing more elves.

[1] Iron Peaks
[2] South western province of The Black Coast
[3] Southern tip of Ulthuan
[4] Forests of the Viper

edit: The Bleak coast is a sea province...

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Kainser posted:

Witch Aelves are my favorite unit.

Morathi lives in the AoS.

Witch elves look amazing if you can get them to Frenzy a caster. No more spells and no running away!

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Darkrenown posted:

I know I'm going to seem uncool playing the first game here, but I tried it out tonight. Started up as the Empire and was doing fine in the kinda tutorial vs the Secessionists, but just as I as squaring up to finish them off an Orc army turns up out of the blue and wrecks me. They wander off and raze one of my settlements and the Secessionists sally out to finish my main army off. The next turn 2 hordes of Beastmen turn up and start raiding me. While I try to build a new army the unrest from all this raiding causes a revolt, and when I field my rebuilt army the Beastmen murder it. It, uh, escalated pretty quickly.

You've seen most of what makes the Empire start hard. If you survive all that you've got Noscan raids to look forward to.

All I can advise you is to be fast. Kill the Secessionists, grab Marienburg before Bretonnia does (you can join their war with Marienburg if they are at war with them for a quick relationship boost), kill raiding beastmen and Goblins (Only Skarsniks spider has any armor). Then get ready for Norsca.

When you feel safe and stable you've got Choas beelining for you. Don't worry to much about grabbing a lot of territory. It will just leave you over extended and will get you raided by Vampires to!
You can expand your lands quickly when Chaos starts razing all your neighbours to the ground.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

V for Vegas posted:

I know they're rats but the Skaven are a bit too drab brown for me - especially next to the bright blues of the Lizardmen. Probably blasphemous but I would like a mod that brightens them up a bit, or at least gives them some more differentiation.

Juggalo Skaven please.

Or glamrock Queek Headtaker.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Hammerstein posted:

Will Daemons of Chaos expand the map again ? Or is the map complete once we have Mortal Empires ?

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 2, 2017

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Yeah, breaking treaties has given you the "Unreliable" trait, instead of Trustworthy or Steadfast, so no-one trusts your treaties to be worth the tablet its carved into.

Over time your rating will recover, but I don't know how to speed that up.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Is there some way to find what possible traits Heroes can get?
I haven't found a list online and the in game knowledge base doesn't have it.

I'm looking for interesting stuff. Like when recruiting High Elf Mages they can have:

Entrepreneur
+3% Tax rate (factionwide)
+30% income from all buildings (local province)

That is really powerful. Good enough to leave the mage in the highest income province and consider his upkeep worthwhile.

If there is no online or ingame list, has anyone seen other interesting ones?
The above one was mentioned a few pages back.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
To spice things up, in my current Tyrion game I decided to ignore the rituals an have Tyrion banished from Ulthuan.

I spent the first 10 turns recruiting a hero, 9 bows and 9 spears. Then I demolished the buildings in his starting city and set sail for the southlands.

Picking up some treasure on the way quickly found myself in the gulf of Medes in central Southlands. There is a "Elven Ruins" sire there I could colonize, but its climate was red to me, so we kept sailing. I saved the game as the cult of Excess sieged my starting city.

I little further into the gulf we landed and trespassed on Tlaqua's land. Just north of that are 2 decent climate ruins, but with 100% vampire corruption I found those to hard to hold and did not offer the powerbase I desired. I reloaded the save.

This time I kept travelling east through Tlaqua's land and found some wood elves. Their Magic Forest province wasn't the best for High elves to live in, but it was a 10 building city. And the only city in the province. A short battle later and I found myself on turn 23 in a psuedo wood elf start.

From there I conquered the southern southlands. Croq'gar and the local dwarves quickly allied me while we cleansed the southlands of Skaven.

I have so far ignored the vampires to the north and I'm thinking of wiping out Pestilens on the other side of the pond.

I also reloaded the save and kept sailing to Tor Elasor instead of colonising the Southlands. Easy conquest, I took a minor city, went into amush stance and took out the main army when it turned up. I found Tor Elasor to be a very powerful location to take on both the Last Defenders and the Skaven. The wood elf start was more interesting.

In both I was way behind Rituals in both campaigns but I figure I can just wipe out the factions doing rituals.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

TheLastRoboKy posted:

conquering the entire map with Wood Elves with all the troop buffing outposts sounds kind of hilarious to be honest.

This is my plan also. I wonder if the Asrai get the High/Dark magic lores as well. I think they had it in tabletop.

@Wafflecopper, I'm not sure what happened there. The Victory type is determinied by comparing Starting army HP with Lost HP for both sides.
You want your army to have far less total HP than the opponent AND they need to lose a lot more HP than you.

Try it out in quick battle. Go have some Swordmasters and casters blender up a ton of skavenslaves. It's hard to say where the breakpoints are for the Victory types.

Edit: Looking closer, that Hero and dragon added a lot of HP to your army. It may be that the total HP for both armies was roughly the same.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 3, 2017

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Playing as druchii, I hover around 10k slaves. Mostly from battles and sacking other dark elves and chaos.

My provinces have a capacity for ~10k to ~14k slaves each.
Raiding gives me 40 to a 100 slaves a turn and seems like a waste of a general for very little return.

How do i get more slaves? At this rate I'd have to sack the entire world to get anywhere close to capacity.
Has anyone found good area's to raid for higher slave gains? I have not yet gone to southern Lustria and Southlands to see if Skaven make better targets.

It seems like I can't make good use of the dark elf "gimmick". Black Arks are great though.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 3, 2017

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Decus posted:

You get a lot of slaves from post-battle and from sacking as long as you spec'd generals into it--it's on the way to lightning strike and reduced upkeep, so generally a good idea--and black arcs also help. Humans/Skavens make the best targets because their stacks tend to have the most bodies. Lizardmen make the worst. Personally I've just been having one stack + black arc go around helve settlements picking weak targets to sack and then going back to sea on repeat. By the time it loops back around the island it's ready to sack the others again.

Raiding, in general, is only for trying to lure stacks out to attack you or as a "may as well" thing on the way to an attack if it'll take 2 turns to reach regardless. Just sitting around raiding is basically never going to be profitable since it's designed to be based on stack cost in the first place.

Thanks, I'll be trying that tomorrow evening!

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

"If at first you don't succeed, apply more Skaven"

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
I usually have it trigger shortly before the battle is over. (You may relate cause and effect here. :) )
You need a lot of kills (or deaths) for it to trigger.

In multiplayer 2vs2 and Free for All it triggers really quickly.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Is there a world map somewhere with all the trade resources on it? My google-fu was not up to the task.
I'd settle for just Lustria.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Gonkish posted:

The workshop is up and running now, for all your mod needs.

Is there a mod that switches armor around?
I would like the lizardmen to wear heavy elven armor.

...and the elves to wear just bodypaint.

Edit: There is a bug with the Ruby Ring of Ruin. Its cooldown only triggers if the caster is moving while using the ring. If you stand still you can spam-cast fireballs like a machinegun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UJpcQ_zkE

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 5, 2017

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Knobb Manwich posted:

No, but I really want to see it.

Ask and we shall deliver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UJpcQ_zkE

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Perhaps make naval combat like normal combat.

Have maps for battles at sea for armies to walk on. Put some boats on either side, themed by faction.

A magic-created sheet of ice, covered in water shallow enough to walk on. Skinks with their "aquatic" trait would shine here.

A tiny island, really more of a rocky slope. Whoever controls the high ground has an advantage.

A literal iceberg, with high ground.

A forest covered tropical island or a sandbank.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 5, 2017

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does anyone else get freezes during ritual cut scenes? Intro works fine and if I reload the autosave the cut scene usually works fine, but if I’ve been playing for a while, the map freezes and the voice over plays with no video, forcing me to restart.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/202879/crash-after-completion-first-vortex-ritual

I have 12 gigs of RAM so it's not this.

Someone in the previous thread had the same issue and solved it by disabling all the camera options during end-of-turn.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 6, 2017

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Here's an explanation on moving units in combat. It's old hat for the veterans here, but for me it was news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVZ3_PhLuyw&t=21s

From about 10 minutes in.

Some people are reporting that when they order units to chase routing units, the chaser attacks a little bit and then stops moving, letting the routing unit run away.
Could it be you're all having your units on Guard mode? Your units won't chase after enemies that are running from them if they are on Guard mode.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 6, 2017

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

SirPhoebos posted:

Is there a lore-reason for Wood Elves to be in not-Africa, or is it a case of CA wanting to have all the old factions on the new map?

They're not on this map. Ah but I see someone has found Oreon in the Lore a few posts below yours.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 6, 2017

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Third World Reggin posted:

Doombolt summons a homing attack from the sky and is good against single units. I haven't really seen it do a whole lot of damage even for the cost. Anything I could use this spell on I'd probably be shooting with darkshards and killing it faster. As far as homing goes, I swear I've seen it miss a few times or it did really poo poo damage.

Overcharged Doombolt deals armor piercing damage and can snipe enemy leadership fast. The homing is pretty good, but sometimes it still misses anyway.

Testing on a mounted Skaven Warlord.
Doombolt did 5% of total hp damage for 11 Winds.
OC Doombolt did 15% of total hp damage for 16 Winds.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 7, 2017

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

who is excited for norse to wipe out the empire and then skaven to move in

Skavenblight is going to be such a Thunderdome!
Estalia! Tilea! Dwarves! Wood elves! Beastmen! Orks from the south, Goblins from the north! Everybody hates everybody else!

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

@06:10 "Kriegshammer, bitch!"

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Pretty easy I'd guess? The composition of those armies is predefined.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The Dark Elves have finally landed on Ulthuan but other than Lothern itself does it make sense to try to occupy any of it, or should I just farm the poor fools for slaves? Sacking cities is insanely lucrative.- 15-40k gold and plenty of slaves on all the cities I've encountered so far.

I went with maximum slavery, circling Ulthuan while sacking. This was at the advice of the thread when I complained the Druchii gimmick of slavery was hardly usefull with so few people to capture.

I'm confederating other Druchii now just so I have places for slaves to go!

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 7, 2017

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Does the AI suffer attrition from Morathi's chaos corruption? It seems to not do anything to defend my lands.

QuintessenceX posted:

Anyone else notice that menace below is bugged? I just watched a spawned unit of clanrats melt my ancient stegadon :negative:

They have no-clip on so the can all stand inside each others models and attack what they're fighting. It's so they can properly spawn from the ground and tunnel.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 8, 2017

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

Your dudes really shouldn't have said all that stuff about their wine.

All we said was that Bretonnian vinegar is the best in the world and we don't understand why they insist on calling it wine.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 8, 2017

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
One victory condition is wiping out the other factions doing the ritual.
If you're having issues staying focused/bored of managing your sprawling empire; you could just grab 2 full provinces and make peace with your neighbours.

Then go crusade against other playable factions. Works great for slavery-happy Dark elves and trade-happy High Elves.

Skaven have issues on the high seas though. That autoresolve...

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

looks like faction unlocker updated so that some missing buildings are present and you can build more of the units

Do the Asrai work yet?

How many regions called "Vauls Anvil" are we up to yet? The high elves have one in Ulthuan, the dark elves named their own in Naggarond and the wood elves named the western part of Athel Loren that way to!

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Yes and I never have issues riding my war chariot up and down it.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
How about the Fay Enchantress with the life leech aura. Watch rats drop dead just from being near her. Same goes for vampire Black Coach.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
If at first you don't succeed, apply more skavenslaves.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

So about wood elves and their problems building places and ports

https://www.honga.net/totalwar/warhammer2/building.php?l=en&v=warhammer2&f=wh2_main_wef_bowmen_of_oreon

take a look at elven colonies and how far they can build up

I'm not sure how to interpret this. Just lvl 1 outposts everywhere? That seems fine.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Can you turn that around and play as the skaven? How well does that hold up if the skaven are screening with slaves, using spells and have a cannon or catapult of their own?

It's a serious argument, on paper the dawi look great. But on paper dino's look great to, yet get wrecked by Net of Amyntok and shooting, or single target magic.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 11, 2017

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

William Bear posted:

Ahh. That was satisfying. Behold the Eternity King!

I noticed a few achievements not triggering for building landmarks. Also, Khemri doesn't have a built-in garrison for Dark Elves for some reason. Too spooky to move in to? Otherwise, I'm taking a break to bask in my VH victory for a week or so.

That is nuts! Kudos to you! 300 turns seems like a short time do paint the map, most games last ~150 turns to the final ritual.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

William Bear posted:

Also, the people of Araby wouldn't stop rebelling, no matter how many torture posts I built, until I stationed an army there full-time.

The beatings will continue untill morale improves!

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

dead comedy forums posted:

Guys, any tips in optimizing the game's settings?

It is overall slower for me and chugs a bit more, even though the first game ran pretty well. I am on a i5-4690K, gtx 970 and 16GB of RAM and the game is installed on a SSD. Any particularly nasty settings that it is better to turn down/disable?

thanks in advance :3:

Turn Screen Space Reflections off. Shadows on High, the rest on Ultra. That gave me better results than everything on High.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Shadows and Fire are pretty good, but I've found the Lore of Dark magic to be dissapointing. What is so great about it? The recharge with Power of Darkness?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Genghis Cohen posted:

Some temporary conditions seem to add a lot to that. I was still in the fairly early game and dark elf spearmen under Malekith were free. Literally upkeep zero. But then it went back to some very low number eventually.

Similarly, I had the chance to replace a lord after a battle (she got surrounded and killed by about 500 skaven) and the replacement was starting level 17. Maybe he gets generals experience from the battle or something? The next turn I checked my normal rank for new lords, it's only 8.

When Malekith gains experience, a portion of that is duplicated to all his lords. Even the wounded ones.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Google tells me it is a problem with the steam overlay (shift+tab). No-one has found a solution. Total War games have had this issue popping up since 2015.

You could try to Activate the game application and/or kill the Steam process in task manager.