Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

https://youtu.be/OXQwx1EolD8

Good dissection of the video here. I'm optimistic about the future, definitely.

goddamnit, everytime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sasgrillo posted:

9 vampire lords

:nallears:

I think you'll find that these are pirates, actually.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: nvm

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 17, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

people getting piss about this are shameful

no-one in all of history has given a drat when the THIN lady sings

Those poor unfortunate souls.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ZombyDog posted:

Southern Realms as a DLC for Warhams 2 doesn't make a whole lot of sense as aside from some new world colonies they don't have a place on the Vortex map, meaning that it's a ME only DLC which doesn't strike me as all that likely.

Just make it DLC for 1. Its all the same game, people are going to buy everything CA puts out, c'mon now.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dongattack posted:

With Shogun 2 for instance you could come from any angle, out maneuver the (retarded) AI, maybe sneak some ninjas in key positions and take some towers, do some hit and run, etc. And i at least thought it was a lot of fun with a decent amount of variation. Weather would play a part, the level of the castle would matter and change the map itself. Warhammer has such huge potential to take all of this poo poo to a extreme level with all the unique units and fantastic setting, but instead we get the single line smoosh wall that you rightclick on and then wait until it's over, maybe throw out a spell or two and i think it's a crying shame of a missed opportunity.

Yea old siege battles used to be the highlight of Total War for me. Watch one of those intense, hour long Pixelated Apollo multiplayer games where the attackers are coming from every angle, every stage of the city's defenses are used, and it all ends in a desperate final standoff in the city square. There are no WH videos like that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Didn't they brag about not doing any market research?

Everything I know about Games Workshop comes from longtime Warhammer fans who have a million gripes about the company so I don't know how true that is.

e: vv Huh, learned a new word

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 21, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The UK used to own the world. Now they make expensive pewter goblins for an incredibly niche hobby. No wonder their Warhammer equivalent are a dying race of elves.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Man why does Arch Warhammer talk the way he does? It's like he's imitating a blue blood aristocrat who's about to be pranked by the Marx brothers. I think he's a Sargon dweeb too, really just all around the worst Total War youtube channel.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vampires. Don't. Lay. Eggs.

I won't tell you this again, Vlad has loving hair. They're mammals!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hey, Total War is the last chance to expand the lore and setting of the old Warhammer Fantasy setting. Might as well encourage them to make something new and cool for 3.

There's so few big factions left CA's going to have to do something like that if they want to meet their DLC quota

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If I was designing it, I'd look to the Song Dynasty for inspiration. You've got the highly advanced (relatively speaking) empire in decline and under constant siege by barbarians forces. They're on the verge of entering a new age with experimental gunpowder weaponry and arguably the first early modern economy. There was a badass kung fu general who almost turned it around but was killed by a scheming corrupt official. That already sounds like a Warhammer setting tbh.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Only if they hop around like those dorky jiangshi vampires.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Chaos worship IS less odious than Calvinism, now that you mention it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Most people think Kislev will fulfill the protagonist role. The reason people mention Cathay is mostly because there's not a whole lot of room for CA to expand after the initial factions. Araby will probably be a WH2 DLC and DoW will probably be a preorder bonus like Norsca.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It'll be that except Kislev.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Elves are lame. They're the yacht club preppies of every fantasy universe and its always fun to see them get dunked on. You ever see a working class elf? Exactly.

That's why everyone sides with the dwarves. They work, they're respectable.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

also the skaven are so busy fighting each other, and so cowardly, that the empire can reasonably keep up the appearance that they don't exist at all. they're a huge threat, but only in the same way the yellowstone volcano is a huge threat to us: it has to erupt first.

Just put some large glue traps down, it'll be fine.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This is the first I've heard of flail wielding orangutans and now I demand they be put in the game immediately.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Crotch posted:

All this has me thinking: what are the Iconically Western European animals? What would the Empire/Bretonnia equivalents of a Kislevite on a bear or a Mongolian-themed goblin on a wolf or a hypothetical African faction with zebras even be?

Well obviously there's the Griffon that Karl Franz has. Not a real animal but it is part eagle, and eagles seem to come up a lot more in western iconography than elsewhere. There's the Habsburg Eagle, the American bald eagle, the Napoleonic eagle, etc.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I only recently got this game on sale (well, Warhammer 1) after having played other Total War games casually and reading this thread for a long time. I just finished my first Empire campaign on Hard and while I did fine on the strategic layer I have no idea how to actually win battles compared to the other games. I had to autoresolve most of the later battles in the game because of it. I get the basic strategy of bogging down the infantry with a line of halberds and great swords while gunners and mortars bomb the poo poo out of them. But even against enemy forces where the power bar gives me a huge advantage, my melee line always breaks. Like they loving suck. Halberds are supposed to be anti large but monsters just wreck them the same as anything else. I don't know how to use my lord either, I usually wait until the enemy lord gets near and send him after him but Franz gets his rear end kicked regularly. This is the first game in the series where I intuitively understand the strategy layer but completely fail at the tactical battles.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Thats what I'm doing but basically Chaos armies and monsterous units trip me up.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Tudors aren't interesting either.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They were going to do minicampaigns originally but after noone played the Beastman campaign they dropped the idea.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This is a very pretty game, but have you played other Total War game? The sieges in the Warhammer games are the simplest in the series in a lot of ways.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just save the replays of big and important fights then come back to them to watch from the ground later.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Are the paid DLC races for the first game very fun? I've completed campaigns for all the free factions and I'm probably just going to move on to game 2 otherwise.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Demons are alright but the game already has endless varieties of skeletons so who needs them, really.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Never forget that GW discontinued WHFB in order to spell Elf in a way that they could copyright

"Never thought I'd die side by side with an elf."
"What about side by side with a Lumineth Aelven Realm-Lord of Hysh™?"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They just put out the last one. Not that weird for a strategy game, tbh.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: my birthday is september 11th and I think I actually got the bret/lizard set for my 9th birthday which was THAT 9/11

the lizardmen were appropriate then

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

kingturnip posted:

I've just sat through this video where some miserable Scottish person complains about hidden battle modifiers ruining his Total War experience, using the peerless examples of [checks notes] playing 3 Kingdoms and Troy on Legendary difficulty as the starting point for complaining about how bad modern Total War games are.

His complaints are so petty, I actually wondered whether it was a parody video, but no, he's got loads of videos where he just whines about how bad the modern Total War games are when you play them on the difficulty that makes them the exact sort of thing he hates.

I was really surprised that "miserable Scottish" Total War Youtube channel was NOT LegendofTotalWar

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I was going to ask how you'd do AoS without a world map since I've only ever seen that disc image but Googling gave me this?

I like how the equivalent of Indochina in this world is basically unchanged.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

drat, they really made Elsa into a badass in this one, huh?

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 3, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CA has basically already said they won't be doing Araby.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pretty sure they already sell the previous Warhammer games in China, guys. The ship has sailed on skeleton land.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: you said default map of WH2 not ME, oops

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

Cathay: 震旦天朝 Zhèn dàn Tiāncháo “Celestial Dynasty of Aurora” - I feel they pulled this by starting with the sound of 契丹 Q́dān (Khitan, an ethnicity that ruled the Liao dynasty just before the mongols wrecked poo poo up and from which we get Khitai, which is the basis of the English word “Cathay”), and then searched around until they had a couple of characters that sounded more traditionally Chinese.

震旦 Zhèn dàn is a Mandarin rendering of an archaic Indian word for China from the Middle Ages.

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%9C%87%E6%97%A6

Fun fact: when I looked up what people were saying on a Baidu forum about it, some of the users used the term 蒸蛋 Zhēng dàn, meaning "Steamed Egg" as a joke name for it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Can't believe they're finally adding it to Warhammer...

https://i.imgur.com/Ekrytmt.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kislev needs to have Yetis.