Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Panfilo posted:

What units do you use for armor piercing melee work for Skaven? They don't have a great weapon version of Stormvermin, only sword+board and Halberds. I suppose censer bearers fit the bill, since they have armor piercing, armor sundering, poison, and frenzy. Though they have like no armor so it seems you need to bog down units with slaves/Clan Rats and attack from behind with the censer bearers.

Rat Ogres are pretty good.

Or just bog them with chaff and use Poison Wind Globadiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Goddamn, I've been playing Skaven and having a blast and finally beat a campaign. Booted up Krox'gar's and holy poo poo his Feral Stegodon is invincible and just racks up hundreds of kills while the Sauruses awkwardly waddle in to get a sword in edgewise.

I love big dinosaurs stomping on everything. :allears:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, honestly the only race that's really going to struggle with the new poo poo is Dwarves and they already had issues with basically everyone else anyways. Dwarves really suck.

Empire/VC/Brettonia especially are still probably top tier. Buffed magic means excellent things for them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Was magic actually buffed across the board other than campaign effects and the ability to retarget AOEs? I've been hearing that a lot of stuff is unchanged, it was just used less

Being able to retarget AOEs is absolutely huge.

Also a bunch of magic was buffed to ridiculousness in the last patch of TWW1. There's a weird meme in this thread that magic is bad, but even in game 1 it was really good and this has made it even better.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Skaven are all about the Rogres for me. They're cheap, fast and hit like trucks and can mow through poo poo while its clogged up by my billion clanrats.

Throw in a Warp Lighning cannon and some magic for flavor and you've got yourself a stew.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I really wish Mazdamundi started with a dino like Krox'gar. He and his starting Stegodon carried me through his campaign and hilariously clowned all over everyone.

why do dinos take so long to get :(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, a Lizardman heroic core can hold off approximately infinite rats and it absolutely owns.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Anyone else think its kinda weird Dark Elves keep their weird slaughter mechanic in multi but Skaven don't keep Meance Below.

Wanna summon clanrats without bringing a Plague caster :negative: Ruin has all the iconic Skaveny poo poo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Pendent posted:

The menace below would be insanely busted in multiplayer though. It lets you shut down artillery or other squishy stuff literally at will, regardless of positioning.

Yeah, it would be pretty great.

You could probably do charges of it as an expensive lord ability, like 1k a pop, which would give it some trade offs though I understand why they didn't do it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Right now I'm convinced Dwarfs are completely hosed against Skaven because they are certain to get outgunned, and their main counter to enemy artillery can get still get destroyed easily thanks to the Warlock's aerial snare. I wonder if Dwarf Cannons also got bonus explosive damage to compensate...

You forgot the Doomwheel which will just run roughshod all over them since it works like a super chariot.

The only decent matchup the Dwarves might get from the new races is High Elves since they weirdly lack armor-piercing ranged.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

dead comedy forums posted:

So gents I finally cleared some time for this

What are our must have mods by now and relevant stuff like that, pretty please

Workshop opened like yesterday so there are no mods.

Or at least no good ones.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

cheese posted:

I'm curious if they will give Runesmiths a buff now that magic in general is better. They will be at a big disadvantage now - I know my Skaven armies completely trounce dwarves with the great wind spells.

Its weird because during the last TWW1 patch where they mostly majorly buffed magic, runesmith stuff got nerfed. And they were already fairly weak.

Dwarves are probably straight hosed against everyone (except maybe High Elves?) right now. Lizards/DE/Skaven are going to absolutely run all over them. And they were already the weakest W1 race after Chaos got their RoRs.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So what goes in skavenblight

Presumably Thanquol or another lord when they're released.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Repost: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/201979/warhammer-2-changes-to-wh1-races

Stoked to see Irondrakes of both varieties getting buffed. If there's an area where I believe Skaven are inferior to Dwarfs, it's dedicated ranged infantry, even with how terrifying the poison grenadiers are.

Ooof, lot of weird nerfs here.

Savage Orcs losing their physical resist, Dwarven cannons losing their anti-large, Demigryyfs in every stat.

Wardancers got absolutely massively buffed too. +15 models :eyepop:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Panfilo posted:

They're both pretty good. Queek is a good 1v1 powerhouse that has really good armor piercing capability, and Skrolk gets an AoE stink cloud passive that lets him wade through enemies and slowly sandblast their HP down along with his AoE spells.

Skolk also gets the Liber Bubonicus which is the most powerful single target spell in the game atm. Its absolutely ridiculous.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Diogines posted:

Is there any word on if the ogres will be DLC?

They'll probably be game 3 since they're one of the few races with an army list that isn't represented yet and their homeland is off of the map.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Have they said anything about potential new starting positions for the races in Mortal Empires? What i mean is for instance can you choose to start somewhere in the New Worlds as Dwarves for instance or are we locked to the tried and true spawns?

We only know Queek starts somewhere near K8P and Teclis got moved since his start is off the map. No word on any of the Game 1 starts.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Any thoughts on Deathglobe Bombardiers Vs the warp flamethrowers? I've been using the warpthrowers so i don't really know how the grenadiers fare.

Globadiers are about a billion times better. They don't get obstructed and come in 'fucks up Large' and 'fucks up Infantry' varieties.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

NeurosisHead posted:

Not starting with my Phoenix and bolt thrower as Tyrion was a little bit of a shock. :(

Yeah, I miss Queeks Rogres :(

At least Kroq'gar kept the Stegondon!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Phi230 posted:

I kinda think I'm gonna skip Warhammer 2 because I really only want it for Mortal Empires, and I know in like a year they'll come out with Warhammer 3 anyway with all 3 games combined.

I'm playing Napoleon for the time being

You will likely not be able to play any of the WH2 races if you do it this way mind.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Phi230 posted:

why not? Would Mortal Empires 2 or whatever comes out during Warhammer 3 not include the WH2 races?

Mortal Empires 1 doesn't feature the WH1 races unless you own WH1 or the DLC they're in.

Like they're enemies on the map, but if you only own WH2 you can only play as those factions.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, literally the only thing I'm looking forward to in 3 is like Ogres and an out-of-nowhere Halfling faction or something.

2 is getting all the best races; Lizards, Rats and Tomb Kings.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Plavski posted:

Is it possible to mod in the RoR units from the foundation update? I really want them flaming treemen again.

You could probably do it, though it would take a significant amount of work. It'll be much easier just to wait for the update to release.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Devorum posted:

What's the best LL for an Empire start? I went with Franz way back when TW1 came out, but I kind of want to do Balthasar. The priest guy seems interesting...if you're super into flagellants.

Gelt is really good ever since Metal got buffed. Karl is just sort of a generic combat lord with no really interesting buffs. Plus he's probably the weakest dedicated combat lord in the game.

Like I'm fairly sure even Queek and Skarsnick beat him 1 on 1.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

So I've been playing a ton of quick battles, pretty much all as Empire with a core of spearmen + handgunners + royal gryphites and cavalry to flavor with boris/foot captain/wizard for heroes, or volkmar/witch hunter/wizard if I don't feel safe in the air. Any advice on what to bring in particular against certain factions?

Flagellants are great in most matchups unless you're going against heavy missiles. They're unbreakable so they can hold the line forever and Empire has pretty lovely infantry overall so buying time for your own missiles/Cav/Artillery to do their work is key. Greatswords can be good in matchups where you need anti-armor, but they're mid-tier infantry at best so don't expect them to crush Black Orcs/Executioners/etc. They do remarkably well against similarly middling infantry like Storm Vermin though.

Hammer of the Witches is good in basically every matchup. The Templehof Luminark RoR has a net of Amnytok on a cooldown so it's incredibly good against certain factions that lack heavy missile play, I like to bring it against Lizards/Vamps/Chaos/Norsca/Beastmen.

Really the Empire's whole thing is being good but not perfect at any one thing. So bring your good infantry in to crush factions with poo poo-infantry (skaven), go wide against factions that bring really elite units (Helves, Chaos, Delves), Knights of the Blazing Sun combo really well with Fire Wizards against factions that tend to have fire weakness (Welves, Norsca, Vampires), Fate of Bjuna is great vs factions with hella expensive line units like Helves, Chaos, Delves, Dwarves, healing is good when fighting attrition etc. The rule is bring what your opponent is weak at, don't try to throw your 'good but not great' stuff at the stuff they specialize in and expect a win.

Really the best magic is almost always Death (for killing huge expensive pieces like Malekith or Swordmaster of Hoeth), Life (Healing vs big swarm factions), Fire (if you go all in on it and burn everything down vs a fire weak faction), or Light for lockdown of big melee threats like Helf cav or Lizard Dinos.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 2, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I have a feeling that we're getting Chaos Dwarves this game, not game 3, since the Mortal Empires map has a huge chunk of blank space where the badlands would be

Mortal Empires isn't the focus though, the Vortex is. Any DLC will be integrated there primarily so...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Start em in the spine of sotek or karak zorn, add some unique buildings around the map, there's your start

They already committed to WH3 though. Robbing one of the races from that when you have a bunch of untapped stuff that already fits on the Vortex map seems short-sighted.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

WH1 added 4 new factions over its lifespan, we're on the docket for Tomb Kings and likely Araby. Southern Realms are also a chance, but they are in the same boat of having a much more impressive presence on the ME map than the vortex map. Who else are we expecting? No more factions until game 3 in two years? That seems a little silly

I figure either they spread it out or we get a wildcard faction. Amazons, a horde human mercenary faction built around looting abandoned cities, or Vampire Coast would be my guesses for a third DLC faction.

The problem with Chorfs is you're robbing Peter to pay Paul. You still need 4 launch races for WH3 and DLC races and I'm already predicting Halflings or something to shore everything up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Fuligin posted:

Feel like it would be hard to distinguish amazons; wood elves and norsca both kind of fulfill their archetype imo

Not really? Their whole thing is having access to a bunch of weird super tech like 40K Bolters, ICBMs and Lightsabers.

They'd play more like Skaven in practice with some small elite weapon teams/monsters bolstering decent line troops.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 3, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I thought Skaven used like muskets and stuff?

They are missing some units. Notably Ratling gunners (machine gun weapon team), Jeazzail rifles (huge rear end sniper rifle weapon team) and none of their heroes are using Warplock pistols. Which are basically flintlock pistols that shoot irradiated bullets

They don't have like normal longarms though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Death runners are not great mainline troops because of their low model count, they're better as supports, and even then regular longbeards trade pretty well with them. Warp lightning cannon + stormvermin is a shitload of investment vs the price of gyros, who can still easily dodge shots with their low model count. Throw a warplock engineer in there (when you really want lore of plague as your lore) and that's even more investment.

There are tools in the skaven army to deal with dwarfs but it's not a favored or even matchup.

You can bring a Warlock engineer with his Mortis Engine item and Howling Warpgale for like 600 gold. And you should in basically every matchup since Mortis effects are ridiculously good and Howling Warpgale shuts down any flying unit for a trivial amount of winds and lets you shoot them down.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I mean, you probably shouldn't bring warp lightning cannons against dwarves. Doomwheels absolutely gently caress them up way better than any artillery piece can.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

TBH the only reason I might want to use SFO now is some of their added units. I liked the Sigmarite Disciples as an "elite" version of Flagellants that could do AP damage, the Dwarf Engineer squads were great, and the Longbowmen-at-Arms gave me an idea for a Bretonnian army that ran no melee infantry at all. Fortunately, this skill revamp mod I'm using consolidates Flagellant bonuses into Honest Steel so there's no need to use them, and Gejnor's Dwarf mod makes Master Engineers much easier to get so I don't really need Engineer squads anymore. I guess a mod for Longbowmen-at-Arms might pop up one day.

I mean, the issue with this is that armies have built in deficiencies. Empire don't have great elite infantry, for instance, which is good and important because they already have incredibly strong ranged/cav/magic/artillery. Just giving them elite infantry does this dumb thing where all the factions get homogenized to hell.

Like its deliberate that the Empire has the shittiest line infantry in the game except for Bretonnia. Its an important thing to make them actually feel unique and not obnoxious to play against!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mordja posted:

Yeah, big, monstrous lords typically beat walking dudes because they can push them around so much. This applies to Kholek except that he also has amazing stats and can whomp the poo poo out of dragons.

Yeah, Kholek and Kroq'gar (on Gimloq) are both insane in that way. Kholek probably edges Kroq'gar out 1 on 1, but Kroq'gar has healing and his faction has even more of it so he tends to win in practice too.

After them it comes down to 'Lords who can ride a Dragon' followed closely by 'Lords who can ride a Wyvern' for that sweet poison. Then probably Durthu, then most of the mounted guys with Slann on the Stegodon being top tier here and finally the foot guys with Ghorst on his cart being hilariously last.

You also have some ones that are bad duellists in there that wreck massed enemies. Skaven on the Plague Furnace/Screaming Bell, Volkmar on his Holy Wagon, the chariots etc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

The downside of this is that the bigger and more monstrous your lord is, the easier they are to shoot. I think that in practice Kholek is one of the weaker lords, because I never TRY to 1v1 him with my general. I just shoot him with 2 units of handgunners while he crunches through some spearmen or something.

This is really faction dependent. Like he absolutely wrecks VC since they lack missiles and good anti-large options.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

That raises a point that I have been meaning to ask. How do Vampire Counts fair against Lizardmen?

In multi its arguably VC's hardest matchup.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Does anybody use the lore of beasts for lizardmen?

Sometimes. Flock of Doom is still real good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Gejnor posted:

And then it turns out that, no, actually its the Dark Elves who have the absolute best ranged.

Almost all their range is AP damage and ALL their range has 2x projectiles per volley which means they will SHRED anything that dares to come close. They also have access to Shades which are basically like having that regiment of renown free company unit with stalk, except they are even better in melee AND range, for Every. Single. Unit.

Their melee is great and they have access to really good monsters and heavy cav.

And when their murderous prowess proccs they process to hulk out and any battle that is touch and go basically turns into a slaughter-fest in your favour.

Oh and Malekith is Mannfred V.2 in that he is super loving OP, great at magic and great in melee, slightly less self-healing but still good enough to keep him going for longer.

Yeah, Dark Elves are kind of ridiculously broken at the moment. You didn't even mention what I consider their greatest bullshit ability; Witch Elves forcing units engaged with them to rampage. That absolutely fucks over just about everyone.

Also Dark Magic has better self healing than any other lore of magic which lets Malekith do the dumbest bullshit and heal through it. And his dragon is the second strongest individual mount in the game, and the strongest any LL gets access to since Tyrion sticks to horses like a chump. He'll lose 1 on 1 in a straight fight to Kroq'gar on Grimloq or Kholek... if you keep him directly in melee and don't use his spells, flight and dragonbreath. I'm pretty sure he can literally 1v1 everyone else and win on his dragon without even touching his spells except for a Helf lord on a Star Dragon iirc.

Easily the strongest MP faction and facerolly in campaign unless you play with Morathi who has dumb campaign mechanics and is just a really weak lord overall.

Zore fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 28, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

packetmantis posted:

What’s the best mount? Don’t leave us hanging.

Star Dragon that generic High Elves can get but Tyrion and Teclis can't like chumps :argh: Star Dragons are absurd units.

One of the reasons Tyrion is so underwhelming as a combat lord.

I do find it kind of ironic that High Elves have the best monsters in the game and arguably the weakest ranged (since all their archers have gently caress all AP). Even Goblins and Ungors are better against armor since they have more models peppering out their 1-3 damage arrows at a time.

Zore fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Quote is not edit]