Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any kind of "Total War for Idiots" guide I can watch/read?
I primarily need help having combat explained to me because I don't understand anything that's going on in the combat phase or what I should be doing other than just sending all my units forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Three Kingdoms seems like the perfect opportunity to use legendary lords in a history game.

Just finished watching the trailer and I guess it's basically confirmed that they and/or heroes will be used.

If Lu Bu won't be able to slaughter thousands of grunts on his own then I'll be disappointing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really want to like this game but maaaan, I can't think of any other game that's so incredibly uncomfortable to look at. Both the campaign and battle views are a total mess.
They have a poo poo ton of very detailed unit and environment models that look amazing in screenshots or if you zoom in all the way but when you try to play the game normally all those tiny moving overly-detailed models turn into a complete mess of shimmering pixels, and the fact that they didn't bother to implement any kind of modern anti-aliasing makes that problem even worse.

I seriously can't think of any other game that a graphics style this distracting. It's a shame.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I had two Lords encircling a Scaven city, ready to completely demolish it without any effort with only one weak Scaven Lord sitting inside.
Then somehow he managed to ambush both my lords, which would've been fine if not for him getting city reinforcements both times and me obviously not getting any since I got ambushed.

What kind of god drat horseshit lets Scaven convert a terrible sure-to-lose situation of a 2v1 siege into an incredibly advantageous situation of two 1.5v1 ambushes?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Devorum posted:

Skaven have a chance to ambush on the attack. It's one of many things that makes them awesome.

Even when attacking out of a sieged city? That's loving bullshit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Eej posted:

It just sounds like you're mad you got owned by rats

I'm not gonna deny. I am kinda mad that I got RNG hosed so hard that a guaranteed victory suddenly turned into a complete wipe.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ardent Communist posted:

What were you waiting for anyways? You had a massive advantage and you encircled, which makes it sounds like a town that didn't have walls, instead of attacking? Wouldn't be the first time somebody snuck outside of town and surprised the defenders. It's not really bullshit if something like that could and has happened in real life, so it just sounds like you got outplayed. Which is a good thing in a single-player game, since otherwise it's just a steam-roll. Make another couple stacks and go murder those rats.

It was a city with walls.
I was going to wait 1 turn to build a battering ram, so I could attack at all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Geez, people complain about Paradox games being full of jank, bugs, and inconsistent rules but holy poo poo even Stellaris at launch was nowhere close as frustrating to play as Warhammer 2.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd love to have whatever game you guys seem to be playing.
The one that doesn't visually look like a total mess and one that isn't full of jank and inconsistent rules.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ammanas posted:

Lol
No one is sharing your experience, friend.

I wasn't really looking for back pats. Only to vent because of how frustrating this game is. :shrug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any beginner guide out there that can help me learn combat?
Because right now, the peak of my strategy is making sure that my ranged units are behind my melee using when I do attack-move with my whole army.

EDIT: Also are there any must-have QoL mods for this game?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have the developers said anything about updating the engine for the next game?
Right now the game is so loving ugly it makes me want to barf, especially whenever any kind of foliage is present, which is almost always. It's probably the ugliest strategy game I've ever played.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I mean, this is a screenshot from steam store page. You know, the screenshots they're using to show off the game?
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/594570/ss_48c4d7b7c0ae11978b6f29fe58c3006802ee9651.jpg

Does this look good? It looks even worse in motion because they didn't bother implementing any anti-aliasing method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

orangelex44 posted:

It looks fine, considering that said screenshot is with a zoom level you’ll rarely be at for more than five seconds. Most game visuals break down somewhat when inspected too closely. I certainly wouldn’t classify it anywhere near “the ugliest strategy game I’ve ever played”.

I don't know, I looked through strategy games in my steam library and the only other game that was actively uncomfortable to look at that I played was Age of Wonder 3, for the largely the same reason.