Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Is Grimgor Ironhide playable? And if so, is he as fun to use as he is annoying to fight against?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

After trying out each of the W1 races, I think I am going to do back and do-over my Empire campaign with a better understanding of the game.

I just can't stop missing the Mortars when playing other races. Dwarves were a close second, but I didn't like their artillery quite as much. Their infantry was crazy to start the game though, I would fight Greenskins and lose like, 15 men in a battle with over a thousand on each side.

I went with Franz again instead of trying out Gelt, I find the magic to be pretty situational and I am just going to red-line my LL this time instead of making him a good individual fighter.

I think played through each Total War I own, in order, and Warhammer has no doubt the best combat since Shogun 1, glad I made the journey upwards and am not trying to do Attila AFTER this.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

If you like Mortars (they're awesome), then Dwarf Flame Cannons should've also been your poo poo. Hell, they're more effective since their shots have a faster travel speed yet still have a great arc for lobbing into the rear of enemy melee, while also having more damage and an insanely high firing speed for an artillery piece.

Those are pretty drat sweet too, but theres just something about the Mortar's that make me feel like warm and fuzzy inside. I think its the impact and firing sounds.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

No. Expendable is specifically a trait about routing in Warhammer 2. If a unit sees another unit routing that's expendable then they don't take a morale penalty. Undead cannot route, so they can't be expendable.

Does this apply in Warhammer 1 as well? I had no idea this was the case and I might have stuck with Bretonnia a bit longer if so

God drat what lovely infantry those factions have

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Its good to know I shouldn't be going based off the green text. I didn't even see the abilities at the bottom of the unit card

This thread is so helpful :)

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Be sure to mouse over their weapon strength to get the exact numbers. A unit with armor piercing icon just means it does more ap damage than regular, but the exact amount varies across different units. Some units aren't described as armor piercing but get a respectable amount regardless, just not more than their regular damage.

Same thing with anti large or anti infantry. The bonus can vary a lot; there's a big difference between +5 dmg vs large and +50.

Ahhh, I almost forgot this was a Total War game. poo poo is just not going to make sense sometimes.

Thanks again!

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Fighting undead armies is such a nightmare. Somehow these muthafuckin Von Carsteins have a never ending supply of RoRs and their tendency to build armies with 4 heroes backed by 3000 other units means every fight is a pyrrhic victory slugfest. I've fully committed to just pinning them with infantry and danger close bombing the gently caress out them.

At least I'll never get tired of watching arty splash down on hordes of enemies (who then get back up as eat swordsmen face)

gently caress grave guard

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I think I'll need to restart my Empire campaign. I let the undead factions grow out of control and now I am starting to fight off Chaos coming at me from the north and Mannfred and Vlad are straight loving me from the East. The other Empire factions are weak as hell and confederating them would just have me getting destroyed personally by the stacks they are fighting.

Is the best way to go ahead in the future to actually send stacks into allied territory and help fend off attacking/sieging armies?

I don't have Warhammer 2 but I might pick it up cuz it sounds way more interesting than the races available in TWW1 while keeping the gameplay the same (which I really like, esp compared to older TWs).

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I have been playing a ton of Vermintide 2 lately so I decided to get TW:W2 and fire up a Skaven campaign.

Holy poo poo only a masochist would enjoy this. Even quality units struggle against these basic Lizardmen.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Thanks for the tips, I will probably restart my Queek campaign and try out pushing out some rat ogres asap. I have since started a Settra campaign and have seen the light on the reinforcement stack of scrubs strategy.

Once I have watched this cat eat a few more million orcs I'll give the ratmen another go

Thanks again goons

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Not sure if there is a generic TW thread this should go into but CA just posted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ktIDrGqImo

After the shitshow that was settlement battles in WH1/2 I am pretty excited for Britannia

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

After realizing that Thrones is based on Attila and not Warhammer I decided to refund my pre-order and wait for more info

Still interested, hope some goons have positive feedback on Friday

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I am 90ish turns into my TK campaign and holy hell this is fun to play. I went as Settra because Settra does not serve.

In terms of the advanced military buildings, which units are best? The kitty has no doubt carried me this far in the campaign, and getting another one might just make it all a roll.

I have never really liked Spellcaster units, but I am probably just not using them right or not understanding what that trait means.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Well this looks rad, I am glad I don't know enough about Warhammer to sperg about details and stuff but still enjoy the universe

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

drat I'm stupid, I didn't realize I needed to log into the total wat website to unlock the RoRs for mortal empire...

I didn't see anything else worth claiming, but could someone let me know if there's some freeLC I'm missing out on

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

In any of my Bretonnia campaigns fighting WEs is basically a waste of time and lives. Every battle is just them melting my entire army with AP arrows from further away than my archers can respond to.

Which sucks because Bretonnia is my favorite faction and love the idea of my peasants holding the line while my glorious knights obliterate everything.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I've tried playing DEs a few times and they never took to me.

I have literally never spawned a Black Ark, how badly did I gently caress up?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Downloading a passive AI agent mod (and not using them myself) has made this game so much more enjoyable for me. The amount of AI agent actions in the game is crazy and it feels like you just lose things you spent time building up with no way to counteract it.

At least now when my agents do die it is in glorious combat and not some lovely offscreen death

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I'm just getting into a hellebron campaign and Ariaelle(sp?) just showed up out of nowhere on my border. Marched an entire army of level 1 spearmen and archers plus some sister's all the way up to Ghrond.

I fought her in the field rather than let her siege and had a valiant defeat, mostly due to the sisters of avelorn instantly melting whatever they shot at and I was building an army to go gently caress up some norscans, not stand up to an elf arrow shower.

But now she is stranded way the gently caress up here, with maybe 250 of her 1300 unit army remaining and taking attrition. Is this normal? Its basically a suicide rush. I don't remember ever seeing the cpu do this without an absolute doomstack

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Gejnor posted:

Alright friends, i've made another mod, this time a startpos deal..

(Start this up before you read the next few words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXjmIOvZplU )

Want to fight Rats as any of the old world factions? Like, a lot of rats?

Well look no further:

Children of the Horned Rat: Old World Vermintide

For whatever reason I can't look at the images on mobile.

Approximately how many rats can I exterminate with Bretonnian steel with this mod?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Gejnor posted:

Okay so lemme give it to you straight,

Tilea and Estalia will be gone at turn 3, poor lil bastards have been the victims of the council's plans and will be the domain of Clan Skryre.

Added to this is the fact that Clan Skryre have planted themselves in all the minor bretonnian settlements not controlled by a player faction, this should mean you will feel their effect immediately, and if you try and take them you will have to face the might of a southern realms (sans border princes) controlled Skryre.

In the Empire and Kislev its split between Rictus, Mors and Pestilens. Moulder has taken Northern Oblast as well, Kislev is split but still alive, but for how long?

Just reading this has filled me with a sense of dread. Once I finish up my Hellebron campaign I'll definitely give this a spin.

I imagine it makes creating alliances with the other factions much easier since you're all killing rats all the time, so hopefully the vermintide can be held back with the power of friendship

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

drat I've been avoiding getting sorceresses going during my Hellebron run, I'm gonna have to change all that for my attempt at the HE mainland push..

I've never managed to effectively use a spellcaster but a flying fire horse is extremely my poo poo

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Been playing a Mazdamundi campaign lately and I just lost my first battle like 70 turns in and I almost ragequit the campaign.

These dinos ain't supposed to lose

It's been fun being able to stomp through the early game, but as the other races catch up I am having to vary my tactics from "right click enemies" which has worked so far.

The economy and public order seem exceptionally easy though? Maybe I should have played on a higher level than normal

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Good luck, every time I built a black ark an enemy goes out of their way to snipe it in the sea. Even when that means leaving capitals exposed to do so

The AI just really loving hates those boats

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

A mod that replaces all siege battles with just a bare open field would be preferable

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Hopefully TW3K does this well

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Dwarfs kinda suck (for random start pos) since you'll have some grudges you can't realistically complete, but Ungrim's slayers are absolutely unbalanced when fighting almost any early opponents and I spent 50 turns feasting on dark elves with like, 10-20 losses per battle

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

Always ignore grudges. They will solve their selves.

All I need now is advanced start to work better with random start and I think I would be set.

Yeah but this one is a turn 1 grudge to consolidate the home province, which in my game was on the literal other side of the map

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Is the random startpos mod only supposed to affect the player? I just realized everyone else spawned exactly where they were normally do

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

hhhmmm posted:

No amber mod helps

I feel like this would make WEs way too good, unless the mod also does a lot of balancing around it

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Punching a hole in the enemy walls and having literally thousands of armored rats pour through is something to behold even with my computer being brought to its knees in the process.

This is how I always imagine playing skaven will go but I just end up getting slapped silly by dinosaurs and everything else

I think I need to focus more on arty on my ratmen playthroughs

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

C&C is actually a terrible mod. Not sure why everyone has gone gaga over it.

I play too much TWW2 and mods help it feel new even when it ain't.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I'm not too familiar with how DLC comes out for Warhams, would any announcement today be coming out in a few months or pretty soon afterwards?

I don't know much about the lore but pirates and undead pirates sound cool

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

with cannon arms

just take my money already damnit

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Anno posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1524091553

But it's being implemented in an official capacity when the Vampire Coast launches in less than a month.

I installed this but I still never actually get into any sea battles, anybody actually get into one?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

It taken me a long time but I'm finally enjoying a Grimgor campaign. Once I realized he is the greatest lord/hero killer of all time it all started to click. Just send him and his Whirlwind Axe to the enemy general and in like 4 hits you have a fleeing army. I know he has issues with mounted lords knocking him around, but I haven't encountered anything like that yet.

Some Orc units do seem redundant, and I haven't nailed down any useful strategy beyond stack rock lobbers for dwarf smashy. Trolls are deceptively bad, and I only use them to smash very weak targets or as shock cav to win individual unit fights my good boys are engaged in.

I turned off CnC for this one so I'll probably run it back again once i get my hands on the Vampirates next month.

Looking forward to the badlands hellwar being done and facing some more varied opponents. I am picturing a green tide running over Bretonnia and I am smiling.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

You guys are harshing my green buzz

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Back when Rome 1 was the newest poo poo I used to just edit units all the time, is there an easy way to mod this game?

Grimgor will be dragon man

Also link me some loving Grimgor books

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Wait, if I don't have King and the Warlord from TWW1 I'm missing greenskins units in Warhams 2? RoRs or just basic poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Hopefully I can learn to mod this game and I'm just going to give Grimgor a "mount" that makes him Heirotitan size with some sweet flame decals