Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Did they take out the option to have the campaign camera zoom in instead of only going up/down? I can't see it anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I encountered a dwarf rogue army with a few single model squig units. I expected some kind of monster but instead they were just single, 118hp normal sized. One died to eagle claw projectiles, the other decided to charge into a unit of rank 7 swordmasters...

...and exploded, killing 78 out of a 100 models of swordmasters.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

New Butt Order posted:

Skaven need to work like the pre-Warhammer games where your units will happily shoot each other in the back or put a volley of grapeshot straight through their commanding officer and turn him into salsa without even fuckin questioning the order.

Cannons lost a lot of their personality now that they no longer have a dozen dead friendlies laying in front of them.

I miss the Teuton catapults from M2TW Kingdoms that shot exploding barrels that could go off in mid flight, potentially destroying the unit's other siege engine if shooting sideways.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Can somebody tell me their opening moves for very hard hexoatl? I can just baaaaaarely win the starting battle, then the skeggi's second stack shows up and I lose.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm sure most people know this but for those that don't:

You can play the game on very hard and set the battle difficulty to normal or whatever you feel is better. On harder battle difficulties the AI gets stupid bonuses to morale, melee attack and melee defense.
So on very hard difficulty if you have a unit of spearmen and they have a unit of spearmen their spearmen will far out perform yours.
I know, I was asking about campaign stuff though.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The only Dark Elf who can't pass for a High Elf by wearing a dildo hat is Malekith and even he could pretend to be a Caledorian noble who got drunk and fell off his dragon mid-breath or something.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Shoot them with cannons. They can be staggered, cutting their rate of fire greatly. A $1600 cygor loses a gunnery duel against $800 great cannons.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Dwarfs finding out about that continental drift stuff would make an amusing wrinkle to the Age of Peace super end-game if you're not playing as them; all of dwarfkind automatically declares an non-negotiable war on every lizardman faction and gets a shield of civilization style trait that makes them willing to forgive every other kind of past transgression in exchange for joining their crusade against the cold bloods.

Imagine playing as vampires and halfway through securing your southeast you get a message from thorgrim going
>peace treaty
>military access
>military alliance
>declare war on hexoatl, last defenders, itza etc
and the adjoining voice quote is just incoherent shouts of rage.

Of course, rejecting it makes them lump you in with the 'zards.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey, I bet this has been gone over before but can anyone recommend a good high elf army composition for the final vortex battle? I play on Normal difficulty and usually just use multiple stacks of low-level infantry/archers with a couple of bolt-throwers along for the ride but that doesn't seem to be answer for the last fight.

Recommendations for other races also welcome.
I ran with:
lord
loremaster
eagle claw
eagle claw
phoenix guard
phoenix guard
dragon princes
dragon princes
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
armoured archers
armoured archers
armoured archers
armoured archers

but given how stupidly OP the vortex spell is, you can safely run with a lord and 19 seaboys.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Most of them are lost, but three of them are known: Neferata has one in the Silver Pinnacle, Zacharias the Eternal (of the Necrachs) has another one, and Mannfred Von Carstein has the last one. So, at least, this puts the Tomb Kings in a direct collision course with pretty much all Vampire factions.

That book was good and had some of the funniest Tomb King characters ever.
What book is this?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I can't wait for the Norsca nerfs, I tried to have a go at Legendary Malekith, succeeding in taking out my skaven neighbours, that other dark elf faction I start at war with and even the Mung and their 4 stacks, called in by the latter, just in time to get attacked by the Aghol that have now eaten every single dark elf faction east of me and are 13 provinces large, bringing 8 stacks.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Tried a Khatep legendary campaign, sort of stabilized at 3 provinces(after losing my home to beastmen) until Malekith, Tretch, Mazdamundi and a beastmen horde that spawned behind my lines all declared war on me, breaking two non-aggression pacts in the process(I guess I could expect this from Tretch but what the gently caress you loving traitorous frog???).

I think I'll have to drop the difficulty down to Very Hard.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Nash posted:

What are people’s mid to late game Khalida stacks look like? I’m usually rocking out with 7-8 archers, Khalida, lich priest, necrotect, and assorted ushtabi and snakes. I haven’t built any tier 4 units yet though.

I ran with a command squad of a, a necrotect, a liche priest and some form of artillery or counter-artillery such as carrion, a light ranged section of 4 skeleton archers, a heavy cavalry group consisting of two of each sphinx, heavy ranged group consisting of greatbow ubshati and depending on whether it's meant to siege anything or not, a final heavy infantry block of ubshati or some tomb guard solely for climbing on walls

Khalida's personal stack at the very end(after merging my entire allowance of super units into it) was herself, a necrotect, 10 greatbow ushabti and 4 of each type of sphinx to intercept the like 5 dudes that lived through two volleys of the archer doom blob, could have probably gone with 14 ushabti and 4 sphinx variants to the same effect and less strain on my big cat supply.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
A moose is a bull that nature decided needed another meter of range and leverage on all of it's stompy and gore-y bits, the treehugger clinging on to it's back is a secondary concern at best.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

A key difference is that the real silk road did not cross through Mordor.
The real life silk road passes though Aleppo and Raqqa so Warhammer has been vindicated by history on that count.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Ammanas posted:

You might have 1 too many stacks? although 1k profit/turn is ok. Keep expanding. Remember you can confed fellow elves by spending influence to curry favor
Up until this post I had literally forgotten influence has any purpose beyond buying better lords and heroes.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'd like to point out that RPS once started off their Halo Wars 2 review by stating that the tiny unit cap, infantry squads and individual activated abilities are exactly as one would remember from Red Alert 2.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Huh, I 100% know for certain RPS likened a real time tactics game to Red Alert 2 even though the two were nothing alike and being baffled at how weird it was, and I had it in my mind it was Halo Wars, I'll need to do some searching to see which game it was.

Edit: Their search only returns the first 10 or so results and google gives me every article that ever got paired with the news that Red Alert 2 and Amnesia were part of a free bundle somewhere once in the sidebar, basically all of them.

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 30, 2018

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm torn between doing a Durthu Sword run, Wulfric and warhammer's Galadriel who's name I can't remember right now.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
When does the patch release? Midnight CA time(1 hour from now?) or steam maintenance time(18 hours)

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
My first go at Wulfric I got most of norsca unified but collapsed when I got simultaneously attacked by Malekith, Hellebron, Louen, some empire count that ballooned up to 9 provinces and Kislev, mostly due to norscan lands being dirt poor and me only being able to afford 1½ stack of tier 1-3 troops.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Did the patch break elf confederations? I'm playing Alarielle and it's turn 51, I took out all the norscans in the north east corner and I'm now pushing into Hellebron's territory, every other elf faction has yellow levels of acceptance to being confederated the last 30 or so turns but nobody actually agrees to it.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Confeding elves is honestly pretty easy, since you can just spend 20 influence to boost their favour through the roof.
I have confederated everyone on Ulthuan except for Tyrion by turn 60 in my current game as Alarielle.
That's what I've been doing, everybody including Tyrion is my military ally with green relations even before I started influence boosting, he's power rank 18 with the rest hovering between 40 and 60 while I'm at 1 and they all have confederation at the yellow level for the past 50 tuns but never accept even if I offer them two turns worth of treasury for it.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Tyrion is apparently hard-coded to have a massive boner for the sword.

Working as intended.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
A thought just occurred to me that large amounts of slayer casualties should probably provide a bonus to the dwarf faction that just fulfilled a whole bunch of slayer oaths at once, something like +leadership for local armies or +public order.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Also fliers are the only large units that go on walls so they're completely safe from the strongest anti large which is usually large itself like carnosaurs or necrosphinxes. Just watch out for brets who have flying anti large pegasi.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

botany posted:

what are everyone's typical late game empire army compositions?
lord, mage, 18 tanks.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Anno posted:

I always have a hard time convincing myself not to use that fabulous wealth to turtle up after uniting Sylvania and powering through my buildings. I probably need to just have a few lords around without an army and just raise one starting a few turns before they need to stab stuff.
There's two paths to recruiting tier 5 stuff as VC/VC:
Option 1: build super tall stacking growth buildings, agent skills and all your money for dozens of turns to get Sylvania to the highest level of buildings.
Option 2: suicide 2 stacks of zombies into Ungrim before taking him out with a real army.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I don't think CA will do all 4 LL's clustered in a single corner of the map, I expect one Kislevite lord to have led an expedition through not-Siberia and ended up between Khateb and Malekith.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Efforts had been made to tame zebras for millenia but it turns out they are too aggressive. But in a fictional game that would work well-they're like horses but with a temperament to rip the throats out of lions.

Elephants are boring when Norsca already has mammoths, and Ogres will be riding on rhinoceruses anyway.

Ostrich riders are novel and they could get creative with certain units, like having packs of hyenas (or just straight up Gnolls) that get great bonuses vs zombie type enemies on account of being scavengers.

I guess imagine a middle ages version of Wakanda basically; itself just as advanced as it's northern counterparts but in unique ways.
I could see the southlands as a cavalry focussed faction led by not!Mansa Musa using all kinds of weird specialized animals. You've got the TK to the north and skaven to the south with endless skeletons and rats to be ground to dust by your big anti-infantry beasts and once you get big you can show kroq'gar why dinosaurs are extinct and your animals are not.

super quick & dirty list of things I can think of the top of my head:
tier 1:
hyena based war dog equivalent

tier 2:
gottagofast cheetas

tier 3:
feral zebras
zebra chariots(too aggressive for riders, charioteer is safely out of their biting kicking range though)
ostrich riders
anti-large camelry

tier 4
monstrous cav gastornis riders
a hippo but it's single model monster sized
monstrous sized pride of lions

tier 5
monstrous wildebeest shock cavalry(highest charge bonus and mass for their unit size but sloooow acceleration and turning)
mūmakil with the serial number filed off
mūmakil but now it has a howdah full of archers
mūmakil with a siege weapon in it's howdah(with a tier 4 forge building)
ninki nanka dragon-equivalent flier

commander mounts:
horse
zebra chariot
wildebeest
ninki nanka

and then do the lizardman thing and give the mūmakil to spellcasters

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Fixing this sort of thing would get me to buy the whole game all over again. It just seems so antiquated. Presumably it's expensive to sort out or they'd have dealt with it sometime in the last 10+ years. Seem myopic though since it's one of the things that makes Time Commander-style spinoffs look so ridiculous.
There's Time Commanders spinoffs???

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
As the fat ghost lady, what am I to do against Skeggi making peace with Hexoatl and calling them into the war against me? More specifically I need something to counter Mazdamundi showing up with a full stack of saurus and a blessed spawning temple guard against my mass zombie variants.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What do people use for the final battle as Luthor? I brought a haunter, 8 depth guard, 8 handgunners, a cannon and Bess and I died 2/3rds of the way through because my handgunners could barely get a shot off with how much cavalry/dogs/large units run through/around my front line and put them in melee.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I swapped in a gunnery wight as a replacement for my mourngul haunter to help my gunline bring down things before they can get into melee, waited for harkon's personality to change over to the broadside spell one and brought over the anti-large RoR handgunner, this time I had enough firepower to deal with everything that sprints through my melee line in phase 2. When the final army arrived, they all repositioned right on top of each other where they spawned and I dumped all my off map artillery, vangheist's, luthor's dragon breath and a queen bess salvo on it, killing 600 of them before they managed to extricate themselves.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'd be ok with the ritual armies if they only attacked the ritual sites.

Having an epic showdown at the walls of Hexoatl = cool
Recolonizing a bunch of minor settlements = not cool

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Come to think of it, I've never had to defend Sartosa/The Awakening, do VSea get their own siege maps or do they re-use VCount ones?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
War elephants continued for a really long time, their use just evolved from stepping on people to logistics. The last recorded use of an elephant in battle is one from Baghdad zoo getting drafted into being a living artillery tractor in 1987.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hi, it's me, AAAAA! Real Muenster, still trundling through an Empire play through. It's turn 99 and I just got another event about Chaos Rising. I just spent maybe 15 turns clowning on the first Chaos army from the north...will new ones keep getting announced when I kill off the previous one? Do I just need to go conquer the North Pole or something?

There's an initial set of armies that spawn with a cinematic, some reinforcements that get announced via event pop up when you kill off the last of the first group(way to be late to the party guys) and after a little while, the real invasion starts with the named characters leading it. Once those die, chaos stops being a thing outside Morathi/Beastmen/Rogue Armies(and of those, Vashnaar's Conquest is the only notably chaos-y one).

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Charles Mansion posted:

Close, indeed.
How'd you do this? Do the RoS Ushabti stay on the field if your last real unit has disintegrated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Hargrimm posted:

How are Hellebron's Blood Voyages supposed to work? I expected it to be a reskinned Brayherd/Waagh, but I couldn't even give them war coordination targets or anything. The turn after it spawned, Alith Anor declared war on me and the Blood Voyage faction broke our alliance instead of joining... Now I can't seem to interact with them in any way and they are just slooowly sailing off in the general direction of Ulthuan I guess?
Blood Voyages are basically unguided projectiles aimed at general vicinity Alarielle. They're there mostly to serve as a distraction and make the inevitable Helf blob chase after them for a few turns to slow down their expansion.