Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Decided to do a Settra campaign, and I must say:

Early game Tomb Kings versus Tomb King fights suuuuuuuuuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I will never understand why the pathing logic in this game makes such idiotic choices. Sea route that will reach a destination settlement in one turn? gently caress that, better take the land route that takes 3 turns through attrition territory.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

team overhead smash posted:

If you're on land it will never take you into the sea. You have to decide that manually.

Sure, but the game actively shows you that you're able to move somewhere in one turn when the lord is selected. It doesn't do anything to indicate this a different class of movement (similar to how it shows the march and normal movement areas differently). The UI for it is misleading.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Hmm.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Q: if we get playable/more lords Kislev, will all the lords' voice lines still be 80% "Kislev."?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Eej posted:

I own Queen and the Crone and I can't even tell you what's in it tbh

The Evvverqueen.

WaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

There's something to be said for the diversion provided by walking a lone warlock engineer across the entirety of the western continents establishing undercities though.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Wood Elves are fine in ME. The amber mechanic and requirements are stupid as gently caress, but manageable, and they're still one of my favorite lineups to play. You'll effectively be locked out of some of the units depending on which lord you choose, but can still field entirely competent, fun armies for SP.

On the other hand, Queen and the Crone gets you bits of WE as a HE faction, along with some good DE additions.

Vampirates is better than either and well worth the cost.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Finally playing VSea as a proper horde faction, rather than grabbing all territory I can, has gone rather well. Turns out you bank a shitload of money by sacking poo poo instead of conquering and not having to pay for building upgrades everywhere, who knew?

Aranessa has the Sword of Khaine for virtually no reason, since most everything dies well before melee range. Promethean Gunnery Mobs have mysteriously lost their ability to shoot (in an unmodded game), but again, cannons have already killed everything.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I've conquered all of Norsca with Nakai and I'm wondering if squatting at the Barsonling's Encampment until the Warriors of Chaos show up and then fighting them on their home turf is a good idea or the best idea. I've got lightning strike, a shitloat of boxigors, blessed temple guard and Saurus, blessed Stegadons and Carnosaurs and a Dread Saurian, Heavens Skink and a Carnosaur riding Scar Veteran, so I've got a pretty good army that can lightning strike chaos stacks.

I also finally got a skink chief down to chaqua so I'm close to getting the perfect vigour aura item, and getting started on the Kroak questline.

This should be fun.

I considered this, but then had the epiphany that all settlements controlled by DotGP are effectively equal, and that there really wasn't much point waiting around for Chaos waves to spawn and defending them when you can just get new settlements elsewhere.

Chaos can ravage the north--I don't care, maybe they'll knock the Brettonians down a notch after they conquered the Empire. My Great Plan demands crossing the ocean and rampaging through the Dark Elves.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Is it normal for Malekith to tool around with an army of 19 Witch Elves.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Time for a Kemmler campaign!
* Autoresolve odds for Vampire Counts are way, way lower than they should be. This is good in the sense that it makes me fight more battles, which is the fun part of the game.
* It's weird/annoying that the game makes autoresolve a strategic choice, since it's hard to pass up wiping out an enemy army entirely.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

queef anxiety posted:

i love durthu but gently caress paying amber for all the good units

you don't need to pay amber for the best durthu army: 18 treekin and a branchwraith

let the sharpears frolic in their groves, durthu's got killin to do

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

WoC and Beastmen just seem like the prototype horde factions before VSea and Nakai came out.

Welves campaign mechanics suck, but I love their armies and Durthu is a bitchin LL. No amber mods exist to make the mechanics less dumb and more flexible.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Ikit, we have a NAP. You are at war with both of your neighbours. WHY are you using your plague agents on me?!

schemes, yo. SCHEMES.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

the beaglerush TWWH2 series aren't going to teach you how to play the game by any means (I'll second Arkcard for that--he's very responsive to any questions chat has about why he's doing what he's doing), but they are goddamn entertaining.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I did a Clan Eshin campaign and faction dominance/relations are all kinds of hosed.

Karak Kadrin have gently caress all, basically Grombrindal and Thogrim wandering around 5 settlements. Zhufbar owns most of the mountains. Both love me because of our mutual wars against the Greenskins.

Khemri is apparently just gone. Clan Mors owns almost all of the southeast, along with whatever remnants of Clan Skyre they confederated.

Khalida holds onto a sliver of land, which primarily serves to prevent me from trading with Clan Mors.

Lustria is a mess insofar as Teclis is somehow not dead, and controls territory inland. Skink Moses and Wulfrik are dead.

I have no idea what the Empire are doing, but Castle Drakenhof is still providing me with juicy undercity income well into turn 120+.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Doin a Lokhir campaign to try out the new Black Ark mechanics after trying Malus and realizing that his is useless (and also that the Tzarkan campaign mechanic is garbage). They're drat good!

I'm still not really sure how you're supposed to do Lokhir's campaign itself though. Last time I played it (before Sotek and Itza were proper factions) I said gently caress the Karond Kar quest and just conquered Lustria, but got bored when it devolved into fighting endless Chaos waves that spawn in the sea right next to you and immediately sail straight at all your cities.

This time around I thought I'd use the improved Black Arks to take Karond Kar, but would at least secure the coast first. This took forever between the endless Skaven and Vampiric corruption necessitating endless babysitting and The Awakening having a strong garrison. When I'd sorted those out I only had enough time to get halfway up Ulthuan and sack one city before I had to go back and fight Puppets of Chaos forever.

Is taking Karond Kar before Chaos shows up feasible? I'm not good at this game by any means, but it seems like you'd have to basically abandon the south (and all your income) on a gamble.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Plus Settra is one of the best VA performances in the game. BOW BEFORE YOUR KING, SLAVE

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I never put Aranessa on her mount because it's borderline useless and goddamnit Aranessa deserves to be a harpoon ninja flipping through crowds on dual peg legs screaming at the top of her lungs.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

being in the general vicinity of high elves loving sucks

While I don't disagree, who cares about losing dickhand chaff in exchange for 3 phoenixes and a dragon, among other things?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

The Sword of Khaine has been claimed!

By... some random Kislev lord?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Finally bothered to play a game past Chaos, though it's getting to the point where managing armies and settlements is a chore and I'll probably stop it once I own all of Lustria and Naggarond as Lokhir.

Not entirely sure how Malekith went from owning all of Naggarond and Ulthuan around the time of the Chaos invasion to having half of Naggarond conquered by Lothern and the other half conquered by The Empire and Kislev, ultimately winding up with 2-4 settlements there. He's slowly losing Ulthuan to Brettonia and Nakai, who can somehow colonize settlements now. I think it has something to do with this strategy:

Those are each full 20-stack arks. At this point, there were no nearby Empire armies, and the arks have been sitting there idle for the past 3-4 turns.

Fucker has basically no territory left and still won't confederate.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

litany of gulps posted:

Gutter Runners are FAST - fully upgraded, they can outrun heavy cavalry, so you don't have a huge amount to worry about in terms of them getting chased down if you aren't micromanaging. They've got that slow aura around them, and they actually do significant damage.

My Eshin campaign tended towards mostly gutter runner armies, with slingers in the back. It worked better than it should, and led to wonderful nonsense mosh pit battle lines.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Another "what DLC" question.

The only ones I don't have are:

Hunter and the Beast - reviews say bad

The King and the Warlord - reviews say good

The Grim and the Grave - reviews say good

Call of the Beastmen - reviews say bad

Chaos Warriors - reviews say bad

Realm of the Wood Elves - reviews say bad

So thinking the two that are good? Anything redeemable about the others or maybe that the steam reviewers are wrong and don't know what they're talking about.

H&B: horde factions of all varieties are fun, and this effectively gives you a Lizardman horde. Apparently people like the Markus campaign too.

Wood Elves: the campaign mechanics are pretty poo poo (unless you want to actually finish the campaign, in which case it becomes one of the easier ME campaign goals). The armies are fun. You can have good enough fun ignoring the campaign mechanics, and downloading a disable amber requirements mod if you like.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

I have no idea how anyone completes a "Long" campaign

:ssh: nobody does

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

here is my drunk predictions

next DLC and FLC will be dark elves vs vampire counts with a skaven FLC lord

nah, gimme a wood elf horde faction

cmon CA you know you want to

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the Wood Elf part of the DLC comes with a Vortex start for Wood Elves and an associated LL, and another paid DLC lord for an as-yet-unnamed race (though my guess is its for the same one getting a revisit) that's their antagonist faction. My guess is Throt the Unclean leading Moulder with Skaven getting the rework, since they're on the same continent as the Bowmen of Oreon in Vortex and while they don't really need a rework they fit best for WE antagonist factions and are notably missing both on Vortex and ME. I suppose Throt could still come in as a DLC faction while another faction gets the rework treatment, but in both previous Lord packs featuring WH1 races, one of the headline Lords' races got the rework. And their dev blog post explicitly says that the WH2 core race revisit is different from the WH1-style WE revisit. In either case, if the Skaven don't get it, I think the Lizardmen do.

As far as I know, the DLC is a new Vortex/ME Wood Elf LL with new mechanics and an LL for an unknown faction. There's also a free race revisit for an unknown WH2 race that could be (probably is) the same race as the unknown LL faction, a free ME Wood Elf rework in addition to the new Vortex Wood Elf faction, and a FreeLC LL for the Athel Loren-style Wood Elves if you own the WH1 Wood Elves DLC. Everyone also gets a FreeLC hero of unknown race. It feels very much in line with both the Hunter/Beast and Grim/Paunch DLCs except the FreeLC is tied to owning WH1+first WE DLC.

e: I see you already have thoroughly discussed this. Chaos/Beastmen not getting reworks when they're pretty much in the worst state of any of the factions (WE aside) kind of sucks but maybe they'll include those in WH3 first thing.

i am very excite for the thread title to change to "Total War: Warhammer 2 - Orion Crushes The Asur Scum Between His Massive Thighs"

or the new WE lord, hopefully they will also have massive bare thighs with bulging green veins

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Gonkish posted:

That's the Naggaroth end of the final wave of the legendary setting for the Chaos invasion.

Welp. RIP Malekith or Tyrion, whomever ends up snowballing up there.

This is perfect: finally I can play the best Dark Elf, Lokhir Felheart, and not have to babysit Lustria as endless waves of Chaos boats spawn off my coastline.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

ArchRanger posted:

How should I be using skirmishers

Play Sniktch! All skirmishers, all the time! When you set every unit to skirmish mode, who needs lines?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

They probably have worked more on Cathay honestly but like, Kislev had quite a decent amount of stuff already.

wait, what? i thought all it had were empire units and a few voice lines for diplomacy.

granted, i would love if CA released it with "Kislev." as basically the only diplo line, but i don't have high hopes.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

the voiceover is extremely goofy and entirely appropriate. i love it. also love that Keeper strut. i look forward to spewing pus all over the place.

10h loop of that opening "DEATH." line read plz

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

wait, what, there's a mod to make grimgor more conventionally attractive?

what does it do, give him a sweet rear end?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah with there already being 4 demon factions and a likely (at least minor) rework of Warriors of Chaos stuff I'm hoping its a not-Chaos aligned faction. I'm still hoping for surprise Chaos Dwarfs but I know its very not likely.

especially given how a lot of their rosters seem a bit... sameish.

you get a basic chaff demon and soul grinder and cultist! and you get a basic chaff demon and soul grinder and cultist! and you get a basic chaff demon and soul grinder and cultist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Aurubin posted:

I'll go the opposite just to be contrarian. Rome II launch, slow as Attila, DLC like War of the Eight Princes; nothing but different colored bloodthirsters going at it, and, uh, I dunno everyone talks with a welsh accent to throw the Britannia one in there, even if I kinda liked that.

i mean, i like welsh accents, but who tf is playing 3K with english VA for anything but the main narrator lady